Fallout 2 vs. Chrono Trigger : Which is the better Game/RPG?

Edited 17 days, 1 hour ago

Poll: Fallout 2 vs. Chrono Trigger : Which is the better Game/RPG? (21 votes)

Fallout 2 38%
Chrono Trigger 62%

Which has the better gameplay, story & characters and overall vibe?

IMO both are landmark games in the RPG genre, but Fallout 2 is just better overall. Anyway, what you guys think?

#1 Posted by Archangel3371 (28518 posts) -

Easily Chrono Trigger for me. Not only is it my favourite RPG of all time its also my number one game of all time.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#2 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21589 posts) -

Apples and bowling balls.

#3 Posted by RSM-HQ (8603 posts) -

Not even a contest.

#4 Edited by omegaMaster (1318 posts) -

Chrono Trigger by a very large margin

#5 Posted by TJDMHEM (2150 posts) -

chrono trigger.

#6 Posted by uninspiredcup (34940 posts) -

Depends on what you value.

For choice and consequences as well as writing, obviously Fallout 2.

#7 Posted by RSM-HQ (8603 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

For choice and consequences

Hmm_

I'm going to take the wild guess you haven't played Chrono Trigger.

The game that kills the main protagonist mid-game and the player can leave him dead through the playthrough. Can even go and kill Lavos early-game.

Chrono Trigger has fifteen endings based on choices.

#8 Edited by uninspiredcup (34940 posts) -
@RSM-HQ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

For choice and consequences

Hmm_

I'm going to take the wild guess you haven't played Chrono Trigger.

The game that kills the main protagonist mid-game and the player can leave him dead through the playthrough. Can even go and kill Lavos early-game.

Chrono Trigger has fifteen endings based on choices.

Which is still nothing compared to Fallout 2 or most Western RPG's.

Have you played Fallout 2? You entire game is built around decision making. Not just the multiple endings.

You can kill anyone at pretty much any time.

#9 Posted by RSM-HQ (8603 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

That's nice.

#10 Edited by uninspiredcup (34940 posts) -
@RSM-HQ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

That's nice.

I mean, you're the one that dinged me with a proclamation.

Sorry if the actual reality didn't abide to it.

Also that's a specific aspect, not the sum of it's parts. I take The Legend Of Heroes over most WRPG's these days and it basically has no choice or consequences, like the majority of JRPG's it's a fixed adventure.

#11 Posted by Vaidream45 (2034 posts) -

How can these even begin to be compared?

#12 Edited by RSM-HQ (8603 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

Just threw out something you seemed unaware of when it comes to choices and consequences in Chrono Trigger. A game you made the assumption is lacking in those areas, seemingly on a whim because you like Fall Out 2.

So seeing as you claim to care for those functions in RPGs; pointed it out. When the Vault 13 'Chosen One' dies the game ends. When Crono dies the game continues_

Point and relevance

Also your perspective on taste isn't really "reality" that's a trivialising statement. I'm not here to tell you what you can and cannot enjoy. That's what bigots do ツ You can prefer and enjoy whatever game you like. That doesn't make the opposite game mentioned any less what it is.

As for "Western RPGs" I like Divinity: Original Sin II. It's one of my personal favorites.

I made my reply simple because I don't divide games in that manner. Find that it creates more arguments than interesting discussions.

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (34940 posts) -
@RSM-HQ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Just threw out something you seemed unaware of when it comes to choices and consequences in Chrono Trigger

What I "thew out" was objectively, quantifiably correct.

There is no subjectivity or user unique interpretation here when it comes to choice and consequences, you dictate the game-world far more extensively in Fallout 2, even the character build itself before the game starts dictates player interaction.

In this regard, it far exceeds Chrono Trigger.

@RSM-HQ said:

Also your perspective on taste isn't really "reality" that's a trivialising statement.

The only point here that could be perceived as subjective is my comment on writing, which is fine, cool, i'll accept that.

Choice and consequences? Nope.

game you made the assumption is lacking in those areas, seemingly on a whim because you like Fall Out 2.

Compared to Fallout 2 is does.

*shrug*

Again, sorry if that reality annoys you. It is what it is.

So seeing as you claim to care for those functions in RPGs; pointed it out. When the Vault 13 'Chosen One' dies the game ends. When Crono dies the game continues_

I'm not sure what your arguing here. If you think that's a cool gimmick, great?

I'm not here to tell you what you can and cannot enjoy. That's what bigots do ツ You can prefer and enjoy whatever game you like. That doesn't make the opposite game mentioned any less what it is.

Literally said that twice.

See A

Depends on what you value.

See B

Also that's a specific aspect, not the sum of it's parts.

The basic point here is a comment on choice and consequences.

If that's what you value, Fallout 2 is better mechanically in this regard.

By JRPG standards (and that time-frame) Chrono Trigger is impressive and innovative. In the larger scheme of things when we put it up against CRPG's, it is rather limited. Stuff like Fallout 2, Planescape Torment, Gothic, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Arcanum etc... all best it in that regard.

#14 Posted by Planeforger (18103 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: The "Vault 13 chosen one"?

It sounds like you aren't super familiar with Fallout 2. The main character is the Chosen One, but they don't come from vault 13. They're native to the wasteland itself.

Also, from memory, if your party dies in either game, you're deas and it's game over. There's one specific point in Chrono Trigger's story that's different - but that's a story beat, not some general feature of the game.

Anyway, Chrono Trigger is fantastic, but Fallout 2 wins for me. It's a landmark open world RPG with a ridiculous amount of roleplaying freedom.

I can't think of many games that top Fallout 2 in its subgenre, whereas Chrono Trigger is fairly interchangeable with other JRPGs of its era (particularly FF6, which is arguably the better game).

#15 Posted by bussinrounds (3176 posts) -

What a shocker all the ppl with anime pics say CT.

What do console/JRPG weebs know about proper RPGs anyway

#16 Edited by RSM-HQ (8603 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

There is no subjectivity or user unique interpretation here when it comes to choice and consequences, you dictate the game-world far more extensively in Fallout 2, even the character build itself before the game starts dictates player interaction.

Never stated Fall Out 2 was insignificant for choice mechanics in anyway, that is you being pretentious without much reason. Was conveying Chrono Trigger has those RPG features you like. In the same quantity? Probably not but are still in the product.

Again, sorry if that reality annoys you. It is what it is.

Don't know why you think I'm annoyed. . You are on a forum called 'Games Discussions', pardon if you don't like discussing games. Will note that for future.

I'm not sure what your arguing here. If you think that's a cool gimmick, great?

Well yeah, main characters rarely get killed off and the choice to leave them dead. Suppose I do find that cool lol.

If that's what you value, Fallout 2 is better mechanically in this regard.

Well. . . I have played Fall Out 2 and the first one and honestly is just a bit too text heavy for me, I compare it heavily with playing Ultima VII. I see the appeal but tend to value games more from different aspects. My whole point was to explain Chrono Trigger isn't devoid of those features, nothing more, nothing less.

Escalating the subject into Occident v. Asian RPGs is just a conversation I've seen get very messy here on GD; so would prefer avoiding that at all cost. As @bussinrounds is showing us by example.

@Planeforger said:

@RSM-HQ: The "Vault 13 chosen one"?

It sounds like you aren't super familiar with Fallout 2. The main character is the Chosen One, but they don't come from vault 13. They're native to the wasteland itself.

Haha game stories rarely stick with me in honesty. Beaten Original Sin II on Honor mode and all I recall was the twist with the void creatures. Fall Out 2 think put about a dozen hours before deciding it wasn't for me.

Also, from memory, if your party dies in either game, you're deas and it's game over. There's one specific point in Chrono Trigger's story that's different - but that's a story beat, not some general feature of the game.

Did note this in my first reply to UninspiredCup. Though would argue Chrono Trigger makes actions have consequences very apparent early-on, and continues through the game. Maybe not in the same way as games mimicking 1970 Tabletop/ adventure novel perception systems, but is within the mechanics of player choices.

particularly FF6, which is arguably the better game

Cannot say I preferred Final Fantasy VI but that's a different conversation, for a different time.

@bussinrounds said:

What a shocker all the ppl with anime pics say CT.

Your profile picture is a blurry cyborg gimp, so not sure user avatars to establish 'superiority', is a wise idea.

Food for thought.

#17 Edited by uninspiredcup (34940 posts) -
@RSM-HQ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Never stated Fall Out 2 was insignificant for choice mechanics in anyway, that is you being pretentious without much reason.

I did, which is explicitly what you were replying to and taking issue with.

And now you've jumped the gun to personal attacks getting emotionally invested where it becomes tit for tat rather than the actual topic.

#18 Edited by RSM-HQ (8603 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:
@RSM-HQ said:

Never stated Fall Out 2 was insignificant for choice mechanics in anyway, that is you being pretentious without much reason.

I did, which is explicitly what you were replying to and taking issue with.

And now you've jumped the gun to personal attacks getting emotionally invested where it becomes tit for tat rather than the actual topic.

. . "personal". . What the hell is happening here?

Look dood! I read your post and considered carefully what write/ translate/ edit. Do however throw notes of jest and light banter. Usually to fit the tone of what/who I'm replying to and from scanning over, as did you.

Cannot tell if you are either extremely sensitive, or what. Yet will be wary of this in future seeing as my intent was not "attacking" anyone.

Have nice day/ night; mean no ill-will.

*Back to poll; Chrono Trigger still better game in my humble opinion (^o^)v

#19 Posted by SOedipus (11577 posts) -

I dunno, they're so different. I think that Chrono Trigger is the better game. I just had more fun playing it. Fallout 2 is awesome and it's, objectively, a better RPG.