Does anyone on Gamespot in general own/played classic PC games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thenumber48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Thenumber48
Member since 2012 • 160 Posts
Because I barely see PC's talked about on here, or well, computers. Things like the Apple, Commodore, Atari, the other Apple, the Amiga, and all those other companies, Nec is another example. Name some classics games, maybe help me out with some classic PC gaming thread here in Legacy platforms, I mean it's the only thing that seems to be missing from here. Or is Gamespot more of a console site (and IGN is the PC site.) and there is no one here that enjoyed classic PC gaming back in the day?
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

I'm a PC gamer first and a console gamer second

and I agree, PC gaming largely ignored here, even in the PC forums most classic PC gaming threads are ignored

still, I'll leave you with my bigbox PC game collection, there are some recent games on the pic like WOW, but this is an old pic i used for something else :P

scaled.php?server=189&filename=img0151kv

scaled.php?server=846&filename=img0153e.

scaled.php?server=831&filename=img0146cm

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#3 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

We never talk about PC games because those can still be discussion in the PC game section.

But might aswell mention some PC games I like:

Airline Tycoon
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Hidden & Dangerous
Jagged Alliance
Jagged Aliance 2
System Shock 2
Outcast
Midtown Madness
Warlords Battlecry II
Metal Fatigue
The Longest Journey
Dreamfall The Longest Journey (I have both XBOX and PC versions, prefer the XBOX version, but it's still great on PC)
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
Melty Blood Act Cadenza
Ys Origin
Galaxy Angel

EDIT: Forgot I didn't need to just mention old games and could mention slightly more recent ones :P

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rilpas
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]We never talk about PC games because those can still be discussion in the PC game section.

try and start a classic PC game discussion on the PC forums, you'll be lucky if you get two replies
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dudersaper
[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]We never talk about PC games because those can still be discussion in the PC game section.

try and start a classic PC game discussion on the PC forums, you'll be lucky if you get two replies

I don't say otherwise, but I'm just assuming that's one of the reasons most people don't mention PC games here.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]We never talk about PC games because those can still be discussion in the PC game section. Dudersaper

I don't say otherwise, but I'm just assuming that's one of the reasons most people don't mention PC games here.

yeah, it's a shame, I love PC gaming.

I loved my old 386 IBM

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Of course. I'm playing GTA2 right now, which is free to download from Rockstar Games.

I've also played the following on PC recently:

Aliens vs. Predator

DOOM

Wolfenstein 3D

MS Flight Simulator X (2002)

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
I just played through the King's Quest Collection last month off of steam. 5&6 are still gems. I would have prefered the original version of KQ5 because the voice acting is so bad. Especially the owl.
AjarnLenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 AjarnLenny
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

Yeah, my first 8-bit and 16-bit game experiences at home were on the Commodore and Sinclair computers (Intellivision excluded).

Since I had an Amiga I never felt I had the need for a PC. I didn't buy a PC until 1996. But by then, I had missed out on many cool games.

Some favorites C64: Bruce Lee, Beach head 2, Turrican series, Bard's tale, Wasteland, Koronis Rift, Arthur Pendragon series, Exploding fist, Gunship

Some Favorites Amiga: Defender of the crown, Wings, Cannon fodder, Desert Strike, X-out, Walker, Warlords

Some Favorites PC: Starcraft, Warcraft series, Beneath a Steel sky, X-wing & Tie fighter games, King's quest etc.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I still play Hexen and Doom I and II.

I still have a copy of my favorite PC game, but my W7 PCs do not run it properly...RIP Lords of Magic...

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

I own and have played to Sam & Max Hit the Road, real funny game

rem_game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 rem_game
Member since 2009 • 34 Posts

and I agree, PC gaming largely ignored here, even in the PC forums most classic PC gaming threads are ignored

still, I'll leave you with my bigbox PC game collection, there are some recent games on the pic like WOW, but this is an old pic i used for something else :P

rilpas

rilpas
Really nice collection. By the way, what happened to SIN.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rem_game

rilpas

Really nice collection. By the way, what happened to SIN.

are you referring to the last one? Sin episode 1?

as far as i know the game sold poorly and the studio closed

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Of course. Many classic games tend to be best on PC (save for arcade versions) and it has some great games that were never ported over to consoles (such as Outcast, System Shock, BioForge, Magic Carpet 2, Ultima Underworld, ect.)

But I think you should differ between IBM compatible PC and the other computers like Amiga, Atari, Apple, ect. because putting them all in the same basket is almost like saying that Nintendo, Sega, Atari, ect. are all the same (which, of course, is not true).

The IBM PC just destroyed all competition and can now emulate them all (what a bully :P ).

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

well being 32yrs old I grew up playing PC games (along with Atari, nes, and a LOT of arcade games)

some of my favorite classic PC games are

- the Punisher (very hard to play without a street map of where to go)

- Stunts (you create your own 3-d tracks and then race against computer opponents or the clock)

- Mechwarior (the original on dos)

- Monster Truck Madness

- MS Flight Sim

- F16 fighting Falcon

- Conan (on Apple II)

- Oregon Trail (on Macintosh)

- Sim City

- Doom

edit: oh and the original Syndicate was a fun game too

some of theses games you can still get, and some are even available as abandonware or freeware. I highly recommend downloading DOSBOX so you can play these games on a new pc running windows 7. It's still a pain to make the games run (and you might need to learn how to operate dos) but totally worth it.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Absolutely love Sam and Max: Hit the Road, Command and Conqueor series, and Starcraft

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
I've been a PC Gamer since 1982, and the first game I played was Canyon Climber (which has similarities to Donkey Kong) on a Radio Shack TRS-80. Around 1987, we had a Tandy 1000 EX and had games like Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune (both similar to their NES versions) and the original Police Quest (similar to the first Leisure Suit Larry). It wasn't until a year later that I started my 'gamer journey' on the console side with my NES. I don't have a lot of gaming memories before 1982, but I'm sure I played some Pac-Man, Galaga, and Ms. Pac-Man at the local bowling alleys.
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

OG starcraft and Broodwar

Roller Coaster Tycoon

Radio Control Racers

Wolfenstein 3D

Alien vs Predator 2(no expasion/if this counts)

Disciples sacred lands

Konung Legends of the North

CLANS

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dudersaper
Aww man I can't believe I forgot to mention Nox :o Loved that game so damn much
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Yes, I like PC games. Here are some of them. Age of Wonders Commander Keen series Crusader: No Remorse (still need to play No Regret) Descent 1-3 Doom II: Hell on Earth Fallout 1-2 Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers Jagged Alliance 2 Outcast One Unit Whole Blood Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast Ultima Underworld
GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts
I've played many PC games, most of them released before 2000. Some recommendations: all LucasArts adventures up to Grim Fandango Civilization I to III Lemmings Duke Nukem I, II and 3D Shadow Warrior Heroes of Might & Magic I,II,III Might & Magic III to V Lands of Lore Toonstruck Earthworm Jim I and II Turrican II Psycho Pinball Zork: Nemesis Zork: Grand Inquisitor Dark Forces Jedi Knight Descent I to III Syndicate (the old one, not the /§$/%§ 3D shooter) Fantasy General Discworld I,II and Noir Legend of Kyrandia I to III Battle Isle I and II Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness The Incredible Machine Alone in the Dark I to III Rayman I and II Battle Bugs Simon the Sorcerer I and II Broken Sword I to III Star Trek: Judgment Rites Star Trek: Next Generation - A Final Unity James Pond II - Robocod
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#23 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
I've played as far back as Dangerous Dave. Good times :P I heart-ed Chasm: The Rift and the older House of the Dead games as well :D
bigbeebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 bigbeebis
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

I've played all the classic Ultimas. They are great. I started to really like them when developers decided to use paperdolls. I've also played Duke Nukem, Quake, Doom, Prince of Persia (the first one), Fallout, Fallout 2, WC, WC 2 and many more. I suspect that there aren't many individuals born in early 90s or earlier who haven't played classic PC games. For younguns there is really no reason to go back.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]Of course. Many classic games tend to be best on PC (save for arcade versions) and it has some great games that were never ported over to consoles (such as Outcast, System Shock, BioForge, Magic Carpet 2, Ultima Underworld, ect.) But I think you should differ between IBM compatible PC and the other computers like Amiga, Atari, Apple, ect. because putting them all in the same basket is almost like saying that Nintendo, Sega, Atari, ect. are all the same (which, of course, is not true). The IBM PC just destroyed all competition and can now emulate them all (what a bully :P ).

I find that last statement particularly ironic when, at first, the IBM PC's graphics and sound capabilities were downright pathetic. Worse than a Commodore 64, and by the time the typical IBM-compatible could catch up in terms of graphics (still not sound, though), the Amiga shows up. Now that was one ahead-of-its-time computer, along with some Japan-only offerings like the Sharp X68000 and Fujitsu FM Towns. Kind of a shame that modern computers aren't based off those instead. About the only better thing for gaming that the IBM PC brought to the table was, of all things, the joystick interface. With analog axes for directional control instead of digital microswitches being the norm, that helped pave the way for all the vehicular simulators that would set computer gaming apart in the years to come. Then, by 1990, the typical IBM-compatible had VGA and a Sound Blaster as a rule, and things started turning around in their favor...at least 5 years too late, but they were finally where they should have been in the first place. 1980s computer reminiscing aside, you get bonus points for mentioning Magic Carpet 2. Best game to ever come out of Bullfrog Productions, if you ask me. I still wish I had my boxed copy, but it's probably sitting in some closet several states away along with System Shock 2.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rilpas

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]Of course. Many classic games tend to be best on PC (save for arcade versions) and it has some great games that were never ported over to consoles (such as Outcast, System Shock, BioForge, Magic Carpet 2, Ultima Underworld, ect.) But I think you should differ between IBM compatible PC and the other computers like Amiga, Atari, Apple, ect. because putting them all in the same basket is almost like saying that Nintendo, Sega, Atari, ect. are all the same (which, of course, is not true). The IBM PC just destroyed all competition and can now emulate them all (what a bully :P ).NamelessPlayer
I find that last statement particularly ironic when, at first, the IBM PC's graphics and sound capabilities were downright pathetic. Worse than a Commodore 64, and by the time the typical IBM-compatible could catch up in terms of graphics (still not sound, though), the Amiga shows up. Now that was one ahead-of-its-time computer, along with some Japan-only offerings like the Sharp X68000 and Fujitsu FM Towns. Kind of a shame that modern computers aren't based off those instead. About the only better thing for gaming that the IBM PC brought to the table was, of all things, the joystick interface. With analog axes for directional control instead of digital microswitches being the norm, that helped pave the way for all the vehicular simulators that would set computer gaming apart in the years to come. Then, by 1990, the typical IBM-compatible had VGA and a Sound Blaster as a rule, and things started turning around in their favor...at least 5 years too late, but they were finally where they should have been in the first place. 1980s computer reminiscing aside, you get bonus points for mentioning Magic Carpet 2. Best game to ever come out of Bullfrog Productions, if you ask me. I still wish I had my boxed copy, but it's probably sitting in some closet several states away along with System Shock 2.

I still have my boxed copies of Magic Carpet 2 and System Shock 2 :P