Do you think game developers need to spend more time...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mikeynz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mikeynz89
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Hi I was wondering how many of you out there feel that game developers need to pay a bit more attention to what we want to see in their games? I mean really pay attention, and not just doing a focus group or something and claiming they've done enough research on our preferences. I mean, look at the Madden Franchise, every season they bring out a game that is barely any different from the previous years effort, (apart from updated rosters and minor tweaks here or there). Many people complain about certain features not being implemented that they would love to see (an updated, more in-depth superstar mode for one), and yet they (often, but not always) make no such changes. Obviously people still go out in droves and buy Madden because, well, it is Madden! But does anyone else feel they really need to pay more attention to what features/additions we would really like to see?
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

they should? yes

they will? no

u answered yourself, you are still gonna buy it because its madden, so why waste time and money in developement if you are still gonna buy it, thats the general mindset of developers, just look a cod, they are still throwing the same effin game for the 5th time and people still but it like crazy.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Not really. I think the big problem is that publishers tell them to make their games very similar to whatever game is making the most money at any given point in time. I think developers, if left to their own devices, can make some truly fantastic games. Of course football is football - you can't change it all up and still have it be football.

Personally I've never seen fans give much useful input into what changes should be made to a game. They say "I want this" but never stop to think what all the ramifications of that change would be, and how it would screw up ten other things because it's all inter-connected.

shureshot24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 shureshot24
Member since 2009 • 319 Posts

Yes...

But gaming is an industry, and the motto that i have always been taught is..If it aint broke dont fix it...

When i went to school for game design, all my teachers told me this.. If it makes money dont waste your time on making it better.

It not neccsarly the devs fault, its the company that pays for the devs to make it. If EA wants Madden to be out every year thats not a whole lot of time to make any major changes so its hard. The gaming industry is a buissness never forget that..

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I say they listen too much to what some says they wants.

pspman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pspman1997
Member since 2011 • 77 Posts

well to me it depends on the type of game like monster hunter for example. they put in new weapons new armor new monsters updated graphics but aside from all of that the attacks can still be slow the game can be overly fustrating and the camera all of these games yet still no lock on that is one thing that makes monster hunter fans angry hopefully monster hunter portable 3rd will have lock on

NightmareCV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NightmareCV
Member since 2007 • 440 Posts
I think a little extra time is almost always to the benefit to the game. I know Madden will come up a lot on here and for good reason, but I will say this for EA, they didn't rush NBA Elite to market. They knew it was going to flop, so they gave the devs a lot more time to work on it. I'm sure it will be better as a result and might cause them to take a look at their other franchises. I'm sure a lot more people would buy Madden (talking about non buyers or every other year buyers) if they take some time to add noteworthy new features. But again, they are making money now so they'll just keep doing what they are doing.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
Madden pretty much has to be out every year so the developement time for the Madden games is extremely short. Other games have the 1.5-2 year avg of developement time which is pretty normal. To long of a dev time is a time sink and can actually hurt a game (look at too human,DNF and Rage...well not really Rage but it almost did)
brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

football is football - you can't change it all up and still have it be football.

Personally I've never seen fans give much useful input into what changes should be made to a game. They say "I want this" but never stop to think what all the ramifications of that change would be, and how it would screw up ten other things because it's all inter-connected.

Jackc8

Yea gamers are clueless as to what works & what they want. They just demand random things with very unrealistic expectations with nothing real to offer.

You ask gamers what they want form a game. Treyarch & IW always ask the fans what they wantfrom cods MP? Here's what it looks like & the reaction from the full game:

Developer- "what do you want & what dont you want?"

Gamer-"more customization, more killstreaks, better perks, more balance [keep in mind they just demanded the same game . . . . again]. Dont want vehicles or BF like gameplay

Black Ops Release day, gamer-" Screw this its the same game" [with absolutely everythinghe asked for]

Suikojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Suikojin
Member since 2005 • 333 Posts

Yeah, most gamers don't really know what to ask for. Not every game company and sort through all the garbage most fans come up with to find a winning idea. Besides, these guys get paid to come up with new stuff and sometimes they do a good job at it. But I do also feel the aggrivation of having to play the same types of games over and over, but you know what? If you don't want that, then protest by not buying the game. Then they will realize something has to change again.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Most gamers think they know what they want but not what they really want.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

When i went to school for game design, all my teachers told me this.. If it makes money dont waste your time on making it better.

shureshot24

And there in lines a fundamental failing of any industry based on creativity. You make more of the same because it makes money and we buy it because you've given us few choices.

This is why it is arguable that if you have played one FPS you've played almost all of them.The wide spread similiaritymight have somethingto do with why so manycanchat via typing with a buddy over a social media program while playing. You're playing onautopilot. Oh,feel free to change out FPS with any othergenre.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Drosa

Most gamers think they know what they want but not what they really want.

wiouds

This is probably why so many people turn away from Psychonauts when it first came out and refused to group with a Mesmer in Guild Wars when it was first released. We say we want change but when it arrives .... poof .... where did everyone go?

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Drosa

I have two things I'd like to see.

1. Stability - People like to blame hardware and software configurations. Just think about it for a minute. 2 CPU developers, 2 video card developers, really only one sound card standard. The main resources that games draw from have only a few flavors. Its hard to believe they can't really ensure a game will run decently on these parts *cough*Rage*cough*. That and I'm sick of paying $50 for a game that does not work. Imagine how much damage you might be able to do to priacy if the majority of the industry had a reputation of releasing stable games.

2. Change - Yes, change but in small doses. Psychonauts was ignored for a long time before people started to realizethat it is anawesome game. The Mesmer class in Guild Wars was original feared because it was nothing like any other RPG class. These days, the mesmer is everywhere. I would like to see developers add at least one unique element to each game. Its a small investment that could pay off really big.

robitussin217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 robitussin217
Member since 2005 • 2115 Posts

Not really. I think the big problem is that publishers tell them to make their games very similar to whatever game is making the most money at any given point in time. I think developers, if left to their own devices, can make some truly fantastic games. Of course football is football - you can't change it all up and still have it be football.

Jackc8

I 2nd.