Expensive or cheap headset for online gaming?

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

What do you guys choose? I'm fairly new to co op multiplayer, and started chatting with friends in the Destiny beta. I absolutely hate that cheap earplug mic that came with the PS4, so I'm getting something better.

The question is: how much better? Been looking at that PS4 Gold wireless 7.1 set but don't know if I want to spend $100 for that. On the opposite side I've also been looking at the $15 variety cheapies.

I know one is a replacement for my sound system and the other is just a slight upgrade over what I have already.

I guess what I want to know is what you guys use and why?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44150 Posts

I like the mid-range headsets, $70 - $100 Turtle Beach are my favourite.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zen_Light

@Archangel3371 said:

So you prefer all audio in the headset as opposed to one ear mic transmissions and one ear for a surround system. How does 7.1 SS in a headset compare to a 5.1 DD open sound system?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Aways go cheap first. You don't need audio fidelity to hear your buddies swear at the enemy team. The 15 bucks headset will suit you fine, and if you find they don't, you can always upgrade later.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Archangel3371

@Zen_Light said:

@Archangel3371 said:

So you prefer all audio in the headset as opposed to one ear mic transmissions and one ear for a surround system. How does 7.1 SS in a headset compare to a 5.1 DD open sound system?

I'm not really a sound buff so all I can say is that they sound very good to me.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Archangel3371

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Aways go cheap first. You don't need audio fidelity to hear your buddies swear at the enemy team. The 15 bucks headset will suit you fine, and if you find they don't, you can always upgrade later.

Yeah because "hearing your buddies swear at the enemy team" is all that ever goes on. Cue eyeroll.

If you always go cheap first then you'll just end up wasting money if you want to upgrade. It's always best to do a little research and some places you can even try out various headsets.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@Archangel3371 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Yeah because "hearing your buddies swear at the enemy team" is all that ever goes on. Cue eyeroll.

If you always go cheap first then you'll just end up wasting money if you want to upgrade. It's always best to do a little research and some places you can even try out various headsets.

He openly said he needs it for online gaming and he just wants a replacement for the crappy PS4 earplug (which only does voice chat). It doesn't sound like he needs surround sound and expensive turtle beaches. Especially in case he already has a decent TV with a good sound setup. If he can solve the problem with a cheap set, why spend more?

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I'm skeptical of the brands that make cheap PS4 headsets.

Is there any sort of adapter for PS4 that might allow you to use PC headsets? There are tons of great, and cheap headsets for PC.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@Archangel3371 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

He openly said he needs it for online gaming and he just wants a replacement for the crappy PS4 earplug. It doesn't sound like he needs about surround sound and expensive turtle beaches. Especially if he has a decent TV with a good sound setup.

No he said he wants a better replacement for what he has now but is unsure about what to get and asked what others used.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@Archangel3371 said:

No he said he wants a better replacement for what he has now but is unsure about what to get and asked what others used.

And that's why he should go cheap first, imho. When the choice is between $15 and $100 equipment, it's no big deal if the $15 one doesn't cut it, and if it does it's 85 bucks saved. Plus, there are user reviews, it's not as easy to buy a total piece of shit these days.

If, on the other hand, he's intersted in quality headsets for combined audio, I'm with you, go expensive. Voice chat though? Go cheap.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@papatrop said:

I'm skeptical of the brands that make cheap PS4 headsets.

Is there any sort of adapter for PS4 that might allow you to use PC headsets? There are tons of great, and cheap headsets for PC.

No adapters needed. Any USB headset should plug right in.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archangel3371

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@Archangel3371 said:

And that's why he should go cheap first, imho. When the choice is between $15 and $100 equipment, it's no big deal if the $15 one doesn't cut it, and if it does it's 85 bucks saved. Plus, there are user reviews, it's not as easy to buy a total piece of shit these days.

If, on the other hand, he's intersted in quality headsets for combined audio, I'm with you, go expensive. Voice chat though? Go cheap.

Well it's not either $15 or $100 there's plenty inbetween. Simply going cheap first seems like it would be a potential money waster to me. Why keep going incrementally higher instead of doing a bit of research such as asking questions in places such as here or trying out some product at a store and settling on something sooner. Anyway I guess if simply voice chat is all that he's after then he can get pretty good piece fairly inexpensive but I've only purchased the mid-range Turtle Beaches so I have no recommendations on those.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@Archangel3371 said:

Well it's not either $15 or $100 there's plenty inbetween. Simply going cheap first seems like it would be a potential money waster to me. Why keep going incrementally higher instead of doing a bit of research such as asking questions in places such as here or trying out some product at a store and settling on something sooner. Anyway I guess if simply voice chat is all that he's after then he can get pretty good piece fairly inexpensive but I've only purchased the mid-range Turtle Beaches so I have no recommendations on those.

Yes, I'm totally with you on that, I'm simply saying that if the desired result can be achieved with a cheap-ass solution, there's no risk in trying. $15-20 is virtually nothing. Mad Catz makes some cheap but pretty decent headsets for voice chat alone, like this one.

And hey, if cheap doesn't do it for him he knows he's the middle-top tier kind of guy and he can keep the crap ones as emergency replacement and get in the market for good ones. Sounds like a devilish plan to me ;)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Archangel3371
@Black_Knight_00 said:

@Archangel3371 said:

Yes, I'm totally with you on that, I'm simply saying that if the desired result can be achieved with a cheap-ass solution, there's no risk in trying. $15-20 is virtually nothing. Mad Catz makes some cheap but pretty decent headsets for voice chat alone, like

this one.

And hey, if cheap doesn't do it for him he knows he's the middle-top tier kind of guy and he can keep the crap ones as emergency replacement and get in the market for good ones. Sounds like a devilish plan to me ;)

Fair enough and that one does look to be pretty good.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zen_Light

Thanks, guys. Think I'll try that headset BK suggested. It looks better than that $15 Sony one.