Epiphany: This gen games are completely Soul less.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SpecialForcesOp
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SpecialForcesOp
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

After owning all three consoles since there launch.

I've reverted back to playing MGS1 on the PS3 with 1080p Upscaling.

Playing Rallisport Challenge 2 on my Xbox 1.

And Street Fighter 3: Third Strike on XBL. 

This gen feels so cold and devoid of fun. 

AbusementPark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 AbusementPark
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts

No, the Soul series is still alive; Soulcalibur Legends is in development for the Wii right now.

...Yeah, I know what you meant, I just wanted to show you that by capitalizing a single word, the entire meaning of a sentence can be changed. Watch your spelling next time.

yomi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 yomi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3915 Posts

I've always felt it was best to judge a generation of consoles within 6 months of launch. As we all know the launch games usually are the best representation of the games that will follow.
:?
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I've always felt it was best to judge a generation of consoles within 6 months of launch. As we all know the launch games usually are the best representation of the games that will follow.

:?yomi_basic

6 months??  Wow that's a bit premature IMO.....I would give them at least a year to two years to even begin to show what is to come later on, as a generation's lifespan usually spans 3-4 years at best for most consoles.  Although with Sony saying the PS3's lifespan will last 10 years(I sincerely hope not, for other systems will by then be leaps and bounds past them in terms of techology), I would still give them the benefit of the doubt for 3 years to be able to fully exploit what the PS3 can do when fully realized. 

Most hardware is overshadowed by new hardware anyways when the old ones are just starting to reach their prime.

PhoenixMDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PhoenixMDK
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts
[QUOTE="yomi_basic"]

:?Rekunta

6 months?? Wow that's a bit premature IMO.....I would give them at least a year to two years to even begin to show what is to come later on, as a generation's lifespan usually spans 3-4 years at best for most consoles.

Umm, I think your sarcasm detector is on the blink... 

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rekunta
[QUOTE="Rekunta"][QUOTE="yomi_basic"]

:?PhoenixMDK

6 months?? Wow that's a bit premature IMO.....I would give them at least a year to two years to even begin to show what is to come later on, as a generation's lifespan usually spans 3-4 years at best for most consoles.

DAMNIT!  I hate when that happens.  I'm such a tool. :cry:

Epoq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Epoq
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts
[QUOTE="PhoenixMDK"][QUOTE="Rekunta"][QUOTE="yomi_basic"]

DAMNIT! I hate when that happens. I'm such a tool. :cry:

So when that happens you start to hate? ;P

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rekunta
[QUOTE="Rekunta"][QUOTE="PhoenixMDK"][QUOTE="Rekunta"][QUOTE="yomi_basic"]

:?Epoq

You people are messin' with me.  I'm gonna start cracking skulls. :evil:
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

SpecialForcesOp

What must a game have in order to "have soul"?

IonescoF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 IonescoF
Member since 2007 • 3052 Posts
What else would someone expect from such a superficial world where games are made for money, not for fun?...
toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 toment
Member since 2005 • 8396 Posts
[QUOTE="SpecialForcesOp"]

Angry_Beaver

What must a game have in order to "have soul"?

I'm curious about this as well. My guess would be stuff like, easter eggs, or varied enviroments so that you can tell a person made this, and it's not just the same brown hallway-texture used throughout the game.

Or when I get so comfortable in the game world that I can spend hours just walking around trying out stuff I normally wouldn't where it a soul-less game.

I don't know. OP what do you mean? 

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
That's what people used to say about last gen.
yomi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yomi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3915 Posts
 :lol:
[QUOTE="Epoq"][QUOTE="Rekunta"][QUOTE="PhoenixMDK"][QUOTE="Rekunta"][QUOTE="yomi_basic"]

You people are messin' with me.  I'm gonna start cracking skulls. :evil:

:lol:

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts
I realize gamers are fickle, but damn. Can we wait until every console this gen has been out for at least a year before declaring the great decline of gaming?:?
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts
Well right now my next-gen expierence is only limited to the 360 but I've been having plenty of fun with games like Condemned, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Gears of War, and Command & Conquer 3 just to name a few and they felt like they had "soul" to me.
toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 toment
Member since 2005 • 8396 Posts

Is a soul in a game the same as a ghost in a cyborg shell?

LETS GET PHILOSOPHICAL! 

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#17 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

I realize gamers are fickle, but damn. Can we wait until every console this gen has been out for at least a year before declaring the great decline of gaming?:?MarcusAntonius

in the Doomsayer's Handbook of making gaming declarations, a year is 8 months too late... the accepted window is 3 weeks to 4 months to make claims like a system is dead, a game bombed, this gen sucks...

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
I've had incredible fun with this gen. I just don't understand what you mean by your argument. Maybe you played the wrong games? Or of course you expect the early games to be as good as the best of last gen...
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]I realize gamers are fickle, but damn. Can we wait until every console this gen has been out for at least a year before declaring the great decline of gaming?:?smerlus

in the Doomsayer's Handbook of making gaming declarations, a year is 8 months too late... the accepted window is 3 weeks to 4 months to make claims like a system is dead, a game bombed, this gen sucks...

Actually, for games, the accepted timeframe is 4 months before its release date.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
This could be a result of James Brown dying last Christmas.
kanedajjj5757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#21 kanedajjj5757
Member since 2007 • 1632 Posts
i could not agree more...
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts

If by soul he means that innovative spark that reminds us of why we love games, I can understand that - but it's only because so much has already been done by this point, and alot of the great games of this gen have been pretty "safe" - ie. gritty shooters, high fantasy rpg, zelda formula, etc.

However as mentioned above it's extremely early on in the console cycles for all 3 to criticize developers for this. There's already a handful of titles due in the near future that will most likely begin to fill the void in question: Bioshock, Little Big Planet, Spore, Super Mario Galaxy, and so forth.

I do think whether or not a game has soul is entirely subjective, and a game can be great fun and a lasting, worthwile experience without having that magical quality to it. But remember Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damacy and Odin Sphere weren't even on the radar during the early years of the PS2. And like you mentioned, if you really are truly bored with this generation so far, there's always plenty of older games to relive and catch up on while waiting for something new that hits the same spot.

Idonomeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Idonomeus
Member since 2006 • 2273 Posts
I'm a fan of EA, so soul and innovation is not my cup of tea. Seriously though, if a developer makes my favorite series too different I stop playing it... unless I consider it to be an actual improvement and just not different for the sake of being different. I prefer the slow evolution of tried and test gameplay ideas most of the time.
PhoenixMDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PhoenixMDK
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts

I'm a fan of EA, so soul and innovation is not my cup of tea. Seriously though, if a developer makes my favorite series too different I stop playing it... unless I consider it to be an actual improvement and just not different for the sake of being different. I prefer the slow evolution of tried and test gameplay ideas most of the time.Idonomeus

But if the changes are only incremental why not patch the old game or release an expansion rather than charging people for a whole new game. That's what particularly irritates me about sports franchises that charge full price for updating a database of names once a year (yes, I'm aware there are other changes too, but most tend to be negligable).

Idonomeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Idonomeus
Member since 2006 • 2273 Posts

[QUOTE="Idonomeus"]I'm a fan of EA, so soul and innovation is not my cup of tea. Seriously though, if a developer makes my favorite series too different I stop playing it... unless I consider it to be an actual improvement and just not different for the sake of being different. I prefer the slow evolution of tried and test gameplay ideas most of the time.PhoenixMDK

But if the changes are only incremental why not patch the old game or release an expansion rather than charging people for a whole new game. That's what particularly irritates me about sports franchises that charge full price for updating a database of names once a year (yes, I'm aware there are other changes too, but most tend to be negligable).

Giving a years worth of development time away for free doesn't sound like a good business practise to me but if a company could do that and stay profitable I would be all for it. Anyway I don't see the problem. If you really want the new game buy it and if you think the updates aren't worth the cost only buy them every 3 years or however long you think it is before the improvements become worth it.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#26 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="PhoenixMDK"]

[QUOTE="Idonomeus"]I'm a fan of EA, so soul and innovation is not my cup of tea. Seriously though, if a developer makes my favorite series too different I stop playing it... unless I consider it to be an actual improvement and just not different for the sake of being different. I prefer the slow evolution of tried and test gameplay ideas most of the time.Idonomeus

Giving a years worth of development time away for free doesn't sound like a good business practise to me but if a company could do that and stay profitable I would be all for it. Anyway I don't see the problem. If you really want the new game buy it and if you think the updates aren't worth the cost only buy them every 3 years or however long you think it is before the improvements become worth it.

He's got a point because if you really just wanted to make the trades yourself, the game lets you so you can have an up to date roster... it's just that people don't mind paying $60 for a game like Madden and the such because they get a ton of playtime out of it.

My brother is a huge fan and he'll spend multiple seasons... probably over 500 hours playing the game offline and online, single player or MP... when you think about it, that's more gameplay than  90% of games that come out today have.