Do you prefer to play classic games on their original consoles or HD remasters/remakes on modern systems?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Could of made this a poll but can’t be bothered now.

I guess this is a nostalgia based question more than anything. Maybe even focused more on the retro side of things too.

For me, I played FF7 for the first time in 2019 on PC. Sure, it was a great experience but playing it on the original PS1 would have been even better. Especially back when it first came out.

The startup screen, memory cards, etc. Did it take away my enjoyment playing it in a more modern way? Of course not.

ulfrinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 ulfrinn
Member since 2019 • 158 Posts

No, memory cards didn't take from anything. At least, not until your memory card corrupted and needed to be reformatted. But when the game was fresh, the graphics were new, FF7 was one of the best games ever made. I do not know the specifics on the remake but there is no way the remake will have the same effect now, as the original had then. Not even all the graphics in the world can bring back that experience.

Honestly, this highlights a disturbing trend I've noticed a lot in gaming over the last 10 years and that's developmental laziness. Nobody can come up with a good story. Nobody can come up an engaging and exciting style of gameplay anymore so we end up with complete trash, like Fallout games, and a bunch of remakes where much of that was already done decades ago by much better people. Games today are sold on graphics, and between the original Final Fantasy 7, and the new one, all they're selling you is graphics.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Depends, if those remasters have updated graphics and modern configuration/perks I rather play on HD console but, if its anything like PS2 on PS4 titles I rather play it on ps2 an crt tv. Those PS2 games looks horrible on 4K and Sony didnt bother to give option to smooth any jagged edges and scanline shaders.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Yeah it really depends. I mean, Age of Empires 2, give me the latest HD version or whatever. If we're talking a port of some game that was on the DS, of course the DS version is likely better if it took advantage of the system's features a lot.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Generally I prefer to play the updated HD version unless the quality is poor.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Emulators if the HD remaster isn't available on current hardware.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

As a few have mentioned, it varies. We've had bad remasters/ ports, and remakes that are very different to the original game.

Resident Evil Remake, Oceania of Time 3DS and Shadow of the Colossus PS4 are all excellent examples of updating the original games. Taking an already beloved game and refining the hell out of it. To the point they're the definitive editions of those games. Playing the older versions is simply playing the inferior version at this point.

Now games such as the recent Resident Evil 2 Remake, Tomb Raider 2013, D00M 2016 are all re-imagined takes on those stories/ concept. Most updating with progress the genre(s) have made through technical and mechanical refinement. Some for better, some for 'streamlining' the franchise. Take your pick.

And remasters/ ports usually matters how faithful the port is treated. And if they add/ change to make it for the better. Silent Hill Collection for example was not the right way to experience those games, and missed out some of what many the fans would consider essentials from the series. While something like Odin Sphere is an absolute delight, because it was treated with care.

@ulfrinn said: this highlights a disturbing trend I've noticed a lot in gaming over the last 10 years and that's developmental laziness. Nobody can come up with a good story. Nobody can come up an engaging and exciting style of gameplay anymore so we end up with complete trash, like Fallout games

Think the problem more lies that you think Fall Out is the example of engaging gameplay. Plenty of amazing games are made frequently outside the remake pit. You just need to stop supporting lazy publishers that have only sunk to new lows. Venture out to developers that are actually making great games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58949 Posts

Depends on the game. Typically 3D games cleaned up look nice, but pixel art with digital mobile phone art, no thanks, bro!

As for the actual platform itself, eh, can just plug a replica USB pad in.

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

To an extent it depends on the cost of the original game and if the HD remaster has a lot of benefit. For example, I could care less whether I'm playing Crash Bandicoot Warped on the PS1 or the Insane trilogy version on the PS4/Switch. But If I had to chose between playing pokemon Red or Firered, then I prefer playing as Firered as I can play as a girl trainer. I like my choice to play as a guy or girl character

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It depends - I generally prefer the original hardware, but some games have aged really poorly (visually and/or controlwise) and in those cases I'm interested in remasters/remakes. At the end of the day I just want to have fun, and the nostalgia/purism contributes to that but it's not a firm "must"

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

As a fan of retro gaming im more into the og hardware but there is a place for remakes and remasters. It's good for the younger gamers who missed out first time around.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

Both

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

If the remake can offer advantages such as upgraded graphics, 16:9 ratio and cheat mode (yes, I love those).