does cyberpunk look like cd project is shoehorning in keanu JUST because of death stranding

Flyin3lvl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Flyin3lvl
Member since 2013 • 3173 Posts

that is of course from my perspective here we have death stranding with big A hitters celebs then boom this.......

how i got to this conclusion -

we have known about cyber for how many years? ..... like many people - i have also pored over the trailers , continued the hype train through all the news articles and every scrap of info (I) they can get and not once or even hinted this was gonna happen. not even after last years massive hype on the gameplay trailer. no clues or hint of him being there... for a game that has been in development for how many years ? i should know but i dont, its been in development for years not overnight.

its great for a surprise and all that, but now it feels kinda forced and lost some interest. im not a fan of this dude to be honest so maybe thats a large part of all this, but then there are peeps i like you wont , but to see a guy who iv only seen in the matrix all them years ago ...not excited to see him suddenly appear here. seems very out of place within the world AND with the timing of the announcement

here is another hint- he didn't seem to really talk much about the game on stage just threw out p.r speak and generic lines while lapping up the biggest cheers in the whole conference (3rd party title getting more cheers then ANY 1st party game ms showed, had to get that dig in sorry :D )

showed no actual gameplay with how he will be Incorporated into the story and world as a whole. he just there but if it was in development all them years and if he was included from many years of that im sure we would have trailers with his lines in them ..... unless he just started recording them last week

and now i read he plays a ghost ?! seems stupid to me but hay my opinion is dropping on this game so take it with pinch of salt. if it was such a big deal he would have been revelled months / years ago

what changed?

the announcement of death stranding

thats all i see ""hay look what he done we must get someone big to promote i mean be apart of our game""

*ring* ""wanna be in our game?""

""sure i was waiting for death stranding but this will do"" :D

and yes this whole argument falls apart when other games in years have included celebs but they usually tell it straight up .... not out the blue at e3 after years of development and so soon after stranding seems sussed

basically this looks and feels like a publicity stunt more then a game now and him breaks the immersion for me and i think that what killed it a little for me personally world immersion has been broken

curious any other thoughts?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19569 Posts

I doubt CDPR cares about Death Stranding in the slightest. Death Stranding is a niche title in a different genre, and stars "that guy from that TV show that used to be a bit popular". It's not a competitor for Cyberpunk's sales. It isn't even on their radar.

Anyway, Keanu Reeves' involvement definitely has a lot to do with marketing - you don't involve a celebrity without counting on his celebrity status - but it also strangely works. Keanu has some resonance with cyberpunk movies, since he was Johnny Mnemonic and Neo, so he doesn't feel totally out of place.

Also, CDPR probably felt that they needed someone big to play an iconic character from the Cyberpunk roleplaying books. Especially if he'll play an important role in the story (which seems very likely).

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

think he is some sort of Cortana-esque presence. I think they called him a "digistruct" and I believe his look is based on the "hero you idolized as a kid" question during character creation. So there was some suggestion that Keanu was an optional presence, but that would be surprising.

Also, "ghost" as in Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Machine, etc. The digital imprint of the mind of someone long dead.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Bit like Terry Crews and Crackdown 3 then. Sure sign the game is in trouble.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44152 Posts

I seriously doubt that myself but even if they did I don’t think that it would alter my perception of the game at all. It still looks and sounds like it’ll be a fantastic game and having someone like Keanu Reeves in it just seems like another great addition to the overall game.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

It's because of Jessica Chobot in ME3 come on it's so obvious.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I don’t think so.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

If so Cyberpunk honestly doesn't need to concern itself with Death Stranding, going for drastically different goals. On that note Cyberpunk seems to have a clear vision in what it is. Death Stranding seems to be having an identity crisis, which could either be good or awful. Currently leaning to the later from early impressions_

And they're both not exactly the first games to use hollywood celebrities at anycase.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Ghost Recon has The Punisher, too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

If they are, it's working out well.

Avatar image for adingoatemybaby
ADingoAteMyBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ADingoAteMyBaby
Member since 2016 • 63 Posts

Blasphemous! Keanu is to be worshiped. I would turn full on power bottom for that man.

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

Let me answer that question with another queston.

Does Death Standing look like Kojima Productions is shoehorning in Norman Reedus JUST because of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare?

And did Activision shoehorn Kevin Spacey in JUST because of Beyond: Two Souls?

I do find it kind of sad your opinion of a game has lowered just because the likeness of a famous human has been added to the cast of characters, but that's just me. It's like if I boycotted Kingdom Hearts 3 just because it has two in-game recreations of Frozen songs.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

What if they mo-cap Kayne West and Lady Gaga too. There were news about those two visiting CD Projeck studios but CD Projeck rejected the claims. What if they weren't there for singing but for mo-cap acting. But Kayne West is incompetent at acting so I don't know how they were able to handle him.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

What I found amusing is that Keanu obviously isn't a gamer! He even said in that publicity stunt that he HADN'T EVEN HEARD OF THE GAME until he was recently approached about it LOL.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@thereal25 said:

What I found amusing is that Keanu obviously isn't a gamer! He even said in that publicity stunt that he HADN'T EVEN HEARD OF THE GAME until he was recently approached about it LOL.

I mean, is there some written law you have to be? Maybe he just thought it was a really interesting project. The guy has been in alot of sci-fi movies, so guessing to gravitates towards this stuff naturally.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Death Stranding is not the first game to feature Hollywood actors so I really doubt it had anything to do with CDPR's decision. Keanu has seen increasing popularity in the last few years due to the John Wick movies so it was a smart move on their part to capitalize on that.