EGM Ed-in-Chief says Fable 2 is Oblivion for people who don't like Oblivion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Actually, he quotes a fellow EGM editor and agrees:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8914557&publicUserId=4549175

In case you're wondering how I like Fable II, I am loving it. I think GianCarlo on EGM said it best when he mentioned to me that it's like "Oblivion for people who don't like Oblivion." I'd agree with that, and check back soon for the full review.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I absolutely despise Oblivion, so this is very good news for me. :D
noswear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 noswear
Member since 2008 • 3263 Posts
No, that's Morrowind.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts

Pre-Order Count +1.

I mean, I truly despised Oblivion. I shall now expect nothing less than an ecstatic example of brilliance in all facets of design, art, sound and visuals.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts
some things I didn't like about oblivion, but i didn't hate it... so it looks like fable 2 is gonna be okay than
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

No, that's Morrowind.noswear

You sir, have won the thread.

noswear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 noswear
Member since 2008 • 3263 Posts

[QUOTE="noswear"]No, that's Morrowind.aspro73

You sir, have won the thread.

Wooh, yeah! Can I be a mod now?

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

I'm pretty afraid that fable 2 will be less of a roleplaying game than oblivion, just like fable 1. The point is that in oblivion you need to focus on skills and only train them to get forward in the game and keep it doable. Because of this you have to specialize your character. In Fable, characters always become jack of all trades characters. You can't be purely a ranger. You barely can't be purely a melee warrior, and maybe if you're really good at it you can be pure mage. Because of this, you'll always be playing the game in the same way.

That's why I'm a bit sceptical to the statement. Fable 1 was nothing like an elder scrolls game, and I don't know if much is changing in fable 2.

Edgemaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Edgemaster666
Member since 2005 • 1686 Posts

QFT.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

In my opinion, Morrowind was just as bad as Oblivion from a core statistical basis in terms of being bad as an RPG levelling system...and if I don't like the levelling system, I just can't really enjoy the game. That's just me, though.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I'm pretty afraid that fable 2 will be less of a roleplaying game than oblivion, just like fable 1. The point is that in oblivion you need to focus on skills and only train them to get forward in the game and keep it doable. Because of this you have to specialize your character. In Fable, characters always become jack of all trades characters. You can't be purely a ranger. You barely can't be purely a melee warrior, and maybe if you're really good at it you can be pure mage. Because of this, you'll always be playing the game in the same way.

That's why I'm a bit sceptical to the statement. Fable 1 was nothing like an elder scrolls game, and I don't know if much is changing in fable 2.

11Marcel

I never found focusing on specific skills (outside of pure melee combat) all that useful in Oblivion, to be honest. And the magic path is so awkward that I always inserted some melee or ranged into the equation, which isn't a whole lot different than my playthrough of Fable, where I juggled different abilities depending on the situation.

I thought both treated magic in similar ways, where you couldn't cast higher level spells while wearing heavy armor, but I might be wrong. I didn't screw around too much with magic in Fable.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DJ_Lae

[QUOTE="noswear"]No, that's Morrowind.Skylock00

In my opinion, Morrowind was just as bad as Oblivion from a core statistical basis in terms of being bad as an RPG levelling system...and if I don't like the levelling system, I just can't really enjoy the game. That's just me, though.

You can bypass Morrowind's system by training to your hearts' content, which might be an indication that it's even more broken. Either way, it reduces the frustrating of jumping in one spot to bump your agility up for a next-level bonus or casting crappy spells repeatedly for a similar effect.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
[QUOTE="Skylock00"]

[QUOTE="noswear"]No, that's Morrowind.DJ_Lae

You can bypass Morrowind's system by training to your hearts' content, which might be an indication that it's even more broken. Either way, it reduces the frustrating of jumping in one spot to bump your agility up for a next-level bonus or casting crappy spells repeatedly for a similar effect.

But that's not the point...the point is that IMHO, both systems are fundamentally flawed in design to begin with from a statistical development standpoint. Whether it's spamming skills or trainers to get the bonuses you need, it really means that when you're trying to level, you aren't actually playing the game, but fighting against the levelling system.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

You sir, are absolutely correct.

That being said, I loved Morrowind, and I loved Oblivion. Does this mean that I'll hate Fable 2?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44333 Posts
I loved Oblivion but I'm sure I love Fable 2 as well. :P
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DJ_Lae

But that's not the point...the point is that IMHO, both systems are fundamentally flawed in design to begin with from a statistical development standpoint. Whether it's spamming skills or trainers to get the bonuses you need, it really means that when you're trying to level, you aren't actually playing the game, but fighting against the levelling system.Skylock00

I guess that's true. It is a pretty bizarre design choice for an RPG - I believe there are a bunch of mods for both games that tweak the leveling, but I've never tried them myself.

I think Oblivion just annoyed me more as I couldn't pay my way to maximum bonuses with each level.

I'm glad they stuck with the SPECIAL system for Fallout 3 - now if they could just implement than in the next Elder Scrolls game.

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
I played a lot of Morrowind and didn't care about the level system either way. Now in Oblivion I didn't really care for it at all. Thankfully the leveling in Fable II seems to be quite 'normal'.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#19 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"][QUOTE="Skylock00"]

But that's not the point...the point is that IMHO, both systems are fundamentally flawed in design to begin with from a statistical development standpoint. Whether it's spamming skills or trainers to get the bonuses you need, it really means that when you're trying to level, you aren't actually playing the game, but fighting against the levelling system.

I understand what you mean when you say that the leveling system is counterintuitive but you never have to "fight against it" I've beat both Morrowind (numerous times) and Oblivion (once because all playthroughs would be pretty much the same) and I've never had to worry about the character leveling system.

I understand you think it's a dumb idea from a design view but it works and doesn't add difficulty to the game.

sanpreet8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sanpreet8
Member since 2008 • 2111 Posts
me gunna love fable 2.
kriptonzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 kriptonzz
Member since 2004 • 3637 Posts
Well I loved oblivion to death, Fable II isn't for me?
Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

My guess would be that it is Oblivion for people that hated Oblivion because it was too complicated for them, rather than it being Oblivion for those who hated Oblivion because it wasn't complex enough for them (aka Morrowind fanatics).

I could be wrong of course, but everything I've seen on Fable 2 gave me that Wii philosophy vibe of simpler is better.