Do you have many friends in real life that you game with?

#1 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

So this post is kind of inspired by what I mentioned in Davillian-'s post on the Off Topic Discussion board.

I've noticed more and more these days people just play with friends they have online. Which is totally cool and I do that for the most part too.

But for me, I had one friend that I'd game with regularly. He's caught up in more of a social life right now, which is understandable. It is hard for me though because my other friends don't really have the "patience" for games. Or, they just get bored far too easily. I definitely take friends that are down to play some couch co-op for granted.

It's kind of like..."Playing Super Mario Bros. by yourself? That's no fun!" Which it really does actually suck. Even if I were to play with my siblings they get fairly bored with games too.

#2 Edited by byof_america (1917 posts) -

Occasionally with my brothers and roommate. A lot of people I grew up with played video games so every once in a while we'll all play some classic game cube games together.

#3 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

@byof_america: Yep, Gamecube games are great to revisit. Probably the most nostalgic console of all time for me. (Even though I used the PS2 way more often.)

#4 Edited by DaVillain- (33762 posts) -

My next door neighbor is a gamer who I actually got him introducing PC gaming 3 years ago, he only had an Xbox 360 and when I show him about PC gaming what it can do and offer, he was hook into PC and him & I became friends. We rarely come to each others house to play but when we do, we'll play on the PS4 something like Killzone and I'll whip up my 360 for Halo match. But for the rest, I only have 4 friends, one of those 4 only is a gamer I mention and nowadays, it's just online friends on PSN/Steam/Origin/Windows 10 that's online.

I have a 11yr Daughter who also plays games and we'll sometimes play our Switch games and our PC's as well. My GF (baby mama, not marry) plays only mobile games and I don't like Mobile gaming at all.

Back in my high school year, I had like 7/8 friends who were all gamers, I own an Xbox along with Halo series and during back when Lan party was a thing. Yep, my friends were all into Halo and as we got older and more games began to take over Halo, my friends just move on, we all graduate and I lost contact due to their life change. That's my story and it's just my next door neighbor & daughter who I'll game with.

#5 Posted by omegaMaster (1091 posts) -

I used to play Runescape with my friends from school, and video games (Forza or FIFA) at my friends place at lunchtime from school. Nowadays, I have no friends to play video games with me because people I know are playing less.

The sad truth is that all the people I have met in real life, they are not into Final Fantasy games *cries*. Not a single person has said they love final fantasy.

#6 Edited by with_teeth26 (9183 posts) -

a couple

i'm the main reason they still play games though

#7 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -
@with_teeth26 said:

i'm the main reason they still play games though

I feel like that's the case with me too. Lol

#8 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -
@omegamaster said:

The sad truth is that all the people I have met in real life, they are not into Final Fantasy games *cries*. Not a single person has said they love final fantasy.

Yeah man. I've been there. lol. I guess a lot of people just can't take the turn based combat. Too slow for them sort of thing.

#9 Posted by RSM-HQ (7642 posts) -

Do you have many friends in real life that you game with?

Have six friends who I grew up through my life that loved playing games heavily, some in the Arcade, but also all liked Monster Hunter and Tekken. Still play MH with four of them to this day. We group up sometimes for 3DS sessions.

One of which is probably more into gaming than I am, and encourages me to try different genres out my norm. And the main person I play games with.

Also through them know a few on PlayStation that group up with us sometimes for online multiplayer.

Probably one of the reasons why I like multiplayer. Because I'm in an expanding and cheerful group that enjoys coop and competitive gaming.

#10 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: You're lucky man!

#12 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

@yibaguai: Welcome to the forums.

#13 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24992 posts) -

All of us have families and work for a living. So, of course not. Plus, I already quit MP back in 2009. If I still did MP, I wouldn't be hanging out here.

#14 Posted by jdc6305 (5000 posts) -

I'm 42 and none of my friends play games. My younger cousins in their 20's do my uncle is in his 50's he does. I get tons of friend requests playing online. I have about 150 people on my friends list. I don't like getting to know people online though. Being friends with people online just feels superficial to me. I enjoy gaming alone personally. It's something I do as an escape. I like getting immersed into single player worlds. I've been playing video games for 35 years. I've been hooked since pacman in the early 80's.

#15 Posted by GNS (261 posts) -

Nope, we don't game anymore. Although, many years ago we did.

#16 Edited by Sevenizz (2538 posts) -

During the OG Xbox, I acquired many friends I’ve gamed with for years (spanning the Xbox, 360, and One). We have similar gaming tastes and we party up often. I made a whole new set of friends during my WoW days. But WoW friends fell off the face of the earth more often. I’ve since quit WoW due to having very few people I know left to play with.

Something about the Xbox brand keeps gamers together longer and develops more meaningful relationships. I’ve met many of these people irl. It’s weird (but cool) calling people by their gamertag and not their name. Equally weird (and cool) responding to your gamertag irl. Also, no one ever looks how you’d think they’d look irl. It’s surreal.

But no, none of my friends from school or previous employment play games. I even worked for SCEA (Sony’s gaming division) for a spell and not a single co-worker or higher up played videogames. In fact, they were looked down upon because of their ‘ridiculous new release demands’.

#17 Edited by goodzorr (432 posts) -

I only play with people I know in real life. Occasionally there's a friend of one of my friends in our party to boost numbers, but no, I don't party up with randomers. Just not my style as I like to have a chat like friends whilst playing and have a bit of banter, etc.

Only have 19 friends on my Xbox friends list, but know and have met them all in real life.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
#18 Posted by GettingonwithGamingLife (150 posts) -

Occasionally with my sister and it is the best experience of my life.

#19 Posted by Planeforger (17883 posts) -

The friends I grew up with moved interstate/overseas, so we can only play online nowadays.

Fortunately, heaps of people I work with are gamers. I'm lucky enough to have a group of ~8 friends who get together during lunch breaks with our Switches, so there's regular Mario Kart and Smash Bros sessions.

#20 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

@Sevenizz: Nice man. One of the best posts so far. Thanks for posting.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#21 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9164 posts) -

My brother is into games as I am and only lives 10 mins away so we play co op all the time. Aside from that I have a few friends I casually play with now and then.

#22 Posted by pyro1245 (4417 posts) -

I don't really game with random people.

Just the Discord group my friends and I have. There are a few people in there that I have never face-met - friends of friends. Only like 8 people in total.

TBH I really enjoy it and it really doesn't matter what we play.

#23 Posted by Enragedhydra (978 posts) -

My roommate wants me to play Diablo 3 with him and I hate Diablo 3. Playing Fortnite with them though is a lot more fun

#24 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

@Enragedhydra: I didn’t mind Diablo 3 from what I played. Got repetitive after a while though. Fortnite is good when I’m playing with others. :)

#25 Posted by Enragedhydra (978 posts) -

@speeny said:

@Enragedhydra: I didn’t mind Diablo 3 from what I played. Got repetitive after a while though. Fortnite is good when I’m playing with others. :)

I much preferred Torchlight 2, I felt like it is what Diablo 3 should have been.
Fortnite gets so much hate and I don't understand why.

#26 Posted by Krocku (3 posts) -

It is very funny before marrying I have a lot of friends, but after I've loosed them and find new in the games

#27 Posted by briguyb13 (2873 posts) -

One or two. Local is so much better than online multiplayer.

#28 Posted by HEATHEN75 (548 posts) -

I have 5 real life friends that I game with very regularly, 4 that I game with semi regularly and about 8 more that I see a couple times a year. That is all online play though. If we get together physically it's usually to BBQ and party or go to the bar to watch football.