Fallout 3 Walkthrough Guides, do they SPOIL the fun?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

I am convinced that some games are ENHANCED with walkthrough guides, wheras others are SPOILED.

Like lost odyssey, its just so much more fun to play with a guide, wheras it was frustrating and sooo easy to miss great content without a guide.

Is Fallout 3 or GTAIV or MGS4 or Double Agent also enhanced or are they spoiled with guides?

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I'd say they'd spoil the game - a big component of Fallout 3 is the exploration, which would be diminished quite a bit if you knew where everything was right off the bat and where to go to find specific quests. Using it after playing the game for a while would be fine, of course, as you definitely wouldn't stumble across all there is to see on your own unless you have a ton of time.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I never found the fallout 3 guide to spoil anything, I mainly used it to figure out where some quests began.
multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

Thing is. ...are some quests UNOBTAINABLE after a certain point, (ie u cant do a quest if u are over a certain level, or u cant go back to a region u previously were at)...in games like these, i would use a guide.

I guess my question is... does Fallout 3 have sidequests where u cant go back and do them after u pass a certain point?

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

I honestly don't know. When itcame to Fallout 3 I pretty much did ti all myself. Except for the unique guns list. I checked that out so i could find the good stuff.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#6 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
It's fun to play and explore on my own in Fallout 3 but when it comes to certain quest I want to at least know a little about it. I try not to read word for word to spoil anything, and sometimes I've even had to stop reading when I think something was going to be spoiled. But I just played through Operation Anchorage and then went back to read about it only to find out that I could have done a glitch to keep a lot of the items in the simulation. So I ended up doing that for my other character 8)
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#7 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Personally I think that a guide is acceptable if you've been stuck on a certain boss/mission ect for days or even weeks.. But continually relying on a guide due to frustration or lack of patience isn't the usual comment from ya average individual who enjoys gaming..

Ask yourself a question "Why do I enjoy gaming ?"

The whole point of gaming (especially sand box titles like F.3) is the simple fact that exploration, exploration and more exploration is thekey.. which eventually opens up all undiscovered doors to the player.. even if it takes the player over 200/300 hours to open up the entire map of a game like F.3.. at least you've accomplished it by yourself !

Drop the guides, your wrecking your whole gaming experience !

ShadowedSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShadowedSight
Member since 2008 • 1902 Posts

^This.

I think it's ridiculous to refuse a guide if you are frustrated and can not figure out a game for the longest time. I'm all for exploration and such, but you've got to draw the line somewhere, you know?

warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 warbmxjohn
Member since 2007 • 6014 Posts

It is nothing more than personal preference. I don't have time to explore every game in depth to get everything I want, I like being pointed in the right direction. I didn't play Fallout 3 to explore, as much as I did to have all the badass weapons and armor and annihilate everything. I play RPG's to get all the best equipment AND take in the story. But my priority is the best equipment. Without a walkthrough it would take too much time to discover all the goods, and even then it's far too easy to miss out.

1fast6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 1fast6
Member since 2004 • 729 Posts

a guide in a game can kinda be like using a guide or program in a museum, gallery, or exhibit.. good thing to have if you want to find particular things or experience as much of the game as you can without wasting a bunch of time just wandering around...