Do you like your Spider-Man games open world or structured?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

For instance, do you like them open world like Web of Shadows or structured like Shattered Dimensions? I perfer them open world. I love swinging around Manhattan, even if I've done it several times before (Spider-Man movie games). I will say, I did enjoy the more structured level design of Shattered Dimensions. It was a great change of pace. I was hoping, though, that The Edge of Time would have been a sandbox game this time, but it seems like it's going to have its own series of levels like Shattered Dimensions.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#2 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
I loved swinging around in Ultiamte spiderman, heck I would swing way more time than actually do story or whatever! I like the freedom that I feel by going wherever I want as spidey, search for the highest building and do a leap just to throw web at the last second!
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Web swinging is awesomley fun, but Ihaven't played Shattered Dimensions so I can't say.

SteamedBennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SteamedBennet
Member since 2011 • 534 Posts

Spider-man 2 is the best spider-man game ever made.. so.. open world. The swinging in that game was so addicitive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#5 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Open world. Diving off buildings and swinging at the last minute is awesome :P

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#6 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Open world for me. I think Spider-Man games peaked with Spider-Man 2 but inFamous sort of carried the torch but I'd prefer to be Spider-Man over Cole any day.

SilverSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SilverSignal
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts
Open world is so much better. Web of Shadows is my favourite Spidey game.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Spider-man 2 is the best spider-man game ever made.. so.. open world. The swinging in that game was so addicitive.

SteamedBennet
Yeah, I'd have to agree. The game itself may not have been the best I've played, the but the swinging mechanic was just so awesome, it made up for any and all shortcomings of the game.
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
I prefer open world. My 2 favorite Spider-Man games are Web of Shadows and Ultimate.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

SteamedBennet

This. Didn't love the game or anything but it was fun swinging around in that...

TheMagicRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheMagicRanger
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
open i was dissapointed that shatterd demenstions was so closed off. what a disspointemnt,,, i know why the did it.. but... still
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17709 Posts

Open world definitely. What would be the fun of structured, Spiderman's main draw is his freedom to swing around the city. Oh man, what I wouldn't give to see Rocksteady give Spiderman the AA treatment.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

I loved swinging around in Ultiamte spiderman, heck I would swing way more time than actually do story or whatever! I like the freedom that I feel by going wherever I want as spidey, search for the highest building and do a leap just to throw web at the last second!doubalfa
This, infinitely this.

isaackuhlman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 isaackuhlman
Member since 2011 • 128 Posts

Absolutely agree with everyone here. Open world (I believe introduced in Spider Man 2) was way more fun. I think it was the first geographically accurate map of an actual place in a video game as well which made it even more fun. I've never been to NYC, but I can tell you what Battery Park looks like now. Open world games are generally just more fun because sometimes you don't want to finish any objectives. Sometimes you just want to go mess around.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Open world for sure. Spiderman 3 was actually awesome so was Web Of Shadows. The last Spiderman game was a disaster (dimensions?) and I wanted to find the voice actor for peter and shove dynamite in his word hole so that humanity would never again be plauged by his putrid squaking voice.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
dunno... i have only ever enjoyed 3 spider man games.. 1 is open world (spider man 2) 1 is strucutred (spider man - ps1) and the other one is a brawler (maximum carnage)
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zevvion
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

I'm actually one of the few that thinks Spider-Man for the original PlayStation is the best Spider-Man game made to date. It followed a linear path and I think too many games try the open world route while it doesn't add anything to the game, except that they can say 'it has a huge open world!' and for whatever reason that makes people more interested and sales go up, while it's more often a bad thing than a good thing.

That said, I can see why someone would prefer a open world in a Spider-Man game.

z827

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#18 z827
Member since 2008 • 4731 Posts

I'm actually one of the few that thinks Spider-Man for the original PlayStation is the best Spider-Man game made to date. It followed a linear path and I think too many games try the open world route while it doesn't add anything to the game, except that they can say 'it has a huge open world!' and for whatever reason that makes people more interested and sales go up, while it's more often a bad thing than a good thing.

That said, I can see why someone would prefer a open world in a Spider-Man game.

Zevvion

Indeed , I've really enjoyed the PS1 series of Spider-Man.
The large array of costumes makes things interesting and the boss fights are decent enough.

An open world based Spidey game is decent but the issue is that I find myself swinging around more than doing anything intense.
Even if there are - for example - quests that allows me to capture robbers and what not the quests are so repetitive that it kinda bores me.
It would be perfect if they can make it more like... say... Assassin's Creed? An Open World but with lots of interesting quests to handle.

MADANI_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 MADANI_G
Member since 2008 • 315 Posts

I want an open world spider man game.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
kinda a combination of both. this is still my favorite of the ones i've played: LINK
Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

Really enjoy the open world Spiderman Games here. I would always rent the movie games when they came out just for that feeling of roaming around New York.. it was a lot of fun for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

SteamedBennet

This. They nailed the swinging in that game and it was extremely fun to fly around in. If only they could make a new spiderman game like that.

AdrianWrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AdrianWrz
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts

I had my nephew play Spider Man 2 way back when... i never gave any thoughtto that game since it was based off movie.... until i saw the Open World Swinging.... >.> and got addicted myself.

Open World in today modern time. But Spiderman back on SNES was >.< one of my Favorites i beated that one SO MANY TIMES ;3 and the one on PS1.

Avatar image for der_spudmeister
der_spudmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 der_spudmeister
Member since 2005 • 607 Posts
Definitely open world. Haven't played any of the newer ones because they aren't open world. I remember renting Spider-Man 2 after hearing great things about it. Loaned the rental copy to a friend and we both ended up buying it when I went back to return the rental copy :P It was just so much fun, and swinging around the city was an experience unlike any other in games back then. The only Spider-Man game I've played since then, Web of Shadows, wasn't as great in that regard, but I loved the combat in it.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I actually haven't played any of the recent ones (planning to though), but I was a huge fan back in the early PS2 and N64 days. I played Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro, Spider-Man: The Movie Game, and Spider-Man 2 (based off the movie).

Of all those, Spider-Man 2 was easily the best and most fun. Swinging around NYC, stopping randomly generated crime and doing side missions. It was great, and it was a big precursor to the randomly generated open world stuff you see in Red Dead Redemption I think.

I'd love to see another well done open world Spidey game, hopefully with more to do then Web of Shadows.