Do you think we will get a new Splinter Cell this gen?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Poll Do you think we will get a new Splinter Cell this gen? (8 votes)

Yes 25%
No 75%

I really miss the Splinter Cell series can you believe Blacklist is 5 years old now going on 6 in August geez. Ubisoft keeps teasing it in their games like Far Cry new Dawn and there was that leak from Walmart Canada last year that had Splinter Cell on it. It correctly had games that where announced later like Rage 2 and Just Cause 4. So do you think we will get a new Splinter Cell this gen?

• 
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58911 Posts

There's a Spinter Cell movie in the works so yes, Ubisoft will try to capitalize on that in some form.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7230 Posts

I thought it was nailed on but we haven't heard a thing so it's confusing.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11669 Posts

Think it's important to look at the state of the tactical stealth genre in 2019.

Not games that slap 'stealth' as a poorly implemented feature to add on the check-list like Resident Evil 7 or Uncharted 4. But a focus to the raw gameplay_

Deus Ex, Metal Gear, and Thief suffered painfully not long ago. Chances are Ubisoft don't see the finical benefit to continue Splinter Cell.

Hitman 2018 barely makes even, and Dishonored 2 from my understanding, underperformed. And they're the two franchises carrying the flag right now.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Companies like Ubisoft apparently have decided that open-world games, microtransactions and online services are the way to go. A stealth game like Splinter Cell doesn't fit in any of those categories. However, it still has its audience so a new entry is always possible. Perhaps after they've milked their other franchises dry and need a break.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@undefined: I miss the series too! I am hoping for a surprise Spinter Cell before this generation ends!

And bring back Michael Ironside

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

There's a Spinter Cell movie in the works so yes, Ubisoft will try to capitalize on that in some form.

A Splinter Cell movie has been "in the works" for over a decade, so I wouldn't count on it, especially after Assassin's Creed bombed.

drpriyaverma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 drpriyaverma
Member since 2019 • 7 Posts

I'm not sure about this..

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts
@Black_Knight_00 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

A Splinter Cell movie has been "in the works" for over a decade, so I wouldn't count on it, especially after Assassin's Creed bombed.

agreed.

@johnd13 said:

Companies like Ubisoft apparently have decided that open-world games, microtransactions and online services are the way to go. A stealth game like Splinter Cell doesn't fit in any of those categories.

they've tried their best to force it though.

we've seen first with conviction and then blacklist the "ubisoftication" of the franchise to it feeling more like far cry, ac and watch dogs than the original trilogy. diversity in their portfolio is clearly not something important to modern ubi.

so no, after the shambles that was blacklist; with its invisible walls, pseudo stealth, generic cast, ridiculous point / upgrade trees (why the f*ck is a secret agent forced to pay for his own kit?!), no map, no interrogations, hold x to hack (as opposed to the challenge of hacking - and being able to remote hack - back in the original trilogy), far cry stealth detection, forced action sequences and all the rest, let's hope they show mercy and let the franchise rest in peace

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@johnd13 said:

Companies like Ubisoft apparently have decided that open-world games, microtransactions and online services are the way to go. A stealth game like Splinter Cell doesn't fit in any of those categories. However, it still has its audience so a new entry is always possible. Perhaps after they've milked their other franchises dry and need a break.

While I don't disagree with you, it would be nice if these studios could maybe realize they don't have to dump hundreds of millions of dollars into their games and task thousands of people to work on it.

Given the talent they tend to acquire they can make a great, offline, singleplayer game with a staff of <100 people and a budget of <20 million. They already have the staff, there is already a game engine developed, all we need is a script, story, and voice actors (there's more to it, obviously, but c'mon).

Part of me wishes these major publishers would open subsidiaries that work on special projects like this, that don't have to conform to the MO of the parent studio (i.e. "every game must be a service, every game must be online in some way" and so on). I mean, if enough people want a Splinter Cell game, but not enough to make it profitable if created along current standards, then maybe send it to this subsidiary and see what they can do. Call it Ubisoft South or Electronic Arts West or whatever, I don't know...

Pomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pomi
Member since 2019 • 5 Posts

I hope so. I really liked Splinter cell series.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@johnd13 said:

While I don't disagree with you, it would be nice if these studios could maybe realize they don't have to dump hundreds of millions of dollars into their games and task thousands of people to work on it.

Given the talent they tend to acquire they can make a great, offline, singleplayer game with a staff of <100 people and a budget of <20 million. They already have the staff, there is already a game engine developed, all we need is a script, story, and voice actors (there's more to it, obviously, but c'mon).

Part of me wishes these major publishers would open subsidiaries that work on special projects like this, that don't have to conform to the MO of the parent studio (i.e. "every game must be a service, every game must be online in some way" and so on). I mean, if enough people want a Splinter Cell game, but not enough to make it profitable if created along current standards, then maybe send it to this subsidiary and see what they can do. Call it Ubisoft South or Electronic Arts West or whatever, I don't know...

I think what's stopping them is expectations. Today's gamers are very hard to satisfy and quick to judge. That's what EA did by handing Andromeda to a B studio and look how that turned out (disclaimer: personally I enjoyed Andromeda). However, I agree with you. There are franchises I'm really fond of and it's sad seeing them buried underneath the soulless husks that most game companies put out today.