Entering the game industry

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Catsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 Catsi
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I have a question. I'm 23, about to graduate with a BA in International Relations and yet I realise that one of the things I've always wanted to do is be a games designer, yet I don't know the first thing about programming or 3D animation. Is it possible to learn this skills, to the extent required by the industry, at home? Or would some sort of course be necessary? And if it is necessary, then what courses would people recommend? (I live in Europe) Though I guess my main question is...am I young enough to try and enter this industry? I think people who are already making games started a lot younger than I am. Any help anyone could give me would be great!
Crysis_Pwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Crysis_Pwns
Member since 2007 • 806 Posts
It really depends how much free time you have to try and learn the skills at home. As far as age, you are not too young, but remember that most places want or prefer people with a BS or higher in Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science etc, to someone who is just self-taught and has no or little experience. Good luck!
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

read all articles in this website and you're good to go.

Cry0Tek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Cry0Tek
Member since 2007 • 863 Posts

http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

read all articles in this website and you're good to go.

lordlors

That is a great site, thanks for that. :) I too am looking into the gaming industry, but haven't quite pin-pointed where I'd like to go with it. I'm stuck between, producer, pr, speaker, and journalist.

Thanks again. :D