Do you play games with a bad score?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GerardoExber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GerardoExber
Member since 2013 • 128 Posts

Example: If you're a fan of the Resident Evil Series, will you play Re6 after the bad critics it got? Or you just play the game to find out if it is good or not by yourself?

My Answer: I don't rely that much on critics anymore, I just play the game and that's it.

Thanks for Reading/Answering.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

I ignore reviewers these days.
90% of reviewers are getting early copies, free stuff, $$$, in return for a higher rating, or are heavily biased.
Like if a reviewer loves Halo, and everything about Halo, He's going to give all the Halos a higher rating simply because it's "The best series ever!"

I can usually tell if I'll enjoy a game after watching a bit of gameplay and some objective info on the game.

PS. This is the wrong forum for gaming questions.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Mario Party games always get mediocre scores and I love playing it.

GerardoExber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GerardoExber

@Nibroc420 said:

I ignore reviewers these days.

90% of reviewers are getting early copies, free stuff, $$$, in return for a higher rating, or are heavily biased.

Like if a reviewer loves Halo, and everything about Halo, He's going to give all the Halos a higher rating simply because it's "The best series ever!"

I can usually tell if I'll enjoy a game after watching a bit of gameplay and some objective info on the game.

PS. This is the wrong forum for gaming questions.

Thanks, I moved this to another forum, I'm new here with posting in Forums, sorry.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

It's hard to find games with truly bad overall scores. There's many games with mixed reviews, and that usually doesn't bother me if I'm interested enough in the game anyway. But I did play Duke Nukem Forever despite its low reviews, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, not that it was a good game of course. Then there's Heavy Fire: Afghanistan, a crappy Move-focused shooter I rented out of boredom, and that was bad. I still have The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct on my list of games to play, despite its horrible reviews. I'm not sure if I should do that to myself, but I doubt I'll hate it as much as the critics did, not that I'll probably enjoy it a whole lot either.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yes.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I won't lie, bad word of mouth or a consistently bad reviews can put me off of buying a game right away. But if it's something I really wanted to try, I will still pick it up and try it later on when it's cheaper. And when I say consistent, I mean the scores have to be overwhelmingly low to affect my purchasing decision.

Evil Genius didn't score well and I put 60 or 70 hours into that game. Heck Mercenaries 2: World in Flames and The Saboteur didn't score super good and those are two of my favorite games from the 7th gen consoles.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

well, there's plenty of debate on what constitutes a bad score

anyhow, if I didn't go against reviews I'd never have enjoyed games like Dead Island, Deadly Premonition, Lost Planet 2, or Resident Evil 6, Metroid Other M, Metro 2033

I mean just look at a game and see if it interests you, scores shouldn't matter, read the substance of reviews to see if there's any deal breaking issues, but other than that it's gonna be a mixed bag, either you'll discover that you agree with the bad review or you might find that despite it's flaws the games are a lot of fun

seems most times I'll enjoy a bad scoring game that interests me anyways more than I won't like it, and more often it seems I get burned with a shit game that got good/great reviews than I am taking a risk on a game that got bad reviews

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@GerardoExber What is a bad score to you?

I played RE6 and ended up enjoying it despite what most people were saying about it.

For me lately I have been playing games that didn't score high but still enjoy. Binary domain, The Saboteur to name a few. I probably enjoy those than I would ever playing a highly rated call of duty game.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@GerardoExber said:

Example: If you're a fan of the Resident Evil Series, will you play Re6 after the bad critics it got? Or you just play the game to find out if it is good or not by yourself?

My Answer: I don't rely that much on critics anymore, I just play the game and that's it.

Thanks for Reading/Answering.

Why would anyone let a score decide if they like a game or not? do these people also make sure to check with the neighbours or friends/colleagues what to wear or what to eat?

So no of course i dont let anyone decide anything for me, if i like a game i like it no matter what the stock up arrogant critics think :)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i get game from 6 and above if i like what i see, i get loads of games that only get 7

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Yes, because I believe that in order to truly understand what a good game is, one must also experience what bad game is.

Also, bad games are a much more interesting conversation piece than good ones. People love to laugh at bad game design. Schadenfreude.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#13 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Play Trinity Souls of Zill O'll. It has low scores, but is still a very impressive game. I don't know what it was, but I felt immense nostalgia when i played through it.

Some reviews are ridiculous, others are spot on. Rent games before you buy, or demo.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I'll get a game if I think I'll like it whether it scored well or not

GerardoExber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GerardoExber

@marcheegsr: Games under 6

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@good_sk8er7 said:

I'll get a game if I think I'll like it whether it scored well or not

Yeah same. Knack is a good example recently... getting average reviews at best, but I'm really loving it.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17  Edited By ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

I play whatever game I want, as I don't care what the so called professional reviewers or what other gamers say. If it is a game that I think that I will like I will get it and play it.

I have played games that I thought that were good that reviewers and gamers thought were bad, and I have played games that I thought were bad that reviewers and gamers thought were good.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

there are a shitload of games with bad scores but i loved em, fu%&§ review scores

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

All the time.

I don't care what critics say and play what I think I would enjoy.

PyreofKoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 112

User Lists: 4

#20 PyreofKoL
Member since 2005 • 6059 Posts

A few. The one that comes to mind first is Gotcha Force (GameCube). The game got a 5/10 from GS but it really was a lot of fun. It was repetitive but the sheer number of collectable borgs and the insane multiplayer made it worthwhile. I'd love to see another Gotcha Force come stateside for the Wii U with online multiplayer and the ability to trade borgs and borg pieces.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Millions think mcdonalds has good food.

Millions think duck dynasty is great television.

Millions think tom cruise is an amazing actor.

Millions think Michael bay movies are great cinema.

Millions think that black eyed peas have great music.

I don't agree with any of them. So why the hell would I care what one persons review score is for a game? That score means as much to me as if some random guy ran up in the street and said "batman arkham origins sucks" and then ran off, because that's what a reviewer is, just some random person I don't even know.

Not to mention reviewers are the last person Id pay attention to. Game magazines and websites get paid through advertisements, advertisements by game companies. Id never trust someone who reviews products made by companies that are paying them their salary.

Last but not least, I don't need someone else to assign a number to a game based purely on their opinion for me to feel justified in liking or disliking something.

Ctls_Rajesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ctls_Rajesh
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Some times I got bad score.