Do you think collaborations would work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

What do you think of the idea of collaborations? In other words, two (or more) different studios come together to create something excellent.

You see this a lot in the beer industry: a California brewery will invite some Belgian brewer over, and together they'll develop a recipe, brew it, and then sell it as a nice treat for everyone.

Would this work in the video game industry?

As nice a thought as it is, I doubt it; publishers tend to be protective of their content (not to mention they own the name rights), and probably would not want to see Creative Assembly and Petroglyph come together to make some funky, cool, unique strategy game, for example.

Anyway, what developers would you like to see pair up together to make something great? Who do you think would play well together, or at least mix well together?

I'd like to see what Ubisoft could do with Star Wars, which means they'd need to team up with EA. That just sounds bad already haha...

Maybe Colossal Order (Cities: Skylines) and Firaxis (Civ, XCOM) could team up to make a "grand strategy-city builder" game. I think it would be cool to have that grand strategy feeling, but with all the intracacies and micromanagement of a city builder. Add in some more economy, military, and diplomatic options and it would be great.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

interesting question!

arkane to team up with eidos / square enix to show them how to reboot thief.

guerrilla to team up with bioware to create a new open world space rpg / action game (retire mass effect).

naughty dog to team up with ubisoft to show them it's ok to not open world all the things and create a superbly paced linear action game with ubi mechanics

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Doesn't it already work if you look at the Kingdom Hearts series for example?

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Ubisoft and Nintendo collaborated on that Mario + Rabbids game and it was great. I'd love to see more examples like this.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25

@ArchoNils2 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

No, because iirc that's one studio just using character rights of other's.

I'm talking about two or more studios working together in a more original, creative process.

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Ubisoft and Nintendo collaborated on that Mario + Rabbids game and it was great. I'd love to see more examples like this.

More like this! But even more original.

Amangarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Amangarg
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

Yes this is an amazing idea to make a better product.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@ArchoNils2 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I'm talking about two or more studios working together in a more original, creative process.

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Well there are several JRPGs that are developped by a group of different devs. If you take Hyperdimensional Neptunia for example Where Idea Factory works together with Compile Hearts

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

I'd like to see it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrbojangles25

@ArchoNils2 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@ArchoNils2 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Well there are several JRPGs that are developped by a group of different devs. If you take Hyperdimensional Neptunia for example Where Idea Factory works together with Compile Hearts

Compile Hearts is a subsidiary of Idea Factory iirc. So, same company more or less.

When I say collaboration, I mean something a bit more grand, a bit more of Earth and Mars working together, less Earth and the Moon. Maybe Bethesda working with Ubisoft to make an open-world game that doesn't get boring, or Valve working with Id to make a new game engine.

It doesn't even have to be two studios, it could be like one studio inviting a prominent developer from another company to collaborate, come up with something. Like Gabe Newell invites John Carmack to work on something at Valve, or Warren Spector being invited by Petroglyph Games to make the next great action-RTS game.

Sorry not trying to shoot down your ideas haha and to an extent you do mention some good things, I'm just looking for something a bit more distinct.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

Rimworld with Starship theory is more like it.

have the two games work together but separate.

example, kerbal space program + farm simulator...ha!

farm simulator + truck simulator.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Well there have been some already, most notably with fighting games from Capcom/SNK and Capcom/Namco. I think that Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross was a collaboration of a ‘Dream Team’ of people. I would certainly love to see more of these collaborative efforts with established franchises or new ones.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

- Square Enix + Atlus to create the greatest JRPG ever made.

- Level 5 + Capcom to make a new, less realistic Monster Hunter game based off of the anime

- Fromsoft + Midway(Warner Bros whatever) to make a new Ready 2 Rumble Boxing with extremely difficult combat which requires a significant amount of skill

- Bethesda + SuckerPunch to create a new open world IP, possible RPG, with fast paced, tightly controlled action like Infamous and depth of combat and same level of character customization as an Elder Scrolls game

Johndmgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Johndmgs
Member since 2018 • 323 Posts

@valgaav_219: It's probably not the same thing but there is actually a Monster Hunter Stories game on the 3DS.

stefanos_pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 stefanos_pan
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

It can either work and be really good, or really bad!

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Well, Trump's collaboration with russians worked very well, winning him the presidency. So why not?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25

@henrythefifth said:

Well, Trump's collaboration with russians worked very well, winning him the presidency. So why not?

Political Gamers :P

nice one, though :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Naughty Dog + Valve to finish Half Life 3. And let it be a PC PS4 exclusive.

Also I heard a while back naughty dog was interested in making a half life game.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18  Edited By Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Well Squaresoft ( now SquareEnix ) did team up with Nintendo to make Mario RPG on the SNES. Sony did team up with From to make Demon Souls and Bloodborne...

Ubisoft did team up with Nintendo to make Mario + Rabbit

Namco Bandai did team up with Studio Ghibli to make Ni No Kuni and Ni No Kuni II.

pandora123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pandora123
Member since 2018 • 9 Posts

half life 3 will never come

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

What do you think of the idea of collaborations? In other words, two (or more) different studios come together to create something excellent.

You see this a lot in the beer industry: a California brewery will invite some Belgian brewer over, and together they'll develop a recipe, brew it, and then sell it as a nice treat for everyone.

As nice a thought as it is, I doubt it; publishers tend to be protective of their content (not to mention they own the name rights), and probably would not want to see Creative Assembly and Petroglyph come together to make some funky, cool, unique strategy game, for example.

Anyway, what developers would you like to see pair up together to make something great? Who do you think would play well together, or at least mix well together?

I'd like to see what Ubisoft could do with Star Wars, which means they'd need to team up with EA. That just sounds bad already haha...

Maybe Colossal Order (Cities: Skylines) and Firaxis (Civ, XCOM) could team up to make a "grand strategy-city builder" game. I think it would be cool to have that grand strategy feeling, but with all the intracacies and micromanagement of a city builder. Add in some more economy, military, and diplomatic options and it would be great.

Hmm, I am sure that it could work if a smaller studio got a bigger player to join in on a game.

There are plenty of smaller indie studios who would benefit greatly from a big player joining in and helping out without taking over.

Not sure though it will ever happen.