Doom 4 Is still the best FPS this gen no doubt..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slaveknight09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 slaveknight09
Member since 2017 • 119 Posts

No wonder it won best Action game @ game awards last year. It beat Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1. I do have doubts when it was first announced. Played the beta and still not that impressed. But the game came out in full and oh boy I was wrong. This is what I expected from the old Doom which brings back to its roots! So I was kinda bored and decided to make a montage RIP & TEAR style! This game is awesome all the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PUBYFIXvSk&feature=youtu.be

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Doom 4 is very dull when it comes to single player FPS action, I know that.

Too simple fight mechanics, for starters. No tactical depth at all. Just running and gunning all the way. Clearing room after room of samey enemies. This was all right in the 90's, but not today.

Plus the guns in D4 are all very underpowered, even when fully upgraded, and do not feel bad-a*s at all.

I'd rather play Halo when it comes to arcade shooters. And I dont even like Halo.

slaveknight09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 slaveknight09

^ someone need to git gud.. your opinion doesn't makes any sense.. and comparing this awesome game to Halo? You sound like a COD kiddo right there.. nice try bud.. nice try lol

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

DOOM is awesome. It is an old school style FPS with some modern elements. The game is extremely violent, visceral, and kinetic. What it does, it does very well.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

we've not exactly been inundated with quality fps campaigns this gen. when there's such a void in quality a good game can appear great.

doom's biggest problem is its formulaic nature that grows increasingly predictable as the game progresses. but when the game's play style with its visceral mechanics, epic weaponry and pristine visuals is so much fun it's not exactly the worst thing in the world.

titanfall 2 isn't quite as crisp and polished but the variation in level design and play style as you switch from human to titan gives it the edge over doom for me

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm playing Doom right now and its one of the best shooters of 2016, that's just my opinion

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@slaveknight09: I think D00M IV is my personal favorite FPS in a long time, the campaign is a ton of fun and love the level design and gameplay possibilities, however I'm not blind enough to ignore its flaws.

For one, the set-ups of combat are pretty retro and at times can feel repetitive. D00M wasn't known for the barrier combat zone but DIV manages to do this at a common rate. If you play the game in a single sitting, you'll find it as a flaw.

The second big one is the main thing that stops it having longevity, the online sucks. And I'm not mentioning Snap-Map, got a lot of enjoyment out of SM till imagination and limitations kicked in. The actual competitive multiplayer is a missed opportunity and don't care for it even after all the updates.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#9 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Doom was great, but the best shooter of this-gen?....NO!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Really good game and I am certainly enjoying it however it's not my favourite FPS game this gen. I preferred Titanfall 2, Halo 5, CoD: Black Ops III, and CoD: Infinite Warfare.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#11 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Really good game and I am certainly enjoying it however it's not my favourite FPS game this gen. I preferred Titanfall 2, Halo 5, CoD: Black Ops III, and CoD: Infinite Warfare.

Damn, I loved Titanfall 2. Picked it up a few months and boy did they ever do a good job. The variety in classes and titans keeps the game fresh.

I was pleasantly surprised.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZombieProof
Member since 2016 • 359 Posts

It's very fun and the feeling of catharsis at the end of a playthrough is great. My only gripe is the enemies hit registry/feedback. If feels like they're all made of hard plastic no matter what I shoot them with and that kind of sucks. Thats the one thing the devs should have brought over from Rage

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Wore thin and became monotonous very quickly.

I regret the purchase.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@slaveknight09 said:

This is what I expected from the old Doom which brings back to its roots!

That's exactly the reason why i didn't like the new Doom. I want games to move forwards, not backwards.

Sure, i understand that a little nostalgy-ride can be fun at times, but ultimately i'm looking for games that are new milestones in gaming industry; games that move genres forwards, games that have something fresh.

My favourite shooter of this gen is easily PUBG. Haven't had that much fun in an online shooter for a long time. The formula is simple, yet very effective.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Oh this must be an alt of Ghost.

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Johnmclane26
Member since 2016 • 255 Posts

@ghosts4ever Have you seen this thread Ghosts? get your tissues ready mate ;-)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24920 Posts

not just this gen but its better FPS than every FPS of last gen not named STALKER SoC.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ
@ghosts4ever said:

not just this gen but its better FPS than every FPS of last gen not named STALKER SoC.

Stalker Chernobyl is one hell of a game! Yet has its own flaws, and is a hybrid genre, seeing as it's a mix of Openworld RPG/ and FPS. It's closer to games such as Fallout3+ or Boarderlands in structure. Big world, loot, equipment, side-missions. With that, Stalker is my favorite of this kind, as it has more of a Survival Horror feel to it, which I appreciate and opens up a lot of variety for completing each objective, not to mention handles much better as a FPS than the other two mentioned franchises.

All that stated, you're of a very strict mindset if you haven't appreciated anything else in the meantime.

Can't speak for everyone. But Bioshock (for example) was a very enjoyable game for me "last gen", not much to dislike in it. Only flaw I found is it was too cinematic at times which broke the pacing. Otherwise I enjoyed everything about it, personally hold it on par with D00M IVs campaign.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

it's too one dimensional to be above some of the stand out shooters from last gen for me. i'd take crysis and warhead over it straight away. soc and call of pripyat, half life 2 episode 2, probably bioshock as well. all were more richer, multi layered experiences. against shooters that are more similar in style i.e. pure fps i'd take modern warfare and halo 3 over it too off the top of my head

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Doom is awesome, but I don't think it's the best... I preferred games like Wolfenstein: TNO etc.

Cboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cboy95
Member since 2017 • 180 Posts

Then how could it lose to a game like Overwatch?

slaveknight09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 slaveknight09

@cboy95: cause it was a fun kids game for everyone that casuals will love it. GOTY is expected to Blizzard ofc. But I'm still glad it won in its own category beating both Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2, beats Uncharted 4 too..

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

The FPS genre is currently in a serious rut, so it's not much of a contest.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Good game but not the best FPS for me

slaveknight09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By slaveknight09

@groowagon said:
@slaveknight09 said:

This is what I expected from the old Doom which brings back to its roots!

That's exactly the reason why i didn't like the new Doom. I want games to move forwards, not backwards.

Sure, i understand that a little nostalgy-ride can be fun at times, but ultimately i'm looking for games that are new milestones in gaming industry; games that move genres forwards, games that have something fresh.

My favourite shooter of this gen is easily PUBG. Haven't had that much fun in an online shooter for a long time. The formula is simple, yet very effective.

If we're talking about single player campaign.

problem is.. the "move forwards" you been saying means FPS games of today sucked so bad that we miss the open labyrinth maps were you need to find a certain key from point a to point z to open point b. And yeah your brain is functioning too.

but now you got a on rail linear cliche "COD, battlefield, killzone, etc.." were you need to watch the whole 5 - 10 minutes of cutscene before you can pass on. And makes you dumb. That's why it is called mindless shooters.

PUBG is good multiplayer. I would prefer milsim like ARMA games. And Arena type shooters like Quake and Unreal Tournament.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

it was a blast but it was way too short

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@vfighter said:

Oh this must be an alt of Ghost.

sniper?

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

Very enjoyable and very beautiful BUT Titanfall 1 and Battelfield 1 have it beat, in terms of fpd that I've played this gen. On top of all that, I actually preferred Doom 3.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

I agree with Doom 4 being the best current FPS game. Though Halo 5 is likely to win in the multiplayer department.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Call me crazy, but I enjoyed Doom 3 more.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#31 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@narlymech said:

As did I

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RSM-HQ
@narlymech said:

"Crazy"

I dislike DIII with a passion. Biggest sin was id ditched decent level design, for the sake of focusing on state of the art graphics.

And the result was a glorified tech demo.

id Software lost a lot of fans with that mediocre scrap.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33  Edited By Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Love the music and the art style. I have it since the lunch and still haven't finish it. I find the game quite boring after a while. You enter a new place, kill everything, doors or a path open and you move on. Didn't like it that much. The online part is so, so, so boring to play ...

I bought Titanfall 2 yesterday and man this is super fun to play. Full of action, the guns feels is satisfying and playing with people into it makes a battle super fun while guy running on walls and then someone call of his titan and it become a team effort to destroy it.

For the record I did love KillZone, 2,3 and Mercenary a lot. Unreal is also super fun to me.

Avatar image for residentsleeper
ResidentSleeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ResidentSleeper
Member since 2017 • 51 Posts

The different FPS games that were released over the course of this generation do vary and cater to various audiences. If you were an old school FPS player then games like Quake Arena, Wolfenstein and DOOM would definitely take the cake but as always the genre tries to evolve, while CoD and Battlefield games try their best to not become cookie cutter games. The Metro series try to revamp the FPS genre by mixing elements into it.

Point is there are no "best" FPS games as all FPS games stem from the First Person perspective. It's like comparing PREY to Crysis. CoD to Dishonored.