Does Bioshock Infinite deserve all the amazing ratings?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

learningpuppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 learningpuppy
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Bioshock Infinite was a really fun game that i invested several action packed, mind blowing hours into.  At the end of the day however, i do not think that it is quite as good as all of the game websites and companies are saying it is.  Story is good and visual are stunning.  The story is linear but I play the uncharted games and Arkham Asylum so i do enjoy linear games.  To me it just seems that everyone out there absolutely loves this game, when I didnt really see it.  I would probably give it an 8 out of 10.  It is just me, or are there other poeple that think all of the outstanding reviews are a bit much?

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Its just a number. It only matters if you think it matters, but it definately doesn't make a difference.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

If they can support their rating then it is fine.

fl4tlined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 fl4tlined
Member since 2007 • 4134 Posts
I feel like no i did not on my scale of how I rate games (5 being actually average) i would probably give the game a 7.5 or a 8 nothing really amazing or innovative about the gameplay in any way shape or form other then maybe the skyhook but the story more then warrants buying the game due to it being that good
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

Bioshock Infinite was a really fun game that i invested several action packed, mind blowing hours into.  At the end of the day however, i do not think that it is quite as good as all of the game websites and companies are saying it is.  Story is good and visual are stunning.  The story is linear but I play the uncharted games and Arkham Asylum so i do enjoy linear games.  To me it just seems that everyone out there absolutely loves this game, when I didnt really see it.  I would probably give it an 8 out of 10.  It is just me, or are there other poeple that think all of the outstanding reviews are a bit much?

learningpuppy
it's overrated but the pc version is way better than the console versions.
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
I really liked it, but it's still my most disappointing game of this year. I'd still give it something between an 8.5-9.0, but I was really expecting this to be one of the most perfect games released due to how much time Levine spent on it, and the effort he seemed to be putting into it. If I had known some of the development issues such as team member departures and complete theme scrapping, I would have lowered my expectations. tl;dr Great game. Not "amazing" at all. Still a decent GOTY contender.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

yes

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#8 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I think it is worth the praise. For the little fact that there are still developers (and publishers) who are willing to risk it and introduce a game that touches on different, even "touchy" subjects in their games. Unlike your Call of Duty/Batllefield type of games or your generic shooter. I will always support innovation, whether it is a story-related, gameplay-related or what have you...

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

Not to be flippant, but it got them, so it deserved them. 

I have not played it, nor likely ever will unless if gets under $10 on Steam, so can't say yet if I agree with the critical consensus.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#10 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Bioshock Infinite deserves the good scores, it's a great game.

But ratings are just numbers, who cares?

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
The dust has settled a little. and i still say its truly an amazing game!
Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

It was awesome

jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jackfruitchips
Member since 2012 • 1065 Posts

Like many overhyped games, it's a bit overrated IMO. I had a blast playing it but I think it's not a 10 material, I'd give it an 8.5 or 9. IG's the decision to limit the player to only 2 guns at a time is a bad design choice, which is the main reason I don't give it a 10.

The combat is your basic machine gun, shotgun, RPG, and hand gun combat, the gun upgrades were completely boring with the typical increase dmg done and clip size.Ballroompirate
But it has a lot of guns and vigors, and Elizabeth's ability to open tears is innovative and awesome. Oh I forgot the special attacks from the Skylines.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

People praised Infinite way too much, the game was amazing but I would say it suffers from dull combat (at least shooting mechanics wise). The combat is your basic machine gun, shotgun, RPG, and hand gun combat, the gun upgrades were completely boring with the typical increase dmg done and clip size.

Infinite is still a wonderful game, except people can over praise it, the game is still a GOTY material but it will probably be phased out with Metro Last Light and other games later this year.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
It's just an arbitrary number used to sell magazines and advertisements. It doesn't actually mean anything. I think we've all played at least a couple of highly rated games that seemed suspiciously high rated compared to the gameplay experience they deliver...
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
It doesn't deserve ANY praise. Like the other two Bioshock games, it's bad and pretentious. Just get on GOG and play System Shock 2 instead.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

nope way over hyped and the the industry has an issue with imo. I saw way to many 9.5's and even 10's and it's just not that good. Its an excellent game indeed but perfect it is not. I could easily think of quite a few ways the game could be better and i know im not alone on that so i dont get why it has scored so high. I would personally give it 8.5.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

To be honest, no.

I felt like watching a movie.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts

Like many overhyped games, it's a bit overrated IMO. I had a blast playing it but I think it's not a 10 material, I'd give it an 8.5 or 9. IG's the decision to limit the player to only 2 guns at a time is a bad design choice, which is the main reason I don't give it a 10.

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]The combat is your basic machine gun, shotgun, RPG, and hand gun combat, the gun upgrades were completely boring with the typical increase dmg done and clip size.jackfruitchips

But it has a lot of guns and vigors, and Elizabeth's ability to open tears is innovative and awesome. Oh I forgot the special attacks from the Skylines.

Valid, but about half those guns were simply clones of the other half, which I felt was a very dumb decision. As for the vigors, most of the interesting ones were already done in Bioshock 1, and most of the ones that weren't were just uninspired, ram being the principal example. Tears felt shoe-horned. If anything, it's the gear that actually added to the gameplay that could, in real ways, alter your gameplay style. Unlike many others, I didn't think there weren't enough skylines. i thought they had a respectable amount. The last thing we need is yet another "Here's why Infinite was overrated" thread.
edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

Check out my review of the game--sums things up pretty well.  Gave it an 8.5

learningpuppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 learningpuppy
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Valid, but about half those guns were simply clones of the other half, which I felt was a very dumb decision. As for the vigors, most of the interesting ones were already done in Bioshock 1, and most of the ones that weren't were just uninspired, ram being the principal example. Tears felt shoe-horned. If anything, it's the gear that actually added to the gameplay that could, in real ways, alter your gameplay style. Unlike many others, I didn't think there weren't enough skylines. i thought they had a respectable amount. The last thing we need is yet another "Here's why Infinite was overrated" thread.

I'm sorry about that.  the point of my thread was just to see if there were others who thought the general 9.5 ratings were too high.  I did enjoy the game and was not attempting to bash it

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#22 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

It's an awesome game with a stunning world and a smart story and script. I think it deserves all the high praise, though for me I don't think it'll be GOTY.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Yes it's a great game. The best so far this year.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
I thought it was incredible. The character development, atmosphere and story line completely overshadow any minor complaints I have with the game. 9.5/10 from me. A true masterpiece.
new_gamer244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 new_gamer244
Member since 2011 • 338 Posts

No...it feel like and look like a 2004 game. 

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blueresident87

No...it feel like and look like a 2004 game.

new_gamer244

Ha...what???

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blueresident87

I thought it was incredible. The character development, atmosphere and story line completely overshadow any minor complaints I have with the game. 9.5/10 from me. A true masterpiece. chrisrooR

The strengths outlaw any possible flaw, that's how I see it too.