sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

Depends on game. If the game tell me a great story of course I made efforts to get deeper into the lore and read everything.

If those games is like Dark Souls or those walking simulator where item descriptions and guesswork is the main method of understanding the story I say fk it and go watch youtube videos later to understand the lore. I really don't want to deal with bullshit. Really poor with inventory management and don't want to spend my time there looking for clues there.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

For the most part yeah I’ll usually read all the extra in game text stuff in the games I play to get a better sense of the lore and storytelling. In some games like The Elder Scrolls or Fallout I’ll skim through some of the text stuff like from books you find and such but even then I’ll look for them to try and find any bits that I might find interesting.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#4 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yep, most of the time. Don't want to miss anything that could become important.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I will read the first few. To see what they're like. Some have hints or codes.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

Sometimes: depends on the game and what kind of mood i'm in.

I once popped into a library in Vivec in Morrowind and started reading the books for ages. There was loads of books from the history of various places to made up tales. Don't know why...just got a bit absorbed in it.

At the moment i am playing Doom 2016 and Pillars 2 and i tend to real the background lore in those before i end a playing session.

I always find it a very elegant way for games to tell their story or flesh it out: have it in background text that you can read at your leisure (or ignore if you don't care). It's much nicer than spoon feeding it to you in long drawn out cutscenes.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

Nah, if I'm playing a game my intent is to 'play' the game. Unless it's part a puzzle, progression tool.

Plus one of my hobbies is studying poetry; so if I actually wanted to read something. I would at least read something well written with an insightful meaning.

Not poorly written sword-lore for how a king lost his castle for the billionth time.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Yes. It was very disappointing when Splinter Cell: Panderos Tomorrow effectively removed all the text info from sachets. The enemies suddently go from feeling like characters in a plot to hollow AI.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Usually yes as long as it doesn't take too long. I loved reading every bit of lore and detail in Mass Effect's Codex. On the other hand, I skipped the majority of books in Skyrim. There were so many of them.