Do you feel you have your moneys worth

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MegaMatt91
Member since 2011 • 462 Posts

Hey guys, I am just wondering how everyone feels about this. With new consoles probably coming out soon, it got me thinking. Is there a time where you feel you have got your money's worth from a console / PC / handheld before you upgrade?

I personally work it out by hours. It took me about 30 hours to earn the money to buy a PS3 back when it was like $500 and included MGS4, LBP1, and I put probably around 200 hours into those 2 games alone. However, I have got probably 1000 hours + out of it so I deem it as a huge success for the money I put in. Same with my gaming pc, took about 60 hours to earn the money for it, but I have got well over a 1000 hours from it. PSP and DS are the same story.

Basically I don't think there is many other things you can drop $500 for and get thousands of hours of out, once you pay for some games, which in themselves take like 2-3 hours to earn the money for, then get potentially 40+ hours out of.

I like looking at gaming like this because it makes you realize how many hours of entertainment you get for such little price. Movies for example are usually $20, you watch them a few times then that's it.

How do you guys work out if you got your moneys worth out of gaming?

callofduty405

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 callofduty405
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

i agree,never looked at it like that though,thanks. I think i get my moneys worth for most games, the games i actually played a lot. But the consoles in all were completely worth it.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

My PS3's the best home entertainment investment I've ever made. Paid $400 for it and I've been enjoying it for about 2 hours a night for 3 1/2 years now.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#4 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Absolutely got my moneys worth from both my 360 and PS3. I use my PS3 for BluRay and my 360 for gaming and other multimedia.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#5 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

My 360 is easily the best investment I've ever made so far. I have spent thousands of hours playing games on this console.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i have to agree, you get a lot of money worth for what you are paying. Think of the games you get cheap like 5 bucks or so, that's insanse if you really think about it.
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#7 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Paid $350 for my PS3.

Spent maybe 1000 hrs playing games on it.

Any hobby that costs me $.35/hr is money well spent. And that's just to date. I'm sure I'll put another 2000 hrs + into it. In the end, it will be more like $.10/hr. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made.

-

My 360 hasn't been used for games in over a year. But it is responsible for all my families media needs. Until we get an HD tv that is.

-

My Wii has been used even less than the 360. It's by far the worst decision I made this gen. I really should have just gone with one console. Next gen that's the plan, maybe even skipping next gen. There's far too much content available today to ever get through. I can't imagine what the next 2-3 years will bring.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#8 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I've definitely gotten my money's worth on all of spent on my PS3 and games. I don't even want to think about how many hours I've spent using it.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Yep, definitely have gotten my money's worth. Excited to see what the new consoles will bring now. Crazy, E3 is only 6 months away now.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44365 Posts
Yeah I feel like I definitely got my money's worth out of the 360, PS3, and Wii. Some games that easily made the systems worth it were:
  • 360 - I easily got the most out of this system with Halo, Forza, Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, and numerous multiplats
  • PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War III, Demon's Souls, Uncharted, and Killzone made it worthwhile
  • Wii - Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Metroid Prime 3 gave me plenty to justify the purchase
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I got more than my money's worth out of my PS3. Games like MGS4, RDR, Skyrim, ME2, Starhawk, and Dragon's Dogma have provided me countless hours of entertainment plus a great escape from real life bullish.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

If the costs of the software outweigh the costs of the hardware then I would consider worth it. As in if an upgrade to my PC were to cost $300 but only $150 worth of my library were to benefit then I wouldn't upgrade until the software surpassed the hardware. I used to think of worth in hours per dollar as well but not all hours are equal

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#13 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Definitely got my money's worth out of my PS3, put thousands of hours into it and never get bored.

MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MegaMatt91
Its cool to see how many others think of this kind of stuff specifically, and how they do look at these things. I have got so many hours out of world of warcraft, it has paid for itself and my computer 1000x over. All up I have spent probably $300 on WOW, but have around 1200 hours from it.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

I definitely got my money's worth when I consider my PS2 & 3. Had the PS2 since 2002 and the PS3 since 2008.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

Yes, absolutely 100%!

Got my PS3 for $300 once the Slim rolled in back in 2009. Satisfied with the whole package in one console.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I keep all my systems so I'm usually not too concerned. But I still am not going to drop more than 300-350 on a console. I have so many consoles and so many games that I can wait it out. There's no telling how many hours there are on my Atari 2600 (it's been in my family since 1978 and it still gets played). Anyone who doesn't enjoy a nice game of River Raid or Yars' Revenge is a dirty communist, I say.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

As a PC-only gamer, I need a computer anyways, so yes, spending the few extra bucks to get a nicer GPU to play games is totally worth it. The steam sales and better quality pay for themselves

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

More than my moneys worth out of my Xbox and my PC.

I don't play my PS3 as much as I should, but don't regret buying it.

My Wii while fun at first is pretty much worthless at this point.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Two thoughts.

1 - The more systems I have, the less I feel I get from each system. We're all busy people, and unless you have time to play 24x7, it's hard to justify more than 1-2 systems. I don't think I will buy more than 1 console per generation in the future.

2 - I think my PC easily justifies itself without ANY games, as I use it for 1000 different things.

ESPM400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ESPM400
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts
As a mostly PC gamer now, I can say yes on that front. Since I use it for everything from watching TV/movies, to doing my finances, to actually gaming, my ASUS G74 (I travel a lot so a big-ass gaming rig is really impractical) was well worth the $1500 I spent on it. My 360 (or 360s, I should say) are another matter. Although I will say I got my money out of them, due to hardware issues after warranty expiration, I've bought three since I started using them. I used them for social gaming mostly, since none of my friends can seem to figure out a PC, despite my persuasion and attempted teaching. I never got the RRoD, my optical drive failed to read discs, and despite attempts to fix them, were unsalvageable. Despite this, they were worth the many hours I've put into them. Recently, I've given up on it though, I don't play online games on my console and the only times I've turned the thing on is to play NHL12, because my beloved hockey is suffering from a lockout...
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I go buy the amount of time and money I would have spent in the Arcade. I used to easily drop Twenty dollars in the acrade machines. Devote much time playing games.

So I have gotten my moneys worth mostly. Except for my least played system The Wii. But lucky it didn't cost as much as Xbox 360 and PS3.

MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MegaMatt91

Two thoughts.

1 - The more systems I have, the less I feel I get from each system. We're all busy people, and unless you have time to play 24x7, it's hard to justify more than 1-2 systems. I don't think I will buy more than 1 console per generation in the future.

2 - I think my PC easily justifies itself without ANY games, as I use it for 1000 different things.

ZombieKiller7

Thats exactly how I feel about my PS3. I only turn it on now once in a blue moon. Even when I got a email from sony giving me free PS+ time, I didnt even bother turning it on and claiming it. I have a tonne of games that were free on PS+ when I was a subscriber that I didnt even touch, and just bought them on steam and played them on PC.
I dont even bother buying exclusives that have come out.
I think one of the big reasons is how much my PC can do at once. It is much easier to listen to a podcast and a game at the same time, with one click of a button on my keyboard pause the podcast when dialogue comes up, unpause when dialogue is done. Alt tab to google if I need a guide or help with something. Have demos, patches or other games downloading while I am playing.

It is kind of good in a way because if I ever do want to go back to my PS3, there is a heap of exclusives that can keep me busy for a while. I do NOT regret buying my PS3 though, it kept me entertained for literally thousands of hours before I got my PC. Trophies were good when I didn't have much money because they made me get my moneys worth out of each game. Instead of beating dead space once like I would now, I beat it 3 times, many games were like that. Instead of beating fallout 3 once, I did 3 playthroughs, and played that one game on and off for over a year before I got the platnium. Same with LBP.

This is the first generation though where instead of buying a console, I will just update my PC and stick with that. Kinda worn out on PS3 exclusives by the third or fourth game in the series, and XBOX has none I want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

I think so. Got a 360/PS3 for this generation. Gotten plenty of gaming fun out of them, but I feel owning 2 consoles have been overwhelmingly overkill for me. There's just far too many games out and simply not enough time to play them all, well not all, but the ones that interest me.

Next gen, I'm abandoning the whole concept of buying more than 1 consoles and more games, because simply there's no point anymore. Not worth the time or money to invest heavily in something that, in these days, I simply don't have the time anymore. And buying 2 or more consoles is simply as I said, OVERKILL for me.

My next console purchase is a toss up between PS4 or New XBOX, depending on which console offers the best lineup of games and exclusives, and features.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I agree 100% with you guys. I definitely did not get the most out of my consoles. There's not enough time to enjoy them fully when you're spread between 3 consoles and 2 handhelds (which I am). I have also decided to get one next gen console, but I already bought a Wii U. So I guess I'm only buying two consoles!! :)

As far as worth? Well, I think I got my money's worth out of the PS3. Besides games, its my only blu-ray player and its where I watch 3D movies. However, my launch PS3 got the YLOD, and I currently have a slim. So in total I've paid about $900 in just the console. I have anjoyed it, though, so regardless of monetary value, I have gotten good use and enjoyment out of the PS3.

The 360 I played A LOT up until about a year ago. I found the PS3 library more interesting at that point. But the countless CoD, Halo, and Gears matches I've played have defintely given me my money's worth. Not to mention Live arcade, and all the multiplats I have for it.

I do not feel I got even half my money's worth out of the Vita. And as much as I like it, I'm certainly not playing the 3DS anywhere as much as I'd like to.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

ive gotten my moneys worth with the s3. xbox 360, not yet....actually anything other than a sony console, i haven't . the xbox was close but i think ive only played and beaten like 4 of my games and my gc colects dust

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

Xbox 360 (Even though Ive had 4 of them due to the red light, but only had to purchase one unit) - Was definately worth it. Had over 1000 hours on BF:BC2 alone.

PS3 - I didnt really use it that much. If a game was offered on both PS3 and Xbox 360 then I would choose the 360 version because I like the controller better and Xbox Live functionality better.

Wii - Was definately worth it for all of the parties Ive had with people playing it. Plus my GF at the time loved playing it with me.

So this generation I will probably go with a Wii U and one of the other 2 consoles. Have to wait to see wether its going to be PS4 or XBox 3.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

If the hours worked to earn the money the console cost is what you mean, then obviously yes. Who plays a console for less than 10 hours and tosses it? hahaha.

I feel the 360 was a waste (and sold it) but the PS3 and Wii were worth it. Especially the PS3. With that said, I put FAR more time into my PC games.