does the notion of a game breed boredom?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 0

#1 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

i'm talking about the 'temporary enjoyment' nature of games, the sheer number of different video games available to play, and the fact that most of them are not that 'deep'. i guess people might call that the nature of 'fun' in playing video games.

for me, playing often makes me bored or wanting to change to another game. this is odd, because games exist to combat boredom, and are supposed to be counter to it. but are games made to eventually become boring, requiring that another game be played to fill the gap? it's just a cycle i noticed.

themountaindew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 themountaindew
Member since 2007 • 834 Posts

Maybe your attention deficit?

I'm kidding. But that doesn't happen for me. I also don't play casual games like sports games or driving games. When I sit down to play a game, I play it for a couple hours, if I'm bored, its probably not a good game. Maybe that's it, maybe your just playing terrible games, idk.

So, to answer your question, no. At least for me, good games do not breed boredom, they combat it, very well I might add.

themountaindew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 themountaindew
Member since 2007 • 834 Posts

Maybe your attention deficit?

I'm kidding. But that doesn't happen for me. I also don't play casual games like sports games or driving games. When I sit down to play a game, I play it for a couple hours, if I'm bored, its probably not a good game. Maybe that's it, maybe your just playing terrible games, idk.

So, to answer your question, no. At least for me, good games do not breed boredom, they combat it, very well I might add.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
When I really think about it yeah I feel it most of the time. By the way TC, your avatar reminds me of Miranda from Mass Effect 2 for some reason...
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#5 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Well, when I was younger, I felt like I HAD to play all the new games that came out, but that created a problem. I could never finish anything because I was always moving to the next. Nowadays, I dedicate myself to only one console and one handheld game at a time, and I'm finding that it's much easier for me to focus on the games.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

It is really rare I get bored with a game, the closest thing is when a game has some "down time" where I have room to think, and take in the world around me, even then I am not really bored, just calm and relaxed.

The boredom can be due to alot of games being the "same" More often then not a fps looks and feels like another I playied just reskinned.

So for me, the rare occation when I am bored is due to the game offering nothing I havent been through before, or a downright bad story.

Or maybe gaming just doessnt inttrest you as much as it used to? it does happen to some people ;) Like how I grow bored by watching tv for more then 10 mins, because all shows are the same just alterations of what has gone before.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 just_nonplussed

When I really think about it yeah I feel it most of the time. By the way TC, your avatar reminds me of Miranda from Mass Effect 2 for some reason...Pvt_r3d

well it got taken down! i guess it was too provocative. pretty ridiculous really. i've seen worse. it was an image from MGS4.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 just_nonplussed

It is really rare I get bored with a game, the closest thing is when a game has some "down time" where I have room to think, and take in the world around me, even then I am not really bored, just calm and relaxed.

The boredom can be due to alot of games being the "same" More often then not a fps looks and feels like another I playied just reskinned.

So for me, the rare occation when I am bored is due to the game offering nothing I havent been through before, or a downright bad story.

Or maybe gaming just doessnt inttrest you as much as it used to? it does happen to some people ;) Like how I grow bored by watching tv for more then 10 mins, because all shows are the same just alterations of what has gone before.

Maddie_Larkin

yeah, i think it's mostly because a lot of games i find offer either very little challenge, or simply insane difficulty. it's hard to find a middleground that gets me excited. i think a lot of games lack mystery and rarely play on the curiosity of the player. it's just.. shoot that. or beat this.

VXLbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 VXLbeast
Member since 2008 • 1840 Posts

Most games do bore me. It takes a really interesting game to get me excited. The more unique, the more likely it is that I will like the game. The said part is when I play a game that bores me, just cause I have nothing else to do...

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I guess, but even when I was smaller I had thoughts of getting a game that just didn't get boring. I guess that's why I like fighting games with the same system throughout the series (Tekken2-3-tag...5..6);It's basically the same thing, but with improvements. The main reason why stopped playing those games for a while is because I didn't have any competition (I played my olderbrother until it was a chore to beat him. Yes, it was actually a chore sometimes, since he'd beat me and force me to play again as part of our agreements)....That's probably why I enjoyed Final Fantasy 7 as well. The system seemed great and it took me nearly a month (20-30 days, not a few hours a day) to beat most everything and master the materias a few times. Also, many things I learned growing up about the world seemed to fit right in with FF7's story (Mako/Fossil Fuels/Rainforests, Midgar-Wutai/America-Japan, Cosmo Canyon's inhabitants and overall atmosphere/The Indians of North America, etc..), so I thought it was worth taking interest in beyond getting that next victory theme.

I'd say that's why I really like Halo when I first played it, too. It was a fun challenge with gameplay to learn from...not to mention the multiplayer.

I've noticed some game series stick to a basic formula and change it some (Tekken, Halo, Prince of Persia) while others will take big risks and pay off (Capcom VS Series). Like many thing, motivation helps.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 just_nonplussed

I guess, but even when I was smaller I had thoughts of getting a game that just didn't get boring. I guess that's why I like fighting games with the same system throughout the series (Tekken2-3-tag...5..6);It's basically the same thing, but with improvements. The main reason why stopped playing those games for a while is because I didn't have any competition (I played my olderbrother until it was a chore to beat him. Yes, it was actually a chore sometimes, since he'd beat me and force me to play again as part of our agreements)....That's probably why I enjoyed Final Fantasy 7 as well. The system seemed great and it took me nearly a month (20-30 days, not a few hours a day) to beat most everything and master the materias a few times. Also, many things I learned growing up about the world seemed to fit right in with FF7's story (Mako/Fossil Fuels/Rainforests, Midgar-Wutai/America-Japan, Cosmo Canyon's inhabitants and overall atmosphere/The Indians of North America, etc..), so I thought it was worth taking interest in beyond getting that next victory theme.

I'd say that's why I really like Halo when I first played it, too. It was a fun challenge with gameplay to learn from...not to mention the multiplayer.

I've noticed some game series stick to a basic formula and change it some (Tekken, Halo, Prince of Persia) while others will take big risks and pay off (Capcom VS Series). Like many thing, motivation helps.

BranKetra

FF7 was cool because when it came out in the west, most people hadn't played a game like it. now, those types of games are everywhere.

i get what you're saying with fighting games. because it's just a single-screen game and it has such focus, there is either a compelling reason to play, or not. while in more adventure style games you could be wandering around for ages not making any progress, or doing a part of the game that is to easy, or too samey.