Do you like to play Video Games seriously or just for fun?

sp33dy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sp33dy117
Member since 2015 • 61 Posts

I lately had the the question why people play video games. Do they just want to have fun with there friends and have a good time? Or are they all about try harding and trying to improve their KD? I personally like to play seriously and have a good time at the same time. I don't want to be that guy who gets like 26 kills and 4 deaths in Black Ops 3. Yeah, it's fun when you get that many kills and feel proud. You might play just for the fun of it. Like in zombies, I like to play for fun but in the beggining I like to be serious. This doesn't only have to be about Black Ops 3, or any shooter. It can be about Fallout 4, Uncharted 4, Tomb Raider, Gmod, TF2, GTA V, and many other games. So whats your opinion. Leave your comments below!

-Cheers!

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I seriously play games for fun.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I play games for serious fun, but for other reasons as well.

Some of my motivations for playing games are:

• Winning
  • Problem-solving
  • Exploring
  • Relaxing
  • Teamwork
  • Recognition
  • Triumphing (vanquishing your opponent)
  • Collecting
  • Surprise (novelty)
    • -Dopamine releases if a rewarding surprise occurs and more so if it is an expected surprise.
  • Imagination
  • Sharing
    • -Something we are hardwired to enjoy as a species, though not absolutely
  • Role Playing
  • Customization
  • Goofing off
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

I mainly play for fun but that also includes trying to better myself as well. However I don't get frustrated with having a low k/d ratio or win/lose record either.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

Most games for fun

HOWEVER, there are certain games I try hard or play seriously in order to get better. These games tend to be competitive games like LOL, and Dota. These games, I feel rewarded if I actually learn and apply myself to get better. I was a Bronze in S1 in LoL, last season i got to Gold 1 in 18 games and plat in 65. I can see how much i got better not just by being Gold , but playing with players who used to beat me; except now I destroy them.

Games I tend to play for fun are games with little mechanical skills required or single player games like COD, Witcher, bloodborne..etc. I tend to play those games for fun, the second they are tedious or boring, i stop playing.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

@raugutcon said:

This.

Even when I play the most difficult of games, or in competitive modes it's about having fun. A game must be fun, and for me difficulty does not effect that unless the game itself is painfully flawed.

Why do people not consider challenge an option of fun?

You doods need to chill and not get so stressed over games. If you are taking games that badly and find them stressful? Perhaps just avoid most games, in fact it might be better to find a different hobby. Only games that ain't fun should be the ones that didn't reach a certain level of quality.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

seriously or fun? You can split the two. Some of the worse players that running the fun in games are the one that do not take the game seriously. Like Kill/death trackers or the goof off players. Worse the player play a way the game allow even it was not intended to.

CeltMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 CeltMage
Member since 2004 • 40 Posts

I try to lose myself in the game and think of it as real life with me as the hero. So I would say I play seriously but fun is a side effect of playing this way. If I wasn't having fun I wouldn't do it. I have found, however, that games that make me mad are usually the most fun. Not an irritating kind of mad, like because of glitches or bugs but the kind of mad that comes from working so hard and failing. Hard games are generally more fun than an easy game. I've had games make me so mad I literally threw the controller. But I would pick it up and go again because when I finally beat it I jump up and scream YES!! NOW!! Take that Mother &#@^%er. :)

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

It's just a hobby to me. A hobby I'm extremely passionate about, but just a hobby regardless. Just like reading, playing music and watching movies.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@raugutcon said:

same here

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

i play games for fun. but i take my fun very seriously.

i have never been the competative type in games. i never found an obsession on k/d ratios, learning to run around every map backwards or any of that very interesting. that would take the fun out of games a bit for me.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#12 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I like to have fun with my games. But I also take games very seriously, since it's my favorite entertainment medium/passion of mine.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#13 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

I'm not looking to go pro or have anything to prove to anyone or myself. I play because I enjoy the interactive story telling. Stories are outlandish, laughable, soap opera-ish and fun. I like playing through them.

Tabeytalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tabeytalin
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

I like to play video games for fun.

grungeman91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 grungeman91
Member since 2008 • 617 Posts

Video games are meant to be fun, So I play for fun.

CrazyWiiUFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CrazyWiiUFan
Member since 2015 • 45 Posts

What's the difference? I mean I won't spend the rest of my life to achieve some crazy FF weapon but I will try my best and use a walkthrough now and then to attempt the perfect game. And why would I attempt the perfect gamethrough? Because that way I feel that I've enjoyed what each game has to offer. And definitely when I play online FPS games, example is Killzone 3, I will try to rank first although I won't be upset if I don't manage it. So to me games are a form of escapism and a hobby - I also gym a lot lately - when I don't have some pink rubber around or work to do.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Both. When I was younger it was more for fun, but as I've aged I enjoy competitive games more and more.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

At the end of the day, Fun.

Cause If I don't find any entertaiment/fun with a game then I don't play it.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@raugutcon said:

Lol good answer.

Tabeytalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tabeytalin
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

Hi,

Well! I don’t like playing video games at all. But yes, last time we went to one of the Theme Parks at Louisville, with my husband and kids. During the fun at the park, we enjoyed many games like Laser Tag- http://funatthepark.com/attractions/laser-tag/, Arcade Games- http://funatthepark.com/attractions/arcade-games/, including video games. Seriously, playing video games with family was a REAL FUN!

CrazyWiiUFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CrazyWiiUFan
Member since 2015 • 45 Posts

@tabeytalin: Glad to hear that! Seems you had a great time with your family!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I enjoy deconstructing the games I'm playing.

Given player agency, games by their very nature have to be dynamic and constantly adaptive. This is fascinating to me. Watching everything come together into a cohesive whole that consistently evolves and adapts at the player's whim is cool. I enjoy pondering why the developer chose this route to achieve this goal, the way sound is implemented and transitions to achieve certain presentation or emotional crescendo at exactly the right moment for the player's position or actions, I find enjoyment in finding the borders of texture pop-in and the way it's attempted to be hidden (or distracted from). It borders on a scientific curiosity. Gaming intrigues me. I like to ask myself while playing, "How would I approach solving this problem mechanics-wise, or what would be a better way overall?"

That's probably the main reason above all else--it's an appreciation for the medium and what it takes to create great games, and attempting to look at it almost from an engineering/technical standpoint. I don't think anyone ever truly appreciates good games until they play bad ones. But I'd be lying if I said fun, escapism, and a bit of fantasy also don't play a large part.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I mainly play for fun but that also includes trying to better myself as well. However I don't get frustrated with having a low k/d ratio or win/lose record either.

Exactly this. I strive to get better every time I play, but I don't cry about not having a super high kdr and don't take gaming too seriously like some do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

A rewarding experience is what I mostly strive for. But when I play games like Just Cause 3 for example....I do it just for the fun and chaos..

I don't think a person will always play games for the same reason..Each game has it's own focus and context carried over to the player..

I play SMITE a lot and I can only play it seriously because it needs you to..and it gives a lot of immensely rewarding moments.

The Witcher 3 requires you to put some time aside and invest yourself in a story and you can't do that with other people in the same room or any potential distractions... IMO.

Fallout 4 on the other hand has multiple sides to it.. I'm pretty sure you'll play it seriously for one moment and the next moment you're just joking around with enemies like reverse pickpocketing live grenades or overkilling an enemy with a mini-nuke -_- .

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@sp33dy117 said:

I lately had the the question why people play video games. Do they just want to have fun with there friends and have a good time? Or are they all about try harding and trying to improve their KD? I personally like to play seriously and have a good time at the same time. I don't want to be that guy who gets like 26 kills and 4 deaths in Black Ops 3. Yeah, it's fun when you get that many kills and feel proud. You might play just for the fun of it. Like in zombies, I like to play for fun but in the beggining I like to be serious. This doesn't only have to be about Black Ops 3, or any shooter. It can be about Fallout 4, Uncharted 4, Tomb Raider, Gmod, TF2, GTA V, and many other games. So whats your opinion. Leave your comments below!

-Cheers!

Games is entertainment nothing else, so i play for fun nothing else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#26 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Most games I play for the story and on normal or easy. Rarely do I play a game on hard difficulty, unless I really enjoy the game and want a bit of a challenge on my second playthrough but mostly I just want to clear my mind of real life, have fun and enjoy the ride, so I'm a pretty casual gamer.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

The only types of games I play seriously these days is graphically intense first person games. Most others I simply play for fun. I tend to play more retro 2d games than anything else, not sure if it's just nostalgia or if I actually find them to be more fun.

Beagle050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Beagle050
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts

Just for fun or to blow off some steam, but mostly just to learn to play something new. I really don't care who wins or how good I do.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

I play games because I love them. I don't play them for competition, I play them with the same passion that one sees a movie I guess. I play for the gameplay, the characters, the storyline. I play games not as a hobby but as a passion, something that defines me. I'm crazy about them but so I'm also with many other media enternainment forms (a.k.a. movies, tv shows, comic books and anime).