Does Shadow of Mordor live up to the hype?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

What are your thoughts on this? AC traversal + Batman combat + LOTR + The Nemisis system seems like a win to me but always difficult to tell with people who buy into hype. Is it really that good or just more of the same that got overrated because people want to like something with the lack of games this year and htat it was overlooked. Thinking strongly of picking it up.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The game just came out. Give people time to play it before asking such premature questions.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59229 Posts

Didn't really have hype, a lot of people dismissed it, including myself.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I haven't follow the hype or really notice it (at least on my end), but it is definitely a good game. So yes, I guess.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17680 Posts

I wasn't hyped for this at all, so yea it's lived up to my non-hype level. A pleasant surprise.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Ya I'm pleasantly surprised as I didn't really look into the game before launch. So far I'm enjoying it, visuals are nice am playing with the hd texture pack at 1440p, and it for sure makes a difference compared to my friends ps4 he brought over the other night. Gameplay is rather fun too. Enjoy killing orcs and urike,all ways satisfying. The only major complaint I have with the game is it's far too easy, and there is no higher difficulties. I almost never die so captions never lvl up or get stronger making the nemisis system literally pointless most the time. As I haven't once had trouble taking any of the higher up guys down. The times I die are from taking on too many and that will be remedied the moment I get some Area of affect attacks. So it does have a major flaw in it's diffictulty level which I'm sure will eventually make me stop playing it. But for now I'm not minding it still more things to do and warcheifs to kill, I'm hoping they make for a better fight.

tsohgallik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tsohgallik
Member since 2014 • 74 Posts

Hmm, not surprising that, that's what the game is... I expected a lot of Assassins Creed and Batman

MedaFaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MedaFaded
Member since 2014 • 274 Posts

@Celtic_34: Awesome game yes it does look, and feel like AC, but I think it to be much better. No boring quest, or random boring cutscenes, just killing, and more killing. I've got over 8 hours in the last two days, and love it.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts

im enjoying it so far.

the controls for navigating around the place are not as intuitive as assasins creed though....its a bit rougher around the edges. little things like having to press space to climb up a ledge rather than the forward button or having to face the direction you want to move to when sneeking on top of walls rather than just presseing the necessary direction key.

the combat is good fun. very fast paced. unlike creed the enemy dont just come at you one at a time in this. its very much like batman AA combat. dealing with ranged enemies in the middle of a brawl is a pain though and it can be easy to be overwhelmed. dealing with beasts is also a bother. remember cowardice is the better part of valour :P.

the game does throw you in the deep end though. be prepared to learn and adapt quickly. it does a very poor job of explaining the systems in the game so you will have to learn as you go along. e.g. i ran into a captain that just kept regerating health. i tried everything i could think of to beat him but he just kept coming for more. so i legged it. later i just so happened to interrogate an orc that gave intel (a system that was never shown to me before because i didnt complete the second mission at this stage). i then saw this captains weaknesses. next time i ran into him i killed him.

pick your fights carefully (i.e. dont run head on into a group of 15 orcs) and run when you have to and it shouldnt prove too frustrating though.

overall good game. i wasnt hyped about it initally but bought it on the strength of the positive feedback and i liked the ideas in the game.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

AC traversal + Batman combat + LOTR + The Nemisis system seems like a win to me

Sounds fucking terrible to me.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44402 Posts

Haven't picked it up yet but everything that I've read and seen on the game sounds and looks awesome, I want it. This game wasn't hyped so I'd say that it was more of a 'surprise hit' kind of game.

RattlingSabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RattlingSabre
Member since 2014 • 43 Posts

I was skeptical about ME: SoM in the beginnin, as I am with almost all games described as RPG. But when I read the details about the game here & other sites and after amazing review score I decided to try it, especially after finding it was stealth based game. So I bought it on PS4. After playing for few hours I started resenting the game. There was nothing to it but Assassin's Creed style gameplay, with very few walls to climb on, and where ever I went there was this same rusty-brownish hilly terrain & some ruins. I wanted to stop playing it but for some reason I gave it couple of more tries. Next thing I know is that I love this game. Its actually quite amazing. Yes the gameplay is combination of elements from Assassin's Creed & Arkham series but that's all good. But the best part is that the game adds a unique element of its own to the gameplay, namely 'magic.' After completing few of the missions I think people would start to get hang of it.

For me its worth the 8/10 score.