Do you guys think old video games were better then nowaday games?

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Shattered-dream
Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

User Lists: 0

#1 Shattered-dream
Member since 2012 • 729 Posts

I do I think the games back then was indeed better. I loved the old school games. Like DKC series, and the classics. Sega was strong and Nintendo was better then today. Just my opinion. I been a gamer since the NES was out my dad bought one. What is your opinion on it? Is games better today because of technology, or better then because of gameplay not needing graphics!

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

I do I think the games back then was indeed better. I loved the old school games. Like DKC series, and the classics. Sega was strong and Nintendo was better then today. Just my opinion. I been a gamer since the NES was out my dad bought one. What is your opinion on it? Is games better today because of technology, or better then because of gameplay not needing graphics!

Shattered-dream
Its highly subjective. I mean, I'd be lying to say they were better, why would I be playing new games if thats the case? There's certainly something missing from new games, yet at the same time the kind of games we're getting these days would not have been possible in the 8 bit era. So we've gone a few steps back, but a huge leap forward. I don't like the direction that a large chunk of the high budget industry is going in- turning games into basically glorified movies- yet the other half of the industry is still pumping out good games that are getting better and better. And if the big companies fail us, there's Indie Devs will always be there for us. One thing I miss is difficulty being the norm. Difficulty is what makes a game addictive to me. They made games harder back then because they were a lot shorter. To be honest, I'd rather play a short and intensely hard game then an epic, easy and tideious game.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Not necessarily, I just think when I was younger I was in a better position to enjoy games. I was more "wowed" by smaller things back then and now when it comes to games I'm more jaded about everything.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Games used to be a lot better without a doubt. The last generation of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox was the golden age of gaming. I feel as though that's when the most original and creative games were released. Back then, developers had class.

Today, just about every good idea has been done and developers are running out of ideas.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

If I were to simply uphold the classics and my favorites I could make an argument about how much better those are then the games that release today that I'm already predisposed to dislike.

Going by the average release no, games are certainly better now.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GeoffZak

Not necessarily, I just think when I was younger I was in a better position to enjoy games. I was more "wowed" by smaller things back then and now when it comes to games I'm more jaded about everything. JML897

That child-like sense of wonder that we all used to have helped us enjoy games more. And part of the reason we still enjoy playing certain old games is because of nostalgia.

But why is it then, that I have more fun playing games from previous generations that I never played as a kid? I only recently played Chrono Trigger for the first time, and damn, it sure does put most of today's games to shame. So it can't be nostalgia that's making me enjoy these older games, it's the fact that they're well-designed and a lot more fun than today's games.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]Not necessarily, I just think when I was younger I was in a better position to enjoy games. I was more "wowed" by smaller things back then and now when it comes to games I'm more jaded about everything. GeoffZak

That child-like sense of wonder that we all used to have helped us enjoy games more. And part of the reason we still enjoy playing certain old games is because of nostalgia.

But why is it then, that I have more fun playing games from previous generations that I never played as a kid? I only recently played Chrono Trigger for the first time, and damn, it sure does put most of today's games to shame. So it can't be nostalgia that's making me enjoy these older games, it's the fact that they're well-designed and a lot more fun than today's games.

I prefer legacy games over current gen games, but what in the world makes them more well-designed?

Also, fun is completely subjective.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GeoffZak

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

[QUOTE="JML897"]Not necessarily, I just think when I was younger I was in a better position to enjoy games. I was more "wowed" by smaller things back then and now when it comes to games I'm more jaded about everything. GreySeal9

I prefer legacy games over current gen games, but what in the world makes them more well-designed?

Also, fun is completely subjective.

Have you ever watched Arin Hanson's Sequelitis in which he talks about Megaman?

Games have become too easy because they hold the hand of the player for too long with stupid tutorials and message prompts that direct you. Developers are no longer very creative in the way they teach the player about how to play their game. It really distracts from the experience when you have to stop playing for a bit to read some prompt.

But that's only part of the problem.

Too many games have become overly-linear and streamlined. A lot of modern games take control away from the player so that they can show off some flashy graphics through a quick time event or an on-rails segment.

This linear formula has become much too popular because developers like to be able to streamline their experience because it's much easier for them to design around one path that they know the player will be traveling down. Some games do it right, but most over-do it and abuse it. *cough* Call of Duty *cough* Uncharted *cough*

Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shattered-dream

Games used to be a lot better without a doubt. The last generation of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox was the golden age of gaming. I feel as though that's when the most original and creative games were released. Back then, developers had class.Today, just about every good idea has been done and developers are running out of ideas.GeoffZak

I 110% agree! And I love angel beats!:)

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

Absolutely i do. As Music for 70s 80s, golden age for gaming was among 90s and noughties, for sheer game innovations

Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shattered-dream

Absolutely i do. As Music for 70s 80s, golden age for gaming was among 90s and noughties, for sheer game innovations

hurriflash

The music was superb to nowaday music is lame. David Wise made music better!

LordShockTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LordShockTitan
Member since 2013 • 218 Posts

Meh, its all opinion based. For me, I don't think so, but I could tell from the developers point of view that they actually cared about the game that they were making. Now, its just like the devs make games only for money.

Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shattered-dream

Meh, its all opinion based. For me, I don't think so, but I could tell from the developers point of view that they actually cared about the game that they were making. Now, its just like the devs make games only for money.

LordShockTitan

Amen to that. I have to agree you could even buy a game like Bugs bunny crazy castle and it was good now you have to look to find a good game. They don't make them like they use too!

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

While I'd love to say that older games because of my nostalgia I just can't.

Game experiences and technology have come so far it is unbelievable the kinds of places where you could go now. For instance...I have a Logitech GT Pro Steering Wheel and GT5...its the closest thing I can get to actually getting behind the wheel of a Lamborghini without experiencing the G-Forces in the corners. Yeah...it won't get to the real thing, but also look at a game series like Borderlands...It is my favorite FPS of all time. The kinds of places you could go and level design is outstanding.

Not saying old games have terrible design...look at the usual suspects...Metroid, DKC, Mario, Zelda, Sonic...etc.

But they are nearly as immersive as some games today. I'll always play the classics...because they are really fun, but they really can't stand toe to toe with well developed games of today.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
NO! especially the control accuracy
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

No idea. I don't play modern-gen games.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

No idea. I don't play modern-gen games.

BarbaricAvatar
your missing out on alot of amazing titles.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#18 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

in some ways yes. in some ways no.

there is alot of crap coming out today , but there were also pletny of bad games over the years, I don't think quality has gone down , so much as the nature of games.

if one was to go to gaming pre 2000, he would find a greater emphasis on simpler , but more challenging gameplay, and less story, also more games with colourful designs, which were necessary to mask the technical limitations of the time.

now games have a more.....cinematic feel about them , clearly a much higher budget, more, and often better dialogue but obviously not every game benefits from this kind of treatment.

of course, there were cinematics and such beforehand, in fact a whole genre based on FMVs ,but for the most part it failed for a reason.

this does lead to a problem of the single player in games being treated worse, since its more expensive to try and create a very long story (and creating the dialogue, designs , story, cinematics , etc to go with it) , then just to create a multiplayer game. That is one thing I do miss about older games, a single player that doesn't have to be second best to the multiplayer.

I think part of the explanation is due to the death of the arcade , really around the late 90s,  arcades pushed and popularized simple but challenging and very polished gameplay. By simple , Im not talking mini games, Im talking a game with a relatively simple concept.

might also have something to do with the gaming industry trying to catch up and overtake the film industry.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
graphics and physics new games are better period
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#20 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
No. They weren't better or worse. Each generation has there own strong points.
NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

There's good and bad games every year

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#22 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

About the same. A lot of the genres I love aren't as popular now, but lately I've been seeing even those make a comeback

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Old games, easily.  Most of the games I play even now are legacy, they're just more fun to play IMO.  I loved the gameplay, music, and challenge of games back then a lot better than games of now.  Not to say there aren't good games still coming out now.  Some games like Demon's Souls, Ninja Gaiden, and Sin and Punishment still give me a lot of hope for modern games, too bad we can't have more games like those.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Depends on the genre.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Depends on the genre.

Seabas989
This is also true. Today obviously isn't the golden age of JRPGs.
Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Eddie-Murphy48
Member since 2013 • 939 Posts
I believe people ignore 2005-2008 this gen when making threads like this. The whole coyping eachother and lack of ideas and yearly installments happened at the end of 2008. Before that people were talking about all these great and wonderful games beating the previous gen in spades.
Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shattered-dream

Old games, easily.  Most of the games I play even now are legacy, they're just more fun to play IMO.  I loved the gameplay, music, and challenge of games back then a lot better than games of now.  Not to say there aren't good games still coming out now.  Some games like Demon's Souls, Ninja Gaiden, and Sin and Punishment still give me a lot of hope for modern games, too bad we can't have more games like those.bowserjr123

Old games was harder. Zelda 2, Tiger heli, FF2, Dragon Quest, DKC2, Mario 2 lost levels, and the rpgs were a whole lot harder!

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#28 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Back then, games couldn't use cutting edge graphics to make up for lack of a story or unpolished gameplay.
Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shattered-dream

Back then, games couldn't use cutting edge graphics to make up for lack of a story or unpolished gameplay.Allicrombie
Graphics doesn't make a game good! Look at Mario 64, DK64, and both Zeldas on the 64 they was all 10 quality games. They don't make them like they use too!

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

no
in general they have improved

it's just that a lot of the games i like weren't made this generation

but overall across all genres, yes it's better

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

Games used to be a lot better without a doubt. The last generation of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox was the golden age of gaming. I feel as though that's when the most original and creative games were released. Back then, developers had class.

Today, just about every good idea has been done and developers are running out of ideas.

GeoffZak

I really disagree with the PS2 being the golden age of gaming or games in general being more creative during the PS2 era

Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shattered-dream

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]Games used to be a lot better without a doubt. The last generation of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox was the golden age of gaming. I feel as though that's when the most original and creative games were released. Back then, developers had class.Today, just about every good idea has been done and developers are running out of ideas.rilpas
I really disagree with the PS2 being the golden age of gaming of games in general being more creative during the PS2 era

PS2 ERA is old , and the gamecube was better.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rilpas
Back then, games couldn't use cutting edge graphics to make up for lack of a story or unpolished gameplay.Allicrombie
most 8 bit and 16 bit games had no story at all so really a bad story is pretty irrelevant I think
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GeoffZak

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

rilpas

I really disagree with the PS2 being the golden age of gaming of games in general being more creative during the PS2 era

O_o

JonTron

What did I just read by the way?

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="GeoffZak"]Games used to be a lot better without a doubt. The last generation of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox was the golden age of gaming. I feel as though that's when the most original and creative games were released. Back then, developers had class.Today, just about every good idea has been done and developers are running out of ideas.Shattered-dream

opinions.

To me the PS2 is hardly "old"

you want old? try the commodore 64 or the Atari and it doesn't change what I said, to me the PS2/GC/Xbox were anything BUT the golden age, not even silver age

Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shattered-dream

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]Back then, games couldn't use cutting edge graphics to make up for lack of a story or unpolished gameplay.rilpas
most 8 bit and 16 bit games had no story at all so really a bad story is pretty irrelevant I think

If you have amazing gameplay you don't need graphics, or a amazing story!

Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shattered-dream

[QUOTE="Shattered-dream"][QUOTE="rilpas"] I really disagree with the PS2 being the golden age of gaming of games in general being more creative during the PS2 erarilpas

opinions.To me the PS2 is hardly "old" you want old? try the commodore 64 or the Atari and it doesn't change what I said, to me the PS2/GC/Xbox were anything BUT the golden age, not even silver age

Sega and SNES, PS1 and N64 was the golden age in my opinion!

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

GeoffZak

O_o

What did I just read by the way?

you read my opinion of me thinking the PS2 is an overrated console

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Shattered-dream"]

PS2 ERA is old , and the gamecube was better.Shattered-dream

opinions.To me the PS2 is hardly "old" you want old? try the commodore 64 or the Atari and it doesn't change what I said, to me the PS2/GC/Xbox were anything BUT the golden age, not even silver age

I'd say the 8-16 bit wars was the golden age of console gaming with the 32 bit wars being the silver age, this is just on consoles though

Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Shattered-dream

[QUOTE="Shattered-dream"][QUOTE="rilpas"]opinions.To me the PS2 is hardly "old" you want old? try the commodore 64 or the Atari and it doesn't change what I said, to me the PS2/GC/Xbox were anything BUT the golden age, not even silver agerilpas

I'd say the 8-16 bit wars was the golden age of console gaming with the 32 bit wars being the silver age, this is just on consoles though

That's what I been trying to tell you man lol!

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Allicrombie"]Back then, games couldn't use cutting edge graphics to make up for lack of a story or unpolished gameplay.Shattered-dream

I never claimed otherwise, I'm just saying 8 bit and 16 games generally had a plot that would make any call of duty game look like a Shakespearean work of art
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rilpas

Sega and SNES, PS1 and N64 was the golden age in my opinion!Shattered-dream

you were including the 32 bit in the golden age, I was disagreeing, so there's a difference
Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shattered-dream

[QUOTE="Shattered-dream"][QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Shattered-dream"]
Sega and SNES, PS1 and N64 was the golden age in my opinion!rilpas

you were including the 32 bit in the golden age, I was disagreeing, so there's a difference[/QUOTE/]

I agree with that ok I was wrong!

Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shattered-dream

[QUOTE="Shattered-dream"][QUOTE="rilpas"] most 8 bit and 16 bit games had no story at all so really a bad story is pretty irrelevant I thinkrilpas

I never claimed otherwise, I'm just saying 8 bit and 16 games generally had a plot that would make any call of duty game look like a Shakespearean work of art

I agree, but COD is been made out of style nowadays.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rilpas

If you have amazing gameplay you don't need graphics, or a amazing story!Shattered-dream

indeed

Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Shattered-dream

[QUOTE="Shattered-dream"][QUOTE="rilpas"] I never claimed otherwise, I'm just saying 8 bit and 16 games generally had a plot that would make any call of duty game look like a Shakespearean work of artrilpas

indeed

Thanks I guess lol:)

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts
Yes, without a doubt. Games in the past seems to have focused more on the gameplay. Good examples such as DOOM and Quake, and there are many old games in current franchises nowadays that are better, such as Resident Evil, Splinter Cell, Hitman, Call of Duty and Metal Gear Solid. New ones aren't very good, to be honest. Many games nowadays have little gameplay in them due to the amount of QTEs, cutscenes and set pieces. These games are considered as "movie games". Dumbed down franchises such as those listed above are aimed at casual gamers now, they are not even hard enough for people who enjoy challenges. Assists are also found everywhere, such as pointers and markers; people don't put their brains in use anymore. Pretty disappointing.
Dexter-010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Dexter-010
Member since 2011 • 494 Posts
No. I like games, no matter if it's Super Mario Bros. on the Super Nintendo or if it's (for example) Test Drive Unlimited. In my opinion you can't compare games from now with games from 10/20 years ago. A lot of things changed and people get older.
Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shattered-dream

Yes, without a doubt. Games in the past seems to have focused more on the gameplay. Good examples such as DOOM and Quake, and there are many old games in current franchises nowadays that are better, such as Resident Evil, Splinter Cell, Hitman, Call of Duty and Metal Gear Solid. New ones aren't very good, to be honest. Many games nowadays have little gameplay in them due to the amount of QTEs, cutscenes and set pieces. These games are considered as "movie games". Dumbed down franchises such as those listed above are aimed at casual gamers now, they are not even hard enough for people who enjoy challenges. Assists are also found everywhere, such as pointers and markers; people don't put their brains in use anymore. Pretty disappointing.Cyberdot

I have to agree with you. Plus amazing cut scenes doesn't make a game good!