Do you still think GTA V is better than GTA IV?

• 71 results
#52 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4779 posts) -

Just recently popped in 4 and couldn't get into it.

#53 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (25234 posts) -

GTA V is the only GTA game I played and only because it has a first-person view. The storyline was okay enough. But, there isn't much to do afterwards except piss off the cops. I found out the best two ways to shake off cops are 1. Knowing where the tunnels are and 2. Ride a train (the ones that travel around the island). Both are easy ways to shake off the cops during 5-star chases.

In short, GTA V is the only choice available to me.

I don't look for realistic physics in GTA V because I already play a number of flight sims which have far better physics and damage models.

#54 Posted by robert_sparkes (2957 posts) -

I liked 4 at the time but 5 blew it out of the water. 5 was better in every way story characters online there's no going back after playing it.

#55 Posted by Archangel3371 (27601 posts) -

Old thread is old.

#56 Posted by Speeny (1519 posts) -

Even though the thread is old & will be locked. Yeah, I prefer V.

#57 Edited by Gaming-Planet (19922 posts) -

I remember IV over V.

I liked the story, the atmosphere, the city life. There were much more interior places to go as well.

I'm probably in the minority when I say I prefer GTA 3 over Vice City.

#58 Posted by BitDelight (7 posts) -

Mods solve some issues GTA V has. But then again GTA IV isn't perfect either. It had horrible vehicle handling and something with colors... it just looked bland, cold and fuzzy.

#59 Posted by coolkid93 (6746 posts) -

Don't get me wrong, V is indeed off the chain BUUUUUT I find myself liking IV better than V.

#60 Posted by GNS (318 posts) -

@bitdelight said:

Mods solve some issues GTA V has. But then again GTA IV isn't perfect either. It had horrible vehicle handling and something with colors... it just looked bland, cold and fuzzy.

IDK, vehicles were just fine for me, but unarmed fighting, oh boy...

#61 Edited by msmith80 (3 posts) -

@Diddies: At last I found someone of like mind :)

#62 Posted by henrythefifth (2254 posts) -

GTAV had weak story, poor characters and too easy missions. Gameplay was fun and polished, and the map superb. But the lack of story, the boring main characters and way too easy to pass missions made it feel lot weaker game than GTAIV.

#63 Posted by uninspiredcup (32832 posts) -

GTA IV has good DLC, and the game design lacked the bloat of some entries, namely SA.

#64 Edited by Zuon (312 posts) -

I have always preferred GTA IV over GTA V.

GTA IV's map was all city, but with different feeling districts, interiors, shops, activities (bowling, comedy clubs, restaurants, etc.). GTA V's map is huge and varied, but the only 2 places worth visiting, in my opinion, are Los Santos and maybe Sandy Shores.

The story and characters in GTA IV were more grounded, and less one-note. Mallory was unfaithful, but still loved Roman. Packie is overprotective of his sister, but is eventually willing to let Niko into her life. Brucie acts like a heterosexual dudebro, but no one will never know for sure. And Dwayne... He's seen enough of the criminal life and just wants to take it easy, and he's a reliable friend should you need one. Yeah, GTA IV is still a parody of American Life, but GTA V is a parody of a parody. IV is to a Tarantino or a Mel Brooks parody, as V is to a long Saturday Night Live sketch. There's no subtlety in V.

The friendship/dating mechanic in IV is hit or miss. You either love it or hate it, but I welcome it, as it gives the game some depth and personality.

As others have said before me, the feel of the City is also more lifelike in IV than V. The pedestrians, traffic, etc. are just much more dynamic. In V, every pedestrian, and every character, even, is just a passive agressive, modern-American jerk. Ragdoll physics, and physics in general is very impressive in IV, while in V they feel like an afterthought. And I may be one of the few who prefer the heavy car handling in IV, even if pressing a direction to flip the car was a great addition to V.

I do give praise to V for revamping the checkpoint system and adding a skip feature if a single mission is ticking you off from having you replay it over and over due to cheap deaths. I hate Three Leaf Clover in IV for this reason.

And don't get me started on how all content being added for GTA Online has no reason not to just be single player DLC for GTA V.

But overall, I just feel GTA IV's Liberty City is just the place I would rather spend my time in instead of Los Santos.

#65 Posted by robert_sparkes (2957 posts) -

I enjoyed both but the characters in 5 won it for me. The way the integrated the 3 characters into the story was brilliantly done.

#66 Posted by blackfiragas (29 posts) -

Absolutely. Gta IV was the biggest letdown for me, while GTA V is my favorite game of all time.

#67 Posted by Justinps2hero (2281 posts) -

GTA 4 was ground breaking, but just didn't have the fun of the other games with driving round and causing chaos. It wanted to be taken too seriously, and because of that, I found it boring. San Andreas was amazing, but return to it now and its nearly unplayable.

GTA V really is a masterpiece that will age incredibly well.

My question is, why o why don't they give us an expansion with the same map, we'd be chucking money at them for it!

#68 Posted by warmblur (2175 posts) -

@Justinps2hero said:

GTA 4 was ground breaking, but just didn't have the fun of the other games with driving round and causing chaos. It wanted to be taken too seriously, and because of that, I found it boring. San Andreas was amazing, but return to it now and its nearly unplayable.

GTA V really is a masterpiece that will age incredibly well.

My question is, why o why don't they give us an expansion with the same map, we'd be chucking money at them for it!

Easy answer they make more money on GTA online then they would on a expansion it sucks I know.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#69 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (21515 posts) -

I saw that video before and yeah it's inexcusable how much of a step backwards GTAV was in the AI routines. The mobile phone clip is the most egregious example.

#70 Edited by omegaMaster (1230 posts) -

GTA V > GTA IV.

I found the single player in GTA V far more enjoyable than IV.

Multiplayer is an interesting one. GTA IV has way better free roaming compared to GTA V. You can pick up weapons anywhere in GTA IV unlike GTA V multiplayer.

#71 Posted by VagrantSnow (273 posts) -

Could never get into GTA 5 to be honest. I hated the 3 character thing they had in singleplayer and multiplayer was a snoozefest. GTA 4 wasn't great either but I still enjoyed playing through the story and its multiplayer was a lot better organised.