Zeggelaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zeggelaar
Member since 2017 • 181 Posts

Is it just me or has the Epic Store lead to more free games lately across more clients?

I grabbed Endless Space, Super Meatboy, The Jackbox Party Pack, Axiom Verg (incoming), Subnutica, with supposedly more free games yet to come from Epic. I'm assuming this is an attempt to draw in more consumers to their platform from Steam if anything to just look at the very least. I can't remember the last time grabbing so many free games.

Across multiple forums and on Facebook I've seen many people complain about their games being spread across a few different clients, but in my books competition is always better from a consumer standpoint.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2131 Posts

At this point the free games is the only thing Epic has going for them (the priced games are as expensive as on Steam even though devs/publishers are getting a bigger cut), not to mention that Humble Bundle gave away more ant better free games over the years and they don't even have their own client.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58268 Posts

It's more of a bribe than a free game, imo. Like "Hey, we don't have shit, but if you install our client so we can boost our numbers, we'll give you a free game."

@rmpumper said:

At this point the free games is the only thing Epic has going for them (the priced games are as expensive as on Steam even though devs/publishers are getting a bigger cut), not to mention that Humble Bundle gave away more ant better free games over the years and they don't even have their own client.

Yeah, pretty much this.

If you're looking for a good deal, sign up for the Humble Bundle monthly package. A lot of great games you would A.) probably never try otherwise, and B.) get at a great price. Is it free? No. Is it still a better deal than free shit from Epic? Hell yes.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

i tried it and uninstalled. game selection appears tiny and the prices for what few they have are no different than steam. i couldn't even find a search games option which i can only assume is because there's next to nothing on there. doubt i'll go back

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

In the end, Epic is a publicly-traded company and will do whatever it takes to push that value higher.

Right now, that means giving away free shit I guess.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I nabbed their free games but have no incentive to ever buy or take them seriously. Steam as a UI has all the features I want and can be used completely independently without having to ever see the OS which is nice for me since my PC is dedicated for gaming only.