Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen vs The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by TiggyTog (274 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen vs The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (52 votes)

Dragon's Dogma 46%
Skyrim 54%

It's time to put the debate to rest, with Skyrim getting released for PS4 and Xbox One, and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen just recently being announced for PS4 and Xbox One, which is the better game today?

We're talking PC for the most part, but if you've only played on consoles thats fine too.

Mods aren't allowed into the equasion, but all DLC for both games are allowed.

Now that we got that out of the way, discuss!

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (27151 posts) -

Dragon Dogmas creatures were better than Skyrims repetitive copy pasted dragons. They manage to turn a giant mythical creature shouldered in legend into taking a trip to Mcdonalds for a happy meal, all magic sapped out.

Dragons Dogmas encounters are repeated a few times, but there is a sense of anticipation and excitement sorely lacking from Skyrim, and encounter is an encounter and it generally says that way.

Unfortunately alot of Dragons Dogma is broken. Because beasts generally stick to a single patch of course, it can easily be exploited. While pc games all the way back to Baldurs Gate give you complete control over party members, pawns have almost no commands and usually are pretty useless. This leads to many stupid annoyances compounded by a terrible save system.

A game like DarkSouls uses bonfires spaced out in tight linear environments, while Dragons Dogma can have you running and stopping constantly with stamina drain for 15 minutes only to be instantly killed and thrown right back to the start again. Removing stamina for running, or adding mounts would have helped. Later on you can fast travel, but it's generally still not enough.

In general, Skyrim is a better game imo. It has it's own problems, but on a whole it's better designed.

#2 Edited by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: I'd also argue Dragon's Dogma has better designed weapons and armor, along with better customization and arguably better music.

#3 Edited by uninspiredcup (27151 posts) -

@tiggytog said:

@uninspiredcup: I'd also argue Dragon's Dogma has better designed weapons and armor, along with better customization and arguably better music.

Not sure I'd agree, people complain about the lack of variation in Skyrim, but it's armor feels cohesive. Mods can improve and expand them but somethings they tend to loose that cohesiveness and feel all over the shit.

Skyrims theme as well is arguably one of the things that sold the game to the masses. Many tracks attempt to be epic, but Skyrims utterly succeeds.

#4 Posted by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Yeah, but I'm talking as far as the both game's soundtracks go.

Into Free is no Skyrim theme, but it's become iconic.

I guess it depends on what types of weapons you're into. If you're into swords, I'd go with Dragon's Dogma a billion times over, and capes add a new layer of customization that was DEEPLY needed in Skyrim, like, I specifically did the thieves guild quests JUST for the Nightingale Armor, because it had a cape, maybe thats just me though.

But if you're into maces, hammers, etc, I'd probably go with Skyrim.

#5 Posted by Archangel3371 (25052 posts) -

Both are excellent games but I think that I preferred Dragon's Dogma slightly more. It was a lot of fun fighting the big beasts in it and I totally loved that intro song in it. Sadly they changed the intro song in Dark Arisen and it just wasn't as good as the original.

#7 Edited by RSM-HQ (6911 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma has a superior character creator, better overall gameplay mechanics and that's when the great stuff ends early-game (in the vanilla game). Outside of the amazingly designed BitterBlack Isle it has some of the worst quests I've seen designed in an RPG, pointless lighting system, and Character classes are oddly balanced where the Assassin always comes out on-top despite Warrior being my favorite to play as. Then we have the Pawn system which continues the repetitive aspects of the game that could be better than it is, which will become more clear when you consider how enemy respawn work in Dogma. .

Skyrim has a big map filled with some very interesting quests and narrative. But its gameplay mechanics has a lot to be desired and level design is a joke, but for what the world offers Bethesda kinda has that in a class of their own. For better or worse.

I had more fun with Dragon's Dogma easily, but the best part of the game is post-Grigori and BBI.

But I see many getting too frustrated with Dogma to see its later charm, so overall Skyrim.

#8 Posted by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

@nibbin1191 said:

"It's time to put the debate to rest".

Since when was this a debate?

Didn't vote seeing as they are COMPLETELY different games.

DD actually has more in common with Dark Souls, and even that's a stretch.

...They're in the same exact genre. Western Action-RPG.

#10 Edited by RSM-HQ (6911 posts) -

@nibbin1191: An Action RPG and an Action RPG, both of which have open world design. If you can't compare games considered to be in the exact same genre. . . what can you, nothing?

I'm fond of the debate because it brings conversation to Dragon's Dogma, a game I don't think gets enough notice.

#12 Posted by Ish_basic (4845 posts) -

mods are by far Skyrim's strongest feature, and that's something that Bethesda has always worked to facilitate by making tools available for free but also by designing a game that allows people to add quests and items at will. Go ahead and try to mod a Dragon's Age game. So while Bethesda may not deserve direct credit for the individual mods, the robust mod community is without a doubt a function of Bethesda's design philosophy.

And you know what would make Dragon's Dogma really good? A mod that incorporates level scaling so after you've geared up your character, the game can still provide some kind of challenge.

To disallow them in the comparison, well... this poll is rigged /Trump

#13 Edited by RSM-HQ (6911 posts) -

@nibbin1191: I'd say it has more in common with Skyrim than Dark Souls, unless we talk about Bitterblack Isle and post-Grigori, then it's debatable. Which in itself feels like a whole other game.

Sure Dogma and Souls have better combat systems but couldn't be any different. The world is more vast and quest structure is very much the same as Skyrim in Gran Soren but somehow lacking any of the creativity, involving town hub, camps and making allies to a sense.

Dark Souls is like Monster Hunter, it's progression is linear, NPCs are more a means to an end, but has well crafted level design and monster battles are the sole highlight, and a true sense of accomplishment when overcome.

Not stating Dogma doesn't have great combat or its challenges (BBI), and at times fantastic level design, yet the overall structure of the base game is closer to something like Skyrim (sandbox). Right down to the fodder bandits_

It's not till you've doomed the world that the game focuses on well designed maps and pure combat over fetch-quests.

And as stated in my original post many won't stick with Dragon's Dogma to see the beauty it has after you slay Grigori. Because getting those first credits to many, is the ending.

BBI builds on the dark (true) ending with even better level design, a better and darker story, and better enemy encounters. However most won't see this side of the game and based on reviews critics didn't either.

Regardless of all that, it's closer to Skyrim for what the bulk of the base game offers.

#14 Posted by DerpaDerp (59 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Dragon Dogmas creatures were better than Skyrims repetitive copy pasted dragons. They manage to turn a giant mythical creature shouldered in legend into taking a trip to Mcdonalds for a happy meal, all magic sapped out.

Dragons Dogmas encounters are repeated a few times, but there is a sense of anticipation and excitement sorely lacking from Skyrim, and encounter is an encounter and it generally says that way.

Unfortunately alot of Dragons Dogma is broken. Because beasts generally stick to a single patch of course, it can easily be exploited. While pc games all the way back to Baldurs Gate give you complete control over party members, pawns have almost no commands and usually are pretty useless. This leads to many stupid annoyances compounded by a terrible save system.

A game like DarkSouls uses bonfires spaced out in tight linear environments, while Dragons Dogma can have you running and stopping constantly with stamina drain for 15 minutes only to be instantly killed and thrown right back to the start again. Removing stamina for running, or adding mounts would have helped. Later on you can fast travel, but it's generally still not enough.

In general, Skyrim is a better game imo. It has it's own problems, but on a whole it's better designed.

agreed :D Don't forget you can grab hold on enemies. and gouge eyes of cyclops :D

#15 Posted by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

I actually think the only downside of pawns were that they talked too much.

But they are a huge positive in my opinion, like going through a cave with 3 others that have powerful magic and epic fighting skills makes it feel not as empty, and it will never feel truly depressing, you always feel like you have tons of help, which is good, for me anyway. If I wanna feel like I'm in a dark depressing environment all the time, I'll play Dark Souls, but if I wanna be uplifted by awesome comrades, I'll play Dragon's Dogma.

On top of that, Pawns aren't NEARLY as stupid as Followers, who just jump to attack anything that moves and walk over traps.

Example: I was trying to sneak up on a group of sleeping Saurians, and even though my pawns were alerted by their presence, they waited for me to decide what to do, whether I wanted to fight them or not they didn't just attack right away.

Another thing is, they learn from everything you do, you and others shape their personality, their fighting skills, everything.

Everything they say and do is down to you and you alone. (And occasionally people who use your pawn.)

They'll also mine rocks and pick stuff up that could be useful to you, or to your pawn if you wanna upgrade their stuff, they'll find hidden treasure, and occasionally even give you advice about a quest.

They outclass Followers in every way except conversation.

#16 Edited by DrRollinstein (1116 posts) -

They both have significant advantages over the other. DD has better combat, Skyrim has more to do and deeper lore/NPCs. I'm honestly not sure which would be considered better, as both are in my top games of all time.

Also those ferry stones before Dark Arisen. Come on Capcom.

#17 Posted by DerpaDerp (59 posts) -

@tiggytog said:

I actually think the only downside of pawns were that they talked too much.

But they are a huge positive in my opinion, like going through a cave with 3 others that have powerful magic and epic fighting skills makes it feel not as empty, and it will never feel truly depressing, you always feel like you have tons of help, which is good, for me anyway. If I wanna feel like I'm in a dark depressing environment all the time, I'll play Dark Souls, but if I wanna be uplifted by awesome comrades, I'll play Dragon's Dogma.

On top of that, Pawns aren't NEARLY as stupid as Followers, who just jump to attack anything that moves and walk over traps.

Example: I was trying to sneak up on a group of sleeping Saurians, and even though my pawns were alerted by their presence, they waited for me to decide what to do, whether I wanted to fight them or not they didn't just attack right away.

Another thing is, they learn from everything you do, you and others shape their personality, their fighting skills, everything.

Everything they say and do is down to you and you alone. (And occasionally people who use your pawn.)

They'll also mine rocks and pick stuff up that could be useful to you, or to your pawn if you wanna upgrade their stuff, they'll find hidden treasure, and occasionally even give you advice about a quest.

They outclass Followers in every way except conversation.

Pawns also have different inclinations you can use in battle. Favorite one is Scather cuz I tend to aim stronger ones than the weak ones.

#18 Edited by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

@derpaderp: inclinations? o.o Also, this one may seem out of place, but I love how they marvel at the world, they have a different philosophy then humans, and it's cool, and while its not as good conversation as Followers, I do think the pawns are interesting when they talk outside of combat.

#19 Posted by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

Looks like DD's winning by quite a bit, haha.

#20 Posted by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

mods are by far Skyrim's strongest feature, and that's something that Bethesda has always worked to facilitate by making tools available for free but also by designing a game that allows people to add quests and items at will. Go ahead and try to mod a Dragon's Age game. So while Bethesda may not deserve direct credit for the individual mods, the robust mod community is without a doubt a function of Bethesda's design philosophy.

And you know what would make Dragon's Dogma really good? A mod that incorporates level scaling so after you've geared up your character, the game can still provide some kind of challenge.

To disallow them in the comparison, well... this poll is rigged /Trump

The game wasn't released with mods though, and there are too many mods out there to make this contest fair, with mods, Skyrim has endless content because people can keep downloading mods over and over and over and over, while Dogma hardly has any mods out right now that aren't graphical improvements. Besides, mods do stuff like completely change gameplay mechanics, add new ones and such, up the amount of followers, etc.

It will make every person's experience random, and thats not what the game is, the game is what BETHESDA created, not the modders.

#21 Posted by DrRollinstein (1116 posts) -

I think the real question is, what will the remaster of DD include eh. Does Dark Arisen get Trophies/Achievements now? Is the eternal ferry stone in the base game? Does this mean we will finally get a second game?

And where the **** is Elder Scrolls VI.

#22 Posted by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

@drrollinstein: The only game getting released will be Dark Arisen, it's a full remaster, so not just upscaled to higher HD.

Furthermore, the eternal ferrystone will be available, as it was in the PC version, and there is talks of bringing the Berserk sets back, I imagine Dark Arisen will get trophies now.

#23 Posted by DerpaDerp (59 posts) -

@tiggytog said:

@derpaderp: inclinations? o.o Also, this one may seem out of place, but I love how they marvel at the world, they have a different philosophy then humans, and it's cool, and while its not as good conversation as Followers, I do think the pawns are interesting when they talk outside of combat.

It's how Pawns differentiate from each other in terms of behavior. There are tons of Pawn Inclinations and hired pawns cannot change their inclinations. Your main pawn however, can be changed if you have RCs or you coach them in the table :D Also, what's interesting about classes or vocations is that they have several secondary vocations and perks too. *SPOILER: Guts and Griffith armor from Berserk: Golden Age is available in the shop located in the whachamacalled mine.*

#24 Posted by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

@derpaderp: Yeah, always loved those sets, all they need to do is port those over to the PS4 version, and it will be the definitive version of the game.

Yeah I just got back into the game and I had forgotten what inclinations meant, in my original playthrough I only used the Knowledge Chair once, but I find myself using it more often now.

#25 Posted by DerpaDerp (59 posts) -

@tiggytog said:

@derpaderp: Yeah, always loved those sets, all they need to do is port those over to the PS4 version, and it will be the definitive version of the game.

Yeah I just got back into the game and I had forgotten what inclinations meant, in my original playthrough I only used the Knowledge Chair once, but I find myself using it more often now.

GIFF me links of your playthroughs. I wanna watch them :D planning to restart it all over again :D

#26 Posted by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

@derpaderp: I didn't upload them to youtube tho...

#27 Posted by SuperPowerBear (1 posts) -

When it comes to question like this, it's usually subjective because people have different tastes. One man's meat is another man's poison. It helps to know what kind of games one likes befor seeing his opinion.

Here's my level of experience of Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma.

I love RPG. For Bethesda games, I have played Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas. I love modding and have created many mods for personal use in all Bethesda games. I never played a Betheda games without using mods.

Skyrim like all the other Betheda games have a great game world where most objects can be interacted and tied to a script. So its environment feels so much alive. With its creation kit, anyone can create new things, modifying existing things (objects, weapons, NPCs, stories/quests, texture, ect). You can pretty much create a brand new game with its engine. See Enderal, the much better game created using Skyrim engine and is more superior than Skyrim itself.

As about Dragon's Dogma, I never played Capcom RPG so there's not much past experience I can draw from.

I began to play Dragon's Dogma recently after playing Skyrim since 2012 with uncountable playthrough. After reading many reviews stating how bad the quests Dragon's Dogma has, I've set my expectation. So which game I like better? Dragon's Dogma.

Dragon's Dogma's game play really blows me away. There are 9 different character classes and each character has its own skills. Attack and magic skills have their own animation and game play mechanism. Comparing to Skyrim's single left-mouse-button clicking attack mechanism/animation, it's day and night difference. Each fighting is so entertaining and satisfying, it really puts all the Elder's Scroll game play to shame. Talking about the variety of monsters? Check out the harpy in Dragon's Dogma, a flying monster which hovers in the air most of the time and can cast spell, diving attack, grab victims from the ground, it's a complete different gaming experience. That makes the Elder's scroll encounter pretty much one dimensional even with the dragon added in Skyrim.

As about questing and story, granted Dragon's Dogma doesn't have the Elder's Scroll's creation kit that can create complicated dialog tree for quests but I feel its quests are well executed. I didn't feel the story too underwhelming when doing Dragon's Dogma's quests. And its atmosphere, game special effects, cut scenes all help to make it good and sometimes feels much better than that of Skyrim. I think the creation kit has great power and provides the capability of creating complicated, muti-branching quests but not most of Skyrim's quests take full of advantage of it. Enderal's quests and game design is much better than Skyrim.

Game stability. Playing Dragon's Dogma for a few weeks and it never crashed once. While it never fails to crash several times in each play session with Skyrim. The feeling is like driving a jalopy versus driving a modern car. One you feel like the car will break down any minute. No, you know it WILL because it's guaranteed. While playing Dragon's Dogma, you take it for granted that it's a high quality software and will not crash.

The freedom of modding definitely helps Elder's Scroll game tremendously no doubt. There is not a single game engine out there that provides such flexibility. But unfortunately the game play mechanism is built in the game engine and modding cannot help.

After playing Dragon's Dogma, I don't think I can ever go back to play Elder's Scroll game anymore even I would truly miss creating mods to enrich my experience with the games. The game play of Dragon's Dogma is so much fun, so entertaining, each encounter with enemies is so satisfying even if I lose the battle. To me, I enjoy Dragon's Dogma so much more than Elder's Scroll games, there is really no comparison.

#28 Posted by doomdizzle (528 posts) -

Not even a contest. Reviews be damned Dragons Dogma is far better than Skyrim but lacks the casual appeal.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#29 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9121 posts) -

They both don't offer much of anything on story or characters. Dragon's Dogma actually has fun combat though. So Dragon's Dogma.

#30 Posted by henrythefifth (1552 posts) -

Original Skyrim is better than DD.

Sadly, they spoiled Skyrim remaster with the dawnguard DLC. This DLC spawns vampires everywhere you go, from the word go.

This means that Skyrim remaster no longer feels like game about dragon uprising. It feels like game about vampires. Indeed, many noobs got turned into vampires in the first hours of Skyrim HD because they did not know you could get cured at a shrine before the vampirism took over...

Man, I'm so pissed at Bethesda about this. They should've known better.

So, anyways, Skyrim HD sucks. Lets hope DD does not have game breaking DLCs you cannot turn off...

#31 Edited by Rondo7 (2 posts) -

Indeed a strong competition, and one I have had trouble siding with for quite some time.
So I thought a list would help identify each of the titles with their own merits.

Skyrim Pros:

- Immersion / atmospheric audio
- Character customization (mods) / character development (roleplaying)
- Great exploration, with large world to explore
- Stimulates the imagination
- Impressive music score

DD's Pros:

- Combat is excellent and fun
- Dungeons and encounters are exciting
- Character building has better progress
- The game balance is noteworthy
- Animations are superb (bringing character realization)
- Fantastic dragon / monster fights
- Little immersion breaking from inventory management / unnecessary gamey additions
- Looks amazing without mods, and don't tax your hardware nearly as much
- It doesn't crash (that's really important imo)

Make no mistake, Skyrim has the ability to cast a sense of magic and suspense. But all-in-all, I have to agree that Dragon's Dogma delivers a better package.
One with the more 'fun-per-minute' spent. And a better 'game'. (A virtual experience is a different matter)

Some quick fun games I have come across to help resist the temptations of the snowy-capped peaks: 'Caveblazers', 'Vagante' &,'Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight'.
And hey, lets not forget some of the very first games which inspired what we have today. Namely the Legend of Zelda and Castlevania classics.
The Ultima series, and the godfather of all fantasy RPG's, Zork.

But really, what better contender for Skyrim than books themselves. The many Conan books, the Lankhmar series, and of course Tolkien.
All classics which inspired everything from films to games, and surely the best way to unleash the imagination.

And I totally agree with SuperPowerBear ;)

#32 Posted by Subaru1980 (137 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma without a doubt! No spoilers, but DG teaches Skyrim when it comes to epic Boss battles and fights against DRAGONS!

#33 Posted by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

Last thing I'd like to say, Dragon's Dogma has a better, and more original main story.

But in Dogma, the payoff in the story is more the destination, then the Journey.

What I mean by that is, Dogma's story for the most part is pretty average for the majority of the game, but the combat does indeed make it worth it.

I dunno, I think I have a soft spot for cult investigations in games, because all those were pretty cool, in my opinion.

But usually the normal main story quests in the game revolve around "Hey, the duke needs ya, do this, cool. Okay now he needs you for something else."

Now some sidequests are pretty interesting, but those can't really compare to Skyrim's sidequests at all.

Skyrim excels at sidequests whereas Dragon's Dogma excels when it comes to the main story and ending, and Bitterblack Isle, Daimon, that was a great story.

Also, Skyrim has some good music...

However, most of Dogma's music is beyond superb.

I mean, seriously, just listen to this:

Loading Video...

Even Skyrim's main theme isn't as good as that, I'm sorry, I love Skyrim, but Dogma's music absolutely destroys it.

The buttrock in the beginning was pretty cool too. Not the biggest fan of Eternal Return, but eh...

Loading Video...

Even some of the unused tracks were above the paygrade of Skyrim's music.

Anyway, just some gripes with how people perceive Skyrim's story vs Dragon's Dogma's, as well as the music, but everyone knows that game has good music regardless, just wanted to bring that up.

#34 Posted by CTR360 (8569 posts) -

Skyrim by far

#35 Edited by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

@superpowerbear: Jedi Academy has a WAY more flexible engine, it can offer you way more if you take the time to get into it. This is in response to the engine in Skyrim being the most flexible.

In Jedi Academy we have so far made Superman and Flash possible, with all their signature attacks, multiple new maps, recreated into an online MMORPG.

It's crazy.

But besides that, Skyrim is the most flexible, yeah.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#36 Posted by storm_of_swords (2320 posts) -

How have I never heard of this Dragon's Dogma game before? It somehow completely went under my radar all of these years, but I'm checking it out now and it looks amazing! Is there any news on a sequel for it?

#37 Posted by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

@storm_of_swords: Nope :/

But it does have an MMO in Japan, with the exact mechanics of the console version.

Back in the day (2012), it competed directly with games like Skyrim, Dark Souls, Kingdoms of Amalur, etc.

#38 Edited by Mecha_Frieza (1234 posts) -

Obviously, if we are talking about modded games, then Skyrim takes it every time because it is the most modded game in the history of gaming, but since we aren't talking about modded versions, I still think Skyrim takes this.

The only thing that I can think of that Dragon's Dogma does better, is that the combat is definitely better than Skyrim's, but Skyrim literally does everything else better. Skyrim has a much better open world system, but Dragon's Dogma has a dull open world that is just lacking with things to do. The quests are better in Skyrim and even though the main story isn't spectacular, it is still better than Dragon's Dogma. People can talk trash about Skyrim all the want, but it is still considered one of the top RPGs of all time. If someone called Dragon's Dogma one of the top RPGs of all time they would be laughed at.

#39 Posted by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

@mecha_frieza: No, the main story in Skyrim isn't better, it just isn't.

It's boring, and the ending was awful.

Skyrim's story consists of killing Dragons, and the ending isn't anything special.

You don't even kill the final boss, you "stop him". It's stupid and not worthy of what you went through.

Dogma, however, throws a curveball that you have to play the game to see.

In my opinion, there is no better game to roleplay in, going out and killing Dragonkin with that awesome combat system, this game is the best game to fight Dragons in, hands down.

Actually, Dogma is one of the best RPG's of all time, BBI's story was fantastic, it has great music, amazing combat, a great twist ending, Grigori being one of the best boss fights ever.

People have actually said that Dogma has some of the best combat of any game ever, and I'm inclined to agree, even if you disagree, Skyrim clearly doesn't compare, in any way.

Also, most of Dogma's boss fights are just on a grander scale then Skyrim's in general.

#40 Edited by Mecha_Frieza (1234 posts) -

@tiggytog: I'm really glad you like the game, but no one has ever considered Dragon's Dogma to be the greatest RPG of all time- at the bare minimum, its a very good, perhaps even great RPG with a lot of things that weren't executed that well. It is overly generic (makes me think of Two Worlds), has some of the worst open world concepts I have ever seen and literally everything about the game is mediocre except for the story (which is pretty good) and the combat.

Also, no one has ever said that Dragon's Dogma has the best combat out of any game ever, this is just silly. ARGPs like Nioh and Dark Souls have a much better combat system.

Basically there are three modern franchises where all other RPGs are judged: the Witcher series which didn't get amazing until its third entry, the Elder Scrolls series, which is one of the longest running RPG franchises ever, and the Souls series, which are often considered the greatest action RGPs of all time. I have never heard anyone say that Dragon's Dogma is better than any of these games because quite frankly it isn't. The game does very few things well and most things are very mediocre at best.

#41 Edited by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2967 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: 100% agreed. Dragon's Dogma feels like a rush job and its a weird mashup of Dark Souls gameplay with Monster Hunter concepts. When you start to get deep into the game, it starts becoming a bit repetitive. The combat is good, but I feel like everything else in the game is dated beyond belief. The menus are clunky and even though the story is decent, the entire world just seems like a generic copy and paste fantasy RPG. Supposedly, the director of Dragon's Dogma said he modeled the game after Skyim, but I find that very hard to believe. I think that Capcom was trying to mimic the success of Demons' Souls and Dark Souls, but at the end of the day they just had a game that wasn't executed properly.

In Skyrim's world, there is actually a lot of things to do and the amount of side quests there are is staggering. The best part about the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, post Fallout 2 of course, is that you can just avoid the main quest for as long as you like and explore the world. This is why I have over 1000 hours in Skyrim and over 1000 hours in Oblivion. With Dragon's Dogma, I was getting bored when I started to hit the 100 hour mark.

Bottom line, Skyrim over all, is just a much better game than Dragon's Dogma. I know we are talking about base games, because if we talked about modding then this topic wouldn't even exist. All I know is that Dragon's Dogma wasn't a flop, but it only found a moderate amount of success. Since it's release in 2012, all we have gotten is a PS4 port and an expansion which could mean that the franchise is dead.

#42 Edited by TiggyTog (274 posts) -

@mecha_frieza: ProJared seems to think it has the best ARPG combat ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4cfpKco7bI

This is a guy who has deep experience with Monster Hunter and Dark Souls.

#43 Posted by pyro1245 (3768 posts) -

Vanilla: DD

Modded: Skyrim

#44 Posted by Mecha_Frieza (1234 posts) -

@tiggytog said:

@mecha_frieza: ProJared seems to think it has the best ARPG combat ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4cfpKco7bI

This is a guy who has deep experience with Monster Hunter and Dark Souls.

Have no idea who that is, but I have a deep experience with RPGs as well. I have played RPGs for over 25 years and I have beaten almost every Monster Hunter game and Souls game with the exception of the new Monster Hunter and Dark Souls 3.

When I think truly great ARPGs, I don't think Dragon's Dogma, I think games like the Diablo series and games like the Souls series. I am not saying that the combat in Dogma is bad because I think the combat is actually quite good, but I definitely don't think it is better than the ARPG heavy hitters out there. Also, I think as a whole, that Dragon's Dogma isn't the most polished game.

#45 Edited by RSM-HQ (6911 posts) -

@mecha_frieza: Diablo series combat sucks though, so why even bring that into the discussion with games like Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, and Monster Hunter that focus on the combat mechanics and level design? Which, the latter I can agree Dogma is the weakest at_

But on that note, which MH do you consider the best? I'm a long time fan of that series.

I have beaten almost every Monster Hunter game

4G is my favorite. World is having too many drawback to even consider it to be honest. Better luck in WorldG Capcom_

#46 Edited by Mecha_Frieza (1234 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:

@mecha_frieza: Diablo series combat sucks though, so why even bring that into the discussion with games like Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, and Monster Hunter that focus on the combat mechanics and level design? Which, the latter I can agree Dogma is the weakest at_

But on that note, which MH do you consider the best? I'm a long time fan of that series.

I have beaten almost every Monster Hunter game

4G is my favorite. World is having too many drawback to even consider it to be honest. Better luck in WorldG Capcom_

Yeah the combat might suck, but the Diablo series is still considered one of the best ARPG franchises of all time. The OP said that Dragon's Dogma was considered both the greatest ARGP and greastest RPG of all time and I think that is aboslute nonsense.

Anyways, my favorite was probably Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. It is the game that I spent the most time with, however, I also really enjoyed Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, but where I spent close to 1000 hours in MHFU, I only spent about 100 or so in MH4U. Basically, isn't MH4U and 4G the exact same game, one is just a Japanese release and one is a North America release?

#47 Edited by RSM-HQ (6911 posts) -

@mecha_frieza: Yes 4 Ultimate is 4G.

And while I think Freedom Unite was the best game in its time don't think it's worth comparing to 4G/ 4U with all the improvements. Better single player/ multiplayer, weapon balance, mounting, and vastly superior level design.

On the note of Diablo being one of the best RPGs is tough because Action RPGs can be a loose term and think comparing Diablos to any of the above is almost a completely different genre.

Dragon's Dogma for me was a very enjoyable game. However as my first post here (7 months ago, Heavens who's bumping this ancient thread?) It's a very, very flawed game. Love the combat but a lot of other elements have much to be desired. Not a Masterpiece in my view. Yet I'd take a sequel that builds on the originals strengths anyday. Not Dragon's Dogma Online, I have that and it's garbage.

The original Monster Hunter wasn't a masterpiece after all, neither was Diablo. So who's to know what a Dogma sequel wouldn't achieve?

#48 Posted by Mecha_Frieza (1234 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: I haven't spent enough time with Monster Hunter 4, but maybe I should go back and replay it in my preparation for World.

I 100% agree with you on everything about Dragon's Dogma by the way. I think it was a pretty good start and I would love a sequel that refined the game, but its been about 6 years with little to no news.

#49 Edited by RSM-HQ (6911 posts) -

@mecha_frieza: True but the director of both DMC4 and Dragon's Dogma has been working on a few big projects one of which is rumored to be DMC5 showing at e3 (Itsuno Hideaki san) and since the P.C./ current Gen ports. No reason to loose hope. Hideaki san has his own dedicated team and they're God-tier at making great combat focused games 'at the very least'. So whatever they offer I'm in.

Will I enjoy a new Dragon's Dogma over Monster Hunter? Unlikely, I adore MH. But I'd still play it :D

#50 Posted by Mecha_Frieza (1234 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:

@mecha_frieza: True but the director of both DMC4 and Dragon's Dogma has been working on a few big projects one of which is rumored to be DMC5 showing at e3 (Itsuno Hideaki san) and since the P.C./ current Gen ports. No reason to loose hope. Hideaki san has his own dedicated team and they're God-tier at making great combat focused games 'at the very least'. So whatever they offer I'm in.

Will I enjoy a new Dragon's Dogma over Monster Hunter? Unlikely, I adore MH. But I'd still play it :D

It's interesting because Capcom is porting the DMC 1-3 remasters to PS4, but I am surprised that they aren't including DMC4. In any case, I am not sure that Dragon's Dogma is even on their radar and aren't they supposedly still developing that Deep Down game which seemed to be a Souls-like game.