Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Epic employees have revealed they often work 100 hour weeks under a ‘toxic culture of fear’ in order to push regular updates for Fortnite.

Full story; https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/fortnite-latest-patch-update-weekly-challenge-season-release-date-epic-games-hours-a8884226.html%3famp

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

If that's true then they'd literally have no free time. That's more than 14 hours a day assuming they work 7 days a week!

Spread out over a 5 day week it'd be 20 hours a day!

You'd really have to love your job to work that much!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

Didn't Rockstar staff have the same issues reported last year?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I'd like to see some pay stubs for those 100 hour weeks.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

That’s horrible. The gaming industry is going to have to unionize, there’s really no other way.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

Tencent exporting those Chinese sweatshop practices to Epic :P

Welcome to the meatgrinder work culture of the modern USA: work for a famous company, do lame labor, think it looks good on your resume, and bail after two years if 100-hour weeks. If you're lucky, you still have passion for the field you chose. If not, you probably made a wise call and can go find something that is reasonable.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

@vfighter said:

I'd like to see some pay stubs for those 100 hour weeks.

When I got out of college I took a job with a startup. It paid fairly OK, but I worked about 90 hours a week. With overtime I was making close to six figures, which is pretty awesome for a young 20-something.

Not. Worth. It. It just is not.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I can see how that’s true. I made a small “fighting game”, and it beat all the motivation out of me. I can work with some help with people in the future, but “never again” is how I would describe the experience of working alone. Not fun.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2131 Posts

Gotta cash in on them Fortnite gamers while the game is still relevant, so no free time for Epic's slaves.

BitJetKit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BitJetKit
Member since 2019 • 26 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2: This is proof that whiny, sloppy, self-entitled cowards: do not need games supporting them; forever. I encountered them during Switch Fortnite gaming, and I never played that cesspool since.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Go online in forums and watch streamers and it's a continuous flow of bitching about lack of content in games. This reminds me of a few years back when it was in all the news about the crunch put on long haul truck drivers, what they did to keep themselves going, the accidents it caused. And we focused on the employers but never on the customers. I know I've been that guy standing in front of the meat counter, mad that I couldn't find the cut of meat or species of fish i was looking for, then I went somewhere else and bought it.

So with so much competition and so much money in the BR genre right now, Epic can be the responsible guy or it can be the guy making money, but that choice exists because of us. Fortnite players could stop buying skins, stop streaming the game over this, but they won't. In fact, if you take a glance at the Fortnite content creators on twitter and YouTube, this story is kind of a footnote to the "larger" story revolving around unhappiness over the recent Dev blog and how Epic isn't listening to their fans.