Do you buy videogames to beat them or just for the experience?

Nwoprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Nwoprime
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

I have an enormous back log of video games on ps4 and xb1 or you satisfied just getting some hours in a game you buy are do you have to complete it

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I read the question differently... of course I play games for the experience but I don't feel satisfied leaving games unfinished. So that is why I aim to beat every game I play. I'm not forcing myself to beat games, that's just what I want to get out of a game. I don't find it fulfilling to just "experience" a game for some amount of time without beating it and moving on to the next game. That, to me, seemed what the question was aimed at.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SoNin360

I always at the least aim to complete every game I buy. A game will occasionally sit in my backlog for several months or in a few cases even over a year, but I always get around to what I buy. I'm a bit of a completionist on top of that, so I'll try to do everything there is to do in a game, at least as far as what the trophies require.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I always buy a game with the intent to finish it. That being said, I have many "ongoing" games right now that have dragged on a long time yet I am legitimately enjoying them. So "the experience" seems to be enough to keep me going for a long time.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44154 Posts

I purchase games with the intent on finishing them however I do have a backlog so whether or not I end up finishing them all remains to be seen.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Silly question, coming to a gaming dedicated Forum and not knowing why people may enjoy games, perhaps some will focus on just 'beating them' then throwing it aside. But that comes across as a punishment than enjoyment of the game.

Games are for the experience, and only the experience. May it be immersed, or mechanically satisfied. If playing a game is just a means to an end? They're not really enjoying any game, and should consider a different hobby.

I tend to seek out replay value because I just want more from games I like. Games are not suppose to be chores_

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ

@SoNin360 said:

@RSM-HQ: I read the question differently... of course I play games for the experience but I don't feel satisfied leaving games unfinished. So that is why I aim to beat every game I play. I'm not forcing myself to beat games, that's just what I want to get out of a game. I don't find it fulfilling to just "experience" a game for some amount of time without beating it and moving on to the next game. That, to me, seemed what the question was aimed at.

Which is fine if you like it! As what you get out of games is always ment to be enjoyment, games are entertainment. But beating games that you may not like isn't seemingly fun to my recollection.

If you're not finding a game fun, why should it ever be a focus to finish the game? Closure? Pride? Or am I missing something here. . . If a game was never something one 'liked'? it wouldn't be much satisfaction to finish, as you're only putting yourself through a form of torture.

Would it not make more sense to just pick another game you may enjoy, and invest time in that. Because, it would be fun for you to 'play'. .

Don't know about you, but I've had a few games that didn't seem fun to my taste. Even if they got a lot of buzz and praise. And never had interest in finishing them one-way-or-another.

I'm sure everyone has bought a game they didn't enjoy, why put yourself though that. When all it will do is put you off games in general.

This isn't about me stating not beating a game ever, or even having a fun speed-run. It's about that being the focus of playing a new game_

Nwoprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nwoprime
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

@RSM-HQ: dude I'm 41 I know gaming no need to be rude I was just asking for ppl general opinion not personal guidance so let's be mature

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SoNin360

@RSM-HQ: Never said anything about playing through games I don't enjoy. And if I am enjoying a game, why shouldn't I aim to beat it? And you're really gonna hate this, but, I simply want to know how games end. Even if I'm having a mixed experience playing it. I want to complete the game before making a final judgment. For me, some games redeem what was an otherwise underwhelming experience towards the very end. So at the very least I'll know I gave the game a chance. These are pretty rare occasions, though. Of course I play games I know there's a good chance I'll like.

But I don't know, we may be getting off topic here. This is just how I like to play games and it's cool if you see it a different way. I simply like finishing what I'm playing before moving on. Like I said previously, I'm somewhat of a completionist. And I'm sure that very idea is bothering to you, but I'm happy with how I play games and that's all that matters to me.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ

@SoNin360: @nwoprime: I get the idea I'm being misunderstood_

Don't know why it's being seen as me being rude or offensive, calling a question "silly" is mild at best. No reason to be overly sensitive, when posting an oblivious question.

I'm not singling out anyone in this thread either. Unless they actually feel the way my posts describe, I don't know how you guys think. . If you want to see the conclusion to your favorite games? That's awesome! But at least you're liking what you are playing, and feel I've made that clear from the get-go_

There are people that don't really enjoy the games they play; and will push on for the completion mark, rather than enjoying the journey.

I don't think those people should be playing games, that's it. As it will only give them high levels of stress. And not enjoyment.

That's how I saw the question-

"Do you buy videogames to beat them or just for the experience?"

dude I'm 41

And that had relevance to my posts because? . . I don't judge people by age, gender, or race. And don't think my posts showed any such discrimination.

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Johnmclane26
Member since 2016 • 255 Posts

I intend to complete each game i buy otherwise i don't really feel like I've had my moneys worth, unless I've sunk a lot of hours in then i don't feel to bad if i don't actually fully complete the game.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I intend to complete every game I buy I don't buy many games nowadays so it's easy for me to concentrate on a handful of games.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

I think the title is weird, it should be "do you buy videogames to enjoy them/the experience or just to beat them"

Beating should be the just since that's literally the weird thing, people should buy video games to enjoy them.

chitosan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 chitosan87
Member since 2012 • 103 Posts

@nwoprime: at first I play games just to beat them and beat anyone I encounter (my brother, my mom - she is always better than me on Tetris, always, my friends). But then, from Nintendo, Playstation, PS2 until now I'm a regular PC user ... I seek for experiences. If I beat them, what did I got? Just pride and it wasn't permanent.

Now, I find games that could give me a new experience, better experience and so on. Each game is unique in their own ways, some were sucks but some were so memorable. Through games I learned about how to dealing with bad things, failures, difficulties, being precise, being patience and so much more that I couldn't get in school or books. Mostly games gave me an experience to always win but dare to sacrifice something for the price, and I found it convenient to live. Everything has its price.

Not everyone can enjoy games as I do or as you do. But games were made to gives us experiences that perhaps we are too afraid to do it in the real life or we are hoping not to experience it in real life. War might sound awesome in games, we shoot & blow things up. But in real life, it is horrible and we lost everything because of war.

That is my answer, mate.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I aim to complete the games I buy; I like to get my money's worth. But every now and then I encounter a game that just gets too tiresome to bother completing.

Bosseh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bosseh
Member since 2017 • 4 Posts

I usually buy a game, play the heck out of it for about a week, get over halfway through, and stop playing; sometimes to never play it again because I've gone back to the competitive csgo (2300 hours and I hate the game but im addicted :P)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@nwoprime said:

I have an enormous back log of video games on ps4 and xb1 or you satisfied just getting some hours in a game you buy are do you have to complete it

I am a completionist, so i always go for 100% of the game

Which is why i have a insane big back log , i don´t start a game if i know i won't be able to complete it.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

My aim is always to beat every game I buy but I prioritize the games that I really like. That's what leads to my constantly growing backlog lol

NecroZombiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NecroZombiac
Member since 2017 • 5 Posts

@nwoprime: I recently upgraded to a pro as well as getting a additional 2tb external to hold most of my ps4 games. Now as for why I buy games, honestly I think it's both. I always want to beat a game, so I mostly play single player these days, or co-op. If I do play multiplayer, it's normally a co-op pve experience I'm going for. Just being on a team of friends progressing through objectives at our own pace. But now I'm also having trouble focusing on one game at a time with so many available to me all at once x___x

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I spend a lot of time thinking about which games I want to get, and which games are worth the purchase. It isn't foolproof, I still buy the occasional turd. But I like to think that nowadays I mostly focus on picking up games I will really take an interest in and get value out of.

With the Switch, I really have some tough decisions about what to buy and not buy.

I got Zelda because I am a fan of the series, and that was in every way a tremendous purchase because the game exceeds expectations. I picked up Shovel Knight because I had never played the game before, and though it didn't grow on me right away, after playing through a few levels I really came to understand what makes it so great. I bought Blaster Master Zero mainly because I loved the 8-bit look they were going for, and came to find out after that it is a remake of an NES game, so that was a great discovery of a unique game thanks to the Switch. Snipperclips I bought because there is nothing else like that really, and I figure it would be fun to play with a date one day. Tumbleseed might be just about the most original sort of indie game in a good long while, no regrets there. The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth + I was initially on the fence about, but it is just a fantastic game packed with tons of content.

Going forward I have even less time for all of these games, but it becomes more of a popularity contest based off of which games are offering me the most when I want to play something. Sometimes you want to go back and play something you haven't touched in a while, other times you're engrossed in one massive game, or a brand new experience. But you'll always play favorites.

DarthGumballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DarthGumballs
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

@nwoprime: It's all about achievements :)