Does EB Games Have the Worst Customer Service Ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts

I've been sold a used game as new, I've hung up by several times over the phone because I asked a question, and just today I've had the worst experience so far.

I called them to check if they had an old game in stock and it took them about more than 2 minutes to pick up. The person on the other line said they would check for me and they put the phone down. I waited for 10 MINUTES and the phone was still just sitting there, and I just heard people talking and they didn't even tell me anything... I call again right after and the phone is still off the line. Do they normally just leave a phone with someone waiting for a response on the other line just on the table? Maybe they thought they were getting back at me for calling them or something stupid.. I don't know what's wrong with EB Games but they are a TERRIBLE store.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

That stuff happens to me all the time there too.

Anti-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Anti-Venom
Member since 2008 • 5646 Posts
I never buy games from there...I crossed that place off my list a long time ago
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Call them back and ask if they have Battletoads in stock, when they'll get it back in stock, and then proceed to tell them how awesome the game is and that they must have it in the store but just aren't looking hard enough.
kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

yes...

i whanted a new psp and i went and the guy told me he only had used ones and i asked if he could call the other EB games and ask if they had new ones their..

and he went to the back room to ask and he said they didnt have any..

i tout it was suspicious so i whent to the other one anyways.. AND THEY HAD NEW ONES:o

i told him what he said and that guy got in trouble... and i got my new psp.. Muahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!

Vic-Ferrari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vic-Ferrari
Member since 2009 • 1637 Posts
I've never had any customer service problems with Gamestop.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

They're okay here in Canada. Not spectacular, but it's ok.

jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#8 jks22112
Member since 2005 • 2395 Posts
It all depends on where you go, but this is always constant. For the most part, especially with young people if they hate their job, they're not going to try very hard or care. I've never worked at a Gamestop, but I haven't heard of many people liking their job there, just a bunch of "I thought working with games would be fun but Gamestop is a horrible company to work for" stories. That's something these large companies will never seem to get the best customer service comes from people who like their job and feel appreciated, not people who will be stepped on by everyone. But the upper management of a company, pretty much you can get away with anything with them. Complain about anything, even if its against their policy and the company will make the store bend to your will.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#9 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I've never had a problem at EB.

But that phone thing, I think you're making too much of it. I doubt it was anything malicious on their part. The guy put the phone down, something came up right away, and then forgot that you were there. I very highly doubt they were trying to annoy you.

xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts

Ive never had a problem,its where I get all my games.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Only problems I ever had were of my own doings.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I've never had any customer service problems with Gamestop.Vic-Ferrari
I actually love the store.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I've been sold a used game as new, I've hung up by several times over the phone because I asked a question, and just today I've had the worst experience so far.

I called them to check if they had an old game in stock and it took them about more than 2 minutes to pick up. The person on the other line said they would check for me and they put the phone down. I waited for 10 MINUTES and the phone was still just sitting there, and I just heard people talking and they didn't even tell me anything... I call again right after and the phone is still off the line. Do they normally just leave a phone with someone waiting for a response on the other line just on the table? Maybe they thought they were getting back at me for calling them or something stupid.. I don't know what's wrong with EB Games but they are a TERRIBLE store.

brandontwb

I agree their service is not that great about 90% of the time--occasionally you get the really enthusiastic helpful gamer, but to be fair, the situation you described is more on your fault than the stores. When you call a service like gamestop, you have to understand that the customers customers in-store generally come first. It is very possible that they had people around asking questions, people browsing the games, people in the process of being helped, and you also have to remember that typically only two people work there at any given time. Heck, it is also possible that your phone call may have made someone who actually went to the store feel the same way as you. From the tone of your post It sounds like you wanted to be treated first and foremost.

That's not to say that generally I don't agree with you, but anyone that has worked a service job I think would agree that there is an annoyance with people that call in for questions that expect to be put ahead of people actually making a treck down to the store, where there is face to face confrontation.

BeyondPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 BeyondPain
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts
I have really nice people at the one I go to (here in Australia) so I quite like EB customer service. I dont normally buy from them because they tend to be expensive when they dont have sales on.
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 brandontwb

[QUOTE="brandontwb"]

Heirren

I agree their service is not that great about 90% of the time--occasionally you get the really enthusiastic helpful gamer, but to be fair, the situation you described is more on your fault than the stores. When you call a service like gamestop, you have to understand that the customers customers in-store generally come first. It is very possible that they had people around asking questions, people browsing the games, people in the process of being helped, and you also have to remember that typically only two people work there at any given time. Heck, it is also possible that your phone call may have made someone who actually went to the store feel the same way as you. From the tone of your post It sounds like you wanted to be treated first and foremost.

That's not to say that generally I don't agree with you, but anyone that has worked a service job I think would agree that there is an annoyance with people that call in for questions that expect to be put ahead of people actually making a treck down to the store, where there is face to face confrontation.

No, I would have been fine with a, "I'm sorry, we're too busy right now, you can reach us later," type of thing, and I would have just called another store.
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#16 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

No problems with the service.

Just the trade policy. Wanted to trade in Gears 1, and Bioshock 1 a few months ago, they offered me $3. Total. I laughed and then proceeded to walk out the door. Granted they are older games, but I was still shocked.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27895 Posts

I hate that place too.

outside of online stores the only actual retailors I shop at are game crazxy and play n trade, and since Game Crazy went under that narrows it down to just play n trade.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#18 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="brandontwb"]

brandontwb

No, I would have been fine with a, "I'm sorry, we're too busy right now, you can reach us later," type of thing, and I would have just called another store.

Sometimes things come up and people forget. You make it sound like he was deliberately trying to annoy you in the OP, which I highly doubt he was.

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 brandontwb

[QUOTE="brandontwb"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

BuryMe

Sometimes things come up and people forget. You make it sound like he was deliberately trying to annoy you in the OP, which I highly doubt he was.

No, I just suggested that they may have been trying to annoy me. It's still the fact that they have hung-up on me many times and generally given me crappy experiences, and now left a customer waiting on the phone for over 10 minutes.
Shub-Niggurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20 Shub-Niggurath
Member since 2004 • 558 Posts
I've had customer service issues with Gamestop stores before. I've also had some solid experiences there as well. It all depends on the people working in the store. Some retail outlets hire people who don't take the job because they want to work in a store like that. They take the job because they need money. A lot of people just hate their jobs. As such they half-@$$ their work. They do just enough to avoid being fired (and sometimes not even that much). As for the hanging up, are you sure they did it on purpose? Maybe it was an accident. I used to work at a Gamestop store here and I hung up on more than one customer because I tried to put the phone on hold and I botched it. I've also left a couple of customers on hold for much longer than I should have. I was looking up a trade-in for the caller and the other employee on duty had to go in the back to get the order from the Fed Ex guy. While this was going on a customer came in with some trade-ins and wanted a game. I had to ring up the transaction and when the other employee came out of the back I asked him if he could field the phone call (I even told him the trade in value to report). He started processing the truck and didn't do it either. After about 15 minutes I noticed the flashing "hold" light on the phone and had an "oh $h!t" moment. Apparently he had the patience of a saint and waited for it. My point is, you may just have been unlucky in your dealings with Gamestop. If you're going to just write them off then I'm not going to tell you how to feel. It's your choice. But you may have biased your views on what's happeneing and may have misinterpreted what happened. My bad customer service experiences that take place from buying games usually happen at stores like Wal-Mart and Meijer's. My favorite at Wal-Mart is the guy who tells you "I don't know anything about video games so just point". You know, since they're illiterate and unable to read the titles or determine that all the games with the word Wii on it are in those doors, the ones that say PS3 are in these doors, and the ones that say XBox 360 are in the remaining doors, grouped together. My gripe with Gamestop has always been the trade-in policy. They're becoming more profit minded so even though all 3 current gen consoles are backwards compatible with the vast majority of their previous games you can't trade in GC, PS2, or XBox games. And then when they take back the current gen games you get next to nothing for them. You cough up $60 for PS3 and 360 titles and $50 for the Wii (this isn't always the case, but it's the average rate for the games). They turn around and give you around $10 for the title but then stick em up and sell them for $5 to $10 less than new and keep them at that price for far too long. They're lame about stuff like that so I just stopped trading in games. I know it's based on how old they are and I hold on to them for far too long for them to be worth anything in credit.
gundaicut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gundaicut
Member since 2010 • 456 Posts

It depends on the ebgames u go to like i found a new 1 that opened like 1year ago when the owner's there he likes to sell games for $20 off the retail i been buying my games their ever sincehe told me and my friends he can hook us upalso i found that his ebgames was so busy compared to ebgames in the malls