Do you trust any game site for reviews anymore?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I for one don't. I used to maybe believe GT's reviews for some things or IGN's for another but they all seem to be all over the place these days. GT saying they wouldn't use the day 1 patch to review BF3, IGN failing to finish a game before reviewing it and practically dry humping U3. Im not bashing because of the games themselves but their methodologies for the reviews baffles me nowadays.

I know most of you never listened to them anyway but they always had an element of truth in them, but these days with all the new games that came out they seem a bit worse than normal

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
I sure have seen this topic a lot in the last 5 years.:P Yeah, if I know a reviewer has integrity, I trust what they write. I know of a reviewer who doesn't write until he finishes the game, to include multiplayer if it has it.
MorningJuturna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MorningJuturna
Member since 2011 • 33 Posts
I still read reviews. That being said, I also don't really let them deter me away from a game, I like to make my own opinion based on what I personally play/enjoy. I also like reading how the community enjoys a game as well. Not necessarily reviews but for example an official thread, or the message board, for some straight to the source opinions, if you will.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I don't pay any attention to them. It's just the opinion of some total stranger - I might agree with a certain person on a couple of games, and disagree with them totally on several others.

Many seem to base their scores more on the pre-release hype than on the actual quality of the game. Problems that would result in a huge deduction for a normal game get overlooked entirely when it's a hotly anticipated AAA title, etc. It always reminds me of Roger Ebert and his review of Star Wars The Phantom Menace - the acting was bad, the story was bad, but it's Star Wars, so thumbs up!

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#5 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
I like Game trailers reviews that's the only ones I like to watch
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
I still trust Gamespot reviews even though it seems that they have somewhat under-rated a few top-tier titles this year (based on user and other outlets scores) but it's better to under-rate than over-rate I suppose... Eurogamer's reviews and scores seem pretty reliable as well...
Adversary16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Adversary16
Member since 2007 • 1705 Posts
In general, you can judge, rather accurately, the overall quality of the game from gameplay videos. So, I watch those first.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59b71619573a1

I like Game trailers reviews that's the only ones I like to watchdoubalfa

I like the guys voice that's about all :P

TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

When it comes to indie games, I tend to trust most reviewers. I mean, they're only made by little studios who wouldn't have enough money to bribe reviewers.

When it comes to the triple A stuff, I only trust the user reviews. After what happened with Gamespot's Kane and Lynch review, its become quite obvious that reviewers are being bribed by the publishers.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts

I rarely buy games based off of reviews. If I do go to a site to look for reviews Gamespot is the first one I look at.

Patriks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Patriks7
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts

I usually skim through multiple reviews before I buy a game, to get a general idea what I'm getting. And if this review brings up something of concern, I either ask my friends about it or some forum (like this one :P).

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I trust Greg Miller and Collin from IGN. I also trust Classic Game Room, esp Mark. Nobody reviews a game like he does, no scores, no crap, just talks about the game and makes some incredibly great sarcastic jokes. But other than those 3... nope, not really. Oh and I trust AngryJoe for the most part.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

I'm a fan of Gamespot. Eurogamer, EDGE, and Game Informer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59b71619573a1

I trust Greg Miller and Collin from IGN. I also trust ****c Game Room, esp Mark. Nobody reviews a game like he does, no scores, no crap, just talks about the game and makes some incredibly great sarcastic jokes. But other than those 3... nope, not really. Oh and I trust AngryJoe for the most part.

contracts420

My god are you serious?

He is my most hated games journalist and its a disgrace that he is even allowed have his opinions stated in ratings

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Destructoid. They aren't ashamed to give their opinion whether it is of praise or critique, and have a sense of humor while they do it.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

MMOhut for MMO's I sometimes feel they could be my next step from world of warcraft.

IGN sucks, Gamespot is meh, Rock Paper Shotgun is cool, Eurogamer is meh, Pcgamer is cool..

But really there are so many games that got awful reviews and I like them.. like Legendary.

hideinlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hideinlight
Member since 2011 • 67 Posts
I don't, not after the The Haunted Hells-reach review, definitely not from Gamespot. That game is basically showing the true colors of reviewers of the reviews sites, because not only of the lack of "hold hands tutorial", but also because there wasn't any real press coverage of the game. To makes things more interesting the game was pretty difficult at release (easier now, although that was never a problem for me). So in order to really get what the game was about those reviewers would of had to spend some time with it and actually REVIEW it. Gamespot, IGN and Gamespy gave that game an extremely low score. They also both had something in common, lots of factual mistakes and very little info about the game. Mostly go like this: Game hard, I suck, Lets makes up some generic cons and **** and call it a day. But if you take a review like this: http://www.gamefront.com/the-haunted-hells-reach-review/ and look at the amount of information given, how did the above reviewers not pick any of those up? Basically you get two main types of reviewers. 1. Hype, Casual, Sensationalism, Heavily opinion based. 2. Analytical, technical, bit boring but thorough, fact based, short opinion.
contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 contracts420

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

I trust Greg Miller and Collin from IGN. I also trust ****c Game Room, esp Mark. Nobody reviews a game like he does, no scores, no crap, just talks about the game and makes some incredibly great sarcastic jokes. But other than those 3... nope, not really. Oh and I trust AngryJoe for the most part.

seanmcloughlin

My god are you serious?

He is my most hated games journalist and its a disgrace that he is even allowed have his opinions stated in ratings

I find nothing wrong with him. He gave Uncharted 3 a 10 out of 10. Not a big deal. I'd give the game a 9.5

So I don't see the issue. Other than that I seem to agree with most of the scores he gives.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

contracts420

My god are you serious?

I find nothing wrong with him. He gave Uncharted 3 a 10 out of 10. Not a big deal. I'd give the game a 9.5

So I don't see the issue. Other than that I seem to agree with most of the scores he gives.

apart from the fact that his review is just full of hyperbole and adjectives and tells you nothing about the game itself. its just a review telling us how much he loves U3 when it has huge flaws and problems with consistency and its story. he also has problems with the batman games and doesn't like them all that much. he's a huge fanboy and is very biased in a lot of his decisions and he doesn't have an air of professionalism about himself. his response video to the arkham city review was a cheap and lame stab at people who disliked the review.

PunkAntiHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PunkAntiHero
Member since 2011 • 628 Posts
I tend to read/watch the ones here and for the most part I trust them.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Hmmm that's strange they wouldn't review Battlefield counting the day one patch, its day one so pretty much everyone is gonna have it. Its like they reviewed a defunct version of the game with bugs and problems that were likely fixed. Wtf.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
I only trust Kevin Van Ord and Tom Mcshea and Carolyn from gamespot. And Eorugamer. but they don't decide my purchases of course i just agree with most of their reviewes after playing the games that they reviewed.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

IGN has laughable grammar.

eagle63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 eagle63
Member since 2004 • 537 Posts
I don't use this site for game reviews because it chooses not to review games for my system.(ps3) take skyrim for instance.pc got a review,Xbox 360 got a review,ps3? No review.i can't take reviews seriously on this site when they are obviously biased against the ps3 for whatever reason.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I don't use this site for game reviews because it chooses not to review games for my system.(ps3) take skyrim for instance.pc got a review,Xbox 360 got a review,ps3? No review.i can't take reviews seriously on this site when they are obviously biased on the ps3 for whatever reason.eagle63
I was a late psp adopter, and upon looking for good games on this site it always bothered me that they wouldn't review everything--even bigger games sometimes.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
not in this generation in past ones yes but lately it seems that gaming editors and ether becoming trolls or fanboys and there is no netural ground for them like there use to be the only reason i still go to sites like ign and gamespot is more out oif habbit for going there for so long over caring what people say about videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59b71619573a1

not in this generation in past ones yes but lately it seems that gaming editors and ether becoming trolls or fanboys and there is no netural ground for them like there use to be the only reason i still go to sites like ign and gamespot is more out oif habbit for going there for so long over caring what people say about videogameselbert_b_23

Almost a perfect answer in my eyes. They do seem to be either paid off, Trolls or fanboys these days. Nothing seems to be legit that they talk about especially with the big budget hyped games. But I also do just go to them and watch reviews etc. out of habit rather than their views on games

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

No.

I rely more on the opinions of trusted forum dwellers, demos, and just plain gut instinct. I've found it has led me astray far less than when I read reviews by those billed as "professionals." Reviews are far too final for my taste anymore. If I am engaged in a discussion with someone on a forum, I can question their instincts and see if they hold water -- call them to the mat on something (or things) I find suspect. If said forum dweller can capably back up his or her position(s) on a game, they earn my future respect and I will afford them my ear on future impressions/thoughts on games. If they can't, they are discarded and replaced with a more reputable source. It's this lack of interaction that makes written 'reviews' obsolete in my opinion, because of the inherent one-size-fits-all nature applied to them. Let me ask questions and decide if the opinions (and they ARE opinions) formed by the reviewer hold up under scrutiny, and whether the sections of the review billed as objective are actually such, and then I might reconsider listening to reviews again.

Until then, my method is better in every way.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Ico was the last game I bought based on a review. I've never since made a purchase based on someone else's opinion. I always know what I want, and what I like.

I read/watch the reviews just to see what their opinion of the game was. It makes for an entertaining read, just like an Ebert review.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#30 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Any game I purchase has always been well reseached by myself.. '' If I can get hold of a demo, then that's just great"..

Even though I don't respect video reviews from certain sites, ''mentioning no names" I always watch as many reviews as possible ''especially you tube''just to see what they are actually saying about my next purchase..

I also read player reviews also.. But at the end of the day, it's my cash, so if I'm really impressed with something, other opinions don't really matter to be honest.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Hmmm that's strange they wouldn't review Battlefield counting the day one patch, its day one so pretty much everyone is gonna have it. Its like they reviewed a defunct version of the game with bugs and problems that were likely fixed. Wtf.GodModeEnabled
They review what the developers deliver them. If that doesn't include the patch, then it doesn't get put in the review. They aren't reviewing retail versions of the game.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#33 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

The reviews entertain me. They went from 'gaming journalism' to another form of entertainment.
It's like watching a football game.
Oh he totally missed it again. What he did there is so outrageous it makes me so angry! Haha this guy doesn't even know his job! Oh my what a game.

Right now I wouldn't suggest reading reviews to get an idea of the quality of a game, to anyone. Well maybe grandma. Maybe.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#34 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Hmmm that's strange they wouldn't review Battlefield counting the day one patch, its day one so pretty much everyone is gonna have it. Its like they reviewed a defunct version of the game with bugs and problems that were likely fixed. Wtf.foxhound_fox
They review what the developers deliver them. If that doesn't include the patch, then it doesn't get put in the review. They aren't reviewing retail versions of the game.

That makes them useless. It is completely authoritarian. Following procedure instead of following common sense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Hmmm that's strange they wouldn't review Battlefield counting the day one patch, its day one so pretty much everyone is gonna have it. Its like they reviewed a defunct version of the game with bugs and problems that were likely fixed. Wtf.KungfuKitten

That makes them useless. It is completely authoritarian. Following procedure instead of following common sense.

Exactly. Its not like there are set rules that if broken render the reviews useless. If devs issue a patch that fixes things on DAY 1, the way that all gamers will be playing it anyway. Then it renders the review useless because gamers will be playing a version different to what they reviewed

zombieman666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#36 zombieman666
Member since 2006 • 3514 Posts
I just read them to get some one else opinion on the game
contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 contracts420

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

My god are you serious?

seanmcloughlin

apart from the fact that his review is just full of hyperbole and adjectives and tells you nothing about the game itself. its just a review telling us how much he loves U3 when it has huge flaws and problems with consistency and its story. he also has problems with the batman games and doesn't like them all that much. he's a huge fanboy and is very biased in a lot of his decisions and he doesn't have an air of professionalism about himself. his response video to the arkham city review was a cheap and lame stab at people who disliked the review.

He doesn't like the Batman games? he gave it a 9.5. He said it took awhile for it to sink in but said it was an amazing game. Maybe you're just mad he didn't give it a 10. But giving a 10 to Uncharted 3 is fine in my opinion. The games shooting mechanics seem off but they are far from broken. The game has some bugs and glitches. But EVERY game has those.

Uncharted 2 Among Thieves has problems in its plot as well. So NO IDEA why you make a major deal out of it in Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception. They just didn't give some sort of random flashback explanation to everything. Which is fine.

***SPOILERS***

In Uncharted 2 Among Thieves why did they take Schauffer? all they needed was the Dagger. He had it, but why take him along and just kill him? why not just take the dagger and leave him behind.

How did Schauffer and his expedition get to that Temple in the mountains? how did they know it was their without the Dagger?

Uncharted 2 has things that are never explained as well. We could complain about Talbot and Marlo not getting much screen time, but Schauffer doesn't either, Jeff the cameraman you don't even care about, Chloe and Drake clearly have a history but it's not explored much like Sully and Marlo.I could go on and on.

gameboy343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gameboy343
Member since 2005 • 1024 Posts

i'll look at them. but i'll ignore them if i really want the game enough.

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

If I know I want a game, I won't look at reviews unless they're glaringly universally bad, then I will consider them. If I'm unsure I will simply look at meta scores and then see which sites scored them what, without reading further.

After I have purchased a game and given it enough playtime to form my own opinion, THEN I will read some reviews to compare and see another opinion on it. The actual reviews themselves do not affect my opinion or my purchase. It's just someone sharing their experience that is usually written in a better way than "lulz dis game is overated" or "OMGZ BEST GAME EVAAARRRR!!!"

Zach_HD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zach_HD
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Used to trust them. Now I'd take an honest amateur Review on Youtube over most Game Review sites and Magazines.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I trust reviews insofar as they talk about technicals such as graphics, audio, smoothness, install, loading speed, etc.

But each person has their own taste and scoring 90+ doesn't guarantee that you will like it.

For example Gears series is widely acclaimed and very well done, but "space marines" is just not my cup of tea, I just ain't feelin it.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#42 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
well also I like watching at user reviews.....but the ones that are actually well constructed critical and far from day one, if I see a line like "X game is the most amazing ever....10" I skip it and keep looking for a well made one
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44075 Posts
Yeah I still trust reviews of the main sites I look at like Gamespot, Giant Bomb, 1Up, IGN, and Gametrailers. On a 10 point scale most of the games I play tend to fall within a 1 or less point difference of what they give and what I would give so my tastes seem to be pretty consistent with theirs.
true_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 true_gamer007
Member since 2011 • 433 Posts

You can take rough ideas with it. Ultimately, it depends on one's personal taste.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Lately the best reviews for me have been reading user feedback from people who actually paid money for the game from sites like Amazon or briefly watching walkthroughs since they go up a day or two before the game is released. If I read reviews on game sites, I pay more attention to a nitpicker's feedback than 20 fanboys praising a game like it's the GOTY when half of them haven't even played it yet.

I notice fanboys will shoot down nitpickers but usually users who provide thorough reviews explaining their feedback tend to be more spot on. People's opinions are cool to some extent but can sometime influence how you look at the game before you even play it. It's like with certain contests where no other judge can see how the next judge voted until all votes have been revealed. Seeing a game in action for yourself 1st hand beats a review from anybody.

yomanjdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#46 yomanjdf
Member since 2003 • 1166 Posts

i trust a combination of user and site scores

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
I read reviews and try to see where the guy is coming from. If he's coming from the same place as me, I give weight to his review. It helps me that I don't care about numbers or seek validation for my gaming preferences I just read reviews for information. Granted, a lot of reviewers fail to provide information. I've seen professional reviewers complain about non-existent problems and ignore massive problems. I think the problem is that sometimes reviewers decide to lie (sometimes by omission) in order to either make sure that people don't buy a game they really dislike or buy a game they really like.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I just read reviews to get a good chuckle, specially when you see reviewers give games that do better than their predecessors and get a lower score, thats a face palm moment.

I won't point fingers on which site does it the most *cough* Gamespot *cough*

TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts
Disregarding scores, which is helpful when judging how well written a review is, I've found the best written ones tend to come from Eurogamer, Rock Paper Shotgun, EDGE, some of the reviewers here, namely Kevin Van Ord who is probably the best actual video game journalist around, and for a lighter take on things Zero Punctuation and Classic Game Room. IGN's, more often than not, tend to be largely composed of drivel, same with Destructoid and on some occasions GameTrailers (although the rest of their coverage is fantastic). For scores, I'll simply look at Metacritic, it gives you a far better numeric representation on the quality of a game than any single review score.
ps2snesgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ps2snesgod
Member since 2009 • 771 Posts

i trust destructoid mostly jim sterling. he gave deadly premonition a 10 and arkham city an 8.5 which i highly agree with.