Fallout 3 - Which version to get?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salta06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Salta06
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts

Hi all,

I'm after opinions/thoughts from those that have played the various versions of Fallout 3. I'm undescided if the GameSpot review is accurate with regards to the PS3 version and it's technical issues resulting in a score of 8.5. I have a XBOX 360, PS3 and a PC (built for Crysis so should run Fallout 3 okay) so am looking for pros and cons for all three versions of the game.

Fan boys need not reply, am after feedback from those with hands on time with more than one version of the game.

Thanks in advance

Salta

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Fallout 3 Scored much higher points in regards of Graphics on PC compared to the others, Also you can take down fan made mods such as new weapons, clothes, skins, hair and even more towns and quests.
tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

PC > 360 > PS3

LGTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#4 LGTX
Member since 2009 • 858 Posts

You can apply mods and high-res assets to the PC version.

Also, there are less issues with DLCs.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Without a doubt the PC version. Better graphics (especially if you use a modded high res texture set) and as is the case with every Bethesda game the mod community fixes any issue you may have had with the game. I have mods, for example, that give me an inebriation effect when drinking (the screen gets progressively blurrier the more you drink and after awhile you get double vision and things start moving around) and allow me to blast open locked doors and chests with explosives.

Also, a bonus with the PC version is that if you encounter glitches that would have normally broken a game on the 360/PS3 versions you can probably use a console command to get past it on the PC version. For example, there was this point in the game where I needed to clean out a building to finish of the main quest. I had killed every enemy in there but the game still wasn't saying I completed it. Eventually I figured out that an enemy had somehow glitched behind a door that couldn't be unlocked until later in the game after completing a quest. If I had been playing on the console versions I would have had to restart the game or at best revert back to a save and lost 10+ hours of gameplay (since I had given up on the quest for awhile, done a lot of stuff, and then come back to try to complete it). But because I was using the PC version I just noclipped behind the door, killed the enemy, and finished the quest.

So if your PC can handle it, the PC version is definitely the way to go (as is the case with just about every game). There isn't even the issue of achievements with Fallout 3 since the PC version still nets you achievements on your xbox live profile.

HondaSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HondaSnake
Member since 2007 • 502 Posts
As mentioned above, definitely get the PC version (Better Graphics/Sound and mods through the G.E.C.K.). As well as better controls imo. I still haven't bought a copy for myself unfortunately, my stores in town never seem to have a copy on the PC :( .
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

As mentioned above, definitely get the PC version (Better Graphics/Sound and mods through the G.E.C.K.). As well as better controls imo. I still haven't bought a copy for myself unfortunately, my stores in town never seem to have a copy on the PC :( .HondaSnake

Just download it off Steam, that's what I did.

king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts
For the record, the PS3 version got a patch that fixed all the problems. The PC version is best, PS3 and 360 are tied.
HondaSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HondaSnake
Member since 2007 • 502 Posts

[QUOTE="HondaSnake"]As mentioned above, definitely get the PC version (Better Graphics/Sound and mods through the G.E.C.K.). As well as better controls imo. I still haven't bought a copy for myself unfortunately, my stores in town never seem to have a copy on the PC :( .gameguy6700

Just download it off Steam, that's what I did.

I would, but I prefer a hard copy and box. I'm in no hurry to buy it though, I've got lots of others to play at the moment. :)
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

PC > 360 > PS3

tomo90

BOOM headshot (implying he nailed it :P)

i got it on the 360 and im glad i did

but i wish it had the PC's "geck" editor thing and possibiltys for player created content

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts
For the record, the PS3 version got a patch that fixed all the problems. The PC version is best, PS3 and 360 are tied.king23_
does the PS3 get the dlc also? i just checked and no so 360 takes the lead
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I'd go with the 360 because it's technically more sound than the PS3 + it has those exclusive DLCs.

PC version may look slightly better, but I really can't tell the difference. Plus, PC's with Bethesda games have some technical issues that varies between PCs, from my own experience. And if you don't have a super powerful CPU, than it's really not that much of a difference and can cause more problems.

And I don't think the PC's have those extra DLC levels.

So 360 is the best one.

Salta06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 Salta06
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts

Thanks all for the feedback, was exactly what I was after.

I guess I'll have to work out if I really want to sit through playing a RPG on the PC. Our home office is geared for work needs so if I want comfort I'll have to consider the console version so I can enjoy it in the media room. The dam consoles have made me very lazy these days......

Thanks again to all for the replies, much appreciated.

Salta

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

I'd go with the 360 because it's technically more sound than the PS3 + it has those exclusive DLCs.

PC version may look slightly better, but I really can't tell the difference. Plus, PC's with Bethesda games have some technical issues that varies between PCs, from my own experience. And if you don't have a super powerful CPU, than it's really not that much of a difference and can cause more problems.

So 360 is the best one.

ASK_Story

PC version does have DLC...not that any PC gamer would play them, given the amount of custom content avaliable.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

So 360 is the best one.

cobrax75

PC version does have DLC...not that any PC gamer would play them, given the amount of custom content avaliable.

Than the answer is simple: If you have a monster computer, get the Windows version. If you don't, then the 360 version will be just as good. Personally, there's really no difference. The game will be good and the same either way, unless you want mods, but I was never into mods. I only trust official developer add-ons, etc.
thekodaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thekodaman
Member since 2006 • 1733 Posts
Avoid the PS3 version, ignore any comments above that say the PS3 isn't bugged - it's horribly, game-breakingly bugged and damn ugly to boot (no AA, low res textures, poor draw distances etc). For example during the "You Gotta Shoot Them in the Head" quest, not only did the black widow perk cease working but when Mister Crowley died the quest didn't mark itself as failed even when I got my money from Tenpenny. As stated above by some wise souls PC > 360 > PS3.
Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
If you have a good PC. Then get it for PC. There are tons of mods with more coming out every day.
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
I havnt had any problems on my PS3 version. But if you have PS3, Xbox360 and PC, and you want the DLC then dont get it on PS3
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
Whatever you do, just avoid the PS3 version.
repoman225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 repoman225
Member since 2009 • 34 Posts
The Xbox version so can actually get the DLC for it...