Does age and current life situations change what you look for in games?

Nimmi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Nimmi9
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

Like a big portion of the current gamer demographics, I'm in my 30s now when I began gaming seriously in the mid 90s with Doom 2, Quake, Warcraft, C&C, Baldur's Gate, Heroes of Might&Magic, etc etc. Played competitively, led clans in competitive FPS gaming, skipped classes, went days with little sleep, feel like we gamers are the revolutionaries of an increasingly online-centric world, all those fun nonsense etc etc

While FPS was my bread and butter and I'm still excited to see upcoming news about FPS games, RPG and the like, nowadays i'm only spending time and buying games that I feel can actually teach me something or those that actually resemble jobs.

My current haul from the latest steam fest, while i was hovering to buy the entire Shadow Warrior franchise, i ended up buying Car Mechanic Simulator and Farm Simulator 2019. I nearly bought the Total Edition of Total Warhammer II(or whatever it is called) but instead I got Thrones of Britannia coz I figured, hey maybe I learn something of history and feel like I did something worthwhile than just playing games.

Trust me, I'm excited to get the new Doom Eternal, i mean that game began my gaming history but all I can say is, my gears 5 remains 2 hours played ever since released but I've dozens of hours in Cooking Simulator and Fishing SImulator?

I wonder if its just that I've a wife now and an almost 2 year old daughter, is it really because of "maturity" (or something lame like that), or maybe just fatigue from visceral action games/meaningless loot-fest RPG or perhaps the guilt of still spending precious free time in front of my computer so subconsciously I played games that LOOK like work with a lot of numbers and stat menus when the wife was having a peek? LOL

I've to admit that I'm looking forward to sharing things with my child one day, so i'm trying to gain as much knowledge and skills as I could, sure I could read about them but why read when you can have fun too right? Games like Kerbal Space Program and Space Engine, titles that never interested me years ago suddenly became so enthralling ever since my child is born.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 xantufrog  Moderator  Online
Member since 2013 • 11939 Posts

As I get older and more busy with my job and family, I have lost patience for 100+ hour monster games. It's not that I stopped liking them in principle - in fact, I'm an RPG nut. But it takes me so long to finish such a game now that it's like a year+ commitment and the time between "rewards" (big moments, new areas, etc) takes too long in human days.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8808 Posts

Always thought would get into Dating Simulators when I got a full-time job. But nope, don't really care for them. Was commonly expressed to me by elders that the gameplay side of things becomes less enjoyable, and now I think that was more a generational issue. Seeing as I love core gameplay as much now as when I was a school kid running to the arcade.

Overall my taste hasn't really changed. As such with @xantufrog, don't invest much into long RPGs. it's a rare dip I try once so often, but they're too taxing on time.

Always prefer games that skip the glamour and get to the gameplay. Short bursts of satisfying gameplay will top an hour cutscene/ dialogue with ten minutes of actual play.

Some genres I play less (Fighters) however that's more due to how microtransactions and dumbed-down mechanics run the entire market.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 24937 Posts

Shorter games are better when you get older, because you have less time in the day to play games.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 pook99
Member since 2014 • 901 Posts

I'll echo the shorter games sentiment, the max I am willing to spend on a game is about 20 hours ish.

Also, because of time I find myself playing lots of indie games and retro games, I like to skip all the bs and just get right into gameplay. There are exceptions but I definitely used to like narrative, long, story games a lot more than I do now.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2748 Posts

I used to play super Mario bros when I was a kid but now I play super smash bros and splatoon.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 3030 Posts

Yes. In a way. Unless you’re a retro gamer, games change styles overtime, and we adapt to those newly released games.

But as we age, we adapt.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3567 Posts

I can't play Nintendo games anymore since the N64 days once GTA3 came out I prefer violent games. I have no interest in going back to Mario or any kid friendly games. I just can't connect with it for me life is a stressful mess and games like GTAV help let out my aggression. Nintendo was amazing as a kid and young teenager back in the day but for me those times I was innocent and saw the world a different way there's no coming back to that mindset.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#9  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8808 Posts

@warmblur: That's weird but different people go through maturity differently I suppose.

Very fond of horror myself and play some of the most gruesome games on the market, name a disturbing game and I've likely played it. Resident Evil 2 Remake is easily my GotY, Platinum'd the game in a week, and took my time looking at all the gory details. Even went back to enjoy it all over again recently.

And even then can play Tearaway, Super Mario, Little Big Planet, and Splatoon. Mechanically I enjoy them for the same reasons but cosmetically view it from the tone it's trying to achieve.

Then again I grew up playing Kirby, CastleVania, Mario, and D00M side-by-side, so was always conflicting(^v^)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 29044 Posts

It hasn’t really changed what I look for in games but it certainly has changed some of my gaming habits. I still very much enjoy a long RPG but playing through them can take me a lot longer as sometimes I am only able to play them in shorter sessions.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5242 Posts

I don't believe so, no.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 79 Posts

For me it was more of a

thing ofdcircumstances that had a put the hobby on and off hiatus for 3 1/2 years rather than it being my 1st job around 2009-2012

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

No kids and i have 3 days off a week, so if anything im playing long games more often now. Last 4 games i played were rpgs.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#14 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36135 Posts

I have become more critical about games in general. The real kicker for me is the lack of consistency specifically when it comes to the gamer's experience. We still have games with unskippable cutscenes, long loading times, clumsy user interfaces, uninspired game design and filler. This is made worse with the big for the sake of being big. I can't say that I every found these super long games to be a meaningful experience. I still play a few games that are distasteful long and non of these games that sport long single player campaign and sidequest are actually good at maintaining interest. Its just a lot of busy work. I find myself enjoying Indie games mainly because they tend to be more gameplay focused.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#15 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2181 Posts

Yeah, I think so. Generally for me personally, I can’t think of a time where Nintendo has let me down though. (Maybe with there being no virtual console on the Switch, but that’s about it.)

I’ve hardly touched my PS4. I played quite a few games on my PS3 when I owned it though. I’m just kind of not interested in most newly released games. Graphics really have never mattered to me when playing a game. Realism is something I don’t necessarily look for either.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 36532 Posts

Sure. Playing FPS online competitively is now non-existent and caring about cutting-edge isn't really a thing anymore.

jessicarobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jessicarobert
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

I am also FPS game fan and I love to play Overwatch from the first day.