Do you really miss F-Zero series?

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#1 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1113 posts) -

Hello Nintendo, F-Zero and futuristic racing fans!

It's nearly about 15 years without new F-Zero game since after the release of F-Zero Climax for Gameboy Advance back in 2004.

After I played on some F-Zero stages in Super Smash Bros Ultimate for Nintendo Switch, this makes me really wished Nintendo to start developing on their next F-Zero game or remake.

Also do you think I should buy Fast RMX for Switch?

#2 Posted by pyro1245 (4697 posts) -

I like the old F-Zero games.

Can't say I miss them in a world where Redout exists tho

#3 Edited by DaVillain- (34965 posts) -

All the time. Nintendo just don't give a damn about F-Zero series anymore.

#4 Edited by henrythefifth (2139 posts) -

Nope. I've played few of them and found them really crude compared to pretty much any other racing franchise.

Give me another Extreme-G. Now those games were super cool and great to play too!

#5 Posted by Planeforger (17954 posts) -

I didn't particularly like F-Zero or F-Zero X. They were both clunky, kind of ugly games.

Still, F-Zero GX's brutally hard campaign mode was brilliant. Probably the most fun I've ever had in a racing game. I'd like more of that, please.

#6 Edited by robert_sparkes (2574 posts) -

The more it stays away the less I think about the series. It's sad that Nintendo have basically binned the series. Fast racing neo on Wii u was a spiritual successor that some say was very good. The switch would be a great console for a new f zero though.

#7 Posted by Shmiity (6246 posts) -

I never gave a shit about this franchise. I dont get it at all. Why is captain falcon even a thing

#8 Posted by Speeny (1267 posts) -

I did like the one GameCube game I played back in the day. F-Zero GX. But, personally the games don’t have anything to offer ME as a gamer.

So many racing games have seemed to surpass the franchise now. I can even think of so many racing games on websites like Miniclip that took inspiration from F-Zero and made it better. Just my opinion though. It would of been phenomenal for its time.

#9 Posted by judaspete (2834 posts) -

Yes very much. Though part of me thinks it may be better they leave the series alone, because there are so many misguided things they could do that would make it worse than GX.

F-Zero GX is my favorite game of all time.

#10 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1113 posts) -

@judaspete: Yep, every fans have been expecting a new installment since back in DS and Wii days.

We also expected new F-Zero installment to come onto 3DS and Wii U but never happened, so if there is a new installment for F-Zero on Switch even if is not as good as GX but still I want to buy it anyways.

#11 Posted by Litchie (23284 posts) -

Been waiting since GX on GameCube. I have no faith in that we'll see another for Switch, and I don't have any faith that Nintendo understands why GX was as good as it was.

Franchise is probably doomed.

#12 Edited by Sevenizz (3177 posts) -

I liked the SNES original, but when Sega was given the task of rebooting the franchise for the GameCube man, it became a horrendous mess. I believe the N64 has a sequel, but I recall it as being forgettable.

#13 Edited by judaspete (2834 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

I liked the SNES original, but when Sega was given the task of rebooting the franchise for the GameCube man, it became a horrendous mess. I believe the N64 has a sequel, but I recall it as being forgettable.

F-Zero X on the N64 is actually great. People knock it for having a low polygon count and simple textures, but that was done so the game could run at a smooth 60fps. I actually like how it looks with the old-school graphics running at a high frame-rate.

But most importantly, it has none of the weird stuff from GX. No convoluted story-mode, no terrible cut-scenes, no awkward interview at the end of the race. To be clear, I love GX despite all that stuff, but X has a simple purity which I also appreciate.

#14 Posted by Sevenizz (3177 posts) -

@judaspete: Good for you. I didn’t like them.

#16 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1113 posts) -

@annettelol said:

I hated it owo

Too hard for you lol?

In each futuristic racing game, you better master your driving/piloting skills so you would of loved it.

#17 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1113 posts) -

@Litchie said:

Been waiting since GX on GameCube. I have no faith in that we'll see another for Switch, and I don't have any faith that Nintendo understands why GX was as good as it was.

To me, Nintendo should remake F-Zero GX for Switch with additional content including vehicles and tracks from previous games like F-Zero X, Maximum Velocity, etc.

#18 Posted by Litchie (23284 posts) -
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@Litchie said:

To me, Nintendo should remake F-Zero GX for Switch with additional content including vehicles and tracks from previous games like F-Zero X, Maximum Velocity, etc.

That would be great. But Nintendo don't want to do games if they can't have a new gimmick with it. So it wont happen, sadly. They said themselves that there's nothing more they can bring to the series. The fact that the fans just wants more F-Zero, not necessarily something completely new, Nintendo doesn't give a shit about.

I personally just want something that plays like GX, maybe with a few new tracks, vehicles and perhaps some tracks from the older games. It's not like it's hard for Nintendo to do that, but they wont.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#19 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9167 posts) -

Thankfully GX hasn't aged so I can go back to that at anytime and have fun. And I do still have fun with the original F-Zero as well. I do wish we would get a new game, but am not upset at every direct/e3 that Nintendo doesn't announce a new one.

I'd say give Fast RMX a shot, but don't expect it to be a F-Zero replacement. It feels more like Wipeout mixed with Ikaruga because of the whole color thing to me,

#20 Edited by l34052 (3885 posts) -

F Zero on the N64 in multiplayer was some of the most fun me and my friends ever had in gaming and even all these years later we still laugh about it.

The random course generator was a leveller ensuring no one had any course advantage so things would get highly competitive between us.

I miss those days, modern gaming where you talk to a faceless opponent through a mic just can't compare to a big group of friends sitting around together smoking and laughing at each other.