Elder Scrolls Oblivion Shivering Isles question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nir_jntn
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts

Hello everyone,

I'm about to start playing oblivion.. I wanted to ask if it changes anything if I install Shivering Isles right at the start (And by change I don't mean add) meaning I will lose some of the original game?

I want to know if it's best to first finish the original game and only then install shivering Isles or should I do it right at the start?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

not sure if alot changes outside the Isles, but you might aswell just install it. It will simply spawn a gateway that you can use when you feel like it. I would likely install it from the get go, then finish atleast 2 of the guild lines and the mainline before taking a trip into the madness.

But enjoy ^^ it is a good game, the isles likely better then the basegame, but everything is worth trying ^^

nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nir_jntn

@Maddie_Larkin: So it won't change anything in the main game? Because there are expansion which are set the entire game to start from a timeline point which is after the base story ends and there are some expansions which are more of a side story... so you're saying this expansion is one of those who are side stories?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Oblivion is made in such a way that every "questline" (story) is selfcontained, with a very few exceptions. But yeah, apart from some talk in Towns about this Island, and maybe some new random sidequests (can't remember) nothing will in any way alterthe questlines from the base game.

It will sit inactive untill you chose to go there, and if I remember there is a level cap on it, so you can not even begin it before a certain level.

Now there was Knights of the Nine, which felt more forced onto you, but if I remember you could also ignore that untill you wanted to.

So every single selfcontained story (or questliens) will never interfere with eachother, or close off other questlines. At most you will be directed to where each of the major lines are so you can commence them at your wish.

And because I did not read your reply proper: Yeah this very much feels like it is set after the Mainline.

nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nir_jntn

@Maddie_Larkin: Ok then I'll install the Shivering Isles and only after I finish it I'll install the Knights of the Nine.. Thank you for your reply

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I'd save Shivering Isles till after the main game is completed. Neither DLC affects the game accept that Knights of the Nine takes place in Cyrodil. So you might run into other things while you are doing the quests. You can place KotN whenever you want though.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

My personal advice is: do not install it until you are done with the main questline. Also, whatever you do, do not uninstall it until you are done with the game. If you do, all your Shivering Isles items will be replaced by giant blue hit boxes (imagine wearing a blue cardboard box as armor and swinging a blue carboard box instead of a sword).