Do you still think GTA V is better than GTA IV?

• 71 results
#1 Posted by bfa1509 (1058 posts) -

In the months after GTA Vs release in 2013 I had argued relentlessly at how much more fun GTA IV was. As you can imagine, this created outrage amongst all those whose favorite game is whatever they were playing at that time (which, of course, was GTA V). People thought I was crazy and trolling etc.

Now that the novelty of GTA V has pretty much worn off. Lets see if people still think the same thing. The reason I resurrect this arguement is because of this video released recently which has sparked multiple arguements/retaliations online in which GTA V does not seem to be faring too well:

What do you think?

#2 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (18709 posts) -

I still think V is the better game... I just could never get in to IV. But San Andreas & Vice City have both of them beat.

#3 Posted by mastermetal777 (3228 posts) -

I enjoyed 5 way more than 4. Still do.

#4 Posted by Kruiz_Bathory (4765 posts) -

I'd just like to see a remake of Vice City and San Andreas with everything both IV and V had. Those two were just meh I can't bring myself to finish V.

#5 Edited by DaVillain- (36106 posts) -

Let's be real here, GTA IV was a huge step backs from San Andreas crazy stuff that it had, GTA IV didn't had all that crazy stuff you can do but GTA V made everything up from GTA IV. If there were ever proper application of the term Ludonarrative Dissonance its for GTA IV. I can not give ANY shits about Niko when he kills tons of people after lamenting his horrible past. He never tried to change. And his actions in the missions don't reflect his regretful attitude in story scenes. Well to make it short, I think everything gameplay related is vastly superior in GTA V and considering it took me 13 days to beat the story back on PS3, (Got the PC version last year) GTA V simply dwarfs GTA IV in terms of size and variety of environments/activities.

#6 Edited by mark1974 (4261 posts) -

San Andreas would be the best if it wasn't for the hardware limitations and the wonky driving. That is one game I wouldn't mind seeing a remaster of. But to answer your question I like V better than IV and think it's the best overall package to date. But Red Dead Redemption is the best thing RockStar has ever done.

#7 Posted by Jacanuk (18283 posts) -

@bfa1509: I never thought GTA V was better than GTA IV.

coming from GTA SA to GTA IV was like going from a Gremlin to a Ferrari and sure, much of the craziness in GTA SA was gone and replaced with a much more adult style humour and gameplay. But that was what so great about GTA IV. The story was the best written in any GTA game. and with the DLC it just became even better and each DLC made the game feel like new again.

GTA V on the other hand has probably one of the worst stories in any GTA game and the idea with 3 protagonists was good on the planning board but in execution it was terrible and the whole game lacked under the need to fill 3 characters shoes. So sure you can do a bunch of crazy things, but compared to SA you could not even do a 1/10 , where GTA SA had truck, fire, police, ambulance missions, character customization, food, dancing, dating and more, GTA V have 1 hunting mission and random encounters and the same 3 types of mission when you buy properties.

And even GTA online lacks under lack of content and under not coming with enough of the one thing that makes it awesome, Heists.

But with that said GTA V is a great game and is better than 99% of the other shit being released and when you see shit like overwatch, Rainbow Six Siege and MP only cash-grabs. You begin to understand why Rockstar did cut some content, the poor kids today has the attention span of a goldfish.

Oh, and that video is old. it may have been uploaded again or got it´s 2nd wind. but i think i saw it a few weeks after the PC release.

#8 Posted by Berserker1_5 (1967 posts) -

Upgrade the graphics on iV to V and it's a much better game

Personally I'm from the Balkan areas so seeing a guy from there (Serbian) was cool.

#9 Posted by Macutchi (6699 posts) -

i thought iv was a step in the right direction after the jack of all trades master of none, glorified driving game that was san andreas. the more cinematic, gritty and story driven style of iv was at first a nice momentum shift but as @davillain- says (i've never heard the term Ludonarrative Dissonance before but it's a great fit here) there were obvious contradictions between niko's motivation for leaving yugoslavia and what he did when he arrived in the us, which tarnished his credibility.

i think r* learnt from iv and got the balance between gritty and story driven and over the top craziness just right with the ballad of gay tony which became the blueprint that gta v was built upon. i loved the three character system and the ability to switch between them. trevor was brilliant. the story and pacing were very well done and it was great to see them not repeat the same mistakes that ubisoft make time after time by cutting out a lot of the filler shit and focus on polishing the important stuff. i never felt at any point like there was a lack of things to do.

gta iv played an important part in the evolution of the series, (as did bogt) but gta v for me is easily the best out of the two games. as for the video in the op i watched the first five mins and all i saw was small differences in melee combat, npc aggressiveness and other minute details so gave up

#10 Edited by poe13 (727 posts) -

I didn't read everyone's comments so I don't know if I'm saying things here that others said, but honestly, yeah I preferred GTA IV in the end. Both games are great, and V obviously has the better graphics and wonkier story with Trevor going crazy and Lamar with the cool gangbanging reminding me of the times of San Andreas, but after the story is done in V, there are races, collecting shit (I did the letters and the alien pieces and I'm never going to do it again), tennis, golf, bike racing, I think rally racing in the country area, and a few assassination missions. Oh and of course the online stuff, which has always sucked in my opinion (Without having a group of friends to do GTA V, online is dealing with assholes for the most part). Now I know that sounds like a lot that GTA V has on IV, and it is to be fair, but I miss the Most Wanted missions where I would hop in a police car and go to a thug's hideout and wipe out all of the henchmen to kill the leader. I know it doesn't exactly fit in V's story, but I would appreciate a mode where I could just fight other gangs over turf (maybe give us a chance to play as Lamar who wants to stay in the hood?).

Basically, I just want more violent things to do than the very little we are given in V. After the story ends there is some rampage missions, like 5 assassination missions, and maybe some other things like an incident where you're driving the taxi and you have to get out and kill some thugs (might be a stranger mission, I forgot). GTA IV was filled with violence and less of the tennis, golf, biking, running, and other Sims-like stuff. I get that they were trying to be different, but I just want more violence and IV satisfied me more than V in that regard.

#11 Edited by Treflis (13621 posts) -

I think both is pretty solid, but out of the two I still think GTA V is more entertaining then GTA IV.

Irregardless of the better smaller details it may have over GTA V.

#12 Edited by bfa1509 (1058 posts) -

It seems most people focus on the story and the characters when deciding which is their favorite. I, frankly, don't care about the story. I care about which game is more fun, which game doesn't need a story or quest or activity. And that game is without doubt GTA IV. The physics, combat, driving mechanics of GTA IV were just amazingly fun. GTA V tried to be more of a simulator and failed miserably. I could keep going for a long time on why I thought GTA IV was better but one thing stood out with GTA IV above all else: Liberty City had a soul.

GTA V was a big expansive hollow world. When walking through the streets, it felt like everybody had already gone home. I guess this was a good thing because I didn't care one bit for any of the characters, npcs or pedestrians. They were all shallow and annoying. I can't even remember what the story was about. Such small little things irritated me in GTA V: Cops were way too aggressive. Crash physics was dull and unremarkable. As you can see from 4:30 onwards in the video the cops don't even care, they just bump into the back of your car. Even if you are at full speed down a highway in a Cheetah they can still bump into you from behind.

The video hits the nail on the head on why GTA IV was better.

#13 Posted by Archangel3371 (27601 posts) -

I thought GTAIV was fantastic and it was my favourite game in the franchise until I played GTAV on the Xbox One. Now I think GTAV is my favourite as I found it to be an even better game.

#14 Posted by Macutchi (6699 posts) -

@bfa1509 said:

It seems most people focus on the story and the characters when deciding which is their favorite. I, frankly, don't care about the story. I care about which game is more fun, which game doesn't need a story or quest or activity. And that game is without doubt GTA IV. The physics, combat, driving mechanics of GTA IV were just amazingly fun. GTA V tried to be more of a simulator and failed miserably. I could keep going for a long time on why I thought GTA IV was better but one thing stood out with GTA IV above all else: Liberty City had a soul.

GTA V was a big expansive hollow world. When walking through the streets, it felt like everybody had already gone home. I guess this was a good thing because I didn't care one bit for any of the characters, npcs or pedestrians. They were all shallow and annoying. I can't even remember what the story was about. Such small little things irritated me in GTA V: Cops were way too aggressive. Crash physics was dull and unremarkable. As you can see from 4:30 onwards in the video the cops don't even care, they just bump into the back of your car. Even if you are at full speed down a highway in a Cheetah they can still bump into you from behind.

your first paragraph starts off with you saying that you don't judge the games on their story or characters because you don't care about them, then your second paragraph starts with you moaning at how little you liked the story and characters in v. make your mind up.

"The physics, combat, driving mechanics of GTA IV were just amazingly fun" - does that mean that they aren't fun in gta v? the combat is hardly exemplary for either games. moving in and out of sticky cover in iv was fiddly as f*ck but refined and smoothed out a little more in v. and i don't know what you mean about gta v being more of a simulator and it "fails miserably." if anything i'd say that the driving in iv was more of a simulator style than the arcade-y feel v had to it. flying aircraft was easy too.

i agree about the cops being way too aggressive in v. that was one of the biggest annoyances of the game particularly as you say that no matter what car you were in and how fast you were going they would still be able to catch you and ram into the back of you. i think that's a legitimate complaint. but beyond that the rest of your criticisms aren't backed up with much in the way of substance beyond your own personal biases and a noticeable reluctance to acknowledge anything good about v

#15 Edited by bfa1509 (1058 posts) -

@Macutchi said:
@bfa1509 said:

your first paragraph starts off with you saying that you don't judge the games on their story or characters because you don't care about them, then your second paragraph starts with you moaning at how little you liked the story and characters in v. make your mind up.

"The physics, combat, driving mechanics of GTA IV were just amazingly fun" - does that mean that they aren't fun in gta v? the combat is hardly exemplary for either games. moving in and out of sticky cover in iv was fiddly as f*ck but refined and smoothed out a little more in v. and i don't know what you mean about gta v being more of a simulator and it "fails miserably." if anything i'd say that the driving in iv was more of a simulator style than the arcade-y feel v had to it. flying aircraft was easy too.

i agree about the cops being way too aggressive in v. that was one of the biggest annoyances of the game particularly as you say that no matter what car you were in and how fast you were going they would still be able to catch you and ram into the back of you. i think that's a legitimate complaint. but beyond that the rest of your criticisms aren't backed up with much in the way of substance beyond your own personal biases and a noticeable reluctance to acknowledge anything good about v

Just because I don't care for stories in games does not mean I surrender my right to an opinion of the story or it's characters.

The physics, combat, driving mechanics of GTA V were nowhere near as fun as in GTA IV. You have to watch passed the first 5 minutes of the video to see the reasons why. It just looks like the effort wasn't put into GTA V in comparison and it really showed while playing.

You agree with me on the over aggressive cops. Isn't this an unforgivable mistake especially in a GTA game? It was certainly game ruining for me.

I suggest you watch the whole video.

#16 Posted by Macutchi (6699 posts) -

@bfa1509: i loved gta iv i still have fond memories of picking up the midnight release and spending all night on it with my mate. i thought it was a great step forward after san andreas. i remember wrestling with the pc version for about 3 hours just to get the thing working when that first launched and loved playing it all over again. so i'm not saying that the game isn't great and that you're wrong for preferring iv to v. it's just that v is a very good game too, brought a lot of new stuff to the table, had a great three stranded story that allowed you to seamlessly switch between three very well done characters and a lot of fun missions and extras and your failure to acknowledge anything good about v whatsoever is what prompted me to respond. i take comparisons / criticisms of games more seriously when there's a degree of fairness / objectivity to them

#17 Edited by MirkoS77 (14062 posts) -

Both IV and V are stale and boring.

#18 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5073 posts) -

@bfa1509:

Yup, GTA V is still better. GTA IV missions sucked, the story was the only good aspect out of it. But you hardly had anything else to do for fun compared to GTA V. GTA V is the better package in general.

#19 Posted by soul_starter (1376 posts) -

@killered3:

Agreed with that!

V is a massive play ground, brimming with things to do, although I preferred GTA IV onlines more basic approach. Having said that, Vice City and San Andreas are still superior games. And I don't say that because of nostalgia, they genuinely are.

#20 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14922 posts) -

I haven't played GTA V yet (plan to pick it up later this year) but I liked GTA 4 the most. I liked the way it was more realistic and grounded compared to previous games in the series but hardcore fans hated it for that reason.

I never liked how a street tier gangster could fly jet fighters in previous GTA games and I didn't like their cartoony art style either. Not to mention the gunplay, which was a lot better in GTA 4. From what I can tell, GTA V is more over the top compared to GTA 4 (I could be wrong though). We'll see how it turns out later this year for me.

#21 Posted by Macutchi (6699 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

I haven't played GTA V yet (plan to pick it up later this year) but I liked GTA 4 the most. I liked the way it was more realistic and grounded compared to previous games in the series but hardcore fans hated it for that reason.

I never liked how a street tier gangster could fly jet fighters in previous GTA games and I didn't like their cartoony art style either. Not to mention the gunplay, which was a lot better in GTA 4. From what I can tell, GTA V is more over the top compared to GTA 4 (I could be wrong though). We'll see how it turns out later this year for me.

i preferred iv over sa for the same reasons and a few others. gta v was more over the top than iv but more inline with the ballad of gay tony than san andreas. as far as appropriation of skills go you have trevor a drug runner whose talent is flying planes which he uses to get drugs over the border, franklin as a car salesman is skilled in car racing and michael as the ex gangster / bank robber in firearms so its more plausible. a lot of the mechanics improved plus they introduced some new ones which helped glue the general gameplay together.

as much as iv was great, it wasn't without its problems (let's ignore the hanging out with friends fiasco) the main of which was its plot imo. it suffered from similar problems to san andreas in it had the build up of a potentially excellent story that was let down by being stretched far too thin and a protagonist that lacked authenticity. most of the game was spent building up to finding florian which turned out to be one huge anti-climax and niko never really seemed to progress from small time immigrant thug into anything more significant. no matter which increasingly prominent mobster he worked for he was always just a glorified errand boy and he had little to nothing to show for his troubles (even in vice city you could buy businesses and property). maybe it was some kind of ironic point about the fallacy of america being the land of opportunity, i don't know, but it felt like a missed opportunity. the game made amends to some degree with the final few missions but it was too little too late. at least with v there was a coherent story with an interesting and plausible beginning, middle and end

#22 Posted by csward (2134 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I still think V is the better game... I just could never get in to IV. But San Andreas & Vice City have both of them beat.

This.

#23 Posted by spike6958 (6701 posts) -

I think V is better, but then I personally think IV is a steaming pile of dog vomit.

#24 Edited by with_teeth26 (9480 posts) -

def enjoyed V more than IV, especially since the PC version of IV ran like ass and V was fairly well optimized.

V also had modern features like checkpoints during missions that made it way more enjoyable.

#25 Posted by bfa1509 (1058 posts) -

@Macutchi said:

@bfa1509: i loved gta iv i still have fond memories of picking up the midnight release and spending all night on it with my mate. i thought it was a great step forward after san andreas. i remember wrestling with the pc version for about 3 hours just to get the thing working when that first launched and loved playing it all over again. so i'm not saying that the game isn't great and that you're wrong for preferring iv to v. it's just that v is a very good game too, brought a lot of new stuff to the table, had a great three stranded story that allowed you to seamlessly switch between three very well done characters and a lot of fun missions and extras and your failure to acknowledge anything good about v whatsoever is what prompted me to respond. i take comparisons / criticisms of games more seriously when there's a degree of fairness / objectivity to them

It's not that there isn't anything good about it. I did find some of the missions thrilling (the first real gun fight as Franklin with a shotgun at night in the warehouse comes to mind). I also liked how you could verbally taunt people. It was probably the best game released that year. Three things, small to most people but significant for me, ruined it. The cops, the epileptic seizure inducing flash on every kill and most importantly the complete lack of a soul.

In GTA IV the city was alive. The streets were bustling with what felt like thousands of different personalities. In GTA V I just felt alone in the world.

#26 Posted by wildaries (499 posts) -

on my 50 inch 4k tv it looks kinda like ass....they need to do some more work on it I think....but the map is massive and it don't slow down like bf4 did when everyone blow sht up online...I hope with neo they add 1440p to gta 5 that be nice....

to be fair here it depends on the size of you tv in looks...if you have a 32 then it 720 class it look fine..if you have a 42 then that's 1080 class and it look decent enough but if your on a 50-55 then that's entry 4K region and depending on where you sit and if you have a 4K tv and sit at the right distance like I do then it upscale and look like ass.....well maybe not ass but you see bends where there should be curves like in the strip club....

I think with most people they sit far back so it look fine...most even sit so far back they could not even tell 720 from 1080....

where you sit matters a HUGE amount and I know for a fact most people cant tell the difference between 720 and 1080 if it when not for the input menu number in the tv.....

yea it matters that much so when you trash a game for 900 vs 1080 most of you cant see any difference...there a chart on most HDTV sites that tell you where you need to sit vs tv size and resolution.

I would like 1440p in this game....and some work done on it and get rid of glitchers too.....game glitchers should get a PSN ip ban for life.

ban those modded accounts too and they easy to ban as they have a level that's not normal.....PSN should have a 3 strike rule...get caught cheating 3 times on any game or games and you done for life.ip ban with super cookie....be real hard to work around that.

#27 Posted by Macutchi (6699 posts) -

@bfa1509 said:
@Macutchi said:

The streets were bustling with what felt like thousands of different personalities. In GTA V I just felt alone in the world.

i do know what you mean there. i think the working class, run down neighbourhoods and industrial centres gave it that gritty realistic feeling. gta v lacked those although it made up with it to some extent with the variety in settings and locations, some of which were really stunning and impressive in their detail

#28 Posted by Vaidream45 (1851 posts) -

4 was my least favorite of the main games. I much prefer 2, 3, VC, and 5

#29 Posted by Sepewrath (30101 posts) -

I've yet to play GTA V, the GTA games just never do it for me. It was a struggle for me to finish GTA IV.

#30 Edited by Yams1980 (3439 posts) -

MirkoS77 said:

Both IV and V are stale and boring.

^ this.

But GTA 4 is more boring. GTA 5 is a bit better but not by much. I'd like a game like San Andreas to come back, it wasn't too serious and i've played it a few times over, i really liked almost every mission and thing in the game. Vice City was excellent also, all the characters are really funny in the game.

I've really moved onto Saints Row more now though, its so much more entertaining.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#31 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13578 posts) -

Gta 4 had a better story and characters, but 5 had better mechanics and more variety.

#32 Posted by SoNin360 (7071 posts) -

I think IV got more hate than it deserved, but GTA V was a big improvement in many ways. I'm not much of a fan of its Online, but it's not like I really bothered with GTA IV's online so I don't really take that into consideration.

#33 Posted by heljar (107 posts) -

I like GTAV better. I found it more interesting to switch between 3 different characters and it had a much bigger map to explore that IV. I didn't play online on either so I wouldn't know the difference there.

#34 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9730 posts) -

GTA is a lot more fun to me when you have things to spend your money on. Otherwise, what is the point of making it? To me, IV fell flat in that area. Once you had all of the guns, the only other thing you could buy was clothing. In V, you can invest millions of dollars in properties. This gives incentive to try to maximize returns from the assassination missions and actually do some of the flying missions for Trevor that pay out $7k.

That alone makes 5 the better game to me. Add on top of that the better characters, the heist missions that you actually get to choose the approach on, the flying missions that are actually fun, and the bigger world, and I think 5 is easily better.

#35 Posted by heguain (1416 posts) -

I like GTA IV and probably going to like GTA V as well, rest of games are meh to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
#37 Posted by deactivated-57d773aa56272 (2292 posts) -

I don't agree. I think GTA 4 was better than GTA 5.

#38 Posted by Todd (21 posts) -

IV had so much opportunity and threw it away. Maybe they were more focused on the graphics and world? Regardless, I really enjoyed how they changed the dynamics and had you interacting with three characters.

#39 Posted by hillelslovak (12935 posts) -

GTA V's ai was a gigantic step back from IV. In IV, people had a dynamic range of things they would do in different situations. In V, when the pc goes up to a group of people on the street, they get angry and walk away. There is no variety in the ai, and the cop ai being absolutely AWFUL in comparison heightens the crappiness. GTA V also was a huge step back in the melee combat. GTA IV had counters, different types of blows that could be delivered, and it felt way more visceral. In V, it's mash the right trigger, punch punch belly kick and theyre out.

Experimenting with the IV ai was what I spent a huge chunk of my time doing in that game. After I beat GTA V's story, there was no appeal to keep playing at all.

#40 Posted by kuasha786 (289 posts) -

@bfa1509: To me both GTA 4 and 5 are almost equally good however I will put through 4 over 5 in terms of fun and entertainment. GTA 5 is a bit complicated.

#41 Posted by bfa1509 (1058 posts) -

@hillelslovak said:

GTA V's ai was a gigantic step back from IV. In IV, people had a dynamic range of things they would do in different situations. In V, when the pc goes up to a group of people on the street, they get angry and walk away. There is no variety in the ai, and the cop ai being absolutely AWFUL in comparison heightens the crappiness. GTA V also was a huge step back in the melee combat. GTA IV had counters, different types of blows that could be delivered, and it felt way more visceral. In V, it's mash the right trigger, punch punch belly kick and theyre out.

Experimenting with the IV ai was what I spent a huge chunk of my time doing in that game. After I beat GTA V's story, there was no appeal to keep playing at all.

+1 on this. I completely agree.

#42 Posted by serialkisser (297 posts) -

GTA IV is the worst GTA game in my books, it cut so much content from the previous GTA games and added very little. I remember doing different things in San Andreas for hours and hours while i mostly went through gta iv main story straight away because it had nothing much fun side missions to do (beside going bowling with Roman).

GTA V although not nearly as good as GTA San Andreas for its time is a far better game then IV in every aspect. Niko and Roman story was fun but that's about it.

#43 Posted by cainetao11 (36500 posts) -

4 was the first one I got the feeling R* were a little unsure of themselves. I am still one of the few that praises 4 and can still go back and play it. Being a NYer helps LOL. But 5 really took the ball and ran with it imo.

#44 Posted by physixthegreat (1 posts) -
@mark1974 said:

San Andreas would be the best if it wasn't for the hardware limitations and the wonky driving. That is one game I wouldn't mind seeing a remaster of. But to answer your question I like V better than IV and think it's the best overall package to date. But Red Dead Redemption is the best thing RockStar has ever done.

Well, there is a remaster of San Andreas for PS4

Avatar image for adingoatemybaby
#45 Posted by ADingoAteMyBaby (39 posts) -

I consider IV to be the worst GTA, even the 2D games on the PS1 are better. The sluggish controls, movement, mixed in with the boring map and dead atmosphere. Nikko was also a dull protagonist.

#46 Posted by warmblur (2175 posts) -

I love both games but 5 is the better one but 4 has it's strengths like physics melee combat and better radio in my opinion.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#47 Posted by storm_of_swords (2749 posts) -

GTA V is better than GTA IV, but I thought that both of them were pretty disappointing. Vice City is still by far the best in the series.

#48 Posted by GMAK2442 (954 posts) -

GTA 5 is a good evolution over the 4. I was a big fan of the 4 and found the 5 much better.

Normal.

#49 Edited by Sandan (1 posts) -

For everyone who think that GTA IV is worse than V and RDR is better than both of them you're a pathetic and selfish.Without GTA IV you can't see first RDR.GTA IV has innovative physics which was castrated in GTA V(which i love but it's fact) for better perfomance.But i don't get why such elements as combat,AI(especially cops) was downgraded.And story...The Heat,Brother 2 and face of russian actor Vladimir Mashkov.Great influence for game which has become more serious.And no SA and Vice aren't better not even close in story.And for dumbasses GTA V is SA 2.0(as much as every absurdic stories of GTA which tried to be Tarantino style).GTA IV has changed industry and only dumb persons think that it's the worst GTA.GTA IV became the same thing as GTA 3 in 2001.Revolutionary game.The same was with RDR 2.SA,Vice and unfortunatelly GTA V are evolutionary games but not better.And last statements.Cops.Only in GTA 4 they were awesome.They did police turn,try to surround you.

And Lost & Damned's story is better than any GTA

#50 Posted by Diddies (2384 posts) -

SA>V>III>IV>VC