BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 BattleStreak
Member since 2016 • 1763 Posts

So, with the craze of Pokemon Go, I still don't get it. I mean, I understand what you do and all, it's just that it seems so... boring. I get it. It's free. But why all the hype, excitement, and craze surrounding it? How do people enjoy this? I understand that people have different tastes and opinions and all, but, seriously? It's only one level above Angry Birds, Flappy Bird, or Fruit Ninja, in my opinion. What are your thoughts on the "game"?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@battlestreak: Its just fun walking around and going places. Its like a new adventure every time. Never know what you might catch or who you might meet.

The App is meant to be relaxing. With jogging, walking dog, or shopping etc, you dont want no intense complex App, you just want something simple, yet deep.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

I've played a few Pokemon games over the years and found them to be quite enjoyable. I liked the whole aspect of trying to catch them and train them, it's kind of like the same as a "loot based" game. That's the same kind of deal as Pokemon Go only this time you can do all this out in the real world which makes it like treasure hunting which I think is extremely cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
Member since 2015 • 2238 Posts

@battlestreak:

I don't get what people see in it.

You have to be physically moving in order to find anything. Even then you only really find crap. There is no battle system, (which is the entire point of the fucking franchise) and means you can't level up pokemon unless you liquidise the ones you catch and force feed them to the ones you want to keep (or whatever that Prof. is doing with them).

You can't buy anything unless you physically walk to an imaginary shop and spend imaginary money to get imaginary items. I don't even like shopping for REAL items.

**** this game. It is stupid. They should have made an ACTUAL game closer to the originals with the option to go out and find pokemon on the go for a bonus if people want to be stabbed to death in a parking lot.

I don't mind grinding and battling Pokemon, that would be fine. Searching for Pokemon in my local area would be fun in its own right if they let me control my character on the map but I don't want to have to physically walk to do it. That's not fun, it is a chore.

Handicap us if we don't want to roam around the streets like fucking morons but at least allow us to play the game like a game and be able to make progress without all the gimmicky crap.

It isn't really a game and it definitely isn't a Pokemon game.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It's free, right?

Amanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Amanda
Member since 2016 • 18 Posts

I'm not leaving my house when it's 98 degrees out just to go chase some Pokemons.I've also heard there's a security issue for iPhone users.I think it's free to play but you can buy things to help you.

It's the newest craze everywhere though.I live in a small town and they're having a lure event tomorrow night.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

It's summer, it's california. I work 11+ hours a day, I'm on my feet for 10 of them. I go to the gym after work for about an hour. My job is very physical. I play video games to sit on my ass and veg out, not to walk around in the hot summer (and, if I do go out, it's to the beach or lake or river).

But I haven't tried it out so I don't know, but I probably wouldn't like it.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iandizion713

@mrbojangles25: The Gym is a perfect place to catch Pokemon. Beach, Lake, and River are perfect too, Pokemon GO is very relaxing game.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I don't get the hype neither, so you open that game from time to time when you're bored, I don't see myself opening this game to actually play it - plus there's not much to play - some reviewers concider it's barely a game.

Yet I see some crazy people on Twitch streaming going at the beach playing Pokemon GO and streaming to Twitch, If I would be at the beach it would be to relax, swim, drink beer and eat watermelon - not streaming I play Pokemon GO

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iandizion713

@PredatorRules: Its actually not a game, its an App. When you get to your location, you turn it on and leave it in your pocket. As yu walk and enjoy yourself, you might get a vibrate, pull out your phone, catch Pokemon, then put phone back in pocket. No one will even know your playing.

Yeah, Twitch people do crazy stuff to make a dollar. Pokemon GO is big money for them, but the competition if fierce, so they have to hustle.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

@dexda: Don't understand it either but I have yet to 'play' it. Didn't know there wasnt any battle system for it but whatever people are into I guess. Hopefully it wont lead to a load of similar rip-off titles that dominate the market for the next few years followed by Nintendo making this a new thing which they then milk to death... I hope to be wrong here.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#12 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

It's best just to not think about if you don't care about it... I'm finding the constant news stories about it annoying and yeah, I don't understand the fascination either. But I never will since I don't intend to download it. My phone is probably too crappy anyway.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

don't give a **** about pokemon

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

I would get pokemon go if you did not have to spend real money.

TheSeptopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheSeptopus
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts

@dexda: The main series has always been primarily about exploration and discovery, inspired by Satoshi Tajiri's childhood. This game encapsulates and brings to life those original concepts. It's funny to watch forum goers try to rationalize Pokemon GO by arguing that it's not a game because they want to overlook the physicality of an AR game and discount exploration and discovery, and the ancillary social interactions that result from those mechanics, as the primary gameplay mechanics that drive the game. You find this same dissonance when a game doesn't fit into the traditional mould of interactivity and systems, e.g. "Walking Simulators" are not games, No Man's Sky isn't a game there's no objective, etc., when in reality those and this are very much games. I'm sorry you don't want to move, but the physicality of Pokemon GO doesn't make it a lesser game; in fact, I think this physicality is what makes it a game that should be considered for game of the year. There are certainly server issues and bugs that need to be ironed out, some features could be expanded on, but the level of social awareness and joy this is bringing to people this summer is unrivaled in video games. I think people should drop this stigma that mobile games should be scoffed.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iandizion713

@TJDMHEM: You dont have to spend money. You can also make in game money by keeping control of a Gym for a period of time.

Avatar image for deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
Member since 2015 • 2238 Posts

@TheSeptopus: No I'm saying that exploration and discovery by having to physically walk around is LAME.

The original pokemon was never designed to be EXPLORATION OUTSIDE. It was designed to be exploration WITHIN THE GAME. What they have done is take a really great game design and franchise and ruined it by taking it outside.

It isn't a game any more because unless I'm pounding the streets I can't even make progress. I walk around enough at work, any game that requires me to carry on walking after an 8 hour shift isn't even a game to me.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

It's summer, it's california. I work 11+ hours a day, I'm on my feet for 10 of them. I go to the gym after work for about an hour. My job is very physical. I play video games to sit on my ass and veg out, not to walk around in the hot summer (and, if I do go out, it's to the beach or lake or river).

i'm english. it's summer. it's raining, grey, miserable and windy most of the time. god what i'd do to live in california.

on topic i've never played a pokemon game before but as a programmer i think it's a very cool and clever use of mobile technology. fair play to them

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Seems utterly boring and pointless to me, but each to their own I guess.

But if I had a young son or daughter to go with then maybe - otherwise I'd be a bit embarrassed I think. :)

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

I don't even know what it is. I hear the references on shows occasionally and news stories about people using it to lead other people into robberies... most of it just goes over my head. But then I'm really good at maintaining a state of general obliviousness.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Never cared for Pokemon in the first place.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

Don't care for it and refuse to install it.

TrumpetsGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TrumpetsGo
Member since 2016 • 21 Posts

@battlestreak: hahaha I love pokemon go :D.. a lot of youtubers playing it and i watch it every time when they update there account on youtube.. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc06aedd290c
deactivated-5cc06aedd290c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5cc06aedd290c
Member since 2016 • 45 Posts

I'm very happy that the game is making the brainless masses give their money to Nintendo so that they can then turn around and make REAL games, ya know like the kind I have been playing on my tv or on a handheld for 30+ years or so. As far as actually playing Pokemon GO! lol, I couldn't care less.. it's about as appealing as all the other free cell phone games. Pointless, simple, boring, not worth my time. It's practically made for people who don't play video games.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Playing a game to relax is just a strange concept to me. Why not just watch TV/Netflix/Youtube/Twitch/ect.? Relaxing games are boring imho, but hey if that's your thing more power to you.

I also think the "zombie apocalypse" people are into this, you know the people that jump on whatever the latest fad is.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Never cared for Pokemon in the first place.

Ditto. It's a brand that I find baffingly popular.

OT: I can definitely see why it's successful, but it has zero appeal to me. It was only a matter of time that someone tapped into prevalence of smartphone marrying that w/ a social game/AR aspect w/ large success.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

Never played a pokemon game in my life, and watched a total of maybe 1.5 episode at the most... Also am 35 years old and play plenty of normal games. However somehow i am also a lvl 6 pokemon trainer and greatly enjoying myself so fare:) me and the gf(she is a lvl 5 noob) enjoy taking evening strolls while catching a few pokemons, so yeah huge fans here:)

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Never cared about it.

khatibi22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30 khatibi22
Member since 2005 • 7330 Posts

I never " got" Pokemon.

TrumpetsGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TrumpetsGo
Member since 2016 • 21 Posts

@khatibi22: Epic.. XD... is the Pokemon to hard to catch?..

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#32 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I have not played it, but it also doesn't interest me. But of course there will be people who do not like it.

Avatar image for blazingpanzeriv
BlazingpanzerIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BlazingpanzerIV
Member since 2016 • 53 Posts

Well, my smart phone isn't activated anymore, (I use it more like an Ipod touch than anything else these days), and I live out in the country with little to no roads, so I'm not too sure how the game would work. Plus, my phone is a bit over 3 years old, granted it was about $200 at the time.

Moving on from that, the idea just doesn't appeal to me. Granted, I enjoy walking while listening to music for long periods of time, sometimes even up to two hours at a time. But I don't need to leave my yard to do this. With pok'emon go, probably not so much.