Do you prefer play MMO alone or as a member of guild?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Senergy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Senergy
Member since 2018 • 49 Posts

I prefer to play with other gamers. It’s very fun and you can see more content I think. When you are alone, you lose a lot of interesting experience, your progress is far more slowly. Finally, it’s much harder to find the help. But I know players who prefer to play alone. I love playing WoW, LAII, Guild Wars 2 in guild. I love multiplayer guilds. When a new MMO starts you can try to play it with your friends from guild (for example I played Bless Online, PUBG, Fortnite, I’m going to play Conqueror's Blade soon and I think I’ll play many games in future).

What about you? Tell me about your experience.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11655 Posts

Every MMO I've played is from a franchise that shouldn't have been dumbed down to MMO tropes-

Dragon's Dogma Online, Monster Hunter: Frontier G, and The Elder Scrolls Online.

All three are completely trash and a disservice being tagged with the brands name. They're watered down experiences containing all the known flaws of MMO games, and rarely any of the positives in these established franchises.

I'm probably one of the few here that never gave games like World Warcraft and Guild Wars a chance because the MMOs I've played already put me off the genre. No matter how much I tried to find some enjoyment.

Senergy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Senergy

@RSM-HQ: Why don't you try to play not franchise MMO?

Btw maybe it isn't your genre of video games... it's normal I think.

feed_the_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 feed_the_cat
Member since 2018 • 31 Posts

@senergy:

For me it's better play in guild. U can get some benefits from clan halls, and stable team for raids and other activities.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ

@senergy: Probably because they're designed to be time sinks.

I played those three because friends encouraged me to try them. I'm a huge Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma fan so that's a driving force ontop of the former.

And while I can agree it's not my kind of genre just being honest when I had no fun with these games; was always told "that's standard MMO" which doesn't encourage me to look more into the genre. If someone can find fun with them? that's fine. And hope they get enjoyment out of it. But for me it just wasn't ever an enjoyable experience in the three I not only tried but sunk hours just to see if it'll click.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

Guild, for sure.

It's nice just being able to talk to the same group of people as you quest, whether solo or not, and it's great having a pool of people to go into dungeons with before PUG'ing it.

Also, what's the point of a MASSIVELY multiplayer game if you're playing it alone? They're social games, good to socialize.

Senergy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Senergy

@RSM-HQ: A lot of people play MMO games because of their friends play too. It will improve your relationships if you play together in the same games which you love (both of you! It's important). I believe it. You just can try to play different games if you want. You can try different genres. Maybe you would like battle royale. Maybe you love only single video games. It's a part of your personality.

@mrbojangles25: I think the same way. But I really know persons who prefer to play alone in MMO, not in single player games. It's strange but it's a fact.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

Every MMO I've played is from a franchise that shouldn't have been dumbed down to MMO tropes-

Dragon's Dogma Online, Monster Hunter: Frontier G, and The Elder Scrolls Online.

All three are completely trash and a disservice being tagged with the brands name. They're watered down experiences containing all the known flaws of MMO games, and rarely any of the positives in these established franchises.

I'm probably one of the few here that never gave games like World Warcraft and Guild Wars a chance because the MMOs I've played already put me off the genre. No matter how much I tried to find some enjoyment.

Yeah, this is a good point. The line of what qualifies as an MMO has blurred a lot over the years. Personally, I'm not into the "traditional" WoW-like MMO because I just don't have the time to commit to it. Multiplayer games like that are designed to work better for play with friends and groups, and that's a better experience if you have a known group of friends or online contacts you can play with. Some of these games are easily wrecked by playing with bad players, so if you play with randoms every time there's no guarantee you'll have gotten a good time out of your play time. This even applies to non-MMOs that are heavily team-based like Left 4 Dead.

Personally, I like a game where you can successfully solo. I solo-ed my way through almost all of SWTOR at launch and I enjoyed it, but I lost interest in the end-game raids because they forced grouping (as they should, I just wasn't interested). Elite Dangerous is a great example of an MMO that you can completely single play. You even have the option of literally playing by yourself in the same universe that's influenced by the actions of all the other players.

-Byshop

Chalpie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chalpie
Member since 2018 • 9 Posts

I prefer playing solo, but guild is always a nice thing to be a part of.

I choose guilds that are not pvp oriented, the ones which are mainly for social interactions and some inside competition. I find it more motivating to compete with fellow guild members and it makes some grinding much easier while you are sharing thoughts with others.

tldr; solo player, guilds are beneficial even for me

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RSM-HQ

@senergy: It's not as though I don't enjoy multiplayer games quite the opposite, just the things I disliked in those MMO games and being told that's how standard MMO RPGs work. Can across as harsh because of personal experience, cannot vouch for MMO games I've never played. Only what I've heard and read. Anyway doesn't seem for me, and hope I don't offend anyone who likes these aspects in games.

Like what you like and more respect to someone who enjoys it.

@Byshop said:

Yeah, this is a good point. The line of what qualifies as an MMO has blurred a lot over the years. Personally, I'm not into the "traditional" WoW-like MMO because I just don't have the time to commit to it. Multiplayer games like that are designed to work better for play with friends and groups, and that's a better experience if you have a known group of friends or online contacts you can play with. Some of these games are easily wrecked by playing with bad players, so if you play with randoms every time there's no guarantee you'll have gotten a good time out of your play time. This even applies to non-MMOs that are heavily team-based like Left 4 Dead.

Personally, I like a game where you can successfully solo. I solo-ed my way through almost all of SWTOR at launch and I enjoyed it, but I lost interest in the end-game raids because they forced grouping (as they should, I just wasn't interested). Elite Dangerous is a great example of an MMO that you can completely single play. You even have the option of literally playing by yourself in the same universe that's influenced by the actions of all the other players.

-Byshop

While I see what you wrote (and I'm a big fan of Elite: Dangerous also) it's less about multiplayer and the known MMO template of rules in these worlds. By time sinker the ones I've played are huge in scale filled with insanely reused assets , for the sole purpose of wasting players time. It takes far too long getting from A-to-B for the sole intent of padding a games length. I know why MMOs do this, they want you to stick with the game as long as possible, my thought is always 'at what cost to quality'

I love multiplayer, it's the main reason I play Monster Hunter, but when playing an MMO with the same name. It plays very different, how they handle combat, immersion breaking, and pacing is very different. All because it's more structured as the World of Warcraft like games. I don't hate the genre, I just can't personally find any love in them.

I play a lot of multiplayer games. Love Elite: Dangerous for the peaceful coldness of space, it was my relaxing game for almost a year. And have no issue people enjoying MMO games. Just can't like the latter due to preference. It's difficult playing a game that insists in wasting time, while constantly demands one sticks around for every moment case you miss that big event.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

it depends on how into the content I am. Guilds basically mean replaying a lot of stuff that you don't necessarily need yourself at that moment - doing multiple raids a week, helping someone through something, etc. And while this is nice to have, if you're at the point in your relationship with the game where you don't have as much patience and kind of just want to do your thing for the day and get out, it can be draining. So i tend to guild up early on, but as I'm getting bored with the game I tend to avoid guilds. It makes it harder for me to do some content, but I feel like if I'm not willing to spend the time helping others with their stuff, I can't very well ask others to help me.

Senergy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Senergy

@chalpie: It's very cool when you grinding together and have to interesting conversations! I like these moments.

@RSM-HQ said:

@senergy: It's not as though I don't enjoy multiplayer games quite the opposite, just the things I disliked in those MMO games and being told that's how standard MMO RPGs work. Just isn't for me, and hope I don't offend anyone who likes these aspects in games.

Like what you like and more respect to someone who enjoys it.

Oh, I was wrong, sorry. I hope that I understand you now. Does it mean you play in other MMOs (not MMORPGs)?

@Ish_basic: I agree that playing with guilds take a lot of your time. Not all people have enough time for this. But you can ask others for help you I think. You can play MMO with some friends for example (not guilds). You can do only things you need.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RSM-HQ

@senergy: Monster Hunter has pretty awesome multiplayer (if we ignore the MMO games), also play a few Online Shooters, Skirmish in RTS games, Fighters, and some games with PvP scenes like Dark Souls. Probably play more Multiplayer than Single Player thinking about it_

Yet I never linked it with MMOs, MMO does stand for Massively Multiplayer Online, but I think it's also become its own genre and has certain tropes.

Suppose what makes a game MMO is very debateable now because its history and legacy. However I don't think something like Battle Royale, despite being Mass Multiplayer, is classed as MMO. It's still a Death Match mode just with a different set of rules and much larger maps. When I think of MMO it's a genre for filling up a Player-bases time so they don't play something else.

Majority of MMOs are known to keep people interested with one new sexy armor set at a 0.5% chance of looting, or 100 dungeons that all work/ look the same. Ontop of what I've noted previously. I'm sure some standout MMOs don't follow many these tropes, or at least respect players a little more, but all it takes is a handful of bad experiences to put people off a genre for good. When they could be playing a genre more catered to personal taste.

garandhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 garandhero
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

Being in a guild is way better in a lot of ways and over time you become really good bros with the rest of your guild core unless you're a casual xD

Best times... getting realm firsts with guild in wow BC/WotLK

Dolzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dolzen
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

For me it's better play alone :(

DethByChick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DethByChick
Member since 2018 • 10 Posts

I don't play MMOs very often, but when I did, I played alone. For a little while I was able to convince my sister to play ArchAge with me but we kind of lost interest.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#16 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I no longer play any MMO games, but when I did I played WoW and FF IV. I always preferred to play alone, which is a big reason why I quit playing these games. I was always a member in a guild, but damn that is just way too much work and I never enjoyed it really.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 sakaiXx  Online
Member since 2013 • 15870 Posts

MMO is best played with friends. Had so much fun with my friends back in the day. I still remember we stuck at LVL 30 - 40 for weeks due to we play F2P games and didn't buy any exp boosters. Created a guild only 8 of us and joining guild wars that we lose every time because we always got beaten by that one guy who buys the best equipment. The Max level in that game is LVL200 btw. Shit MMO but damn the fun I had was immeasurable.

Senergy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Senergy

@RSM-HQ: I understand. Thanks for your explaining! As for Battle Royale I don't think this is absolutely new mode. Of course I remember about Death Match and Last Men Standing modes. Battle Royale is a mix of these and some else modes.

@garandhero: Even if you are a casual, you can improve your skills in a good guild. I believe it! Of course it depends on rules of a guild. Guilds sometimes invite only good gamers.

@dolzen: Why? Do you love play alone?

@dethbychick: It is quite hard playing with guild if you play rarely.

@Blueresident87: I think it is possible to find MMO which allow you play alone. There were wrong games for your preference.

@sakaixx: Sounds very fun! What it was? Which MMO?