Do you think there's a lack of creativity in video games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jbird120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jbird120
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I mean, almost every new release is just a remake of an older game. Plus every cartoon that comes out seems to need a video game. What do you think about it?
C3Le5tiaL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 C3Le5tiaL
Member since 2009 • 278 Posts

You can't really stereotype that ALL video games lack creativity, because some are very original ideas.

luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 luno-gamer
Member since 2007 • 405 Posts

sure

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
well i definitely think there could be more creativity, but there are innovators and immitaters like in any other medium.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

It's difficult to answer this question. My favourite era of gaming was during the N64/PS1 days, but I was a kid back then. Perhaps everything seemed new to me as I grew and experienced more. These days I can pass over 100 games before I find even one remotely interesting to me and then I have to make a whole host of decisions as to whether or not I'll buy a game based on its price and how similar or unique it is to games I've played in the past.

Let's take something like Halo, MW2 or GTAIV. Both are good games, in their own rights, but I've played those games before. I played GTAIV when I played GTA1, I played MW2 and Halo when I played Doom or Wolfenstien 3D. It's not so much about making a "new" game, but about making an old game look new again, i.e. building upon an old formula and giving it a face lift so that it appears new and fresh. I feel there's too much in the way of franchises trying to push out title after title (Halo, CoD, any EA series) and the games, the genres, just feel stale sooner than they should.

In my opinion, it's only when we get some dramatic change, next generation graphics or physics, perhaps some admiring story telling that we really get a "new" game and that feeling of creativity. This same line of thinking can be applied to movies and music. I would add books, but I don't read enough to be able to comment on that sufficiently.

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 EvilTaru
Member since 2002 • 58394 Posts

I mean, almost every new release is just a remake of an older game. Plus every cartoon that comes out seems to need a video game. What do you think about it?Jbird120

That's quite a blanket statement you're making.

hawk_767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 hawk_767
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts

Let's take something like Halo, MW2 or GTAIV. Both are good games, in their own rights, but I've played those games before. I played GTAIV when I played GTA1, I played MW2 and Halo when I played Doom or Wolfenstien 3D. It's not so much about making a "new" game, but about making an old game look new again, i.e. building upon an old formula and giving it a face lift so that it appears new and fresh.

DigitalExile

I really don't think you can compare Halo to MW2 or either to DOOM or Wolfenstien. Thats basicly like comparing the whole of FPS games to eachother. Yes there are similarities between all, you shoot people, but they don't all have the same play style, or feel.

To the original question, companies are pandering to the casual gamers mainly, and trying to make every game look good so that it will be picked up fast. With all of the kids out there playing games, the cartoon games are very popular, good or not. You'll have remakes, you'll have cheap knock-offs, but you'll also have great original titles that will be released. There are plenty of companys out there, and plenty more small groups of kids using free sofware to create their own titles. You just have to wait, watch, and hope for a great new title that interests you and that you'll enjoy as much as the games you played before.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

The most origanal games i've seen was Valkiria Chronicles Followed by Red Faction Guerilla. though WiC, COH: OF and DoW2 are worth mentioning.

RaZoR_RaiN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 RaZoR_RaiN
Member since 2009 • 489 Posts

Yeah. The graphics keep improving, but very little breaks the mould.

Dreamerdude26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dreamerdude26
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts
In order to have something new, most of the time they are built off of older ideas. There are some newer games out there, mostly in the Indie scene, but most mainstream games are made to be profitable, not new. You can't say there isn't innovation though, Prince of persia made free running a possibility, assassins creed made it open world, Mirrors Edge took that into first person shooters, and now most third person games have some sort of free running thing to go along with them. Prince of Persia innovated, but now every other game is looking to try to see if they can make money off of it too. Half-Life was creative in the way that it told it's story, now every other first person shooter has to try to have an amazing story told completely through the first person. There will be innovation again, but most people won't see it or even realize where it came from because It will probably come from about three different games at the same time, probably not long after the game that started it. So yeah, I think there is creativity, just not a ton of it, especially since games went mainstream.
Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

No not really. However I worry for it sometimes. If law and production restrictions would loosen up a bit i'm sure we will see more creativity but overall, it's not going too bad as we see the odd breakthrough game occur every three or four months. If you want to see a brand new game that has absoultley nothing in common with any other game ever made and expect one to be released each week then your going to be very dissapointed with the games industry and probably life in general.

Whenever I see these topics it always boils down to people saying stuff like "The SNES was the time of games, now everything else iscrap" and that "Chrono Trigger is the best game in the world and every other RPG ever made has no imagination and has taken giant leaps backwards!".

I suggest you don't talk to those people, they are ugly and they smell of cabbage, they are just jealous that your better looking them them and they want to put your life to the standard theres is in.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

Sports games I'd say fit the description, but other than that I don't think so.

I think that there are just way too many FPS games out there. At least they're not milking WW2 anymore but still...

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I think that in some ways, yes , there is less creativity, but I also think that part of that is due to the fact that "everything has been done before".

also I think graphics are a part if that perception, the graphical jump isnt quite as big from last gen to this, as it was from say 2D to 3D or even from the PS1/N64/Saturn to the last gen , (at least last gen, characters didnt look blocky and actually had faces that didnt look drawn on the characters)

so yeah there is creativity but I wouldnt say its just laziness, there are other factors

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#14 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Naw, I don't think so. Bayonetta is pretty creative. I also think Dante's Inferno gets points, just for using the background material it did. Pretty cool idea for a game.
gopulpfiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 gopulpfiction
Member since 2004 • 401 Posts

Sometimes I think there's a lack creativity from the consummer side, which effects development. While this is a small case study, follow the Dante's Inferno discussion board. You'll find numerous posts saying "If the game followed the book, it'll be a really boring game", which which really means "Dante's Inferno had to be a hack-and-slash game." With a little creativity, I'm sure a video game rendition of the poem could've taken any route other than hack-and-slash.

I just think that there's a lot of people who have certain expectations on what a game should be, and developers pay attention to that because they want a game to sell well. And in turn, it limits what they can do creatively.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="gopulpfiction"]

Sometimes I think there's a lack creativity from the consummer side, which effects development. While this is a small case study, follow the Dante's Inferno discussion board. You'll find numerous posts saying "If the game followed the book, it'll be a really boring game", which which really means "Dante's Inferno had to be a hack-and-slash game." With a little creativity, I'm sure a video game rendition of the poem could've taken any route other than hack-and-slash.

I just think that there's a lot of people who have certain expectations on what a game should be, and developers pay attention to that because they want a game to sell well. And in turn, it limits what they can do creatively.

i agree with that. if consumers bought predominantly creative games, developers would put their best efforts to make more truly creative products. but when consumers are only buying what they know and top sellers are most often very familiar games, you can expect developers to make what people are buying.
Conan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Conan1985
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts

Definatly it seems very few can write a decent plot...most have lol plots...

rassklot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rassklot
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

definitely lost creativity... the last game that impressed me with creativity was far cry 2...

games back in the day.. especially on n64 always blew me away

Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

Examples of creativity in recent games:

1. Assasins Creed II - Da Vinci's flying machine

2. Bayonetta - ...just watch the videos of her super moves and be delighted by the awesomeness

3. Dragon Age Origins - A very unique story in and of itself

4. Modern Warfare 2 - optional airport scene

5. Borderlands - randomize weapons with elemental effects

I mean I could go on but why? Creativity will always exist, now granted there are certainly uninspired games out there but saying that all games lack creativity is very far from the truth and is certainly an uneducated question to ask in general. I mean no offense by this but without creativity and excitement gaming would have died a long long time ago. The same goes for any form of media.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

definitely lost creativity... the last game that impressed me with creativity was far cry 2...

rassklot
Maybe because we were younger back then. I remember being wowed by UN Squadron for the SNES because of the clouds and the sunset/sunrise in Ocarina of Time.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

i think devs are playing it safe, especially with publishers forkin over lots of money and breathing down their necks with due dates. blizzard does good with this, and ubisoft to an extent...but most games are just rehashes of others....mega man 10 anyone?

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Bayonetta...that's all I have to say right now!
PabloEscobar20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 PabloEscobar20
Member since 2009 • 837 Posts

It's hard to be creative when pretty much everything has already been done before.

Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#24 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts
Lack creativity? Sure a majority does and sadly, the biggest lackluster titles belong to the FPS genre but, I dare you to play Bayonetta, Valkyria Chronicles, or Brutal Legend and tell me that video games lack creativity.
lil_Milan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lil_Milan
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Not really, lots of games do have creativity...like inFAMOUS....that wasn't really copied from anywhere....totally original
tommy_boy9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tommy_boy9999
Member since 2009 • 67 Posts
I would have to agree with a previous post that most Sports games fit your description. Other than that Im an avid game collector for 20 years and todays games are fantastic. You have the innovation of the Wii controllers. The HD graphics of the 360 and PS3 which adds so much more to the game experience. Plus you have the Nintendo DS and the PSP. These two handhelds are IMO where the creativity if really flowing. Play Bioshock and then ask if game creativity is dead. No way game story telling has changed dramatically during this generation of gaming. To me this generation is almost as exciting as the 16 bit wars generation. I have never bought more new releases. The only thing that is sorely lacking in creativity is Online gaming. I do not like matching and think this needs to change, but thats my opinion
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

The lack of creativity is a direct result of complacent consumption on the user end. Until people start using their wallets to demand innovation, we can all expect pretty much the same small trough to feed from year in and year out.

Large corporations that are ultimately ruled by the proverbial bottom line, have no incentive to anything except whatever generates the largest revenue for the least amount of effort.

Edit : This is of course excluding the few and sadly... far between titles that reach in directions others dont.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#29 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

It's hard to be creative when pretty much everything has already been done before.

PabloEscobar20
That exact problem has been plaguing literature, music and film for the past century or more.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

Lack creativity? Sure a majority does and sadly, the biggest lackluster titles belong to the FPS genre but, I dare you to play Bayonetta, Valkyria Chronicles, or Brutal Legend and tell me that video games lack creativity.Rhen_Var

you have a point there....bayonetta kinda felt like dmc but with a diff protagonist and i diff flair

valkyria chronicles was probably the best you mentioned

brutal legend was one of the most original games with horrible waterdown gameplay mechanics which i sold within 48 hours of buying........

brutal legend is exactly why people dont do creative things....it was a great idea, but it failed in the gameplay, graphics, sound, multiplayer arenas....they made their money off of it, but when i go to gamestop and see more used copies on the wall than new, and the game isnt that old, i wonder to myself is it really worth it to be so creative, and to suck that bad........

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#31 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="rassklot"]

Maybe because we were younger back then. I remember being wowed by UN Squadron for the SNES because of the clouds and the sunset/sunrise in Ocarina of Time.

to an extent youre correct, even back in the 90s we cared about graphics, even if at the time our expectations were lower obviously. though I do think graphics seem to matter more now then they did
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
to an extent yes but no where near as bad as the movie industry,
xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts

I Think video games are the only place you can find creativity.It doesnt exist in movies or music anymore.

soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

hell yeaah I & I tinks dat there be no luv inda world ah gaming

for love is creation - love is de creativity & I & I see dere be no love in da buildings bare be makademchaka

jah blesss me sunshiness

rassklot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rassklot
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="rassklot"]

Darkman2007

to an extent youre correct, even back in the 90s we cared about graphics, even if at the time our expectations were lower obviously. though I do think graphics seem to matter more now then they did

i know what you guys mean, but i can still go back and play ocarina of time and be just as impressed...i personally dont really care about graphics.. dragon age was pretty ugly but i still enjoyed it.. alot of games (ie gta4) strive off its graphics... there was absolutely nothing creative about the game.. technologically though it was AMAZING..

cant wait for another hitman game though.. that franchise flourishes in creativity

ThePartisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ThePartisan
Member since 2008 • 92 Posts

hell yeaah I & I tinks dat there be no luv inda world ah gaming

for love is creation - love is de creativity & I & I see dere be no love in da buildings bare be makademchaka

jah blesss me sunshiness

soren008

exactly