doom: what was the big deal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

Yeah, I understand that Doom has a significant spot in gaming history as it was the first fps to find a mainstream audience. But, I remember playing the game even back when it first came out and even then I found it simultaneously boring and frustrating. I really, really tried to like it but couldn't. In fact, I think Goldeneye was the first fps that I actually liked, as it was the first to involve more than just shoot stuff and find keys. Does anyone agree or am I alone on this?

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
doom3 was on the same level as crysis is today I was'nt a big fan but I did play it a bit.
dark_orb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 dark_orb
Member since 2004 • 1503 Posts
Yeah, i have to disagree with you. DOOM was amazing when it came out, it took everything Wolfenstein 3D did right and took it up several notches. Not to mention it was the Crysis of it's day in terms of visuals. In fact as far as my opinion goes the gameplay of DOOM 1 has held up better then a lot of shooters that have come out since.
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#4 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
I found the atmosphere was great in both the visual and sound f/x departments. The controls were tight, the level design was excellent, although I did get lost of few times. The character design was unique, there was LAN support, all these things just kept adding and adding to the experience.
hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts
it's the solo FPS i gave a chance and i don't regret.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

Well I can see that my opinion was in the minority, which is why the game holds its place in history. But still, this wasn't the game that got me into shooters, even as much as I tried to like it.

sofaking_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 sofaking_bob
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts
i didn't really like it either.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Doom is the ideal prototype FPS, it's the only game of its time with 100% perfect collision detection and I've never found a single glitch in all these years (except a buggy elevator in Doom 2). Duke Nukem 3D is great but it's often frustrating to play, but Doom is just relaxing to play.

...and now you can play it hi-res with freeware apps like zdoom and doomsday engine.

vgmrsepitome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 vgmrsepitome
Member since 2006 • 97 Posts
I was obsessed with Doom when it first came out. I had never played anything like it.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts
doom is still awesome to this day. in fact, its one of the very few fps i like. everytime i play a fps i think "its nice, but its still just doom with better graphics and a couple additions here and there"
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

Yeah, I understand that Doom has a significant spot in gaming history as it was the first fps to find a mainstream audience. But, I remember playing the game even back when it first came out and even then I found it simultaneously boring and frustrating. I really, really tried to like it but couldn't. In fact, I think Goldeneye was the first fps that I actually liked, as it was the first to involve more than just shoot stuff and find keys. Does anyone agree or am I alone on this?

UT_Wrestler

I had exactly the same thing. Doom made me dislike FPS and then golden eye came out and saved the day

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

Look up a great book called "Masters of Doom", about the early days of Cormack & Romero with the folks at iD Software. You owe EVERYTHING to John Carmack, sonny... know your history.

PS - I play "DOOM", "DOOM II", and "Wolfenstein 3D" every week to this day, and you haven't lived until you've gotten some friends together for a LAN party with the game. DeathMatch was INVENTED by those guys. Add to it all the fact that they made the game open-source and allowed you to make your own levels, etc. and you have the progenitor of everything Valve has done with "Half-Life" and "Counter-Strike", all of it... brought on by a couple of sharp kids from Texas.

Read the book, it doesn't take long and it's a great read, and then you'll understand why "DOOM" is not only fun to play but fundamentally important as a building point for today's industry. From the day they figured how to port Super Mario Brothers over to the PC (and Nintendo's resulting chagrin), Carmack and his people have been the biggest reason you have any sort of gaming on a PC, let-alone the effect that event had on all of the other consoles after the NES. 

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
The big deal is that it was the forefather of Deathmatch games and adult oriented games, even more so then Wolfenstein 3D. It is one of my absolute favorits even today however I can understand if others don't like it, aslong as they understand what significance it has had for FPS genre all together.
bbeastieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 bbeastieboy
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts

DOOM is still one of my favorite FPS games, mainly because it's so atmospheric. I get really into it. The game engine is probably what keeps me playing. I don't know why but I love it so much, haha.

x_Martyr_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 x_Martyr_x
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts
its still the best FPS game out there. im going to see if i can pick myself up a copy of Doom (PSX) that was one of the best ports of all time. the level design in doom is what makes it so great, its not you versus the monsters, it ends up being you versus the twisted mind of the level designer.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts
Funny, I played Final Doom today. Doom was the first FPS I played. And I played it first on the Snes.
tm0054

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tm0054
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts
Doom is one of the most influential games in history - you still see it today in almost every FPS to hit the market as they still use the basic gameplay methods set by Doom (and before that Wolfenstein 3d). It was the first FPS to offer windows, inside/outside, staircases, backdrops, mechanical lifts etc. although it wasn't true 3d - you couldn't have multiple floors on (but they cleaverly designed the levels to make you feel like there were). Its fluid movement was also a first (if you had the a P60 :) ). It also had amazing level design. As someone said it was a giant breakthrough when it came out. I've played all of the earlier iterations of Doom - it was easily my favorite game at the time. Even if you didn't like it I'm sure you can see the impact it had on the gaming industry.
wagepeace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wagepeace
Member since 2007 • 885 Posts
Yeah, i have to disagree with you. DOOM was amazing when it came out, it took everything Wolfenstein 3D did right and took it up several notches. Not to mention it was the Crysis of it's day in terms of visuals. In fact as far as my opinion goes the gameplay of DOOM 1 has held up better then a lot of shooters that have come out since.dark_orb
This is almost identical to what I was going to say. In addition, the blood and gore, and sheer scare factor for this time was unrivaled and taboo. It was the game everyone played and everyone loved to play.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

oh... parent groups HATED "DOOM"... worst thing for the kids since Ozzy... the daemons, pentagrams, the blood... Hellish imagery and explosive, bloody violence... people were falling all over themselves in protest. Great time in gaming history. Romero (who designed most of those early levels) is indeed a sadistic genius. Read the book, they talk about the early days of DeathMatch around the office and how Romero became the progenitor of gaming trash-talker filth with days-long marathons.

"DOOM" is and always will be my favorite game of all time. 

sofaking_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 sofaking_bob
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts
[QUOTE="ston3henge"]

oh... parent groups HATED "DOOM"... worst thing for the kids since Ozzy... the daemons, pentagrams, the blood... Hellish imagery and explosive, bloody violence... people were falling all over themselves in protest. Great time in gaming history. Romero (who designed most of those early levels) is indeed a sadistic genius. Read the book, they talk about the early days of DeathMatch around the office and how Romero became the progenitor of gaming trash-talker filth with days-long marathons.

"DOOM" is and always will be my favorite game of all time. 

you appear to either be a) on about your 6th red bull and stumbling across a thread on doom, or b) super infatuated... either way, you're excited! and informative.
mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 mr-krinkles
Member since 2008 • 1641 Posts
Doom is a game which owns my soul. No lie.