Do You Suffer From "Do All Side Quests Before Completing Main Plot" Fe

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mr_toffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mr_toffee
Member since 2005 • 120 Posts

Because I sure as heck do, mostly from RPGs. As I was rifling through my backlog of games and replayed some of them (like Fallout:NV and ME2), I checked the actual playtime on one of my older saves and figured that about 2/3rds of the hours would have been cut down if I weren't so easily distracted.

Culprits include the end bit of Fallout:New Vegas; I was combing the wasteland for 10+ extra hours before the final fight just to look for extra stuff to complete, or Just Cause 2's side stuff.

Anyone else here who can't maintain that discipline of finishing a game due to this illness?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I suffer from the opposite: complete the main quest and then never play any side quest. For as much as I love Oblivion, I still have only completed one of the 4 guilds Guess I'm mostly in for the story
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Usually. I don't do a lot of the side quests that are completely uninteresting timesinks like fetch quests in The Witcher 1 and Dragon Age 2, but I do all of the others before moving on.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 JediXMan
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

Depends. I generally ignore a lot of side quests on my first playthrough. Then on the second game, I do the side quests.

But I notice myself doing the side quests on the first game more and more. That's what I did with InFamous.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

I more enjoy the main plot. I don't usually play games til they are absolutley 100%. I just play to say I beat the main plot line, though I will do side quests if there isn't a lot of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Through each of my 11 playthroughs of Morrowind, I have completed EVERY SINGLE possible side quest that can be done (bar those that can't be done because of the outcomes of other quests) and never completed the main plot lol. Made it about 3/4 of the way once but yeah, never did finish it. Still every time I start up a new game, I just go crazy on side quests.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
I absolutely do. When it comes to RPGs in particular, I'm a completionist of the 1st rank.
Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Yes, it's terribly fun though :D
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I do. I usually finish ALL sidequests in a given area before I proceed to the main quest. I learned that sort of the hard way with Oblivion where I burned through the main quest and then was left with a sour taste in my mouth afterwards.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts
not if I'm allowed to come back and finish them later, otherwise I'll try knocking them out before they're unavailable
Avatar image for phantomblade220
phantomblade220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 phantomblade220
Member since 2010 • 958 Posts

Yes yes yes yes! I was playing Final Fantasy 12 last month and was totally into it. However the "sidequest" mode kicked in. There are so many things to do in that game other than the main quest that it overwhelmedme and I'm currently taking a break lol. 55 hours into the game.

Sad thing is that I'm going through my first playthrough of Infamous. And you bet that I'm doing the sidequests before the main missions lol.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Yeah, I try to do all sidequests fearing that some kind of segment in the main plotline will stop me from playing it later.

I recently finished Ocarina of Time 3D, but since I know the outcome of the game, I did the main quest, and now I'm onto the sidequests.

MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

Depends on the game, if I'm really sucked in and have the time I will do all the side missions as I do the story, and usually before I finish the main story. Games like InFamous 1 and 2, GTA III, VC, SA, IV, Liberty and Vice City Stories, Red Dead Redemption, I have completed all side missions/stranger tasks etc. before finishing the main story.

Torchlight is one where I haven't completed it, and don't really have the time to, probably because I keep doing all the side quests, so I'd say yes, I do suffer from that. :P

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

That's what I did for ME2 (searching for planets with sidequests, fun stuff right there) and is why I havn't really gotten around to beating oblivion since I don't want to shut the oblivion gates before going through them all.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
I do the side-quests for a different reason - for the XPs, because I want to level-up as much as I can. I've played many a game where I skipped some of them.
EXEraserVS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EXEraserVS
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
Yes, I do. For RPGs though, I tend to do them so I can level up and be prepared for the more difficult levels later on. I also do them to stretch out a game's length so I can clock in more hours and hopefully get my money's worth.
gameking5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 gameking5000
Member since 2007 • 1360 Posts

I have the same problem especially in MMOs.

I always worry that if I do the main quest something will suddenly happen and I can't go back and do the side quests. It's probably because of WoW's new 'phasing' mechanic.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Yah and in a game like Obvlivion it can totally drag the game out eeeeeeek
pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts

with the gta games im like that

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Yep. Anyone who reads my blog can tell you, it takes me forever to finish a game. Why? Because I am typically playing 3-4 deep RPGs at a time, whilst messing around the whole damn time exploring, doing side quests, and trying to get the best gear, I've often got at least triple the main quests worth of hours into the game by the time I "finish" it. For really big games I may even go through the process several times with different characters resulting in hundreds and hundreds of hours being poured into the RPGs that I play.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Yeah, I complete EVERY side quests when I play RPG games no matter how tedious or boring.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

It depends on how good the game and how rewarding the sidequests. I don't usually do that though

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Oh yeah, I'm terrible with that lol. I'm playing Nier, and for a while I forgot what the main quest was because I was so busy doing sidequests. I like to do some trophy hunting, and getting a plat will quite often require you to complete every sidequest (though with Nier you only have to do 30 out of about 70 total). I also like to level everything up to rather absurd levels just to make sure I'm prepared for the next boss fight :lol:

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

If I like the game usually it will end up that way.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Yeah I usually do all the sidequests in a game unless they become obnoxiously long or tedious, i am not above dropping something that is boring me.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I do all the side quests.

I get the collectables when I see them, but I don't go out of my way for them.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#27 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
definitely, main quests are for suckers. I'd much rather wander off and find other things to do. Its why the Elder Scrolls games have kept me busy for so long.
ethelwiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ethelwiss
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Due to me being a trophy hunter i dont have much of a choice but depending on the game sometimes i enjoy it and some others not, for example while playing just cause2 i just wanted to finish asap because it became too repetitive on the other hand i really liked the final fantasy xiii mark quests which not only were fun but also very rewarding. if it was up to me i would complete 50% of the side quests if the game becomes boring or 100% if every quest is something fresh
doll94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 doll94
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts
depends.. sometimes I do sometimes I dont. Im currently replaying Assassins creed 2 on 360 (played it on ps3 before) and I am doing every single side quest possible.. the game is going to take me an absolute age to finish. Other times though I will just stick to storyline missions.. guess it just depends how I feel at the time of playing.
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

It depends. f I'm really enjoying the game then I'll want to experience everything I can, all side quests, items etc, but if it's not holding my attention too well then I'll just finish the main story.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#31 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Yeah, I tend to do that. I did it alot with the Mass Effect series.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#32 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
Yes. Any time I play a game with side quests I feel the need to complete them all before I can move on. The only problem with this is that sometimes it will cause me to become bored with a game and eventually I'll just stop playing it. Now I try to play a game through normally and then go back for the side quests.
Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#33 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

If the game allows it I usually try to explore the world to see just how big it is and all the neat landscapes. I hate corridor RPGs like Dragon Age which are linear and force you down the path they set. Games like the original Ultima were the best for dropping you in the world and letting you do what you wanted. I played Ultima 7 for months just exploring the world without even knowing what the main quest was.

The other thing is once you get into the "main" quests I find they're very underwhelming. Except for Morrowind & Oblivion. Now those were MAIN quests that had an epic feel.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
unless the game is the type where you cant go back and do the side quests after beating the main story missions ( Fallout 3's standard game is one such game where you couldnt go back after beating the story) then i tend to just do side quests as i go and go back to ones i missed after
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts
Yes. A 160h+ save in Oblivion IV with an Imperial that's leader of all the guilds and champion of the arena is proof.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#36 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I am suffering from the same thing as well. But with a little twist. The very first time i play an RPG for example, i would finish the main quest first (along with a couple of easy side missions). The second time i play the game i finish everything else before the main quest.

SilverSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SilverSignal
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts
I do. I have to complete as many side quests as I can before finishing the main story because if I don't it just feels like I've rushed through it. I love exploring in games so finding people to help and mini quests to do along the way is much more fun for me.
DoctorMozG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DoctorMozG
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts

To be honest if it's not games like Mass Effect i don't deal with side quests! Just the main story line.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

Definitely

TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts
Indeed, I am a horrific completionist.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

Because I sure as heck do, mostly from RPGs. As I was rifling through my backlog of games and replayed some of them (like Fallout:NV and ME2), I checked the actual playtime on one of my older saves and figured that about 2/3rds of the hours would have been cut down if I weren't so easily distracted.

Culprits include the end bit of Fallout:New Vegas; I was combing the wasteland for 10+ extra hours before the final fight just to look for extra stuff to complete, or Just Cause 2's side stuff.

Anyone else here who can't maintain that discipline of finishing a game due to this illness?

mr_toffee

I do it on purpose, a habit from older games that didn't tell u or make it obvious that you were about to enter the end game. So I always do all teh side-quests I can before working at the main mission so I don't accidently move the story along and block myself from doing those side-quests at all. and it helps in leveling for the main quest. but if a games good enough for em to do lal that, i'm sure ass hell finishing it!

examples: Mass Effect, Fallout, GTA, Dragon Age

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#42 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Yeah, I totally do all the sidequests first. If I don't, I worry that I'm not as powerful as I could have been.
MasonLovak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MasonLovak
Member since 2011 • 741 Posts
Usually when i play fallout/oblivion I'll complete most/all of the side-quests before the main story.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#44 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
I try though I do not always succed. I will even restart if I am not satisfied with how I did things or know I missed something.
Benmaskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Benmaskin
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

It depends on my mood. Currently I'm playing The Witcher 2 and really want to see how the story progresses. The side quests seems like time sinks.

M13L13S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 M13L13S
Member since 2010 • 3819 Posts
I try to complete as many side quests as I can before I move on. I get very sunk into game worlds and so I feel like I need to finish all the sidequests just for dialogue and also for leveling purposes. Besides if I didn't, how could I mold my character into the complete and utter **** I love playing as?There just usually as many chances in the main quests to slaughter innocent people or blackmail them and I can't miss out on those evil opportunities.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

i do, sometimes i ene restart the game to finish them

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

For the most part I'm like this, although not as much as I was a few years ago. I'll do any sidequest that's not completely tedious or unrewarding. In particular, repeated backtracking through areas with weak enemies will almost always cause me to drop a sidequest.

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

i tried that with oblivion but after i put 100+ hours trying to do all the side quests (DLC included) i gave up and finished the main storyline,

Lucky for me since i was level 30 i was facing all super hyped monsters,

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
To be honest, I'm quite the opposite, just like Black_Knight_00. I do like doing side missions, but only if they are fun. Take GTA games for example - do extra missions that feel like missions, I will do those. But when you have to find 100 hidden packages - forget it :P. Although I have to admit, this has changed a bit recently with achievements... I can't help it. I still got 92% (I think) on San Andreas, and I was happy with that :).