Do you think gamestop will go out of business pretty soon?

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

Do you think gamestop will go out of business pretty soon? I have a gift card with some gamestop money on it, i am thinking about using it to buy some playstation points before that happens. I have heard at least that gamestop stores are closing down all the time, so that's why I'm curious.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

not as long as pre-orders and DLC exist.

thelordofpies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thelordofpies
Member since 2011 • 869 Posts

They won't go away anytime soon earliest would be 5 year's but that's not counting the GameStop Pre-Order's you're gift card is fine but if you buy anything from PSN buy what ever it is quickly.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

@thelordofpies said:

They won't go away anytime soon earliest would be 5 year's but that's not counting the GameStop Pre-Order's you're gift card is fine but if you buy anything from PSN buy what ever it is quickly.

Why should i buy stuff from PSN quickly? i just want to buy Final Fantasy VIII and Chrono Cross for my psp.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

By soon you mean in the next 5 years? Then probably not. Maybe in the next 10-15 years.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Yeah, but by soon I mean about 10 years, although I'm referring to UK equivalents Game/Grainger Games. there pretty much the only high street gaming retailers left standing.

Most independent businesses have closed, and Gamestation are all but gone, some stores exist but not many and they are owned by Game anyway.

CEX seem to doing ok, they don't specialize in just games, they also have all sorts of hardware thats been traded in, some retro games, DVD's/Blu Rays and CD's.

Anyway my point is these type of stores have died a death in the last 10 years, Digital downloads will only get easier in future with faster internet and bigger hard drives they will disappear all together.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44273 Posts

No I don't think you really have to worry about that yet.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@hydralisk86: Personally I'm not fond of their customer service. Anyone ever still hear about Electronics Boutique?

AK47Ra1der

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AK47Ra1der
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@RimacBugatti: I haven't heard anything of them in a long time!

I agree with their customer service. I actually work at Best Buy so I do all of my game shopping there and obviously since I serve myself I enjoy the service.

I do not see GameStop going out of business in the near future, but further down the line maybe like within ten years then yeah that could be a big possibility. I know they recently closed down a good number of stores in my area.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@RimacBugatti:

Yea I remember buying games there as a kid.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#11 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

No they are the only store here who sell used games and I don't see that changing any time soon plus walmarts game selection sucks

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@hydralisk86 said:

Do you think gamestop will go out of business pretty soon? I have a gift card with some gamestop money on it, i am thinking about using it to buy some playstation points before that happens. I have heard at least that gamestop stores are closing down all the time, so that's why I'm curious.

So far consoles seem to be their biggest market and consoles have so far yet to move big into DD so no i don't think Gamestop will go bankrupt anytime soon

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Sadly I doubt it will be gone soon, but it's days are surely numbered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

Will GameStop close its doors for good? ...No. Unfortunately, people will continue to sell/trade their games because there are very little avenues to sell games. Granted, more websites are starting to pop up, but its taking time.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

@RimacBugatti: I'm pretty sure EB merged with Gamestop.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Maybe near the end of the generation, or a little after.

MAYBE.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@marcheegsr: I remember Electronics Boutique because that was where I first saw Dreamcast on display and I played Ready 2 Rumble. I went into Gaestop the other day and I asked if they had Driveclub on display and she told me to youtube it at home. The hell with them. I will NEVER give them my money.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

@crimsonbrute: They did.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

It wouldn't bother me any if they did. The last time I was in one the clerk was complaining about customers to another customer.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

i misread this as gamespot

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#21  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

i see a lot of EB games/Gamestop ads lately... i think they are probably trying to get some sales going but its a wasted effort for sure since I'm sure they are doomed by the looks of this desperate advertising splash. Bigger companies like Bestbuy, Walmart etc sell games/accessories also but for less usually, free shipping, usually less hassles.

Many years ago crap gamestop sent me a xbox 360 controller that was completely different then the one i ordered, they didn't give me the proper one and I had to settle with the crap one the gave me. Haven't ordered from them since. Eb games screwed me a few times before that even... Bestbuy and Walmart however takes back everything i've ever returned... had a broken xbox a few years back, Walmart took it back without even asking a single question to me. Not sure how gamestop is still in business to be honest with you, their quality of service is garbage and the company is run by idiots.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Nope. Gamestop opened more stores last year than they closed. I used to work there, trust me- this place is a money fountain. There are 4,500 stores in the USA. Not to mention their other ventures.... 5 years would be too short. Maybe 10 or 15. Maybe longer.

forkandplate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 forkandplate
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

They are doing well from what I've read. I don't think they are going anywhere soon.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@mdk12345 said:

If I wrote this topic, people would start having a fit

Nobody cares.

@RimacBugatti: As mentioned, EB got absorbed a while ago. EB, Babbages, Software ETC, and Gamestop are all the same company now. All of the EB Games stores (at least in the US) are planned to eventually be rebranded as Gamestops.

But yes, I like and miss the old EB and Software ETC.

To the Op: No, Gamestop is doing fine and pretty much has a monopoly on the "console game store" market. Their only competition are companys that don't specifically specalize in games (like Target or Walmart) or "mom and pop" new and used game stores.

-Byshop

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@mdk12345 said:

If I wrote this topic, people would start having a fit

indeed, if you wrote this topic another innocent Kitten would have lost its life, so its understandable really.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 aretilda
Member since 2014 • 499 Posts

@mariokart64fan said:

No they are the only store here who sell used games and I don't see that changing any time soon plus walmarts game selection sucks

I can't even get a game at walmart because only one employee in the whole store has a key to that stupid case, I went into walmart one time and I wanted to buy a game they paged the person that had the key but never showed up I was waiting for 30 minutes! Still never showed up I left without buying anything. Walmart sucks. I only buy games on Amazon.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:

@RimacBugatti: I'm pretty sure EB merged with Gamestop.

Gamestop which was Babbages/Software etc back in the day bought out both EB and Funcoland. I was an assistant manager at Funcoland when it all went down.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 JyePhye
Member since 2004 • 6173 Posts

Unless GameStop completely upends and alters their business model, I would bet that they almost certainly go out of business somewhere between 2020 and 2025.

I'm a former GameStop employee and, speaking frankly, I think their business practices are just completely untenable in the long term. What they rely on to fill their profit margins as a company is baffling.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22388 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

@hydralisk86: Personally I'm not fond of their customer service. Anyone ever still hear about Electronics Boutique?

Gamestop here in Aus trades under the EB Games name... Used to be Electronics Boutique.