Do you see video games as the future dominating form of entertainment?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gedo
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts

I just realised, I almost stopped watching movies. I have been gaming for 18 years, since I was 5. Even though I was playing a lot more as a child (sometimes 8-10 hours per day) I never thought that this was my absolute form of entertainment. I still watched movies, had tons of VCR tapes and got more than 1000s of movies, series, shows, plays you name it.

Now, I am drawn more to games with an intriguing storyline, games like: metal gear, heavenly sword, uncharted and resident evil 5. Games thatI feel have a deep story and that I can do something about it, not just watch and see how the storyline goes.

I noticed I go less and less to the movies, buy less and less dvds or don't watch movies at all, well at least movies that really mattered to me like (the dark knight or watchmen). Is this something common or is it just me?

gameoverr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gameoverr2004
Member since 2009 • 42 Posts
it depends on your mind... what do you think? and its common... to almost all.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I think TV and cinema will always be the dominating form on entertainment, cause after all, it does appeal to everyone.

jasperrussell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 jasperrussell
Member since 2005 • 1960 Posts

no, all those stoopid facebook things like mob wars, horoscope match, TV trivia challenge etc will be the future dominating form of entertainment!!!!!!!!

AAArrrrgghghh!!!!!!

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I think movies and TV will always be dominating because they're much more accessible. Think about it, books often offer a deeper experience, more length, more description, etc. They also require a bit more effort than TV or movies. TV and movies, on the other hand, are very short, are good for some quick escapism, and require little effort. To me, video games are the visual equivalent of books, they're much more detailed, longer, in-depth, etc. Anyone can sit down and watch a movie, but reading a book or playing video games requires that you dedicate a certain amount of time to them that is most likely longer than three hours, and work towards your information instead of having it fed to you.

Eyad-93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#6 Eyad-93
Member since 2009 • 717 Posts
yeah, I think Video games will dominate the future entertainment.
stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Films are dead, books are boring and games you play along with can be far more entertaining then both put together if your playing a really good game, unfortunately devs aren't very good at making anything very original so I reckon it will pretty much just stay the same until something big happens, like a new console with some special feature...as games get on though things seem to be getting worse. The future of games is good, but people often compare the consoles of today with previous gen consoles, they don't seem to understand now that consoles have more on them the new consoles won't die as quickly as the old ones like PS1 and N64, they will be around for a lot longer.
Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

I think video games will have more influence and more 'recruits' ( so to speak ) to seeing it as a form of entertainment, but I don't think it'll dominate the movieand tv industry. It's already dominating books as entertainment though, in my opinion... :? I mean used to love reading and it was my habit to always read pages from a book before heading to sleep. But now it's become my habit to play a game on my DS before turning off the light and sleeping.

no, all those stoopid facebook things like mob wars, horoscope match, TV trivia challenge etc will be the future dominating form of entertainment!!!!!!!!

AAArrrrgghghh!!!!!!

jasperrussell

lol!

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts

I think movies and TV will always be dominating because they're much more accessible. Think about it, books often offer a deeper experience, more length, more description, etc. They also require a bit more effort than TV or movies. TV and movies, on the other hand, are very short, are good for some quick escapism, and require little effort. To me, video games are the visual equivalent of books, they're much more detailed, longer, in-depth, etc. Anyone can sit down and watch a movie, but reading a book or playing video games requires that you dedicate a certain amount of time to them that is most likely longer than three hours, and work towards your information instead of having it fed to you.

theone86
What he said. TV and movies are much more accessible. You don't have to know how to read or learn to use a controller.
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
its definately a possibility. i think its just now starting to make a huge name for itself. so anything can happen.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#12 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

No. Books, Movies, TV and Music will always be much more accessible than videogames.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#14 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

No. Books, Movies, TV and Music will always be much more accessible than videogames.

SEANMCAD

ok, although I agree that books are more accessible than video games its just that books are not actually accessed as much as video games.

I think its less about accessiblity and more about accessing.

The fact that they are more accessible and much cheaper to produce means books will continue to be more accessed. You need considerable amounts of money to be a gamer. All you need is a book to read something.

Especially as you go to poorer countries, you'll find that books are much more accessed than games are or ever will be.

ReubenFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ReubenFTW
Member since 2008 • 174 Posts

I doubt it, i can see them getting bigger but movies/games/books are very different forms of entertainment / narrative form that one will never really eclipse the others.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#17 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

No, Sex robots will dominate future entertainment buisness.

And human race will be extinct soon after that.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#18 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Same here Gedo. I was a movie watching fiend. I'd get the VHS tapes left and right. Then when DVDs hit I'd get all those too. But, I really believe movies are on the decline and now there borrowing from video games more and more. I mean with crap movies like observe and report, I love you, man and all the other drivel it's amazingly bad. It's almost like any script can pass for a movie nowdays. Sad really:( bring on the video games!

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Films are dead, books are boring and games you play along with can be far more entertaining then both put together if your playing a really good game, unfortunately devs aren't very good at making anything very original so I reckon it will pretty much just stay the same until something big happens, like a new console with some special feature...as games get on though things seem to be getting worse. The future of games is good, but people often compare the consoles of today with previous gen consoles, they don't seem to understand now that consoles have more on them the new consoles won't die as quickly as the old ones like PS1 and N64, they will be around for a lot longer.stike22

That right there completely turns me off to anything that follows it. How are films dead? Are you talking simply mainstream, because there are some very exceptional mainstream films if you know where to look. Go off mainstream and into the indie scene and I gaurantee you will fond something that fits your tastes. If the only films you have exposure to are Terminator and College Road Trip, then yes film is dead, but if you really look, then I'd say it's more alive than it was for all of the 80's and 90's. And books are boring? I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

SerbWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 SerbWarrior
Member since 2009 • 459 Posts

Games are alredy a dominating form of entertainment ;)

I dont even watch my TV anymore ;)

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
That would be common for a gamer. Gamers seem to notice that the quality of movies overall is going downhill while games are getting obvious improvements. If anything, it's just a better time to be a gamer these days.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gunswordfist
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

Futurama called, it wants its joke back. lol
Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

I think entertainment will continue to evolve and branch out in unforeseeable ways in the future.

To answer your question more specifically, I don't see video games becoming the dominant form of entertainment. It requires effort and concentration in larger quantities than most people are willing to apply. Laziness is the order of the day, and thus TV and other forms of less interactive entertainment will always dominate.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#26 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

gunswordfist

I actually never watched Futurama....

and it wasn't a joke.

gedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gedo
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

[QUOTE="gunswordfist"][QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

and it wasn't a joke.

Well if we're going to be extinct by sex robots please Lord let them be femals.
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#28 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

T.V has been killed by commercials,if you watch T.V for one hour, then you've probably watched around 20 minutes of adverts/commercials..Personally I don't watch it. I only use my T.V for gaming or watching D.V.D's..The gaming industry is already bigger than the music industry, greedy individuals like Simon Cowal have destroyed it.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

I don't think so.

matenmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#30 matenmoe
Member since 2004 • 1238 Posts

Not when my wife has bought some new lingerie, or as long as there's a lake with Trout jumping in it somewhere....

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i could imagine games surpassing movies in popularity, but i dont see it happening with tv shows (or whatever form they take once tv's and computers become one in the same). tv is just so basic and effortless. you have no high scores to work at andno enemies trying to beat you. you just sit and get fed information.

cooldude1888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#32 cooldude1888
Member since 2008 • 363 Posts

I suppose virtual reality consoles could change the future of entertainment in years to come. Not at the moment though.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
What do you mean by future? Video games already are the dominating form of entertaiment, just by profits alone, the video game industry have revenues bigger that movies and music conbined. I'm growing tired of TV each passing day except for a few shows and as for movies, I rent a DVD maybe once ever other week. Gaming is my main source of entertaiment, that and reading books which I actually enjoy.
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DecadesOfGaming

Not when my wife has bought some new lingerie, or as long as there's a lake with Trout jumping in it somewhere....

matenmoe

Has she still got the little black silkie number ? That's my favourite.. Only joking.:)

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gunswordfist
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

[QUOTE="gunswordfist"][QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

and it wasn't a joke.

This HAS to be sarcasm. lol
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#36 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
[QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]

Games are alredy a dominating form of entertainment ;)

I know it's currently greater than music and DVD sales.
matenmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#37 matenmoe
Member since 2004 • 1238 Posts

[QUOTE="matenmoe"]

DecadesOfGaming

Has she still got the little black silkie number ? That's my favourite.. Only joking.:)

OOOO !! Wicked,naughty fellow! :lol:

Actually the black one was mine-you'll recall :shock: JOKING ALSO!!!:lol:

Now this is getting entertaining!

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gunswordfist
Oh man, you guys are SICK! lol
Avatar image for jamacian_zombie
jamacian_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jamacian_zombie
Member since 2008 • 310 Posts

Yup, because they involve all forms of entertainment.

DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DecadesOfGaming

[QUOTE="DecadesOfGaming"]

[QUOTE="matenmoe"]

matenmoe

OOOO !! Wicked,naughty fellow! :lol:

lol

Actually the black one was mine-you'll recall :shock: JOKING ALSO!!!:lol:

Now this is getting entertaining!