Earthbound: is it worth paying over $100 for?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

So I have recently been looking into possibly getting Earthbound for the SNES, however the biggest roadblock, as it is with most people, is the amazingly high price one must pay for this game; the cheapest I've seen this game for is $100. For those of you who have either played and/or own Earthbound, is it worth paying over $100 for? Is it truly one of those truly amazing video game experiences that can completely justify forking over the big bucks for? I can think of few game that I'd actually pay $100 or more to experience, and I guess I just want to know how you few retro gamers that have played it feel about Earthbound.

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

Hell no I wouldn't pay that damn much just for one stinkin old SNES game.

I can find a game like Earthbound cheaper than 100 bucks where I can find it at 3.99 at the pawn shop and all of my games I bought from the pawn shop and they work just fine

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shenmue_Jehuty

Hell no I wouldn't pay that damn much just for one stinkin old SNES game.

I can find a game like Earthbound cheaper than 100 bucks where I can find it at 3.99 at the pawn shop and all of my games I bought from the pawn shop and they work just fine

slamminjammin69

That is my hope as well, but Earthbound is one of those games you'll be very, very lucky to ever find at a Pawn Shop, Garage Sale, or Flea Market. If you find a copy at one of these places for less than $10 let me know so I can marvel at your extreme fortune :p

Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts
I've yet to see it in a pawn shop, garage sale or flea market in my area, but there's always hope. I do occasionally find gems though, most recently Secret of Mana for 99 cents. But finding something like Earthbound will be much tougher than even that. I wish Earthbound would end up on Wii Virtual Console.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#5 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I would never pay that much for it. But that's probably because I don't really like it to start with.
DyranLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 DyranLK
Member since 2011 • 104 Posts

Absolutely not, lol. Or at least, for me, anyway.

Earthbound was definitely a unique, beautifully sculpted experience for its time, and was well worth its price, but at a generation like this, the value of even a game like that certainly shouldn't be anything over a hundred bucks, imo. :P I mean, I've literally played it for free at another website just for the hell of it and it ran pretty well, from what I could tell.

Unless you enjoy collecting video games for their rarity and/or overall cultural value, I'd say that actually paying $100 for the sole intention of playing through the game for the first time is a little bit much, lol.

Still a pretty incredible game, though, and I'd really recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good 'ol old-fashioned RPG any day. ;)

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#7 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I've yet to see it in a pawn shop, garage sale or flea market in my area, but there's always hope. I do occasionally find gems though, most recently Secret of Mana for 99 cents. But finding something like Earthbound will be much tougher that even that. I wish Earthbound would end up on Wii Virtual Console.Orlando_Magic

I'll never be able to understand why this game isn't on the VC already...The fact that it will probably never be is sad. I've never seen Earthbound lying around in a 'bargain bin' area before, but one could always get lucky. Is it worth $100? It probably is, but I wouldn't pay that much. I paid 30 for mine, but I still have the copy I bought during the days of the SNES being king of the video game world; I have the player's guide still as well that came with the game when you bought it off the shelf.

Secret of Mana is a good find for a dollar!

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Some guy has a retro game shop near my house, and he has a beat up looking Earthbound game for $300 bucks. It's really odd, because everything else in the store is very comptetitively priced, even compared to online prices, but this Earthbound he has sticks out like a sore thumb. I wonder if he really thinks he is going to sell it for that much. Whoever buys it is crazy.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I've been buying a lot of vintage games lately. Some of them are expensive. I say it's worth what ever your willing to pay. If you can afford it go for it. Some games make a nice addition for collectors. I just bought Crono Trigger for SNES and paid $50. I bought Mega ManX collection too and paid $40.

NinjaLegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NinjaLegacy
Member since 2012 • 189 Posts
Im about 10 hours in and it's cute with a good story but the fighting is really bad. It's not worth the money that it goes for there are much better RPGS for a lot less money. Lufia series, breath of fires, chrono trigger, mario rpg, etc... Not worth the money IMO.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I highly doubt it really but at least if you buy it and don't think it was worth it it should be easy enough to sell it and get most or all your investment back.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If you really want a game then yes it is worth it. Earthbound is worth it or it wouldn't command a high price to begin with. I've spent $100.00 on worse things

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
nah i wouldn't pay a hundred for it, its an awesome game but its not that awesome. i consider myself lucky, a friend of mine had it and lemme borrow it for a few months.
Avatar image for JannettyTRocker
JannettyTRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JannettyTRocker
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts

I have watched videos on Earthbound for years, and have been dying to get myself a copy of this game. I wanted the physical SNES cart in my collection, but don't really care about the box/guide/etc. I just recently bought it on eBay for $125 w/free shipping, can't wait for it to arrive. I've never played it before, but from everything I've heard & watched, it looks awesome. I don't mind paying for a game if it really interests me. This isn't even the most that I've payed for a game. Yup, I'm a sucker for these things. ;)

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shenmue_Jehuty

I have watched videos on Earthbound for years, and have been dying to get myself a copy of this game. I wanted the physical SNES cart in my collection, but don't really care about the box/guide/etc. I just recently bought it on eBay for $125 w/free shipping, can't wait for it to arrive. I've never played it before, but from everything I've heard & watched, it looks awesome. I don't mind paying for a game if it really interests me. This isn't even the most that I've payed for a game. Yup, I'm a sucker for these things. ;)

JannettyTRocker

I hear you man, I'm still not decided on whether I'm ready to drop the big bucks on Earthbound yet, but I have dropped some serious cash on retro games before; I paid just a hair over $100 for a copy of Radiant Silvergun about a year ago. What's funny is that isn't too bad of a price considering what it typically goes for :p

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
I'd say wait until it comes on the Virtual Console (for Wii). Yes, I'm still holding out hope. But dude, unless you're a millionaire, $100 for a game that you have no idea how much you'll enjoy is simply not worth it.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

nope. IMO NO game is worth $100+ I dont even buy brand new games with "collectors edition" stuff for that much. If it comes with a sweet controller (Like a flight stick or steering wheel) then maybe near $100, but not for JUST a game. But thats just ME. If you really want the game, and the going price is $100+, then that's what you'll have to pay unless you get lucky. pawn shops, amazon.com, ebay, shopgoodwill.com, yardsales etc etc are good ways to find games for a good or great deal.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

I paid 80 dollars for my copy of Earthbound.

I would've paid 100.

It was worth damn near every penny. I sorta feel like I ripped the store clerk off by not telling him he coulda made more money. (Not really but you get what I'm saying :P)

Earthbound isn't just a game, it's an experience. Almost infinitely replayable IMO. So much charm, humor. A truly one of a kind game. And besides, if you buy it for 100 dollars now, it'll be worth equal or more down the road right?

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

I've yet to see it in a pawn shop, garage sale or flea market in my area, but there's always hope. I do occasionally find gems though, most recently Secret of Mana for 99 cents. But finding something like Earthbound will be much tougher than even that. I wish Earthbound would end up on Wii Virtual Console.Orlando_Magic

It's a bit surprising that it isn't considering that Nintendo owns it.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#20 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

[QUOTE="Orlando_Magic"]I've yet to see it in a pawn shop, garage sale or flea market in my area, but there's always hope. I do occasionally find gems though, most recently Secret of Mana for 99 cents. But finding something like Earthbound will be much tougher than even that. I wish Earthbound would end up on Wii Virtual Console.Bubble_Man

It is surprising, but for some reason it hasn't happened. I've heard a lot of theories as to why, but I don't know if any of them are true.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#21 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I loved Earthbound, but $100 is a bit steep unless its in the box with the guide and the yummy scratch and sniff stickers intact.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
I'd really love to play Earthbound but that yeah.... that price tags just means I'll to wait till I get really lucky at my local flea market or Nintendo has it re-released as a digital download.
sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

[QUOTE="Orlando_Magic"]I've yet to see it in a pawn shop, garage sale or flea market in my area, but there's always hope. I do occasionally find gems though, most recently Secret of Mana for 99 cents. But finding something like Earthbound will be much tougher than even that. I wish Earthbound would end up on Wii Virtual Console.Bubble_Man

didn't know that. It really should be on VC then.

Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

nope. IMO NO game is worth $100+ I dont even buy brand new games with "collectors edition" stuff for that much. If it comes with a sweet controller (Like a flight stick or steering wheel) then maybe near $100, but not for JUST a game. But thats just ME. If you really want the game, and the going price is $100+, then that's what you'll have to pay unless you get lucky. pawn shops, amazon.com, ebay, shopgoodwill.com, yardsales etc etc are good ways to find games for a good or great deal.

Talldude80

This anything over $20 for a old game and it better be an amazing experience and the highest price I would pay for an old game would be $60 as it is the same as current gen.

I can not see any old game being worth $60 though.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#25 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

[QUOTE="Talldude80"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

This anything over $20 for a old game and it better be an amazing experience and the highest price I would pay for an old game would be $60 as it is the same as current gen.

I can not see any old game being worth $60 though.

For once I agree with you. I'd RARELY go near 60 euros for an old game.
Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

Unless you're a collector, I don't see the point of paying so much for an old game that's a technical relic for the sake of playing it. Unless it's legally available digitally just emulate it.

VintageVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VintageVader
Member since 2012 • 75 Posts
Thats way too much to pay for it, if I was you I would go look around local pawn shops for a much cheaper copy of the game.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shenmue_Jehuty

Thats way too much to pay for it, if I was you I would go look around local pawn shops for a much cheaper copy of the game.VintageVader

I have, but it is a very hard one to come by; I've only seen it once or twice at used game stores, and never at any flea market, thrift store or garage sale (if I had, I would own it right now). However, since posting this thread I quickly realized that I will not be paying $100 for it, hell I'm not going to even pay $60 for it. Like many of the rarer games in my collection, I am going to wait and find it at a garage sale for $5 or a thrift store for $3. If I can find Valkyrie Profile for $2 at a garage sale, Earthbound is "bound" to pop up one of these days for next to nothing :p

videog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 videog
Member since 2011 • 327 Posts

No.....just NO