Does anyone else find online gaming to be.... not fun at all?

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

phonemug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 phonemug
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

I love SP gaming.

Online I die every 2 seconds because I'm not as good as the people with no lives who sit there playing the same game all day. People online are rude and obnoxious. It's a pretty stressful experience for me and glad to be finished everytime I start a session.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Yea, if online gaming involves communication I generally avoid it. Unless it's with friends. Certain genres really don't need it either, like RTSes but I suck ass at them so don't play much. Recently playing Journey, I find its MP component to be brilliant. Making communcation so basic really enhanced the experience and I hope to see more of it in the future. All things considered though, SP is where it's at.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts
Yeah I definitely enjoy SP games more... The only MP game I play to any great extent is Team Fortress 2.
Chogyam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chogyam
Member since 2003 • 1887 Posts

yep. If i wanted to listen to immature whining babies, who suffer from pussitis, I would go back to work!

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
SP games more, but with a group of friends, online gaming can be tremendously fun. Actually, overall fun factor - I will hand it to online gaming w/ friends. It's so much fun. Single-player for greatest immersion factor, obviously.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I love SP gaming.

Online I die every 2 seconds because I'm not as good as the people with no lives who sit there playing the same game all day. People online are rude and obnoxious. It's a pretty stressful experience for me and glad to be finished everytime I start a session.

phonemug
So much bitterness :). Single player games tend to have a very gentle difficulty curve and lots of tutorials and hand holding. The whole world is oriented towards your happiness. The creators don't want you to get frustrated and they often want you to feel like a bad ass. In competitive online gaming your opponents' and even your allies' highest goal isn't your happiness, but victory. For some people, that is a deep shock. They easily beat a campaign on normal and were hailed as the savior of the universe, but they hop online and suddenly they are no longer the center of the world but merely one guy on a battlefield. If someone is the sort of person who plays videogames for a sense of power or mastery, then yeah, online gaming isn't for you (online, there is almost always someone better) but online is awesome for those who play not to be mollycoddled, but challenged.
phonemug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 phonemug
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

[QUOTE="phonemug"]

I love SP gaming.

CarnageHeart

So much bitterness :). Single player games tend to have a very gentle difficulty curve and lots of tutorials and hand holding. The whole world is oriented towards your happiness. The creators don't want you to get frustrated and they often want you to feel like a bad ass. In competitive online gaming your opponents' and even your allies' highest goal isn't your happiness, but victory. For some people, that is a deep shock. They easily beat a campaign on normal and were hailed as the savior of the universe, but they hop online and suddenly they are no longer the center of the world but merely one guy on a battlefield. If someone is the sort of person who plays videogames for a sense of power or mastery, then yeah, online gaming isn't for you (online, there is almost always someone better) but online is awesome for those who play not to be mollycoddled, but challenged.

You raise a lot of valid points but there are many story based and immersion elements that online gaming could never satiate for me with its playing style. Elements I find more rewarding that being ranked number 1 after a session (which actually has happened a couple times before :cool: ). When I play SP I feel like I'm a starved man up for a three course feast. When I play online it's like I'm eating a bag of potato chips when I'm already full. I don't want to keep eating them but I do anyway even though they make me kind of sick.:lol:

I can see why people who would want to compete against a high level of competition... when I get in those moods I play something like Ninja Gaiden. At least that way I have a chance and will not get mercilessly slaughtered by wave after wave of gamers.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I love SP gaming.

phonemug
:lol: It probably takes a day's worth of practice to get on a somewhat competitive level in a game. Sounds like you don't have any patience. In other words...l2p.
BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

i agree that the challenge is the best thing about it and is the main reason i myself still occasionally play online but my problem is that i find online communities make the whole thing more annoying than fun. even in multiplayer only games i prefer to just fill a map with predictable bots as opposed to having to go through the hassle of finding a server with halfway decent peoples playing. like was said, peoples play and act like they are the center of the world; they whine when they win, they whine when they lose, they don't play as a team, some will think it's funny to play loud music or worse through a mic, they cheat, etc, etc.

there is a lot of potential for crap to come your way if you decide to just jump in a random online match and i think you really need a large group of friends or acquintances to play together to get the most out of the experience.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
I think it is fun, but it all depends on the game. But a lot of the time I do prefer the single player experience. But let's have a look at some examples of some current gen games: Call of Duty series - both campaign and online are fun, but online lasts longer. For that, I slightly prefer the online but I do love the campaign too and will complete them over and over again. Gears of War series - see above. Although, the campaigns are better in Gears I feel because they are more focused on the campaign than CoD is. Not only that but if you don't like the multiplayer (if you're not very good etc.), then you can play with a team of Horde mode which is equally as addicting! WWE '12 (or Wrestling games in general) - I like a bit of both. I play these a lot and it isn't often you will come across fair players online looking for a realistic match, so this is where the single player comes in. I have gotten used to people being a bit cheap online, and it makes it fun in its own way (mostly) because it's a challenge, but I would still rather they play fairly and realistically. Half and half for these games in terms of single and multiplayer. Guitar Hero/Rock Band - I sometimes just prefer to play alone and be able to pick all of my own DLC, but I also love going online (regardless of the fact they haven't got hardly any DLC or any at all a lot of the time) and play with a band). So again, both here. But generally when I buy a new game, I buy it for the single player usually (unless it's both, like CoD). :) I can't think of the last time I ONLY brought a game just for the online. I mean sure, CoD and Battlefield are aimed towards that, but I do also want it for the campaign. Actually, maybe the last game with online only I brought was Breach, an XBLA (and PSN I assume) game that was released January last year. It was kind of like Battlefield 90% meets Rainbow Six: Vegas' cover system. The online died pretty quickly though. I did wish it had a campaign though. Every time I turned it on I thought that. Before that, I think it was Battlefield 1943.
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#11 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

I very rarely play games online. People spewing random crap down the microphone is too much for me.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I don't get into online gaming at all. It's just a gameplay mechanic you execute in various environments - it's the most repetitive thing on earth. And pwning some 13 year old holds absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever. And people online are just...ugh.

I like characters, story, a progression from beginning to middle to end, a lot of variety - all things entirely absent from online.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CarnageHeart

I don't get into online gaming at all. It's just a gameplay mechanic you execute in various environments - it's the most repetitive thing on earth. And pwning some 13 year old holds absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever. And people online are just...ugh.

I like characters, story, a progression from beginning to middle to end, a lot of variety - all things entirely absent from online.

Jackc8
You like Vanquish but you dislike repetition? Fair enough.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Maybe you could try some MMO type games.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I love SP gaming.

phonemug

You are not alone brother, you are not alone.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

As a Xbox Live OG (original gamer) I can tell you first hand has that the community slowly devolved into something it was't intended to be. The explosive popularity of games like Halo and Call of Duty has attracted some bad apples. The party system hasn't helped matters any because it allows gamers to live in a bubble instead of being a benefitial community member, they simply surround themselves with stuff they want to hear. They aren't listening to teammates or getting to know other gamers that play the same game and that's orginally what Live was about. I used to meet awesome people back in the day, now no one even talks during a game of NBA 2K12.

alexLmx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 alexLmx6
Member since 2008 • 736 Posts

I don't get online gaming at all. I play games to be alone after having to deal with people's BS all day, I don't see why anyone would want it.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

CarnageHeart

You like Vanquish but you dislike repetition? Fair enough.

Fair point :) I don't play many shooters but this one seems to provide the fun and excitement that I find lacking in most of them.

ZzNashoO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZzNashoO
Member since 2012 • 163 Posts
[QUOTE="phonemug"]

I love SP gaming.

The trick is to not play games like CoD, Halo, or GoW. Completely watered down with immature kids. Games like Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, and Fighting Games everyone is pretty cool and reasonable from my experience.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I don't find most of them fun anymore, but there are a few that I absolutely loved and would still play today if they were still the same.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I only hate online when whiny people start moaning about it not being fun.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I like both.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#24 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I used to enjoy competitive multiplayer when I had more time on my hands and when my budget was more limited, giving me ample opportunity to play nothing but a single game (or handful of games) all the time. I was huge into Counterstrike when it first came out, for example, and I was good at it. Now, not so much. If I play online stuff now it'll be co-op, or multiplayer with friends who don't take it too seriously. Multiplayer with randoms is about as unappealing as a kick in the nuts. I enjoy playing a wide variety of games and having a family I don't have a ton of time to play, so ultimately I kind of suck at most games. Playing against a hoarde of 13 year olds who sit in front of the TV as soon as they get home from school until bedtime is not appealing in the least.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Its a shame that's the stima attached to online gaming now...

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Online gaming is shallow, unbalanced and repetitive. Then again, sometimes I'm in the mood for shallow.
Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

I'm kinda getting tired of online, I stay in a party chat 90% of the time so I have no problems there, it's just getting to easy. I've been looking for a good long single player game to play but nothing out right now interested me or I've already played it.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I enjoy co-op a lot. Competitive gaming, not nearly as much.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts
I prefer SP more because I feel it's an enjoyable experience rather than annoying unlike online gaming. There are only 2 PS3 games with online multiplayer that is worth playing is Resistance: Fall of Man and the Uncharted series. They are quality and very enjoyable. It's very rare for a game out there to have online multiplayer that good.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

the only online games ive actually enjoyed were Counter-Strike and Ultima Online.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

just cause someone is better than you at a game doesnt mean they have no lives it means you suck

anywho i enjoy mp with friends in a party chat i hate most people online

i do sp every now and again i guess

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

If I'm going to play online with anything in gaming its going to be an MMORPG. But sometimes I'll play a game of BF or CoD, very rarely though.

I do think its fun, only MMOs though.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

What bothers me are the "we reward you the more you play" games. First, it unbalances the game. Not everybody has incredible amounts of time to invest in a game. Second, it tends to make the game more about levelling instead of winning.

Rick_Sure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rick_Sure
Member since 2011 • 371 Posts

I can't stand online gaming, If I am not related to the 20 kids online I have no interest in spending time with them and the constant whining. Even worse is games that force you to play online to complete quests.....like Fable 3.....Why they do this I have no idea.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

What bothers me are the "we reward you the more you play" games. First, it unbalances the game. Not everybody has incredible amounts of time to invest in a game. Second, it tends to make the game more about levelling instead of winning.

Heirren

that kinda contradicts it self in some games in order to get leveling good you need to win to get a good bonus.

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

I find online gaming to be fun now and then but I prefer single player games, for shooting games I would rather play offline bots than compete against people who spend all day everyday online and I definitely prefer MMO's over any other type of online game. But most of my games I've bought I end up not enjoying the multiplayer or they have no online function at all which suits me fine.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

My first online experience was on the PS3 which was White Knight Chronicles. Awesome community, friendly and just really down to earth people. I then started other online games which basically turned me off.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Now, not so much. If I play online stuff now it'll be co-op, or multiplayer with friends who don't take it too seriously. Multiplayer with randoms is about as unappealing as a kick in the nuts.DJ_Lae

Exactly this. I still like going against randoms, even the jerks, but only if I have friends on my team so we all share the experience, bad or good.

But to TC, come on, it's easy to say others have no lives to make up for your own failings, when it's you who lacks the competitive edge. There are plenty of people who can pick up and play and be gods among men while the rest of us have to suffer a bit before we get anywhere. I admit I get my ass kicked all over the place, but there is still fun times to be had, and I respect the people who are legitimately better at the game than I am.

Unless they act like giant dickhoIes.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CarnageHeart

Heirren
I agree. Veterans who know the maps, the weapons and all the tricks, already have a big advantage over less experienced players. Why widen the gap? Perhaps some people enjoy just pounding the crap out of opponents in one sided fights, but for me the fun in multiplayer is the challenge. I also am not fond of killstreaks. Its like giving a boxer winning a match spiked gloves ('Let's make it less interesting!). If a guy has killed 15 people in a row, its his opponents that need the nuke, not the guy.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CarnageHeart
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]I used to enjoy competitive multiplayer when I had more time on my hands and when my budget was more limited, giving me ample opportunity to play nothing but a single game (or handful of games) all the time. I was huge into Counterstrike when it first came out, for example, and I was good at it. Now, not so much. If I play online stuff now it'll be co-op, or multiplayer with friends who don't take it too seriously. Multiplayer with randoms is about as unappealing as a kick in the nuts. I enjoy playing a wide variety of games and having a family I don't have a ton of time to play, so ultimately I kind of suck at most games. Playing against a hoarde of 13 year olds who sit in front of the TV as soon as they get home from school until bedtime is not appealing in the least.

I think playing against randoms is awesome. Sometimes they suck, but most are competent and some of them are magic. Going against better players is the key to getting better. Also, serving a team doesn't mean being the best player or even one of the better players, it means appreciating what is going on in the battefield and how you can make a difference given your capabilities. Teams need roleplayers as well as superstars.
Kvothe_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kvothe_Stark
Member since 2010 • 360 Posts

The last competitive multiplayer game I heavily played was Team Fortress 2 nearly a year ago. For some reason, I just lost my taste for competitive gaming, and Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 was what did it for me. Countless times I'd get hate mail like "SPAM PLASMA BEAM MOAR" or some crap, it just gets old being bashed for every single match you win, even if it's completely letigimate. I don't get personally offended by it, but there's just no sense of community or sportsmanship in competetive multiplayer games anymore, at least not in my experience. I find I greatly prefer single player games these days, with an exception for Journey.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I like it, but I find single player to be a lot more fun and interesting. MP is just a time killer.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
sucks to be you (literally)
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

must be playing mw2, blops, or mw3...cant think of too many other games online that you would die every two seconds...but i play online games a lot and it definitely takes some patience to find the games out there that are actually worth the time

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Competitive online, yes. Most of the fun in multiplayer of that kind comes from being with friends, you lose the face to face interaction with online.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I enjoy it immensely, but never communicate with strangers. I only use my headset sparingly and only with friends here.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Love online gaming. Swearing at 13 year olds makes me feel like a big man. Getting death threats from children while playing SF4 was one of the most hilarious things all gen for me. Not all online has to be competitive either. There are horde modes and coop story modes in a lot of games for instance.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I love co-op modes with friends. Unfortunately, I rarely play deathmatches with them.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#50 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

It depends on the game, but yeah, generally I like SP a lot more because I get to do things at my own pace. Especially online shooting doesn't interest me at all. It tends to reduce the game to a test of reaction speed and quick decision-making, while usually an SP experience embodies so much more. I know I'm generalising, but it's just hard to get a slow-paced, stealth-like experience from a multiplayer shooter, except if it's online terrorist hunt in Rainbow Six or something.