Do you think we will ever get another Mirror's Edge?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I'm a big fan of the series I even like Catalyst granted it's not as good as the original but I still I think it's a solid title in the series. I'm hoping maybe next gen will get another one. To me the Mirror's Edge IP still feels unique and refreshing compared to what else is on the market. So do you think we will ever see a new Mirror's Edge game?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#2 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yep. It’s too good a franchise not to have a third instalment. I haven’t played Catalyst.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

I love the series, even the ios game, but Catalyst didn't sell that great. Not getting my hopes up for a third :(

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

In a word no they needed catalyst to sell and it bombed. Sad but it's doubtful.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

No, EA won't to that. EA doesn't focus on single player, only multiplayer and lootboxes.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

@watercrack445 said:

No, EA won't to that. EA doesn't focus on single player, only multiplayer and lootboxes.

Now that you mention it, the premise of Mirror's Edge would lend itself well to an online persistent world. Or a competitive multiplayer game with Runners vs Cops or something. On the off chance we get another Mirror's Edge, it will probably be like that.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@judaspete: Awesome idea actually.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Sure hope so!

If they're smart, they'll do it at least partially (ideally entirely) in VR. That game would be an absolute trip in VR.

I'd love a non-VR version though, too!

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Second game sucked. Don't care anymore. And no. EA doesn't like single player games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@mrbojangles25 said:

Sure hope so!

If they're smart, they'll do it at least partially (ideally entirely) in VR. That game would be an absolute trip in VR.

I'd love a non-VR version though, too!

The original Mirror's Edge is lol it's actually possible I got a Oculus Rift and there's this third party program that lets you play old games in VR call Vorpx. It was the first game I ever beat in VR lol I don't get motion sickness so I had no issues with that. It was pretty amazing to look around the world in VR and just soak in the atmosphere it's one of the highlights of this generation in gaming for me.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

The first (imo) had far too many problems to be considered good. The second (from what I hear) was even worse.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Nope. Heard the last game sold pretty bad and its EA, singleplayer is not what EA wants.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

The second game sucked. I think they might though but I wouldn't hold my breath.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I really liked the first game. Never finished Catalyst though as I lost interest half-way through. Considering that it didn't sell well and EA's focus is now on online games, I doubt we'll see another one anytime soon...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

It's weird though EA said that Catalyst definitely meeting our expectations. PR talk I guess but the original Mirror's Edge didn't sell that great neither it's always been a niche series.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/07/12/mirrors-edge-catalyst-definitely-meeting-our-expectations-says-ea/

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

It was a brave idea but they didn't have the bravery to make it as it should have been made.

A huge red line makes you feel like a baby although you can remove it, everyone might not know that.

It was a game that needed to be free roaming but it was completely linear.

Parkour is cool because it's about freedom but the single player games offered sluggish controls and were inaccurate.

The concept is solid but the execution was off.

So now people are saying "it's a niche game". That's only because it was a disappointing treatment of a great idea.

The art style is very on point though and the female lead is hardly even a sex object at all!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@jackamomo said:

It was a brave idea but they didn't have the bravery to make it as it should have been made.

A huge red line makes you feel like a baby although you can remove it, everyone might not know that.

Parkour is cool because it's about freedom but the single player games offered sluggish controls and were inaccurate.

So now people are saying "it's a niche game". That's only because it was a disappointing treatment of a great idea.

The art style is very on point though and the female lead is hardly even a sex object at all!

I agree about the red line making the game to easy it's unfortunate but not surprising modern gaming is to easy. But anyways I do believe the Mirror's Edge games are niche casuals would never touch them. In my view Catalyst gets to much hate people complained about the gunplay in the first game alot of them said it was to hard I never had issues with it but people whined and said it ruined the flow of the game. so DICE took it away in Catalyst then the combat became to easy which is true so people complained again it's pretty silly I think the game should of just kept the gunplay. Making Mirror's Edge a open world was a step in the right direction although I think they should of just made it a sequel and not a reboot. The open world in Catalyst felt really good but the city design wasn't as strong as the first game. Catalyst is no way perfect nor better then the original game but it's not horrible or bad either in my opinion.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

ME is the poster child for why everything shouldn't be open world.

First game works because it's basically a racing game. What do racing games have? Tracks. You put a racing game in an open world and it's just a lot of driving around aimlessly, very little urgency and nothing to push you to keep yourself moving. Finding all the the little alternate routes in ME was incredible, traversing them even moreso. Speed was basically relegated to mini-game status in the sequel and that's just everything turned on its head. Basically, to stick with the racing analogy, the ME sequel was like getting Forza: Schoolzone.

I don't think it'll have the demand for another try. People that liked the original weren't really over the top for the sequel. And I feel like players who jumped on with the sequel didn't get a chance to see the potential of this franchise, so they wouldn't be likely to try it again or recommend it to others.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I found catalyst to be way superior to the original in every way. The first game was failed experiment in many ways, and just did not deliver anything it promised. Catalyst was the game as it was meant to be in the first place.

Dont see how you could improve from catalyst, tho. Its the simplicity of the visuals that is the charm of the series, so if they build a more realistic city, it would not feel the same game.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@jackamomo said:

But that might've been a negative. On the cover of a the first game you see a pretty hot babe. Then you plan the game... and it's like where did she go?

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I expect a mobile app or maybe if we’re lucky a vr title. But the second one wasn’t profitable enough for me to expect a legit 3rd release.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Nah it's dead. Not profitable enough.