Do you think video games are therapeutic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

I know I've read articles saying video games can help your hand-eye coordination, surgeons who played video games opposed to those who don't performed better, and it's been said that it helps your problem solving skills. But has anybody found video games more immersive than any form of entertainment?

It definitely takes your mind off certain things, and sometimes I find myself being lost and focused on whats going on around me. I guess for me it helps taper of the daily stresses of life. It always seems like your brain is constantly thinking, at least it does for me when I am into a game.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

No, they're a hobbie for some, a timekiller. For others they might be a form of art, it doesn't gets more relevant than that.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I think they can be. To a degree.

I often use games as a means of focusing aggressive compulsions in a safe and consequence free environment. I let frustrations play out in GTA rather than going on a full blown road rage fit for example.

There have been studies that say "cathartic release" isn't as good for you as once believed. That if you come to rely on it too much that you can get in the habit of doing it and start to kinda need that release. One could also use it as a crutch to ignore real world problems rather than addressing them.

So as with all things, moderation is the key. Blowing off a little steam in a driving game when you've had a lousy day is fine. Just don't use it as an avoidance tactic while repressing real world issues.

I'd still say this isn't an ideal way of appreciating a games artistic merits however. I find I am the most engaged with the game when I'm fully focused on it as one would focus on appreciating any piece of art.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I wana hear some examples before I weigh in

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I have a hard time focusing on anything, but games help me stay focused again. So yeah, it is for me.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

It's crazy since you mentioned that, because for a brief period from 2008-2012 I took a break from gaming. I've found my concentration much more improved since I began playing again.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

At times, they certainly are. Nothing was a better stress reliever for me back in high school then getting fully engrossed in a video game. Just thinking about it would help me get through the day.

It depends on the game, how involved in it I am, and what kind of emotional state I'm in prior to playing it, but many games have had calming and anxiety curing effects on me.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

If you use them to unwind. Then yeah they can be. Think about why humans play any game video game, sport or board game in the first place. The rules and the likeliness to receive a more immediate feedback or sense of accomplishment, especially on rhythmic levels as opposed to the uncertainties, risks, high demand and long waiting and development periods of our lives is a notable difference. Plus to be able to express yourself in ways that our human bodies are incapable of feeds that no-borders part of our imagination.

Of course all that can be therapy when life at times makes you feel powerless and boxed in.

Sometimes a quick play break can allow your mind to relax and jog and produce ideas or solution that won't generate when you're deep into your work and develop stress sort tunnel vision that impedes creative thinking.

But as they said before. Everything in moderation.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

Back in middle school, I was quite suicidal. GoldenEye saved my life. Seriously. I would load up the first couple levels and turn on invincibility. In the facility, I would just kill the infinitely spawning guards. I would spend hours doing that.

Nowadays, I don't know. I don't play that many games anymore. If anything, I just escape into the internet. I get online to check the forum and slickdeals, and I wake up about two hours later. I hate my life right now, and I can't figure a solution at this point, so I just escape into television or the internet. Games are too interactive sometimes for pure escapism.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Of course they can be, just not all types of games. Like most online FPS's are very tense and increase BP and stress levels rather than relaxing you. There are tons of games that are straight fun and soothing though.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

yeah ofcourse they do. games are being used for treating phantom pain (phantom limb), and depression, because people can have a distraction and even express out their emotions.

its true that gamers are better surgeons because games make you think , take decisions quickly and concentrate more. games make children to get interested in the modern technology, history etc even increases the general knowledge of the people ,even helps in making a better character, and helps the children learn about the world . Studies had shown that gamers generally have a higher IQ.

{ BE PROUD OF BEING A VIDEO GAMER }

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I think it is, if i am having a really bad day and i want to vent stuff i can do it through games

Clydefrog92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Clydefrog92
Member since 2008 • 173 Posts

I just can't let my anger out in a videogame for some reason. I guess because I feel no emotiona lattachment to anything in the game. Usually the game will just let my agitation fester.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Games are things players and spectators can put energy into which balance stress levels during the best of times. If you do not know already, stress influences health in our lives. Financially, we Americans spend $300 billion on it annually.

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CoquiNegro
Member since 2013 • 171 Posts

Yes. I tend to have quite a bit of stress when coming home after a long day at the university/work. It just feels so alleviating to pick up a game and start playing, removes any tension I might have had during the day. I usually play Journey, to relax myself. It doesn't get better than that.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

@CoquiNegro said:

Yes. I tend to have quite a bit of stress when coming home after a long day at the university/work. It just feels so alleviating to pick up a game and start playing, removes any tension I might have had during the day. I usually play Journey, to relax myself. It doesn't get better than that.

i know what you mean

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I use games as a form of escapism and I'm not ashamed to admit so. Life drains me. The only way I can deal with life at times is distraction.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@mjf249 said:

I know I've read articles saying video games can help your hand-eye coordination, surgeons who played video games opposed to those who don't performed better, and it's been said that it helps your problem solving skills. But has anybody found video games more immersive than any form of entertainment?

It definitely takes your mind off certain things, and sometimes I find myself being lost and focused on whats going on around me. I guess for me it helps taper of the daily stresses of life. It always seems like your brain is constantly thinking, at least it does for me when I am into a game.

Yes, games can be therapeutic to a certain degree because it all depends on the person, for some games can work magic for others not.

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CoquiNegro

@The_Last_Ride: I know that you know what I mean.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Last_Ride

@CoquiNegro said:

@The_Last_Ride: I know that you know what I mean.

University all day, work in the weekends. Only time to relax or blow off some steam is games

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

That's a very broad question that's hard to answer definitively. Video games CAN be therapeutic for some however they can be detrimental to others. It all depends on the person.

Playing sport would be a good comparison. I find golf quite relaxing as I just let my mind drift, chat with mates and "get my blood pumping" by walking around for a few hours. Other mates I know can't get thru a crap day without spending some time shooting hoops. However that doesn't mean that playing basketball is therapeutic. It just means it can be for some but not for others.

I guess the advantage of sport is that there are physical benefits whether you're winning or losing. The hardest part in determining the therapeutic effect of something like this is that it's skill based so, if you're doing well, then you get the reward whereas, if you perform poorly, it can have an adverse affect.

Just my opinion of course. I know that I certainly enjoy taking time out to play a few rounds of pinball or even Skylanders with the kids when things feel like they're getting on top of me.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Gaming is defiantly therapeutic for me. Especially when I have a stress full day, pop in a good game and it can calm me down. Especially games that involve thinking not just mindless shooting.

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CoquiNegro

@The_Last_Ride: That's definitely what I meant :D

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

I've suffered from depression and anxiety in the past and I can tell you that a good session in an immersive game can do you the world of good in forgetting your worries.

A great game can lift your mood and relax your brain and that can only be a good thing in my opinion.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#26 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Yes, I posted this story a couple times but hey might as well post it again.

When I was going through chemotherapy, gaming was one of the major things that got me through. I still remember playing Batman Arkham City in short sessions when I was feeling good enough, and the time I had with the game is so special to me. It really made me forget all my problems and it transported me somewheres much better. Not much later my dad passed away from cancer and video games became even more helpful in my life. I've gone through 3 major surgeries and I'm still recovering today. Some days I'm too sick to play games but when I do, I really forget how sucky life can be and appreciate the worlds developers made for us.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@ZZoMBiE13 said:

I often use games as a means of focusing aggressive compulsions in a safe and consequence free environment. I let frustrations play out in GTA rather than going on a full blown road rage fit for example.

Unless some aspect of the game would have the opposite effect. Driving a motorcycle in GTA5 for instance would frustrate me at times.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

There are a lot of studies to support this, but you're asking the question in a video game forum so of course you are going to get more positive responses than negative. My wife was telling me about a Ted Talk she had watched on gaming recently (gaming in general, but encompassing video games as well). There were a number of points and studies that they mentioned, but one in particular was that for people with anxiety disorders, 30 minutes a day on an MMO has shown to be as effective as some of the prescribed drugs for the various disorders.

-Byshop

touchscreenpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 touchscreenpad
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

With the recommended playing time of a maximum of 2 hours a day then I say yes it gives some benefits.

But if you play for more than that then whatever benefits it gives I think is gone.

CallOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30 CallOfGaming
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Games are certainly the most entertaining thing in the world. Right now, I'm living in an other country, whose language I don't know to speak, so I find it very stressing, so games definitly are therateupic. For Example, some people that are in a hospital, with extreme pains, they usually give that person a computer/ a console cuz games help with stress and pain.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@touchscreenpad said:

With the recommended playing time of a maximum of 2 hours a day then I say yes it gives some benefits.

But if you play for more than that then whatever benefits it gives I think is gone.

Yeah, a glass of red wine daily is good for heart health, but a couple bottles daily is alcoholism. Anything is bad if not done/taken in moderation.

-Byshop

Mrod1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32  Edited By Mrod1212
Member since 2009 • 1165 Posts

Personally, it's something to relax and kill time.