Drugs and Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lacuna69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lacuna69
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts

How many games have you played where you have the opportunity for to get drunk or take some other *illicit drug*, whether in a fantasy or real-world setting?

Yet, every time, the visuals go all wonky and maybe also you temporarily lose vital stats.

Let me ask you- how realistic is that?!  NOT very.

Unless you are doing shrooms or LSD, no visual anomalies are likely to occur, unless you have the booze "spins" from a noob way overdoing it.

In my opinion, a better way to approach drug use in games is to offer the potential user that chooses to go for it some additional options like side quests, borne out of compromised reasoning, such as "yeah, I just realized that dude is an ***h*le- he deserves to die!" or the weed paranoia approach such as "you don't think he's part of some greater conspiracy to XXX, do you?  Let's **** him up!", and then let that side quest unfold if it is pursued with potentially greatly negative consequences, such that, should the player actually survive it, he/she is left wondering if it was all worth it from the get-go.

In other words, if pshychedelics are not involved, the consequences of using should NOT involve such cheezy A/V side-effects, but more realistic ones, that is of course the dev's involved aren't straightedge greenhorns that actually don't know what proposed drug use would actually imply- you would be surprised...or is it I that would be surprised by being the isolated one on the *other* side of the fence?

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
Given that the discussion of useage of illegal substances and such is against the ToU...this thread is just a tad too risky to leave open.