Do You Even Buy Guide Books for Single Player Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Me_Ann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Me_Ann
Member since 2007 • 1079 Posts

I think its useless and kinda kills a game's charm if youre just gonna read a guide/walkthrough. Bout you guys?

PolygonBust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 PolygonBust
Member since 2011 • 239 Posts

I'll never understand buying a $60+ game only to use a guide book to tell you where to go and what to do. What ever happened to experiencing a game?

Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

No, if I need guide or don't want to miss any missable stuff then I'll ask around GameFAQ board and read their user made guide.

LordBrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LordBrew
Member since 2008 • 269 Posts

I will if they're ridiculously cheap, during the summer I bought the GTAIV guide book for £1.

Otherwise no.

MrBlobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrBlobz
Member since 2011 • 299 Posts
guide books kill the game for me, I have more fun if I figure everything out on my own.
CrimsonpugTwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CrimsonpugTwo
Member since 2004 • 2220 Posts

I buy game guides - but I rarely use them for walkthrus. Usually I only buy the guides for the games I know I'm going to love (sequels, new games I've really been anticipating etc.) and I get them more for an "expansion" of the experience than for a walkthru. Guides often times have tons of neat secrets and information about the game that you wouldn't nessessarily get from the game alone. I look at them more like the extras you find on DVDs or Blurays - there is the game itself which is the main experience, but then you can read the guides to get some extra enjoyment out of the whole experience.

And hey, if I just so happen to get stuck and can't find my own way out. No need to surf over to gamefaqs when I have a guide right here.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

If I'm trophy hunting I'll just look up an online guide. I've never bought a guide, from what I've heard they rush them out as fast as possible and they're far less accurate than the online stuff.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

It depends on the game, i got one for dark souls and ff13 but not for the 30+ other games i have. I like to play the game myself, but i like knowing that if i get stuck somewhere i have a guide to give me some ideas on how to get past where im at.

TiagoRocha89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 TiagoRocha89
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts
personally I have a few game guides, specially for RPG's. I own: Two Worlds 1 Star Ocean Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom Blue Dragon And that's pretty much it... The guides kind help getting secrets and special stuff.
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
I don't buy guides. GameFAQs for the win. Anyways, I only use walkthroughs on sections where I feel like I really need them and during extra playthroughs where I just want to seek out the secrets and oddities of the game.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

Never bought a guide book except for an console MMORPG(FFXI)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44453 Posts
I buy guide books for games I really love. I buy them for various reasons such as I like the artwork and I enjoy reading all the extra details, info, stats and other things in them. I also consider them part of my gaming collection. I will also use them if I ever get really stuck as well as to check for things I missed on subsequent play throughs. Usually I buy guides for RPG's like Final Fantasy and the only guides I ever buy are those made by Brady Games.
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
I got the guides for Fallout 3 and Oblivion, but not to complete the game with, more as a map towards anything I would likely miss while playing the games. Hidden items and areas for example since those games are pretty big and it's easy to miss things. Generally though, no, as games are simple enough to complete these days. The only use a guide has is if you're looking for collectibles, secret areas and side missions you wouldn't have expected to come across.
brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

I'll never understand buying a $60+ game only to use a guide book to tell you where to go and what to do. What ever happened to experiencing a game?

PolygonBust

Thats the whole point. People want to experience the game but if you get stuck then how are you to experience it? You cant.

Anyways in the days of the internet there really isnt any reason for these guide books when we can find all this information along with video walkthroughs for the game. This stuff is usefull for sure. After 25 yrs of gaming i dont have the patience to spend an hr or more stuck in a game. I want to keep the game flowing without any frustraing hitches.

For some it may ruin it & for others it may save the experience. I dont care whether i have the patience or skill level to complete a certain task, i just want to go throught the motions of doing it. You will also learn from it & become a better game because of it. These walkthroughs can show a gamer things he/she might never have seen or known otherwise & therefor will learn from it.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#15 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Not particularly. The last guide I bought was for Halo: Reach.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
Only for collection purposes and it has to be hard cover.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dracula68

Only for collection purposes and it has to be hard cover.lbjkurono23
They make hard covers? I've never come across any.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
all the time. I had around 90 at one point. I like the pretty colors.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]Only for collection purposes and it has to be hard cover.Dracula68

They make hard covers? I've never come across any.

Usually for special editions: I bought the hardcover game guide for Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and I wanted to get ahold of that Batman: Arkham Case Files book, too. I bought my AC:B guide because I bought the game the morning it hit and I wanted something to pass the time while I was at work that day- I refreshed my memory of the story so far in one section, skipped over the gameplay walkthroughs, and studied the multiplayer maps, planned strategies and drooled over the toys I was going to unlock level by level. Considering most people had been playing multiplayer for twenty hours by the time I would be able to boot up my game, I didn't feel like my 1 workday's worth of studying gave me an unfair advantage over the other players.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#20 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
The only game I legitimately purchased a guide for was Pokemon Silver. Capturing all the Pokemon was pretty tough. Every other guide I purchased was for a nice bonus like the art book that came with the MGS3 guide. I still have the art book, threw away the guide.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#21 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts
Nope. Most questions I have about a game can be easily answered by a Google search. There's no reason to buy an expensive user guide that usually contain spoilers along with the solutions.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dracula68
all the time. I had around 90 at one point. I like the pretty colors.Allicrombie
Hey...nah too easy for a witty joke here. It would be like taking candy from a baby.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I don't bother with them they tend to spoil the games.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
No, thats what the internet is for.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dracula68

I don't bother with them they tend to spoil the games.

sukraj
That's my main reason I don't buy them. I know people that buy them and use them right away without even trying first. What is the point?
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I absolutely bought the guide for Dark Souls, and it in no way spoils the experience... it greatly enhances it, actually. Rather than bringing up my computer and looking at a wiki, I have a guide to read on the toilet and elsewhere. It's really enhanced my game. Now, for most other games I agree... it's a waste of money. But Dark Souls doesn't give you much to go on. The manual is like 3 pages, and basically consists of saying, "Good luck!".
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#27 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I absolutely bought the guide for Dark Souls, and it in no way spoils the experience... it greatly enhances it, actually. Rather than bringing up my computer and looking at a wiki, I have a guide to read on the toilet and elsewhere. It's really enhanced my game. Now, for most other games I agree... it's a waste of money. But Dark Souls doesn't give you much to go on. The manual is like 3 pages, and basically consists of saying, "Good luck!".donalbane
yeah that Dark Souls hardcover guide is actually quite nice. I dont even own the game., but I had to get the guide.
Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

No. Never. The closest I've ever come is going on line to find some help when I am extreamely stuck.

I won't buy them for an MMO either.

This is a faction of the industry that never should have existed.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44650 Posts
no, if I need help on something I can always just Google it
AvengedSixfold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AvengedSixfold
Member since 2011 • 80 Posts

Nope, if I need a guide I'll just refer to one online for the part of the game I am stuck on. Other than that I'll use guides all the time specifically for trophies but not to beat the game, I can do that without them.

true_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 true_gamer007
Member since 2011 • 433 Posts

You're right. Guides kills the climax and interest in any game. But they come in handy if you're stuck and desperate(generally happens with newbies).

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
I don't really buy guides, but i do own a few from presents and such (oot,dk64,kh)
Smitticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 Smitticus
Member since 2005 • 20519 Posts

I think its useless and kinda kills a game's charm if youre just gonna read a guide/walkthrough. Bout you guys?

Me_Ann
why? that's why we have internet.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

isnt this what youtube is for?

WyteCollaCrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WyteCollaCrim
Member since 2011 • 244 Posts
I usually look them up online.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
Only for some Rpg's because of sidequests, sometimes I don't feel like waiting for gamefaqs or wiki updates.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Only guide I ever got was for the witcher 2, and that came with the game. I'm really glad I had it though, very useful when I wanted to consider my options and plan ahead.
Warhawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Warhawk_
Member since 2006 • 1497 Posts

I can never understand why some people like buying them when you have the internet for free guides unless they themselves don't have it.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Not often. When I buy the guides I never look at the walkthrough, typically just use the data they have for Synthing/crafting/alchemizing as well as look at items guides, gear guides, and bestiaries.

Steakumms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Steakumms
Member since 2011 • 84 Posts
I try not to use guides at all, but why even pay like $20 for a guide if it's free online?
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#41 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Aguide just takes the fun out of things.. The whole point of gaming is to explore.

Subject-16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Subject-16
Member since 2011 • 105 Posts

When Assassins Creed 2 came out I bought the guide book for that....then never read it. It's in the most immaculate condition ever.

Anyone wanna buy it?! Haha

Avatar image for CyberneticGlion
CyberneticGlion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 CyberneticGlion
Member since 2008 • 50 Posts

I used to when I was younger just because they were so much fun to read.

Now though I just come here or anywhere else if I need help on a game.

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
Guidebooks are a waste of money. I actually used to buy them every now and then when I was really young and had no idea what the hell I was doing. Now that I actually go back and look through them again I realize that most of the guides you find on gamefaqs are a lot more helpful and accurate than the actual guide books themselves.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I always buy a guidebook for console Zelda games. I haven't actually used one since Majora's Mask. But it's a tradition for me. The amount of artwork in those things is insane.
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
The only guide book I have ever had was for Super Metroid. I do sometimes use a walkthrough though.