Does Kingdom Come: Deliverance have the best First-Person sword fighting in any Action-RPG ever?

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Does Kingdom Come: Deliverance have the best First-Person sword fighting in any Action-RPG ever? (5 votes)

Yes 40%
No 60%

As the title says, the more I play it, the more fun it gets, it never ever feels boring, it's just my favorite thing to do in the game, just go out, find a group of bandits, and take them on CQC.

I'm sure a lot of people are going to bring up something like "Condemned: Criminal Origins" (not an RPG though), and definitely Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, but imo? I think it trumps them both.

Just my opinion though, what do you think?

• 
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

I've been meaning to give the game another go. Really admired what it was trying to do, but could not get into it that much.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

I've read the combat is pretty good, but doesn't seem to have much competition considering melee combat is clearly superior in third person perspective games.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TiggyTog
Member since 2017 • 324 Posts

@RSM-HQ: Well of course, when we have games like Dragon's Dogma, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Kingdom's of Amalur, how can they be compared?

It has, unarguably, the most realistic combat in any game in history. It's more realistic then Bushido Blade, or Dark Souls, or Way of the Samurai, it's more realistic then all of them, thats not just me saying it, thats real life HEMA practitioners that are saying it.

AFAIK, the team spent 10 years just learning about swordplay & the setting they meant to place the game in.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
@tiggytog said:

Well of course, when we have games like Dragon Age: Inquisition, how can they be compared?

That's a joke right?

It has, unarguably, the most realistic combat in any game in history

It's more realistic then Bushido Blade, or Dark Souls

thats real life HEMA practitioners that are saying it

Is that a positive? Because for me that's not a selling point in a game praising its combat. More realistic than Dark Souls. . .

You mean the game I can throw Lightning Spears and i-frame roll through a 2H Dragon's Tooth heavy. .

Ok, so I'm sure Kingdom Come is cool for those who want a simulator experience and good for them. Yet simulation doesn't reflect to good gameplay, or at least I've never actually seen it done well. And don't believe it's the intent_

Simulators are firstly designed for people that don't actually play games for the enjoyment of deep or interesting/ polished mechanics. Simulators are for a view for how something would function within the rules of reality entirely, whether that be physics, hunger, and other 'limitations' that's the key word. . And that comes across as unresponsive, sluggish, and boring.

Devil May Cry 3 (for example) isn't any less awesome a game because I can't double-jump 30 feet in the air, slowdown time, or cancel combos mid-swing in real life. No, it's great because it does combat mechanics in a complex and interest way, with a level of polish the game wouldn't have if it tried being realistic.

Fun, deep, and rewarding to encourage experimentation is the summation of good gameplay. Anything that tries to be anything else is not worth my time or patience in the hobby.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TiggyTog

@RSM-HQ: I mean, personally, I spent nearly 300+ hours in Kingdom Come, and the combat was the thing that kept me coming back.

If you don't wanna play it for the combat, play it for the story, or the (legitimately awesome) sidequests.

Cantina goes into it a bit more:

Loading Video...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ

@tiggytog: I don't really play many games for story so I think it's a hard pass for me, looks like it hits certain levels of enjoyment for a particular niche audience. Sure it's good for those that want a simulator regardless_

It's also worth noting, Youtubers comparing everything to Skyrim shows how much impact that game had and inspired developers for seven years now. I'm thankful for many developers wanted to be better in areas that The Elder Scrolls V failed in, but it's still the game many would prefer to play because of its streamlined functions, and cheap price tag for being a dated game helps.

I was over TESV in 2011, had fun, and moved on. Failed at being an RPG which was my main compliant, but in that failure is what brought the casual market and that's why it's successful.

Anyway comparing a game in 2018 to one in 2011 is a pretty dumb idea, as it lacks relevance. When well received and top selling modern RPG games exist- The Witcher III, Dark Souls III, Divinity: OSII, or Monster Hunter: World.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TiggyTog

@RSM-HQ: But Kingdom Come is a real RPG, there's skills, skill checks, etc.

AND there's a lot of them, your choices in the game matter and make a difference.

I would say try it yourself, its very fun.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
@tiggytog said:

@RSM-HQ: But Kingdom Come is a real RPG, there's skills

AND there's a lot of them

I know you are just trying to show your passion for the RPG you play, yet undermining other RPG games you likely know less about isn't strengthening your case. For reference on this what is 'a real RPG' I will humor the concept and this talk of skills (you may ask why I'm overlooking skill checks and can equally answer them with TWIII and D:OSII)_

This is a Charm Skill table for Monster Hunter (two of four parts of skills usage in MH, others meals, and buff items)_

And here is the one for Divinity

Let me know if they are not RPG enough for you. Because they're clearly more RPG/ skill table focused than Skyrim.

I would say try it yourself, its very fun.

I was considering Kingdom Come earlier in the year, was thrown off for the bugs and awaiting fix patches. But the idea of simulator ontop those issues went from a "maybe" to a "nope". But don't let me change your stance on the game, you clearly enjoy it so continue to do so.

Assuming it's the only real RPG since Skyrim is pretty weird though, and not sure who you're trying to prove with that statement.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TiggyTog

@RSM-HQ: I didn't say it was the greatest RPG since Skyrim, that was a video I posted that had nothing to do with how I saw Skyrim. The guy in said video was just talking about the combat as a whole, and from the look of the video, he had also been playing Dark Messiah of Might and Magic at the time.

I really think you're making a mistake by not at least giving Kingdom Come a try, it's a great game thats often overlooked because of its buggy launch and huge patches, but when you look past that, its a full-blown RPG filled with things that make any RPG feel good.

I don't consider Skyrim a good RPG, even if I do consider it a good game, any of the other Elder Scrolls games were better.

Like for example, in Kingdom Come, you fight with certain things to get better at them. There's tons of skills that come in handy all the time, like reading, pickpocketing, beer-drinking, etc. All that come with their own uses inside and outside of combat.

Of course it's just my opinion, but other RPG's I've loved have been Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Mount & Blade: Warband, and Dark Souls.