Do you think gameplay in games is slowly deteriorating with each gen?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

This topic has probably been thoroughly discussed before, at some point, but I'm going with it anyway.

I read a post someone made on GS that really got me thinking. That post claimed a majority of games nowadays have only been progressing with their visuals and narrative, while gameplay wise, they've been progressively getting worse. They went on to say this trend could very well continue into next gen, and so on, and so forth.

I never really thought about it myself, until now, but the more I have, the more I'm starting to believe it to be true. While I do acknowledge this doesn't apply to every game released this ending generation, it still does seem to be a noticeable issue with games overall these days. A lot seem to be slacking off on the very thing that differentiates them from the other forms of popular entertainment (i.e. movies/TV).

If I was to give an example of this, in regards to the topic, I would go with Uncharted, in comparison to other games in its genre. While I found the game's visuals looked good, and its story was fairly interesting too, the gamplay wasn't very fun, in my opinion. It almost felt like a chore to get through, just to see how the story would develop. Of course this is only the first game that came to mind, as I could go on giving more examples. Though, knowing this game got quite a bit of praise, and I don't wanna make this sound like a pandemic either, but it has me a tad worried for what's to come.

Also, just to clarify, I'm capable of understanding Uncharted's praise could have stemmed from other aspects, and not necessarily gameplay, but you get my distress, yeah?

So, my question is, do you believe gameplay is slowly deteriorating? If so, should we be concerned for the future of gaming? Or do you think it'll just iron itself out as time goes on?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#2 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Well there are always games that have that cinematic experience. Walking Dead, Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid are good examples. I think it depends on the game, but i think it's not getting worse
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
I blame RPG's !
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts
I blame RPG's !Lulu_Lulu
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

It's simply not true, in general. Most genres have been improving gameplay-wise generation after generation. And that includes 2D genres.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
I blame RPG's !Lulu_Lulu
You should blame COD/BF instead :D
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jacanuk

This topic has probably been thoroughly discussed before, at some point, but I'm going with it anyway.

I read a post someone made on GS that really got me thinking. That post claimed a majority of games nowadays have only been progressing with their visuals and narrative, while gameplay wise, they've been progressively getting worse. They went on to say this trend could very well continue into next gen, and so on, and so forth.

I never really thought about it myself, until now, but the more I have, the more I'm starting to believe it to be true. While I do acknowledge this doesn't apply to every game released this ending generation, it still does seem to be a noticeable issue with games overall these days. A lot seem to be slacking off on the very thing that differentiates them from the other forms of popular entertainment (i.e. movies/TV).

If I was to give an example of this, in regards to the topic, I would go with Uncharted, in comparison to other games in its genre. While I found the game's visuals looked good, and its story was fairly interesting too, the gamplay wasn't very fun, in my opinion. It almost felt like a chore to get through, just to see how the story would develop. Of course this is only the first game that came to mind, as I could go on giving more examples. Though, knowing this game got quite a bit of praise, and I don't wanna make this sound like a pandemic either, but it has me a tad worried for what's to come.

Also, just to clarify, I'm capable of understanding Uncharted's praise could have stemmed from other aspects, and not necessarily gameplay, but you get my distress, yeah?

So, my question is, do you believe gameplay is slowly deteriorating? If so, should we be concerned for the future of gaming? Or do you think it'll just iron itself out as time goes on?

Trail_Mix
i dont see gameplay getting worse, its just a case of the human nature kicking in and the older you get the more it comes into affect. Where everything was better in the "old Days" the women were cuter, the cars were faster and the games was better. And then there of course is the clone upon clone upon clone, and everyone knows the first time is the best.
shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Personally, I don't think so. We have such a vast and variety of types of platforms to delve into and ever expanding platforms.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Not really i think each gen is better than the last gen.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Indie developers and Nintendo can always be counted on for a strong gameplay focus among other developers, but I will agree that there is a definite move away from gameplay to a more cinematic experience over the past gen.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Of course.

The mainstream and popular any form of entertainment gets the more dumbed down it becomes. You have to homegnize and make things easy, simply, unoffensive and bland if you want to appeal to the most people as possible.

Thats why the biggest selling games are usually the least unique ones and have easy gameplay.

Game developers and publishers want to sell the most amount of games as possible so they create ones with the most mass appeal as possible. Its like the movie, every year the big studio movies get dumber and dumber and play it safe so they get the most ticket sales possible.

Im speaking of the majority though. Nintendo, sony, microsoft, EA, bioware, capcom and so on are the ones who dumb down games for the majority. There are plenty of games that dont, but they tend to be the medium level studios or the indie guys.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Indie developers and Nintendo can always be counted on for a strong gameplay focus among other developers, but I will agree that there is a definite move away from gameplay to a more cinematic experience over the past gen.

Pikminmaniac

While I hear you, I would also like to say how Nintendo lately likes to make things easier and hold your hand all the time.  It really comes down to the game, and the fact of the matter is a cinematic feel is not bad, taking control from the player all the time is bad. Ocarina of Time was one of the most cinematic games of its time, and it is still the best game of all time ;).

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]I blame RPG's !Jacanuk

lol, COD/BF use a proven formula, it works even without the narrative. With RPG's its the opposite, the narrative/lore does all the heavy lifting.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

NaveedLife

While I hear you, I would also like to say how Nintendo lately likes to make things easier and hold your hand all the time.  It really comes down to the game, and the fact of the matter is a cinematic feel is not bad, taking control from the player all the time is bad. Ocarina of Time was one of the most cinematic games of its time, and it is still the best game of all time ;).

Nintendot has made the entry point easier for their games, yes, but the difficulty cap has been raised quite a bit. They offer some of the toughest challenges in the industry quite frankly. Just try to master any Nintendo Land attraction, complete New Super Mario Bros. U's challenge mode, gold medal Pikmin 3's challenges, get all challenges completed in Punch-Out!!, get a gold medal speed run in every Donkey Kong Country Returns level, etc. Nintendo's gotten tougher in general, you just have to want the challenge.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

No I just don't see that at all.  For every one chore-like experience I've had this gen I could easily name 3 last-gen games that were worse.  And some of those I'd count among my favorites.  I can't even count how many times I'd kill all the enemies in an area and then be left to wander around, literally for hours, wondering what in the world I was supposed to do next.  Talk about a chore.

And when you get back to the PS1 era games without analog sticks you just had the D-pad and you'd steer your character around like a tank and...just no.  I didn't mind it at the time but I could never go back to that now.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts
No I don't feel that it has at all. In fact I think that gameplay has continued to improve in each generation including this current one.
CreatureRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#17 CreatureRising
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts

That's right! Let's blame the acceptable scapegoat for everything!

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

Of course, gaming is in a downwards spiral as all anyone cares about in games these days is the story, critics will give games 10/10s just for the story, even if the gameplay is boring and repetitive (Mass Effect 2 for example) or if there is barley any gameplay at all (Metal Gear Solid 4 for example). Due to things like this happening, I am not all that excited about the next gen.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RageQuitter69

Actually you should be blaming Mass Effect/Metal Gear
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

No. I don't think so. I've been gaming since the NES and going back to those games are a source of nostalgia, but I still prefer newer titles. And whenever I play a new game from the earlier eras I rarely find myself enjoying it. Even though I used to love these kinds of games and would spent as much time as I could in front of a new game back in the early 90's. Gameplay has certainly improved. 

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Of course, gaming is in a downwards spiral as all anyone cares about in games these days is the story, critics will give games 10/10s just for the story, even if the gameplay is boring and repetitive (Mass Effect 2 for example) or if there is barley any gameplay at all (Metal Gear Solid 4 for example). Due to things like this happening, I am not all that excited about the next gen.

RageQuitter69
I agree with this. Games should be games and not movies. Too many devs try to make games look sexy and go for style over substance. The consumer may not like the mechanics of a game but the devs should at least create games that you can play rather than watch.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#22 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I'm not sure I like the focus of many games these days, but gameplay hasn't suffered.

Bongardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bongardo
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

I don't think it got worse at all. Sure there are more games that are easy, and they hold your hand more. But not every game is like that. And I like that games can tell a great cinamtic story now.

If you like tough and simple games, they still exist. Ya just gotta look in the right places. But yeah they may not be as plentiful as before.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Although I disagree with you about the gameplay in Uncharted (I thought the platforming and TPS elements were a lot of fun), I do feel that many big time releases these days put a bit too much emphasis on graphics and storytelling over gameplay. For now I'm not too worried though, since gaming is large enough to accommodate all sorts of different tastes, so there is always something I can find to enjoy.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

No, on the contrary I think gameplay has steadily improved. 

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

not at all.  games have been getting better over the past 7 years, but the standards also have gotten higher.  it's the nostalgia people miss.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lulu_Lulu

not at all.  games have been getting better over the past 7 years, but the standards also have gotten higher.  it's the nostalgia people miss.

drekula2
What about those people who started gaming in 2001-2005 ?

Although I disagree with you about the gameplay in Uncharted (I thought the platforming and TPS elements were a lot of fun), I do feel that many big time releases these days put a bit too much emphasis on graphics and storytelling over gameplay. For now I'm not too worried though, since gaming is large enough to accommodate all sorts of different tastes, so there is always something I can find to enjoy.

lensflare15
I don't think its the emphasis on storytelling thats the problem, I think its become way too common to use passive methods to deliver stories in games.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ReddestSkies

[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"]

firefox59

I agree with this. Games should be games and not movies. Too many devs try to make games look sexy and go for style over substance. The consumer may not like the mechanics of a game but the devs should at least create games that you can play rather than watch.

Dumb, dumb, dumb criticism. If you're not interested in games that focus on their story, play something else. There are a lot more games with complete disregard for the story than games in which the devs actually try to tell a good one. You could completely skip any game with a decent story effort and still have way more enough quality games to play.

And more importantly: I don't care about your personal tastes. What you posted is the equivalent of dismissing entire genres or types of games. It's like saying "you know, games should be games and not simulations. Racing sims, flight sims, etc. shouldn't be made", or "games should be games and not serious matters. Developers should stop making grim, mature games entirely and focus on making light-hearted stuff exclusively". Or just plain "I don't like JRPG, stop making them".

Right now I'm playing Tropico 4, Serious Sam 3 and Trackmania Stadium. One has a barebone story just to give you an excuse to build multiple islands. One has a barebone story thrown out there just because. The other doesn't have one line of text. Gameplay-focused games are not hard to find.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RageQuitter69
[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"]

firefox59

Nice to see someone agree's with me, most people just accuse me of hating the games just because their popular because they can't think of anyway to defend the games flaws.
applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

I think it's becoming less of a focus as graphics and other shiny bullshit becomes the bigger deal. A couple of guys at work last night were talking about how good the next gen game slooked already and I got a bit sad at the whole thing. I want the next gen to facilitate more expansive gameplay, not just make my gun sparkle.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts
Well it costs more to take chances these days. Which reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjbXb2xPdgE
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="RageQuitter69"]

ReddestSkies

Dumb, dumb, dumb criticism. If you're not interested in games that focus on their story, play something else. There are a lot more games with complete disregard for the story than games in which the devs actually try to tell a good one. You could completely skip any game with a decent story effort and still have way more enough quality games to play.

And more importantly: I don't care about your personal tastes. What you posted is the equivalent of dismissing entire genres or types of games. It's like saying "you know, games should be games and not simulations. Racing sims, flight sims, etc. shouldn't be made", or "games should be games and not serious matters. Developers should stop making grim, mature games entirely and focus on making light-hearted stuff exclusively". Or just plain "I don't like JRPG, stop making them".

Right now I'm playing Tropico 4, Serious Sam 3 and Trackmania Stadium. One has a barebone story just to give you an excuse to build multiple islands. One has a barebone story thrown out there just because. The other doesn't have one line of text. Gameplay-focused games are not hard to find.

I don't think thats what He meant. He means why spend butloads of cash on a video game that still leeches from other mediums like film and books to deliver their story. He's not against story driven games, he's just against stories that require an observer instead of a player, Playing (watching) Metal Gear solid is like watching (reading) a text based movie.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ReddestSkies

I don't think thats what He meant. He means why spend butloads of cash on a video game that still leeches from other mediums like film and books to deliver their story. He's not against story driven games, he's just against stories that require an observer instead of a player, Playing (watching) Metal Gear solid is like watching (reading) a text based movie.Lulu_Lulu

I have no interest in the MGS series. But its reliance on cutscenes is an artistic decision which you and I are in no position to dismiss as a waste of money. If Konami wants to include literally 0 gameplay time, it's their decision and not ours. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RageQuitter69
[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"] I agree with this. Games should be games and not movies. Too many devs try to make games look sexy and go for style over substance. The consumer may not like the mechanics of a game but the devs should at least create games that you can play rather than watch.Lulu_Lulu

I don't think thats what He meant. He means why spend butloads of cash on a video game that still leeches from other mediums like film and books to deliver their story. He's not against story driven games, he's just against stories that require an observer instead of a player, Playing (watching) Metal Gear solid is like watching (reading) a text based movie.

See, this guy gets it, I love a great story in a game, but when gameplay has to suffer because of it (and there is really no excuse for gameplay having to suffer as there are plenty of games that combine gameplay and story really well), it's a different story.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Not at all. In fact I think it's evolving.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]I don't think thats what He meant. He means why spend butloads of cash on a video game that still leeches from other mediums like film and books to deliver their story. He's not against story driven games, he's just against stories that require an observer instead of a player, Playing (watching) Metal Gear solid is like watching (reading) a text based movie.ReddestSkies

I have no interest in the MGS series. But its reliance on cutscenes is an artistic decision which you and I are in no position to dismiss as a waste of money. If Konami wants to include literally 0 gameplay time, it's their decision and not ours. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

lol, so you're saying if they want a Video Game that can't even be played at all then I can't dismis that ?
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ReddestSkies

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]I don't think thats what He meant. He means why spend butloads of cash on a video game that still leeches from other mediums like film and books to deliver their story. He's not against story driven games, he's just against stories that require an observer instead of a player, Playing (watching) Metal Gear solid is like watching (reading) a text based movie.Lulu_Lulu

lol, so you're saying if they want a Video Game that can't even be played at all then I can't dismis that ?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Because really, it comes down to personal preferences. Even if you take those "MGS has no gameplay" statements literally, it's still just an artistic decision made by developers, and somehow they found millions of people to buy their product. Whether you like it or not is down to personal preferences, and I really don't care about your personal preferences.

And that's where I go back to my original point: if games that focus heavily on story aren't your thing, you still have hundreds of quality games in which the story is an after-thought to choose from. 

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jacanuk
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] lol, so you're saying if they want a Video Game that can't even be played at all then I can't dismis that ?

Try telling people that Dear Esther is not a game :D and see what happens.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

ReddestSkies

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Because really, it comes down to personal preferences. Even if you take those "MGS has no gameplay" statements literally, it's still just an artistic decision made by developers, and somehow they found millions of people to buy their product. Whether you like it or not is down to personal preferences, and I really don't care about your personal preferences.

And that's where I go back to my original point: if games that focus heavily on story aren't your thing, you still have hundreds of quality games in which the story is an after-thought to chose from. 

What your saying is wrong, its like calling a book a movie or a movie a book. There is a reason why we put things into boxed when it can be clearly defined. Like with Dear Esther, thats not a game its a interactive story, which is the best example i can remember.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="RageQuitter69"]

RageQuitter69

Nice to see someone agree's with me, most people just accuse me of hating the games just because their popular because they can't think of anyway to defend the games flaws.

I completely agree as well. When a game favours story and style so much that it gets in the way of gameplay, it just turns me right off the game. Gameplay, level design, and challenge are the essential elements of a game. All three are exclusive to this medium and are timeless.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ReddestSkies

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] lol, so you're saying if they want a Video Game that can't even be played at all then I can't dismis that ?Jacanuk

And that's where I go back to my original point: if games that focus heavily on story aren't your thing, you still have hundreds of quality games in which the story is an after-thought to chose from. 

What your saying is wrong, its like calling a book a movie or a movie a book. There is a reason why we put things into boxed when it can be clearly defined. Like with Dear Esther, thats not a game its a interactive story, which is the best example i can remember.

This argument is incredibly stupid. A book can obviously not be a motion picture. Unless you project the book on a screen while flicking the pages or something, which would be rather inconvenient. A book, by definition, has to be printable. A movie, by definition, involves moving pictures.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lulu_Lulu

ReddestSkies

And that's where I go back to my original point: if games that focus heavily on story aren't your thing, you still have hundreds of quality games in which the story is an after-thought to choose from. 

What the hell are talking about :| ? I never said games with focus on story aren't my thing nor did I hint that it was bad. "artistic decision" ? Clearly you didn't come here for a normal discussion, let alone an Intelligent one, and my argumen't and RageQuiters has less to do with art then you make it out to be.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] lol, so you're saying if they want a Video Game that can't even be played at all then I can't dismis that ?

What's this "Dear Esther" you speak of ?

I heard it was some sort game. . . . . and thats about it.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ReddestSkies

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

Lulu_Lulu

What the hell are talking about :| ? I never said games with focus on story aren't my thing nor did I hint that it was bad. "artistic decision" ? Clearly you didn't come here for a normal discussion, let alone an Intelligent one, and my argumen't and RageQuiters has less to do with art then you make it out to be.

What are YOU talking about? The original RageQuiters "argument" is:

Of course, gaming is in a downwards spiral as all anyone cares about in games these days is the story

My answer is that this is not true, if you don't like games that focus heavily on story, there's still plenty of choices for you. Moreover, focusing heavily on story is an artistic decision and if you don't like it, it's just because of your personal preferences. English might not be my first language, but I'm 100% certain that my argument is countering his, right on topic.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"][QUOTE="firefox59"] I agree with this. Games should be games and not movies. Too many devs try to make games look sexy and go for style over substance. The consumer may not like the mechanics of a game but the devs should at least create games that you can play rather than watch.Pikminmaniac

I completely agree as well. When a game favours story and style so much that it gets in the way of gameplay, it just turns me right off the game. Gameplay, level design, and challenge are the essential elements of a game. All three are exclusive to this medium and are timeless.

It takes massive cojones to say what you just said.

Hope you got an Umbrella !

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu

ReddestSkies

What are YOU talking about? The original RageQuiters "argument" is:

Of course, gaming is in a downwards spiral as all anyone cares about in games these days is the story

My answer is that this is not true, if you don't like games that focus heavily on story, there's still plenty of choices for you. Moreover, focusing heavily on story is an artistic decision and if you don't like it, it's just because of your personal preferences. English might not be my first language, but I'm 100% certain that my argument is countering his, right on topic.

Well yeah but Typing is so hard these days so I don't think he put down exactly what He meant to say. He was just simplifying his argument in the hopes that we'd understand, he did use MGS as an examply after all (I disagree with what he said about ME2 Though), so I assumed he meant "story execution" and not story in a general sense. Granted it would've been Nice if he clarified exactly what he meant in the begining but we gotta make the most of what little he gave us.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

ReddestSkies

This argument is incredibly stupid. A book can obviously not be a motion picture. Unless you project the book on a screen while flicking the pages or something, which would be rather inconvenient. A book, by definition, has to be printable. A movie, by definition, involves moving pictures.

And i am so happy that you can see why you cant call a game without any "playable" content a game, and therefore where you went wrong in your post.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jacanuk
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] lol, so you're saying if they want a Video Game that can't even be played at all then I can't dismis that ?

Dear Esther is one of the few big scams in the "gaming industry" where its proven that you can rip of a old mod, polish it a bit and then earn a buttload of cash on it.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ReddestSkies

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"] What your saying is wrong, its like calling a book a movie or a movie a book. There is a reason why we put things into boxed when it can be clearly defined. Like with Dear Esther, thats not a game its a interactive story, which is the best example i can remember.Jacanuk

And i am so happy that you can see why you cant call a game without any "playable" content a game, and therefore where you went wrong in your post.

What I'm saying is that there is essentially no possible confusion between a movie and a book. Nobody is going to make a movie and call it a book, and vice-versa. Your argument doesn't apply to gaming, because you're looking at a video game, that people are calling a game and that is released as a video game, and you're deciding that it's not one.

Dear Esther has a lot exploration. That's a gameplay element. 

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"] Try telling people that Dear Esther is not a game :D and see what happens.

Dear Esther is one of the few big scams in the "gaming industry" where its proven that you can rip of a old mod, polish it a bit and then earn a buttload of cash on it.

Usually these types of things just wind up on Linux.